E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-28-2010, 04:14 PM   #1
F1004fun

My Ride: '02 330Ci
E46 M54 Oil cooler and S54 filter housing install

It's been a long time in the making but I got all the parts together for the oil cooler install and was at the shop till 2:00am getting this all done.

First is the S54 oil filter housing which bolts up the the M54 block with no problems and clears the intake manifold with ease. The first picture shows the housing and the P/S pump mounted.

The P/S pump can be as complicated as you make it. VAC Motorsports sells the spacers you need to make the pulley line up perfect. So the front two P/S pump mounting bolts wind up a little shorter but easy. For the rear bracket I have seen multiple bracket setups among the models so that is where it becomes "custom". I used another spacer that was ground at an angle and ran the long stock bolt all the way through the housing to the blind nut on the rear bracket.

I used the VAC Motorsports VANOS oil supply adapter banjo bolt that allows the stock VANOS hose and you don't have to drill and tap the S54 housing. These allows room for only one more fitting, you can use the tee fittings or what ever you want. I chose to mount only the oil pressure sensor and relocate the oil temp. sensor to the oil pan using the Turner Motorsports oil temp adapter #TEN 99 90 001

Now I will say that even this has it's cons in that the yellow waring light comes on the dash for low oil level. Well I able the work with the guys at AUTOLOGIC for an instrument cluster reflash that removes that option from the software, if your local shop has access to an AUTOLOGIC they might be able to do this for your car as well. So no yellow light and no oil level sender.

Next is the oil cooler. I used a Mocal 235mm 19 row with AN10 fittings. Using nut-certs I ran bolts down through the factory holes in the air intlet duct. Some careful trimming is required to the duct inlet to clear. Brackets will need to be rivited or TIG welded to the aluminum core support for the lower mounting, I don't have a TIG so I rivet....big rivets!

I chose the run the hoses around the radiator since I was removing the stock P/S cooler which you may have to do as well. I ground the plastic left side support bracket where the stock P/S cooler lines went and little bit of the front core support to allow room for the two cooler hoses.
I found the coolest little brackets for automotive plumbing by a company called "Made 4 you products" the can be used to separate and support the hoses and a comes with the bolt a little long to mount to a surface using a nut-cert or whatever. I installed one 6mm nut-cert in the frame to hold the lines where they go around the radiator. The plumbing I decided to go with is the 9100 Kevlar lined PTFE braided hose from Pegasus racing supply, and the main reason for this is due to a bend radius of 1-1/2", these allows the bend around the radiator without kinking.

The next big question is the power steering and I have to apologize that I don't have any pictures yet. But I did use a late E36 P/S cooler the mounts to the steering rack and relocated the P/S resevoir to the frame rail next to the heater valve, much like to E36 style. I am currently trying with and without check-valve banjo bolt and with and without return line restriction.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	housing with pump mounted.jpg
Views:	2363
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	388065   Click image for larger version

Name:	housing with lines mounted.jpg
Views:	3002
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	388066   Click image for larger version

Name:	oil cooler mounted and plumbed.jpg
Views:	3803
Size:	235.6 KB
ID:	388067   Click image for larger version

Name:	oil cooler mounting brackets.jpg
Views:	1530
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	388068  

Name:	original ps cooler.jpg
Views:	1551
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	388069   Click image for larger version

Name:	cooler hoses routed and mounted.jpg
Views:	14723
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	388070   Click image for larger version

Name:	hose separator brackets.jpg
Views:	1255
Size:	183.4 KB
ID:	388071   Click image for larger version

Name:	housing finish mounted.jpg
Views:	2035
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	388072  

Name:	oil cooler with bumper installed.jpg
Views:	7945
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	388073  
F1004fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:54 PM   #2
McSpeed

My Ride: 2005 ZHP TT Stg 1
Nice work!
do you think there'll be any noticeable effect removing the P/S cooler?

SOLD but fondly remembered...
Technique Tuning Stage 1 Turbo w/ Greddy Profec B Spec II | 3.07 Quaife
ATI Super Damper | Vaio Oil Pump | VAC Pan Baffle | SRE Organic Clutch
Turner Reinforcements | SPC Camber Arms | Powerflex FCABs & SFBs

Turbo Driveability Video

Horsepower vs. Torque
McSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 05:59 PM   #3
F1004fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSpeed View Post
Nice work!
do you think there'll be any noticeable effect removing the P/S cooler?
I still have a P/S cooler. I used the late E36 style P/S cooler that bolts to the steering rack. I even cut folded a small duct to direct air over the cooler, I'll have more pictures in a few days.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:06 PM   #4
McSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1004fun View Post
I still have a P/S cooler. I used the late E36 style P/S cooler that bolts to the steering rack. I even cut folded a small duct to direct air over the cooler, I'll have more pictures in a few days.
Awesome. looking forward to the pics!

Turbo Driveability Video

Horsepower vs. Torque
Old 12-28-2010, 07:23 PM   #5
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Very nice work!

It's extremely refreshing to see someone blaze their own path and figure things out and then share it here.

Bravo!
PEI330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:46 PM   #6
McSpeed

Not sure if it'll work with my intercooler but I like this mounting idea^
Is that where the Technik setup had it?

Turbo Driveability Video

Horsepower vs. Torque
Old 12-29-2010, 11:38 AM   #7
F1004fun

I mounted the oil cooler up high to leave room for a front mounted heat exchanger or intercooler if I ever decide to "get boost". I don't know where Tecknic puts there oil cooler.
I have thought a lot about running the oil cooler lower with the lines on the top side to bleed out any air bubbles in the cooler. Every motor guy I talked to said in that theory works, but in reality that oil pump moves enough volume at high speeds to clear ANY air bubbles out.
Maybe Adam has some knowledge to drop on us regarding that subject.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:59 PM   #8
bigjae1976

My Ride: 2011 E90 M3
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
Great job! You answered my main concerns. Now I just need my S54 housing to arrive. I do have a couple of questions...

