E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2014, 11:56 AM   #1
omodos

My Ride: 318 auto n42
loose cv boot clamp on inside or outer boot

noticed a little gunk in wheel arch and it was alas cv joint greese had seeped out of the end of the boot, boot was fine....and i noticed the oetiker clamp was loose to spin round....I searched high and low and ended up buying a complete febi boot kit so as to use the small clamp that i couldnt buy separately...hoepfully it will be a better tighter fit than the clamp that came with the gkn loebro boot....

question i have is whats the best way to try pump grease into the cv boot without taking it off, i will have to try this pupming from the side of the faulty clip i.e where the bellow is narrowest.....despite the fact that i only saw a couple of table sppons in arch i guess the same amount could have been spurted out and to the ground, so ideally do need to try an pump grease in.......any ideas much appreciated
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cv boot leak.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	557112   Click image for larger version

Name:	cv boot2.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	557113  

Last edited by omodos; 05-05-2014 at 11:59 AM.
omodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:15 PM   #2
Cavi Mike
Banned User

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Send a message via AIM to Cavi Mike Send a message via MSN to Cavi Mike Send a message via Yahoo to Cavi Mike
Whatever you may have found on your arch was not grease from your CV boot. It doesn't spin fast enough to fling grease like that. Even if it did, don't you think it would have thrown it onto all of the other components around it that are mysteriously bone dry? Use some common sense. The stuff on your arch came from sht your tires picked up.

It didn't lose enough grease to matter. Leave it alone.

Last edited by Cavi Mike; 05-05-2014 at 12:15 PM.
Cavi Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 01:19 PM   #3
Encryption76
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2000 328i
Send a message via MSN to Encryption76 Send a message via Skype™ to Encryption76
You bought a whole cv kit just for one crimp clamp?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-4-Pex-Stai...item337611f3db

Quote:
Originally Posted by choxor View Post
Ok, hero. You help him. According to his post, here are his symptoms:

?
Encryption76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 02:32 AM   #4
omodos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavi Mike View Post
Whatever you may have found on your arch was not grease from your CV boot. It doesn't spin fast enough to fling grease like that. Even if it did, don't you think it would have thrown it onto all of the other components around it that are mysteriously bone dry? Use some common sense. The stuff on your arch came from sht your tires picked up.

It didn't lose enough grease to matter. Leave it alone.
Cavi Mike, I caught the thing early that's why the whole underside of wheel arch was not covered in grease, if you see my first pic of the shaft in previous reply it has grease at the small end of the boot......no coincident that the clamp is loose?and free to spin?, i can also move the loose part of boot left and right as in attached pic attached where i moved it to the right, this cant be right it's loose, and yup as the other fellow said i bought a febi complete kit for 9 euros 11 odd dollars.....and will just use the clip and see if it is any tighter than the crap gkn one
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20140503_010.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	557220  
Old 05-06-2014, 02:37 AM   #5
omodos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encryption76 View Post
You bought a whole cv kit just for one crimp clamp?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-4-Pex-Stai...item337611f3db

yes indeed, annoying eh? i could have waited and seen if i could order and wait for one or 2 from the web BUT damn i need the car...and dont' wanna drive it without the clip....i guess a zip tie would have held it in place for a while but i just wanna put on a proper metal clamp and be done with it....plus will be taking to a local petrol station get it raised on the ramp makes it much easier i guess than me having to take off wheel after raising it, and then cramming myself in the there to try pump grease in joint and then clean it and the apply new clip
Old 05-06-2014, 05:21 AM   #6
Cavi Mike
Banned User

Send a message via AIM to Cavi Mike Send a message via MSN to Cavi Mike Send a message via Yahoo to Cavi Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by omodos View Post
Cavi Mike, I caught the thing early that's why the whole underside of wheel arch was not covered in grease, if you see my first pic of the shaft in previous reply it has grease at the small end of the boot.
How do you know you "caught the thing early?" And I already explained that it doesn't spin fast enough to throw grease onto the wheel arch. And I'll say it again - look at all of the stuff right next to it that has ZERO grease on it. How do you think grease is gonna manage to make it all the way to your arch but not even splatter onto the stuff right next to it?

Use common sense.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:59 AM   #7
omodos

Quote:
How do you know you "caught the thing early?" And I already explained that it doesn't spin fast enough to throw grease onto the wheel arch. And I'll say it again - look at all of the stuff right next to it that has ZERO grease on it. How do you think grease is gonna manage to make it all the way to your arch but not even splatter onto the stuff right next to it?

Use common sense.
Cavi Mike, ok lets say the grease that seeped out of the small end of the bellow is nothing, should the clamp on the boot move round quite freely by hand and should the small end of the bellow move on the shaft again from left to right because I check all the other clips on the shafts and they are rock hard in place
Old 05-06-2014, 01:35 PM   #8
Cavi Mike
Banned User

I'd simply try crimping the old clamp tighter first.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:29 PM   #9
ixtoxi

My Ride: 02 330xi, 88 325iX
Quote:
And I already explained that it doesn't spin fast enough to throw grease onto the wheel arch. And I'll say it again - look at all of the stuff right next to it that has ZERO grease on it. How do you think grease is gonna manage to make it all the way to your arch but not even splatter onto the stuff right next to it?

Use common sense.
Um, I guess you have never seen what happens when a CV boot rips. Grease does, indeed, get flung inside the wheel, the wheel arch, and everywhere else located radially from the leak. Xi's have this problem with the front CV joints, and it is really a nasty mess.
ixtoxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 02:30 AM   #10
omodos

ixtoxi and cavi mike thanks, i tried to crimp it more and it wont crimp further the 'ear' you crimp both bits of it are touching if you know what i mean, yup seen em tear, thats why i replaced em....this seemed to be a small leak