E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-13-2013, 06:37 PM   #1
v8 5

My Ride: 6 speed BMW
Dependence on Prescription Pills for Work and Anxiety

My doctor recently recommended I take Adderall for work and Xanax for my anxiety, though I'm not sure if it was one or another since I'm not sure you can mix the two.

I'm not very keen to taking pills to change my brain chemistry and wanted some input. I was put on Prozac as a child, when not depressed, but the doctors and my parents insisted I was, and after I got off it seeing little change I became a very depressed person.

We have 4 websites within the family.
v8 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:39 PM   #2
andrewrossnagel

My Ride: .
in all seriousness, i think xanax is one of the worst drugs out there.
andrewrossnagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:41 PM   #3
wasp9166
ima touching member

My Ride: 04 330i jet black
Send a message via Yahoo to wasp9166
well, i had anxiety and depression for a while coming off juice ,rel ending, losing house, blah blah, never was keen on pills for a problem, tho i'd never tried them, my thought is, when the problem is gone, the pill will be the problem

but this dr i was seeing convinced me to try xanax

i took a half of a pill every night, and they weren't very big

sure , every night i felt great, but by the 4th day, a monday morning, i felt like jumping off the bridge i was crossing more than i ever had

threw em away and am fine now, it worked itself out

i'm not everyone, just sayin

f that

"if polarity comes from protons, does morality come from morons?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ330 View Post
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."

Last edited by wasp9166; 03-13-2013 at 06:44 PM.
wasp9166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:43 PM   #4
Fergo

My Ride: still a gay 135i
Xanax can be very tough to kick my brother

^c***s
2 easy 2 make hp turbos
Fergo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:46 PM   #5
v8 5

My Ride: 6 speed BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasp9166 View Post
well, i had anxiety and depression for a while coming off juice ,rel ending, losing house, blah blah, never was keen on pills for a problem, tho i'd never tried them, my thought is, when the problem is gone, the pill will be the problem

but this dr i was seeing convinced me to try xanax

i took a half of a pill every night, and they weren't very big

sure , every night i felt great, but by the 4th day, a monday morning, i felt like jumping off the bridge i was crossing more than i ever had

threw em away and am fine now, it worked itself out

i'm not everyone, just sayin

f that
I do believe exercise, diet, and mental will can overcome any pill but at this point I'm willing to consider a short cut to get me through the haul. However Xanax does not sound me-friendly after what you just mentioned.

We have 4 websites within the family.
v8 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:51 PM   #6
GRIFFIN
NWS

My Ride: 04 330i zsp,zpp,zcw
masterbation.

** Removed - Please stop - Tim330i **
*NWS GIF REMOVED*
*GIF REMOVED*
* Continuing to put animated images in your sig will get you banned - Tim330i *
**You make me so horny.- Tim330i **
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedges View Post
I can honestly say that because of Griffin, i am desensitized to alot of wierd stuff!
GRIFFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:54 PM   #7
Grande D

My Ride: Whiiiite BMW!
Adderall is no good. Stay away unless you absolutely need it. I'm not a psychologist/psychiatrist, but a growing number of them (at least that I know) are becoming suspicious.

It does shitty things to your brain that may not be repairable (even when you go off of it).

And yes I used to take it.

If you have mild ADD (maybe it works for anxiety too), the best cure is more rest, more exercise, and healthier food.
dont listen to these fuQ faces... just go to a junk yard and get a used complete left rear end. i cracked my left rear control arm on the highway because i was driving w/o shocks... lol! ***Was too busy caking on these bitches instead of taking care my car!***

Last edited by Grande D; 03-13-2013 at 06:55 PM.
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:59 PM   #8
CollinsE90

My Ride: 330i
What size xanax? Doctors are staying away from prescribing them because they are so addictive.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:02 PM   #9
Sentaruu

My Ride: Xterra
i think most people on or considering medication in order to cope with reality need to man the **** up and deal.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:03 PM   #10
5speed5er

