E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-30-2013, 07:03 PM   #21
latino1ny

My Ride: BSM 335i
I read through this list of questions and all replied posts, but didn't see an answer and couldn't find an answer using the "search" function. I have OEM xenon (not bi-xenon) so my lows take a D2S bulb. I assume they are running 35watt ballasts. I'm looking to upgrade to a 55watt ballast, but I can't find anywhere that sells replacement/upgrade ballasts for the OEM D2S application. Does anyone know where I can get 55watt ballasts for my OEM xenons? I've had my headlights out and apart before and the ballasts are shaped different than most "aftermarket" HID kit ballasts, otherwise I'd just use one of those.
'08 BSM E92 335i 6MT/KW V1s/matte black grills/blacked out side markers/complete LED interior kit/DCI/M-aero front lip/Alcantara shift boot/Clutch stop/CDV delete/LED reverse lights/muffler delete/Cyba scoops/3.8" Cyba tips

latino1ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:24 PM   #22
sillieidiot

My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
i think you couldn't find the answer because that's not really a trouble shooting question.

there isn't an OEM ballast that does 55w (well you can get them supercharged, but it will cost so much that it's pointless). it's required by law to be 35w. aftermarket ballasts are the only way to go. and since you have regular xenons, you don't have to deal with the bixenon issues from going with aftermarket ballasts.

Have a lighting problem? Read this first:
Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide
sillieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:01 AM   #23
latino1ny

Hmm, ok I'm still a bit confused. I know there isn't a BMW OEM ballast that does 55w, but is there an aftermarket company that makes a 55w ballast that fits into the OEM ballast location? Basically I'm looking to remove the OEM ballast and replace it with an aftermarket 55w ballast. Otherwise I don't understand how it would work, being that I have OEM Xenons. Please correct me, because I know I'm wrong, but the way I'm understanding it if I were to buy an aftermarket "kit" I'd be running 2 ballasts? I've installed HID kits before. They come with the wiring harness (so you don't fry your stock wires) ballasts and xenon bulbs. The kits that I have used were plug-n-play so all you do is remove the factory halogen bulb, plug the wiring harness into where the bulb usually goes, the other end of the wiring harness goes to the ballast, then to the HID bulb. So, by that logic, since I already HAVE xenons with ballasts, if I were to unplug the xenon bulb, plug in the harness, then the aftermarket ballast and aftermarket bulbs I'd essentially be running 2 ballasts per light. I KNOW this has to be wrong. But I can't find a company that offers a 55w "replacement" of the factory ballast (basically so I'd remove the headlight, remove the factory ballast, install the aftermarket 55w ballast in the factory location and put everything back together) Do you know of anywhere that sells aftermarket 55w ballasts? Sorry if that doesn't make sense, I'm not really sure how to explain it.
'08 BSM E92 335i 6MT/KW V1s/matte black grills/blacked out side markers/complete LED interior kit/DCI/M-aero front lip/Alcantara shift boot/Clutch stop/CDV delete/LED reverse lights/muffler delete/Cyba scoops/3.8" Cyba tips

Old 06-01-2013, 10:25 AM   #24
sillieidiot

there isn't one that goes in the stock location. technically you could do a custom install and use the factory location and do it that way, but that is way more work than it needs to be.

but by going with aftermarket, you would have to remove the stock ballast and the stock ignitor. then you just bypass all of that and install it like you would with halogens. you'll need to cut a hole in the back of the rubber cover to feed the wires going to the bulb.

Old 06-01-2013, 11:46 AM   #25
latino1ny

Hmm, ok. I see. I've found on another website that said I could use D2S adapters. So I looked those up and they basically adapt the aftermarket ballasts to run our stock xenon bulbs. (NOTE: ALL IMAGES ARE SOURCED FROM GOOGLE)

So, since I already have a pair of aftermarket 55w ballasts from another vehicle, the only thing I would need would be an adapter to fit the ballast to the OEM wiring harness. I read the stock OEM wiring harness can handle the load of the 55w ballasts. If this is untrue I can run a seperate wiring harness, but I still have 1 last question. I don't really feel like pulling my headlight out and disassembling it to see what the connection looks like. but if I were to unplug the OEM ballast, what does the "plug in" look like that I'd need to adapt to? Basically my aftermarket ballasts have a "plug in" that looks like this:

So I'd need an adapter to go from the factory wiring to be able to plug into that socket.

Do you have a picture (or can you source one) of the OEM ballast "plug in"? I've searched Google but couldn't find one that shows where the wires connect to it.

