E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2013, 10:04 AM   #41
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
HK was not so bad when the cars were new. The sedan system is better than the coupes. At this point, most of our systems sound pretty bad.
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:11 AM   #42
05_325xi

My Ride: 2005 BMW 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grande D View Post
HK was not so bad when the cars were new. The sedan system is better than the coupes. At this point, most of our systems sound pretty bad.
I gotta say my 2002 Lexus Is300 oem sound system was alot better than my 2005 bmw 325xi which to me makes no sense because Lexus is toyota and BMW is BMW which is high end
Old 03-10-2013, 10:22 AM   #43
scarede46er

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325i ZSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05_325xi View Post
I gotta say my 2002 Lexus Is300 oem sound system was alot better than my 2005 bmw 325xi which to me makes no sense because Lexus is toyota and BMW is BMW which is high end
I think Lexus of that vintage used actual mark Levinson components while BMW used Harman kardon in name only. In don't think any of the actual HK components in the after market were built like that.
scarede46er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:22 PM   #44
Rezist09

My Ride: 325i sedan
Bump
What speaker brand would be outstanding to replace the stock woofers?
I was looking at Rockford fosgate
Rezist09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:46 PM   #45
GDubois

My Ride: Coupè
I just replaced both my rear woofers with new OEM. Sounds pretty good to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpgolf1 View Post
The e46 M3 is by far the most boring and worst M3 that BMW has made to date.
GDubois is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:53 PM   #46
scarede46er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezist09 View Post
Bump
What speaker brand would be outstanding to replace the stock woofers?
I was looking at Rockford fosgate
TBH, ANY aftermarket namebrand speaker would be better than the crap BMW has supplied the E46 with. Rockfords will be alright.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:31 PM   #47
Sloop

My Ride: 2001 330cic
Send a message via Skype™ to Sloop
I know NOTHING about sound upgrades.
I have no idea what to do, I'm getting a headunit as we speak, but for speaker upgrades what would be recommended?
Not deep into the audio scene, but I LOVE my music. If that paints a picture. haha

I have an e46 330cic
Old 11-26-2013, 02:46 PM   #48
Jsmk23

My Ride: 02 325i-JapanRot Red
e46 speaker upgrade questions

What size on the ones on the front door for the sedan? Mine finally blew out

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Jsmk23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 02:41 PM   #49
nleksan

My Ride: 328Ci, 325i, 740i
Send a message via AIM to nleksan
I have yet to hear a bad speaker from Focal, from their cheapest speakers to the Utopia kit7, I really find them to be a great deal better than Alpine, Etc. I can also recommend Pioneer for subwoofers, as far as slim enclosure models go.

The thing to understand is that there is no one component that is more important than the rest (except wire; so long as it's legit, proper size wire, you will NEVER hear a difference between $50 and $5,000 wire; I do audio engineering, and the not even pseudoscientific crap surrounding audio equipment makes me want to strangle the people selling the stuff with their own $50,000 cables!). What matters is that everything is properly matched to the rest, and that you don't have any "weak point" on the system because I promise you that the one flaw will overpower the rest of the good, regardless.
Car audio is different from home audio, and thus not something I can claim any degree of expertise in, but I can say that unlike home audio, where you can get $200 speakers that are LITERALLY as good or better than most $2000 speakers, the same does not seem to hold as true.

- DPE - Apex - BBS - PFC 6/4 2pc BBK - KW Clubsport - PowerFlex -
- M-Tech - Rogue Engineering - Ground Control - Odyssey -
- Hotchkis - AFE - UUC - AKG - Dinan - VAC - TC Kline -
- TMS - OS Giken - SuperSprint - Vorsteiner - Recaro - Samco - Fluidyne - MORE! -
GARAGE:
- 2000 328Ci Topaz 6MT-Swap ZSP/ZPP/ZCW/HID/HK (Street/Track)
- 2001 325i TiAg 5MT/ZSP/ZCW (Street)
- 2006 M3 ZCP AW/IR 6MT/ZCP/HID (Street)
nleksan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:43 AM   #50
Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarede46er View Post
Actually, BSW is neither the best nor even good value for money. For less than the price of just the subwoofer, you can get Boston Acoustics all around (you need 6.5s). Get components for the front, mount the tweeter in the right place. Run wires underneath your hand brake shroud, underneath the back seat to the trunk. Mount a 4 channel amp, reuse the existing speaker wiring (get a color code diagram, available on the internet for free). I would replace the head unit unless you must have the original look. Sell your two OEM amps for dinero and get the entire system for about 500 dollars.
You sound like you know what you're talking about, what would you recommend from BA?
The price/ quality ratio is in effect for me by the way.
I can't get any real answers on fabrication!
Old 12-10-2013, 12:00 PM   #51
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsmk23 View Post
What size on the ones on the front door for the sedan? Mine finally blew out

The mid-woofers are 5.25" or 5.5". The mids are 2" and the tweets are???"

markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:03 PM   #52
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloop View Post
You sound like you know what you're talking about, what would you recommend from BA?
Here's what I did with my 2001 330Ci coupe:
Fronts-
- mid-woofer: 6.25" Diamond Audio Tech
- mid: Vifa 2" full range
- SEAS tweets
Rears - Infinity Perfect 6.1 Kappa
Amp - JL 400/4

Sounds great.

markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:07 PM   #53
scarede46er

Quote:
You don't really need to fabricate enclosures etc. As long as the speakers are not very deep (less than 9 inches I think, but make sure by measuring the space), they should fit very well behind the door panel. There is not a significant constraint for the rear speakers.

