E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-14-2013, 11:39 AM   #41
dwsounddesign

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330xi
yup double checked everything...it's definitely the pan my OFHG is good.
dwsounddesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:52 AM   #42
Mango
Grand Superpatriot Sport+

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsounddesign View Post
yup double checked everything...it's definitely the pan my OFHG is good.
that's almost never the case. in fact, i've never heard of an original OFGH being good at this age/mileage. but i guess if you are sure...

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:04 PM   #43
dwsounddesign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
that's almost never the case. in fact, i've never heard of an original OFGH being good at this age/mileage. but i guess if you are sure...
I don't think it's the original cause I did call the previous owner 5 minutes ago and he had it changed 20000miles ago... But i guess I gotta do what I gotta do. My mechanic has the garage with the right tools and mounts. I guess if I work on it with him we can kill those 5 hours down.

Is process, ?

1. Drain oil.
2. remove control arms
3. remove steering column
4. remove front differential (xi auto)
then I have access to bolts...?
Old 03-14-2013, 12:11 PM   #44
dwsounddesign

....and subframe....
Old 03-14-2013, 12:14 PM   #45
Mango

Nervous made a write up. search that user name

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 03-14-2013, 04:09 PM   #46
djbradle

My Ride: 2002 325 xit
I got an xi and I paid $36 for the gasket and 9.0 hrs labor at $85. So approximately $800. I was NOT trying that myself with jackstands! I had only one other car for the family anyways. M buddy who did the work took about 11.0 hrs to do it and did not charge anything but what alldata stated. . .nice! Make sure if you do it you did it right. Add a grey gasket sealer on top of the gasket as well and let it cure before you reinstall so it doesn't leak again.

Last edited by djbradle; 03-14-2013 at 04:10 PM.
djbradle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:26 PM   #47
aggies

My Ride: BMW 330Ci
Quote:
oil stabilizer. dafuq?
I asked the mechanic today when I went to pick up my car and he said it is..

..I still if it does any good lol
aggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:35 PM   #48
adaseb

My Ride: 2002 BMW 320i
OP,

Its most likely not your oil pan gasket.

The way the oil drips from the top of the engine down to the OPG makes it seem its leaky.

Clean it up, drive a bit and see where it comes out of.
adaseb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:51 AM   #49
Mango

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggies View Post
I asked the mechanic today when I went to pick up my car and he said it is..

..I still if it does any good lol
no i know what it was. i was more like why would they add that

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 03-17-2013, 01:25 AM   #50
Megalocnus

My Ride: 05 330i ZHP/MT
Crap, I just replaced the control arms today and surprise - there's oil on the oil pan and the transmission. Last time I checked several months ago, the bottom was dry.
For now I'm sure the oil filter housing gasket isn't leaking since the driver side of the engine is clean. The OFHG is new anyway, I replaced it like 20K miles ago.
Is there an easy way to check if the valve cover gasket is leaking at the back side, using a mirror or something?
I really hope it's leaking at the back of the VCG (the exhaust side and the front sides are dry), otherwise I am looking at oil pan leak or rear main seal leak.
Slim chance though since the VCG has only 35-40K miles on it.

Last edited by Megalocnus; 03-17-2013 at 01:28 AM.
Megalocnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:26 AM   #51
dwsounddesign