Last edited by latino1ny; 06-01-2013 at 11:50 AM.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:34 PM   #26
latino1ny

ok, went out to my car and disconnected the wiring to the "low beam" which actually goes to the ballast. So, I saw the type of plug I need. I just don't know what it's called. It looks like a 9006, or the H7 but with slightly different clip positions. Basically you can see it to the right of the written word "flashing/" here:

It's the grey connection. Do you happen to know what "size" that is? I tried a wiring harness that I had laying around (9006) and it wouldn't fit but it was really close. So it looks like I just need a wiring harness that goes from that plug to adapt to my aftermarket ballasts, and those D2S adapters.

Old 06-01-2013, 02:01 PM   #27
sillieidiot

the stock connector is a 9006 connection. it should fit in the ballast you pictured. you might have to push it really hard though since aftermarket ballasts have variances in the size if their 9006 connectors (some a little small, some a little big). yes you will need those D2S adaptors. and yes you will also need a wiring harness to protect the LCM.

i would open up the headlights to remove the igniter and remove the OEM ballast since you're not using it.

Old 06-01-2013, 04:29 PM   #28
latino1ny

Hmm, ok, then I'll try to push harder (didn't want to break anything) The ballast I pictured was just a random pull from Google, but the 55w ballast I have has the same type of connection. I planned to get a wiring harness anyways, after going to to my car and looking at the stock wiring, I wouldnt trust running 55w ballast on that. Not saying it couldn't handle it, but I'd rather be safe than sorry, especially playing around with headlights. Is there any downside to leaving the OEM igniter and ballast in the housing (since nothing will be connected to it I don't really see the problem.) I figure if I leave everythign in the housing and I happen to have a problem with my 55w set up down the road (ballast goes out or what have you) I could disconnect from the 55w ballast and reconnect to the OEM ballast until I got the problem fixed. That's a lot easier than removing the ballast and igniter and then having to reinstall it should a problem arise. Unless there is a problem with leaving them attached to the housing. I plan to mount the 55w aftermarket ballast externally, probably somewhere under the fender (I'm not really sure I haven't actually taken a look to see where I have space) but I'm not going to put it in the factory location.

Old 06-02-2013, 11:50 AM   #29
sillieidiot

well the wiring could support it, however, it would kill the LCM.

the ballast, not really. the ignitor might get in the way of the autoleveling. since there is really nowhere to put the part that goes onto the back of the bulb. unless you want to just cut off the connector or forgo the autoleveling altogether. then it should be fine.

Old 06-02-2013, 01:04 PM   #30
latino1ny

I disabled my aoutlevelling a long time ago. The passenger side arm broke, so whenever I would turn my headlights on and the car would do the initial auto level, it would always throw off my beam due to the broken arm, so I just undid both connections to the autolevel, then found a flat wall with 25' distance, and aimed my headlights manually. Haven't had a problem since. The arms and motors and everything for the autolevelling function is still installed, I just dosconnected the wiring at the top of the headlight.

Old 06-02-2013, 02:57 PM   #31
sillieidiot

then you should be good. i had no prior knowledge of that so yeah lol

Old 07-20-2013, 10:15 PM   #32
BMW-JB

My Ride: 2005 325i
I am new to the forum so I hope I am posting this question in th right thread. I have a 2005 325i with OE ZWK bi-xenons. Car is not quite 9 years old and about 88K. Recently the left high beamm shutter stopped lifting, but right side is working, as are all other lights / lighting functions. At first my shop said it was the LCM but after they replaced that and it did not fix it, they said it was the solemoid and that I would have to replace the assembly. Not wanting to invest over $1000 for a solenoid, especially when there are real mechanical parts that need to be replaced, I started loking for used assemblies (hard to find and still more than I want to pay) and then projectors. I have seen some on eBay and such in the $50 - $65 range. Question is can any OE E46 bi-xenon projector go into the ZWK assembly or does the projector also have to be ZWK? I know ther are aftermarket upgrades from reading this site but my preference is to keep cost low in a car that will likely only be used a few more years.
BMW-JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 02:56 PM   #33
sillieidiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-JB View Post
I am new to the forum so I hope I am posting this question in th right thread. I have a 2005 325i with OE ZWK bi-xenons. Car is not quite 9 years old and about 88K. Recently the left high beamm shutter stopped lifting, but right side is working, as are all other lights / lighting functions. At first my shop said it was the LCM but after they replaced that and it did not fix it, they said it was the solemoid and that I would have to replace the assembly. Not wanting to invest over $1000 for a solenoid, especially when there are real mechanical parts that need to be replaced, I started loking for used assemblies (hard to find and still more than I want to pay) and then projectors. I have seen some on eBay and such in the $50 - $65 range. Question is can any OE E46 bi-xenon projector go into the ZWK assembly or does the projector also have to be ZWK? I know ther are aftermarket upgrades from reading this site but my preference is to keep cost low in a car that will likely only be used a few more years.
did you check the wires/connection that is used for the high beam activations? a lot of times it could just be a bad connection.