With respect to Boston, since i wrote this, the company has exited the car audio market While that is sad, the good news is that you can pick up new old stock for pretty cheap if you look at the right places. They also last forever.. I have had my current Boston setup for 10 years now over different cars and they still sound brilliant. I would recommend something like the S60 in the back and pro60s in the front. Actually, you don't really need a tweeter at the back, but won't hurt anything.

For the amp, I have an Alpine 4 channel to power each of the components as well as Blaupunkt mono amp for the subwoofer, which is a Boston G5 dual voice coil one (arguably one of the best, unless you have the moolah for a SPG555). My head unit has 3 pre-outs, but make sure the one you buy has at least two. It makes a world of difference in SQ.

I am a big fan of the Boston sound, but if you are unable to locate components now that the company only makes home audio, you can go with similar offerings from Polk Audio, which has similar aural characteristics. Feel free to ask any questions
Old 12-10-2013, 12:13 PM   #54
Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by markusmarkus View Post
Here's what I did with my 2001 330Ci coupe:
Fronts-
- mid-woofer: 6.25" Diamond Audio Tech
- mid: Vifa 2" full range
- SEAS tweets
Rears - Infinity Perfect 6.1 Kappa
Amp - JL 400/4

Sounds great.

Thanks brotha! I'm going to continnue my research with this. I've heard good things about diamond audio! Worth the price?

Quote:
You don't really need to fabricate enclosures etc. As long as the speakers are not very deep (less than 9 inches I think, but make sure by measuring the space), they should fit very well behind the door panel. There is not a significant constraint for the rear speakers.

With respect to Boston, since i wrote this, the company has exited the car audio market While that is sad, the good news is that you can pick up new old stock for pretty cheap if you look at the right places. They also last forever.. I have had my current Boston setup for 10 years now over different cars and they still sound brilliant. I would recommend something like the S60 in the back and pro60s in the front. Actually, you don't really need a tweeter at the back, but won't hurt anything.

For the amp, I have an Alpine 4 channel to power each of the components as well as Blaupunkt mono amp for the subwoofer, which is a Boston G5 dual voice coil one (arguably one of the best, unless you have the moolah for a SPG555). My head unit has 3 pre-outs, but make sure the one you buy has at least two. It makes a world of difference in SQ.

I am a big fan of the Boston sound, but if you are unable to locate components now that the company only makes home audio, you can go with similar offerings from Polk Audio, which has similar aural characteristics. Feel free to ask any questions
I'll look for your suggested models, as I'm intending to purchase something this week
By no fabrication, I don't need an adapter or anything? I was just going to make one, since I've got the tools.
I'm going piece by piece, so I was thinking on going front mids first!
I'm trying to learn more about all of this business, and I appreciate your help!
Old 12-10-2013, 12:18 PM   #55
scarede46er

Quote:

I'll look for your suggested models, as I'm intending to purchase something this week
By no fabrication, I don't need an adapter or anything? I was just going to make one, since I've got the tools.
I'm going piece by piece, so I was thinking on going front mids first!
I'm trying to learn more about all of this business, and I appreciate your help!
If by adapter you mean the rings that attach to the speakers and the speaker baskets, then they should come with the speakers. Also, I would recommend you leave the mid woofer disconnected and merely install 6 inch components in the opening for the woofer.
Old 12-10-2013, 12:22 PM   #56
Sloop

Quote:
If by adapter you mean the rings that attach to the speakers and the speaker baskets, then they should come with the speakers. Also, I would recommend you leave the mid woofer disconnected and merely install 6 inch components in the opening for the woofer.
The BA's are generally off the market, unless I'm willing to spend $400. I feel weird doing that for something used, am I wrong to feel this way? You've already lost me ELI5? ahahah Explain like I'm five!
Old 12-10-2013, 12:30 PM   #57
scarede46er

Quote:
The BA's are generally off the market, unless I'm willing to spend $400. I feel weird doing that for something used, am I wrong to feel this way? You've already lost me ELI5? ahahah Explain like I'm five!
I agree since used could be a gamble. I would say go with Polk audio or JBLs.. which have a similar flat response.
Old 12-10-2013, 12:33 PM   #58
Sloop

Quote:
I agree since used could be a gamble. I would say go with Polk audio or JBLs.. which have a similar flat response.
http://www.amazon.com/Focal-Access-6...pr_product_top
Focals? I've only heard good things!
What are some solid from JBL?
The GTO 938's are supposedly great right?
Old 12-10-2013, 12:35 PM   #59
Sloop

http://www.amazon.com/GTO638-2-inch-...pr_product_top
Or these!
Old 12-10-2013, 12:36 PM   #60
scarede46er

Quote:
http://www.amazon.com/Focal-Access-6...pr_product_top
Focals? I've only heard good things!
What are some solid from JBL?
The GTO 938's are supposedly great right?
You mean GTO638s. The 938s are 6x9 and won't fit. Awesome choice, BTW. JBLs have brilliant tweeters.

Tags
sound system, speakers, speakers oem non-hk