I think I'll just take a picture of the amount of oil in the morning underneath my car. The amounts are so small. It's more of the size of 2 quarters after 10hrs over night....
Old 03-17-2013, 01:31 AM   #52
dwsounddesign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalocnus View Post
Crap, I just replaced the control arms today and surprise - there's oil on the oil pan and the transmission. Last time I checked several months ago, the bottom was dry.
For now I'm sure the oil filter housing gasket isn't leaking since the driver side of the engine is clean. The OFHG is new anyway, I replaced it like 20K miles ago.
Is there an easy way to check if the valve cover gasket is leaking at the back side, using a mirror or something?
I really hope it's leaking at the back of the VCG (the exhaust side and the front sides are dry), otherwise I am looking at oil pan leak or rear main seal leak.
Slim chance though since the VCG was replaced 35-40K miles ago.
Man. U have noooooo clue. my whole bottom covers were covered, and I think it was cause of the VCG leak I had. I changed it about 2 months ago. but I still had small leaks. (At least the burning oil smell was gone) but recently when I had the car lifted, turns out it was oil pan. Fun So I'm gonna have the dealer do it. 6 hours and a painful credit card bill coming soon. keep in mind I have a 2002 330xi auto
Old 03-17-2013, 01:45 AM   #53
Megalocnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsounddesign View Post
Man. U have noooooo clue. my whole bottom covers were covered, and I think it was cause of the VCG leak I had. I changed it about 2 months ago. but I still had small leaks. (At least the burning oil smell was gone) but recently when I had the car lifted, turns out it was oil pan. Fun So I'm gonna have the dealer do it. 6 hours and a painful credit card bill coming soon. keep in mind I have a 2002 330xi auto
I've dealt with VCG and OFHG leaks in the past. These are not difficult to fix and I was enjoying a dry engine bottom for the last couple of years. The oil pan and the rear main seal are another matter though

By the way, when you replaced your VCG, did you apply gasket sealant on the half moon areas? If you didn't, perhaps your VCG is beginning to leak again. This can happen even if the gasket is just two months old...
Old 03-17-2013, 01:58 AM   #54
dwsounddesign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalocnus View Post
I've dealt with VCG and OFHG leaks in the past. These are not difficult to fix and I was enjoying a dry engine bottom for the last couple of years. The oil pan and the rear main seal are another matter though

By the way, when you replaced your VCG, did you apply gasket sealant on the half moon areas? If you didn't, perhaps your VCG is beginning to leak again. This can happen even if the gasket is just two months old...
yeah i used red heat sealant from auto zone and did some re-torquing after a few days. it was annoying at the time. but like I mentioned before my Whole bottom was covered in oil. BUT i didn't clean it first which is what I shoulda done. cleaned it up and observed. I thought the oil pan would have a larger leak? (like more oil on the ground) but it bothers me enough to get it done. Big drive to Virginia Beach in August. and I have a small list to get done.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:44 AM   #55
Mango

mega:

If the valve cover isn't leaking in front or the side, it likely isn't leaking at the back. Just run a paper towel back there and see if there's any excess oil?

at your mileage though it could be the oil pan... do the RMS when clutch is done

OVER A MILLION VIEWS

Last edited by Mango; 03-17-2013 at 02:44 AM.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:33 AM   #56
Megalocnus

Mango, my clutch was already done- 65K miles ago. The RMS is original though.
I'll run a paper towel on the back side. This is a great suggestion, thanks.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:42 PM   #57
dwsounddesign

I made the appointment at Keeler BMW to get it fixed the promised a quote of 660. So I'm gonna pay that when I drop it off so I don't get any funny beemerness. Strictly business.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:30 AM   #58
ptrcd003

My Ride: .
I remember seeing a post where a guy with a 530i replaced the gasket just by dropping the pan a few mm. Not sure if an E46 has enough clearance to do that. Basically, cut open the new gasket on one end, slide it on, put a bit of sealant on the cut end and bolt it back in.
ptrcd003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:26 PM   #59
Alfa Andy

My Ride: 2004 330xi
Add me to the list. My 2004 330xi with 90k has been leaving a spot on the garage floor for the last couple of months. VC gskt good, did the OFHG, etc. Definitely needs an OPG. Does anyone know of a DIY anywhere that is specific to the xi? Also, has anyone replaced the shifter seal on the A5S390R auto trans? FYI, I just bought a new DISA from Amazon for $107. Dorman / China product. It looks and works as good as OE. Keeping fingers crossed.
Alfa Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:09 AM   #60
Nateweav

My Ride: 2001 330Xi
Quote:
Easier said than done. I've done the job three times.
Me too Mango! They make it sound so easy. It's quite a job. Took me 10 hours.
Nateweav is offline   Reply With Quote