other than that, you would need a ZKW projector for it to work.

i might have a working solenoid sitting around somewhere you can buy off me if you want. i'll have to look for it.

Old 07-21-2013, 03:20 PM   #34
BMW-JB

Thanks, I would be interested in the solenoid and try that, especially since I got answers that all the projectors I found are Bosch.

Regarding wires; I would think that if the shop had the assembly out at least 3 times, replaced the LCM once with a test unit. opnce with the new and again with the original unit going back in, all the connections would have been off and on that many times - or is that a wrong assumption?
Old 07-21-2013, 03:37 PM   #35
sillieidiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-JB View Post
Thanks, I would be interested in the solenoid and try that, especially since I got answers that all the projectors I found are Bosch.

Regarding wires; I would think that if the shop had the assembly out at least 3 times, replaced the LCM once with a test unit. opnce with the new and again with the original unit going back in, all the connections would have been off and on that many times - or is that a wrong assumption?
yeah it's off, but that doesn't mean the pins in the connectors themselves are getting good contact. if anything taking them on/off multiple times would have made it worst lol the wires/connector is something i would have checked first, easy fix.

and honestly, the fact that your shop jumped from that straight to LCM makes me think that they are in it for the money since the LCM is a high priced item. i would have checked the wiring first. then tried to power it up outside of the car. if that doesn't work, then there's no way it's the LCM. since you can't buy the solenoid by itself usually, the next logical step would be to suggest you replace the headlight. i could go on lol LCM would be the very last suggestion imo.

i'll go check for the solenoid, i'll send you a PM if/when I find it.

Old 07-21-2013, 03:59 PM   #36
BMW-JB

I can see where it sounds that way about the shop. But it is a one guy owner who I have been going to for years. BMW trained, competes in autocross and a Dinan installer. He has done well enough to need a few guys working for him so I don't know who was troubleshooting it and this is the first electrical issue I have had. All his previous mechanical work has been spot on and he has a number of guys who he preps their cars for racing. Might not see lighting issues too often. In any case, this is a repair I can handle, so I will and leave the mechanical repairs to him.

Greatly appreciate the help and ping me if you find the part. Cheers!
Old 07-24-2013, 06:26 PM   #37
smokeysevin

My Ride: R56 Mini Cooper S
I have an 05 325ci vert with a dead passengers side oem bixenon, I pulled the light out and checked everything and it was a basket case, the lamp, ballast and projector are all good but the wiring is trashed, is there anywhere that sells an oem light harness (internal)?

Thanks for the post, very informative. I will try and post the pictures of what I am talking about later, the insulation is just falling off the wires. In all honesty I am lucky it didn't catch fire.

Sean
smokeysevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:17 PM   #38
sillieidiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeysevin View Post
I have an 05 325ci vert with a dead passengers side oem bixenon, I pulled the light out and checked everything and it was a basket case, the lamp, ballast and projector are all good but the wiring is trashed, is there anywhere that sells an oem light harness (internal)?

Thanks for the post, very informative. I will try and post the pictures of what I am talking about later, the insulation is just falling off the wires. In all honesty I am lucky it didn't catch fire.

Sean
I think I know what you are talking about. It happens to a small percentage of people. It's the insulation coming off the 3 wires that plug into the igniter right?

There is no wiring that can be bought. But if it's not too badly damaged, it can be repaired. You'll just need to know (or know someone) that can solder.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:09 PM   #39
smokeysevin

My Ride: R56 Mini Cooper S
That is sort of what I figured, I have experience doing automotive chassis and ecu wiring harnesses but I couldn't figure out how to get the damn thing out.

Thanks for the reply, is there any guide on how to remove the projector assembly from the headlight housing?

Sean
smokeysevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:15 PM   #40
BMW-JB

What I have found so far ...

To remove assy video

To remove assy pix http://www.bigpatsfans.com/hl/headlight.htm

To remove projector pix http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=332078

To remove projector video

Tags