Do you have a link to the p/s pump spacers?

I thought the p/s cooler was just a loop of metal piping. I don't see how it would interfere with the mounting of the oil cooler in that location.

bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:02 PM   #9
F1004fun

Quote:
Great job! You answered my main concerns. Now I just need my S54 housing to arrive. I do have a couple of questions...

Do you have a link to the p/s pump spacers?

I thought the p/s cooler was just a loop of metal piping. I don't see how it would interfere with the mounting of the oil cooler in that location.
I don't have a link to the spacers but VAC sells them, I bought them at the same time as the AN10 adapters and banjo bolt.

The stock P/S cooler might not interfere with the oil cooler mounting itself but I wanted to route my oil cooler lines where the P/S cooler lines were. And most importantly when I re-located my P/S resevoir to the frame rail it became lower then the P/S cooler. I don't believe that would be a good idea, so I used the E36 P/S cooler mounted to the steering rack, to keep the resevoir the highest point.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:13 PM   #10
bigjae1976

My Ride: 2011 E90 M3
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
Thanks again. Last question, did you use a US spec S54 housing or a Euro Spec one? Or are they the same thing?
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:27 PM   #11
MasterC17

My Ride: hates A/C & Sunroofs
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
Thanks again. Last question, did you use a US spec S54 housing or a Euro Spec one? Or are they the same thing?
Also wondering.

Finally someone got this to work! Another project for next Spring It looks great!

Last edited by MasterC17; 01-04-2011 at 10:19 PM.
MasterC17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:21 AM   #12
F1004fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
I used the S54 housing, I have heard of people using the Euro E36 housing. I don't think there is much of a difference.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:18 AM   #13
phamine

My Ride: 01 Orient Blue 330i
Send a message via AIM to phamine Send a message via Yahoo to phamine
Where did you move the PS reservior? I don't see it in the pics?
Old 01-08-2011, 10:23 PM   #14
azzy989

My Ride: 325i
Send a message via AIM to azzy989 Send a message via MSN to azzy989
very cool!

how much more oil are you running with the addition of the cooler?

azzy989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:44 PM   #15
genuity

My Ride: 2001 330iS
Very cool...didn't know about the S54 housing fitting the M54. Are you using the M3 oil filters now or are you can you use the M54 filters?

I have always hated the design of the M54 filters...all paper (Mann, OEM, or even Hengst) or all paper and plastic in the case of the Mahle filters, while the M3 ones have aluminum or some type of alloy metal on the tops and bottoms of the filters.
genuity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 01:49 AM   #16
F1004fun

To answer some questions:
I am running about 7-3/4 qts. of engine oil, and yes I am using the M3 oil filter OX187.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:27 AM   #17
ZeroSum

My Ride: 05 325
Thanks for the info, nice clean install. Does anyone know if it is necessary to run a hydraulic belt tensioner with the S54 housing? I have an AA SC kit which requires you to run the spring type.
ZeroSum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 02:20 AM   #18
Mr Paddle.Shift

My Ride: B3 epsilon
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1004fun View Post
I mounted the oil cooler up high to leave room for a front mounted heat exchanger or intercooler if I ever decide to "get boost". I don't know where Tecknic puts there oil cooler.
I have thought a lot about running the oil cooler lower with the lines on the top side to bleed out any air bubbles in the cooler. Every motor guy I talked to said in that theory works, but in reality that oil pump moves enough volume at high speeds to clear ANY air bubbles out.
Maybe Adam has some knowledge to drop on us regarding that subject.
Technik kit runs in the same place with lines running from the top to reduce pressure loss in longer lines. The original Technik OC kit was designed to accommodate the ASA SC, which draws the engine oil to lubricate. So natrually we need to minimize that pressure loss. Back then, Zolti and I tested lines by the 1/3 ft increments and might have gone through a dozen different EOCs.

This location is ok given its convenient mounting pts. One advice I would give is tilt the top of EOC forward a little for two reasons: 1. incoming air will be forced through the EOC fins thus 'moving' more heat against a slanted surface, 2. create a slightly larger exit volume between the ECO and the radiator.

Ideally though the EOC should be mounted where there is a better entry and exit flow. Mine has since been relocated to the wheel well area. But with the Technik ASA SC, that means the air filter has to be relocated else where.

And yes, the oil system is pressurized so that should pushed out any air trapped in there. At least for me, bottom mount is the absolute last resort.

Technik Engineering ASA Stage 1.
Supercharged E46 M54B25.
2011 NASA TTC So Cal Champion!
Track blog.
Technik Engineering oil cap o-ring maintenance kit available.
Mr Paddle.Shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:08 AM   #19
McSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Paddle.Shift View Post
This location is ok given its convenient mounting pts. One advice I would give is tilt the top of EOC forward a little for two reasons: 1. incoming air will be forced through the EOC fins thus 'moving' more heat against a slanted surface, 2. create a slightly larger exit volume between the ECO and the radiator.

Ideally though the EOC should be mounted where there is a better entry and exit flow. Mine has since been relocated to the wheel well area. But with the Technik ASA SC, that means the air filter has to be relocated else where.
Thanks for even more great info in this thread!

Turbo Driveability Video

Horsepower vs. Torque
Old 02-20-2011, 10:24 PM   #20
cnotesdip

My Ride: 330ci
is it possible to use this? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Bmw-E...item2eb362d4f6
cnotesdip is offline   Reply With Quote