E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 10:54 AM   #21
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
Rack is not a "common" issue but if you have tools and DIY skills, it's easy enough to replace inexpensively. Everything in my sig needs to be done. I should add window regulators to my maintenance thing. good idea!

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:03 AM   #22
BlendZen

My Ride: '03 ZHP Saloon
If you have the means to maintain it, I think its a great deal for an 80k zhp. However, I say maintain because judging by the pictures and price, I doubt it has had much preventative maintenance done. The parts may look fine now, but you're getting to the mileage where a lot of small to medium things need to be done, and they can add up fast. Look at Mango's links for the authority on PM. I'm leaning toward a 2k estimate for the first year of my zhp.
BlendZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:10 AM   #23
DavidDee

My Ride: 2004 325xi
I've got the same interior in my car! I get compliments on it all the time. Sadly mine has the wood trim and not the cube trim he has.

"It has a radio and speakers but it's kinda hard to hear over horny bitches moanin in the back when I start it up.."
DavidDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:17 AM   #24
EmDeeAr

My Ride: 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtypinguin View Post
Hello Gents, new member here from Seattle

So I took a look at this car and had it inspected. It has a slight leak from the rack, small crack in windshield, driver side window goes up slower than the rest, front tires are looking worn (evenly). Other than that, its a great looking 2 owner car. Current owner has a growing family and needs something larger. We negotiated the price down to 12k.
Does this sound fair enough with the given issues? From reading the this forum, the rack and window regulator seem to be somewhat common issues on e46's.

Thanks for your input,
Alex
How many miles? 80k, right? $12000 is a great price, considering mine was $12.6k with 87k miles (bought it last week). Granted, mine already had 4 brand new tires and was a one-owner, so that might explain the price difference.

Go for it!!!

Oh and also, window regulators are a very common failure. The service history of my car shows that two of mine (sedan) were replaced under warranty. Now I need to replace the other two.....

Last edited by EmDeeAr; 03-08-2013 at 11:30 AM.
EmDeeAr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:28 AM   #25
dirtypinguin

My Ride: 330i ZHP Sedan
Yes the pictures are crummy, but the car looks great in person, and the cooling system has been addressed, albeit not to the extent of Mango's write up. I do my work on cars 80% of the time, when I don't I research/buy parts online and have my independent shop install/replace. I have never owned a E46 before.
dirtypinguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:30 AM   #26
dirtypinguin

My Ride: 330i ZHP Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmDeeAr View Post
How many miles? 80k, right? $12000 is a great price, considering mine was $12.6k with 87k miles (bought it last week). Granted, mine already had 4 brand new tires and was a one-owner, so that might explain the price difference.

Go for it!!!
That's quite the deal you got yourself!
dirtypinguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:04 PM   #27
EmDeeAr

My Ride: 330i ZHP
Quote:
That's quite the deal you got yourself!
Thanks; it's an awesome car.
EmDeeAr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:11 PM   #28
jonesenberg

My Ride: '04 330i ZHP 6spd
For reference; Paid $16.5K for an '04 ZHP in PDX with 59K miles, 3 years ago.
jonesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:25 PM   #29
Grande D

My Ride: Whiiiite BMW!
Quote:
Hello Gents, new member here from Seattle

So I took a look at this car and had it inspected. It has a slight leak from the rack, small crack in windshield, driver side window goes up slower than the rest, front tires are looking worn (evenly). Other than that, its a great looking 2 owner car. Current owner has a growing family and needs something larger. We negotiated the price down to 12k.
Does this sound fair enough with the given issues? From reading the this forum, the rack and window regulator seem to be somewhat common issues on e46's.

Thanks for your input,
Alex
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
Rack is not a "common" issue but if you have tools and DIY skills, it's easy enough to replace inexpensively. Everything in my sig needs to be done. I should add window regulators to my maintenance thing. good idea!
Are you sure it's not just a leak from the PS system? Because that's common. The hoses and the reservoir get weepy at 100k+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesenberg View Post
For reference; Paid $16.5K for an '04 ZHP in PDX with 59K miles, 3 years ago.
Great deal. But price varies with transmission, location, color combo etc. Your deal doesn't make this car look worse or better- it's really not right to compare.

i spend it while i can, if i run out i'll swallow all my meds
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:44 PM   #30
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
^ yeah it could be a weepy line from the reservoir

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:54 PM   #31
jonesenberg

My Ride: '04 330i ZHP 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grande D View Post
Great deal. But price varies with transmission, location, color combo etc. Your deal doesn't make this car look worse or better- it's really not right to compare.
Yup. Just thought some figures for a similar car in the same location might be helpful. We don't see them often around here.
jonesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:30 PM   #32
SpoiledBrat

My Ride: 330Ci zhp
Same as my car but without nav and a 4 door. Good taste
SpoiledBrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:33 PM   #33
E RaK

My Ride: 2001 325xit
That thing is gorgeous!