E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 03:50 PM   #1
madunix

My Ride: Silver 01' BMW 325ci
Need advice on 01' 330i that does not move in "D"

What's up everyone, i'm considering buying an 01 330i. Everything is working/running on the car, except the transmission, where the car does not move in "D". Putting it in "R" reverse and "P" still engages and works though. Any input anyone? And also, how much would you pay for something like this? How much do you figure it'll cost to repair as well. Any input is appreciated, thank you.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/cto/3668012632.html
madunix is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:41 PM   #2
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
You can pull the shifter to the side when in D, this puts the transmission logic into Sport Mode. When the shifter is in this position, you can then move it fore and aft to manually select gears.

Engaging P is meaningless, all this is is N, with pins that lock into a gear to keep it from turning.

R selects a hydraulic routine, and D selects another hydraulic routine.

If the car is EXCELLENT except for the transmission, then deduct the price of a trans rebuild to arrive at a price. For example, the car is worth $6,000, trans. repairs are $1,750 plus transportation costs to get it to the shop, let's say $250 just to illustrate the point. So, $6,000 - $2,000 = $4,000. Obviously, you need to know the real numbers, but you should go into this expecting a rebuild/replacement, and hope that all you need is a valve body or something even more easy to replace.

Locate the NO REVERSE thread (pinned to the top of the forum) and you can determine which transmission you have, and perhaps shed some light on what sort of repairs are needed. Your car does not have a trans that is prone to No Reverse, but the thread talks about lots of issues, one of them might hit on your symptoms.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:27 PM   #3
adaseb

My Ride: 2002 BMW 320i
The car costs $3500 and the repair will be $3500 for the transmission repair.

If it was a cheap $50 repair, don't you think he would of repaired it?
adaseb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:48 PM   #4
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by adaseb View Post
The car costs $3500 and the repair will be $3500 for the transmission repair.

If it was a cheap $50 repair, don't you think he would of repaired it?
Not if he did not know it was a $50 repair.

I bought an '00 323i that would not go into R. The seller was told that he needed a new trans. After looking it up, I rolled the dice and bought the car. I fixed it for $80 for a part, plus $175 for fluid service that I don't have the inclination to do. I paid $2500 for the car, plus $80 for a part, plus $175 for the fluid change, plus another couple of hundred -- $300-ish -- for the Check Engine light and a leaky valve cover gasket. That adds up to just under $3000 for the car that had a Private Party Value (assuming no repairs needed) of something closer to $5000. If I had to replace/rebuild the trans, then I would be at that $5000 mark in my purchase price/costs, but I found that I only needed a $80 part to fix the major malfunction.

You describe a car that costs $3500 to buy, and another $3500 to fix, that makes the car $7000. Is this a fair price in your market? I think you can fix the trans for less than $3500, by the way.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:57 PM   #5
lcoleman

My Ride: '79 Massey Ferguson
^That is an exception, not a rule. Given the number of e46s on the market, I would move on and find another. $3500 isn't really a steal anyway.

Aha, I see the trans was already rebuilt. Supposedly no original parts are available, only aftermarket one from China or the like. I don't know that for sure, but this definitely makes me think so.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:03 PM   #6
madunix

My Ride: Silver 01' BMW 325ci
Alright guys, I appreciate the input, I'll leave this deal alone. Thanks guys.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Bimmer App
madunix is offline   Reply With Quote