My Ride: TreTreFive
They hooked you up. Adderall I would only take if I had to, to get something done etc. If the doctor thought you needed xanax, I would just take it.
5speed5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:05 PM   #11
Grande D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentaruu View Post
i think most people on or considering medication in order to cope with reality need to man the **** up and deal.
I agree. However some people need it. I never know when my shitt-talking might land on the ears of someone who actually needs help/medication. Because those people do exist.
dont listen to these fuQ faces... just go to a junk yard and get a used complete left rear end. i cracked my left rear control arm on the highway because i was driving w/o shocks... lol! ***Was too busy caking on these bitches instead of taking care my car!***
Old 03-13-2013, 07:11 PM   #12
Sentaruu

My Ride: Xterra
agreed. however society is getting increasingly more incapable of actually dealing with their problems. always looking for an easy way out, a quick "fix" that makes them feel all warm and fuzzy. problem is the fixes never solve the problems, they mask them and in some cases make them worse. in the case of medication for these "disorders", some people actually have chemical imbalances or are in situations that warrant certain medications. others.. well, others need to drink a tall glass of suck it the **** up. people get sad, people get nervous, people get anxious, it's normal.

Last edited by Sentaruu; 03-13-2013 at 07:16 PM.
Sentaruu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:11 PM   #13
davidwarren
Halfway to 2L

My Ride: 2010 335i
did you discuss these concerns with your physician? That is what your first step should be.

You down with UCC? Ya you know me!
sowing the seeds of jiggery pokery
davidwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:01 PM   #14
HallisterJ1

My Ride: 2001 325i, 2003 M3
I sometimes have to depend on Tramadol (ULTRAM) or Vicodin to get by in the day. I don't even have pain, I just think a lot more clear and focus a lot better when smacked.

I'm not addicted seeing as I haven't taken it in almost a year but when I do, I get a lot of work done at the hedgefund I work at. It's almost like encasing yourself in a bubble where nothing matter, and I mean absolutely nothing matters except the one task at hand.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:07 PM   #15
KOpower

My Ride: 325ci
These meds (I think also called SSRI inhibitors) may give temporary relief but
- will not fix your problem or anxiety 100%

The WORST thing is side effects - which can include
- very very significant weight gain over a period of use
- lower sex drive
- poor memory recall
- and heaps of other side effects

My advice is try not to fux your body with these shitty chemicals
(Unless you are in super bad shape and desperately need them)

My Ride:
2002 e46 325ci Manual - Sport & Premium Pkg
KOpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:57 PM   #16
unionjack
Conceited Prick

My Ride: 997.2 C2S
Meds have differing reactions and side effects with different people. The most important thing you can do is maintain regular communication with your physician as to how you're reacting to the meds and and their effect on you. Exactly what davidwarren said above.

I've been living with an anxiety disorder for most of my adult life and have cycled through many different meds until I found what worked best for me. I went through many different combos, dosages, and #doses/day over many years. I was fortunate enough to not suffer from many of the side effects of any of them and my natural resistance to dependency prevented addiction. I am happy to say that I've gotten to the point where I take lower doses and only as necessary when it gets really bad. Unfortunately though, the onset of my anxiety is really quick and my reaction very drastic so I have to pay special attention to it. Secondly, those whom are most effected by my reaction are those closest to me (my wife considerably more than anyone) and they've said they can see it start to manifest before I even notice it so they've proven to be very good barometers for me. Being on a PRN schedule has made it incredibly important to pay attention to them.

There are alternative treatment options such as seeing a mental health professional. I have friends that have had great success with this. I was not, but that doesn't mean you wouldn't. Some have used exercise as well.

A lot of friends and family have asked me what it was like being constantly medicated to be relaxed and mellow. They likend it to being high all the time. I had to explain to them that, for me, when medicated I wasn't relaxed and mellow. For me, because of the severity, it transformed me from an absolutely detestable and inconsiderate human being with violent mood swings to "normal." And that's all I really wanted and needed. Lastly, I was never physically violent. I was very conscious of not letting it get to that point and it took considerable effort to keep it from going there. Emotionally, I was unbelievably abusive and no one more so to than my wife. I am very very lucky how much she loved me and put up with my behavior. My disorder has been kept mostly in check for the last 7 years and without treatment and a loving wife I don't know where I would be.

