E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-29-2013, 09:39 PM   #61
fraserp

My Ride: 2006 e46 Cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by ti317 View Post
It's a European parking light feature, shut the car off, move the stalk to the side you want to turn on and the front and rear park lights stay on. This marks the outside of the car with less drain on the battery.
thanks for letting me know, i just learned something new about my car, wow are there more. thanks to this site and you guys i am getting alot if things fixed, learning alot and getting some major ideas thanks again, still owe you guys some beers, (one day )
fraserp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:45 PM   #62
ikeupinya
Stay modded my friends!!!

My Ride: shalt not be riced!!
^^^ No prob "Brooklyn"!!! Just bring da beers to Bimmerfest East next year
Old 12-31-2013, 12:52 AM   #63
bof116

My Ride: 318ci coupe e46
hi im new to this site im john

iv got a 318ici coupe my number plate lights and fog lights and to more on the back off my car r not working the lamps r ok and im not fitting led wood this be the
lcm unit and if so can i just swop over with no problems

help on this wood be good please
bof116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:00 AM   #64
ti317

My Ride: 02 330ci coupe 5 spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by bof116 View Post
hi im new to this site im john

iv got a 318ici coupe my number plate lights and fog lights and to more on the back off my car r not working the lamps r ok and im not fitting led wood this be the
lcm unit and if so can i just swop over with no problems

help on this wood be good please
Why go straight to LCM? Check all of your fuses, get a good digital meter and see if you have power at the lights themselves. Get or make some long test leads and put the meter in "fox and hound" mode and see if you have continuity from the LCM to the rear lights, from the fuse terminal to the lights. When doing your testing, make sure you have a good ground or direct connection to the negative terminal of the battery.

If you replace the LCM, you will need to recode it to take care of the tamper dot on the cluster.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:14 AM   #65
bof116

hi thanks for getting back cant were r the fuses for the the lights as we cant find them we have not taken out the lmc yet

thanks for help
Old 03-01-2014, 02:11 PM   #66
aldeghij

My Ride: 2003 330i
Well, that was interesting. My passenger side headlight went out, so I switched the sides of the bulbs and now they both work again. I noticed, however that I can smell something like burning electrical down by the driver's side headlight now. I have the bi-xenons on an '03 330i. Burning electrical smells always concern me....
Old 03-02-2014, 04:08 AM   #67
bof116

light faults

fitted new lcm unit all sorted now but if any one do replace keep the old one with the car as it leave a dot on the dash

very easy job to fit new and you can get them on e bay
Old 03-02-2014, 02:54 PM   #68
sillieidiot

My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldeghij View Post
Well, that was interesting. My passenger side headlight went out, so I switched the sides of the bulbs and now they both work again. I noticed, however that I can smell something like burning electrical down by the driver's side headlight now. I have the bi-xenons on an '03 330i. Burning electrical smells always concern me....
yeah that doesn't sound you. you should take the bulbs back out to see what it is. i think it could be the igniter connector (red plug that goes on the end of the bulb).

Have a lighting problem? Read this first:
Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide
sillieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 03:51 PM   #69
bof116

i had more than one light out and lights on the dash but that bit all sorted now iv replaced unit .
Old 03-02-2014, 04:55 PM   #70
sillieidiot

Quote:
fitted new lcm unit all sorted now but if any one do replace keep the old one with the car as it leave a dot on the dash

very easy job to fit new and you can get them on e bay
Quote:
i had more than one light out and lights on the dash but that bit all sorted now iv replaced unit .
yeah you stated that twice already. to get rid of the tamper dot, you need to have the LCM reprogrammed for your car. keeping the old one won't do anything because after 60 miles or so, the descrepancy will be too much between the cluster and the old one you have. so when you put it back there will be an error either way.

Old 03-19-2014, 09:19 PM   #71
Kayss

My Ride: Bmw 328i 1999
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1395281650.462972.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	550716
Trying to troubleshoot a problem. First it would be nice if I knew what headlights I'm currently running so I've attached a photo. Are these the retrofit xenon projectors or are these stock?

The problem is that when I turn them on I've noticed only the drivers side one moves up and down and the passenger side doesn't move at all. Sometimes the passenger side headlight flickers when I turn it on. Could there be a connection between these issues?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1395281960.866143.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	195.0 KB
ID:	550725

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Kayss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 02:20 AM   #72
sillieidiot

looks like factory single xenons with blue angel eyes.

you might want to check the connection for the autoleveling. as for the flicker, it could be a number or things. i would follow the steps on the guide to isolate the problem.

Old 04-01-2014, 06:45 AM   #73
gspadez

My Ride: 2003 330i
Anything in drl. . Mine don't seem to turn on I have 03 330i I've seen other similar years and 330i with drl any help? I think i have single xenon, was thinking of installing angels but I'm not sure if I need drl for the angel eyes..another thing is i believe the bulbs are h7 if I use my indicator to flash they turn on so I kno the bulbs work...

Last edited by gspadez; 04-01-2014 at 07:39 AM.
gspadez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 03:45 PM   #74
sillieidiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspadez View Post
Anything in drl. . Mine don't seem to turn on I have 03 330i I've seen other similar years and 330i with drl any help? I think i have single xenon, was thinking of installing angels but I'm not sure if I need drl for the angel eyes..another thing is i believe the bulbs are h7 if I use my indicator to flash they turn on so I kno the bulbs work...

DRLs need to be coded to be turned on or off.

if you use angel eyes, you can have them act as your DRLs. you don't need the DRLs turned on.

Old 05-23-2014, 01:25 AM   #75
ac_2007

My Ride: F32 M4, E46 M3/325i
First off, great thread. It will certainly help readers understand the inner workings of the E46 lighting system.

Now, my issue: The passenger side xenon on my 2004 M3 was flickering intermitenly, and now finally goes off after about 30 seconds.
The driver side xenon went off for a couple times today as well (first day). So I'm trying to find out, do I need 2 new balasts, or to check the taillight ground?

I've already swapped bulbs, its not the bulbs.
Also, the xenons will turn on right away again if I flip the switch on & off. That means its not the igniters from what I'm reading.

Could it be the LCM?
Could it be a taillight ground?
Could it be the ballasts themselves?

Where would you start looking?
ac_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 02:51 AM   #76
sillieidiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_2007 View Post
First off, great thread. It will certainly help readers understand the inner workings of the E46 lighting system.

Now, my issue: The passenger side xenon on my 2004 M3 was flickering intermitenly, and now finally goes off after about 30 seconds.
The driver side xenon went off for a couple times today as well (first day). So I'm trying to find out, do I need 2 new balasts, or to check the taillight ground?

I've already swapped bulbs, its not the bulbs.
Also, the xenons will turn on right away again if I flip the switch on & off. That means its not the igniters from what I'm reading.

Could it be the LCM?
Could it be a taillight ground?
Could it be the ballasts themselves?

Where would you start looking?
Well you really only did the first step to isolate the problem. Since it's not the bulb, why don't you proceed to the next step which is to swap the ballast? It'll tell you which you need at that point.

The other side is probably dying because you are turning it on/off so many times in quick succession. That's very bad for the xenon components and I would advise against continuing to do so.

Normally the tail light ground would just cause constant flickering and you would see this in both of the headlights. But you shouldn't have a ground problem since you have an 04 with LED tail lights.

I don't think it's the LCM, you would notice a lot of other random lighting errors.

Have you ever replaced the stock bulb at all? If not, I would replace those while you're at it.

Old 05-23-2014, 04:01 PM   #77
Kayss

Hey guys I was wondering if someone could help me out. When I bought the car both reverse lights didn't work and when I went to try and replace the bulbs I discovered that the carriers weren't even there! I bought new ones and tested them on a buddies car first and they worked but when I put them in mine, no luck. I've checked fuses but I don't know which ones exactly are for the reverse lights. Is there anything else I can check?

Old 05-23-2014, 05:08 PM   #78
sillieidiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayss View Post
Hey guys I was wondering if someone could help me out. When I bought the car both reverse lights didn't work and when I went to try and replace the bulbs I discovered that the carriers weren't even there! I bought new ones and tested them on a buddies car first and they worked but when I put them in mine, no luck. I've checked fuses but I don't know which ones exactly are for the reverse lights. Is there anything else I can check?

I'd use a multimeter and check for power from the wiring first. There should be a fuse, but I don't remember what is it. I'll check it out later and see i guess. it could be the wiring is cut where the trunk wiring loom is. That's a common problem.

Old 05-23-2014, 05:54 PM   #79
Kayss

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillieidiot View Post
I'd use a multimeter and check for power from the wiring first. There should be a fuse, but I don't remember what is it. I'll check it out later and see i guess. it could be the wiring is cut where the trunk wiring loom is. That's a common problem.
I'll check the loom but wouldn't the trunk lock actuator or whatever it's called lose power aswell?
Old 05-23-2014, 06:07 PM   #80
sillieidiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayss View Post
I'll check the loom but wouldn't the trunk lock actuator or whatever it's called lose power aswell?
no, that has it's own wire. if all the wires in the loom were cut then yeah that wouldn't work, neither would the license plate lights or reverse.

Tags
angel eyes, headlight, led, tail lights, xenon