Based on my experience, I believe the best course of action is finding effective treatment and having a solid support system in place. Ultimately though, it's up to you to want help, get help, and follow through on it.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:08 PM   #17
Grande D

unionjack: respect for your honesty!
Old 03-16-2013, 07:21 PM   #18
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
Quote:
Originally Posted by unionjack View Post
Meds have differing reactions and side effects with different people. The most important thing you can do is maintain regular communication with your physician as to how you're reacting to the meds and and their effect on you. Exactly what davidwarren said above.

I've been living with an anxiety disorder for most of my adult life and have cycled through many different meds until I found what worked best for me. I went through many different combos, dosages, and #doses/day over many years. I was fortunate enough to not suffer from many of the side effects of any of them and my natural resistance to dependency prevented addiction. I am happy to say that I've gotten to the point where I take lower doses and only as necessary when it gets really bad. Unfortunately though, the onset of my anxiety is really quick and my reaction very drastic so I have to pay special attention to it. Secondly, those whom are most effected by my reaction are those closest to me (my wife considerably more than anyone) and they've said they can see it start to manifest before I even notice it so they've proven to be very good barometers for me. Being on a PRN schedule has made it incredibly important to pay attention to them.

There are alternative treatment options such as seeing a mental health professional. I have friends that have had great success with this. I was not, but that doesn't mean you wouldn't. Some have used exercise as well.

A lot of friends and family have asked me what it was like being constantly medicated to be relaxed and mellow. They likend it to being high all the time. I had to explain to them that, for me, when medicated I wasn't relaxed and mellow. For me, because of the severity, it transformed me from an absolutely detestable and inconsiderate human being with violent mood swings to "normal." And that's all I really wanted and needed. Lastly, I was never physically violent. I was very conscious of not letting it get to that point and it took considerable effort to keep it from going there. Emotionally, I was unbelievably abusive and no one more so to than my wife. I am very very lucky how much she loved me and put up with my behavior. My disorder has been kept mostly in check for the last 7 years and without treatment and a loving wife I don't know where I would be.

Based on my experience, I believe the best course of action is finding effective treatment and having a solid support system in place. Ultimately though, it's up to you to want help, get help, and follow through on it.
thank you for sharing. Your post will help many people. You'll never know how much but a lot of people out there are dealing with issues and feel alone. They'll find your post maybe tomorrow, maybe in 10 years, relate and find hope

Your strength to share that is a great thing man.

Props. We all have our issues, some never spoken. We all have a cross to bear internally with happy smilies on the external

Wish you continued happiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
I agree with JonJon.

Last edited by JonJon; 03-16-2013 at 07:23 PM.
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:21 PM   #19
Chris3Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grande D View Post
If you have mild ADD (maybe it works for anxiety too), the best cure is more rest, more exercise, and healthier food.
This. Getting more sleep, eating healthier, and exercising more will do wonders. In the "eating healthier" category I'm including cutting back on caffeine.

It's not always sustainable, but just get back on the horse, and you'll feel like a whole new person. Sleep is #1.
Chris3Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:25 PM   #20
golf_234

My Ride: 07 C230 MT
Got an adderall prescription, the negatives of this drug are far far more pronounced than the positives. in moderation maybe it could be good but it is just one of those things that you are likely better off staying away from. I personally got into a cycle of such intense focus that i started to get depressed, like trying to solve every problem in the world at once, which obviously is quite futile in an imperfect world thus leading to a lot of unhappiness. Overall it makes your thoughts seem very very real, much more pronounced than your normal state of consciousness, the whole thought construct is so intense and feels so real that i couldn't even really figure out that it was in fact what was making me depressed. Finally i started to make the large scale correlation that the times of most severe depression were around when i was taking ad. the most, so i finally just put it together. waste of time, super unnatural, recommend staying away personally. just tough it out . it also really really removes the "feeling" component of human thought and turns you into a super analytical type which sounds cool at first but it really feels almost robotic and you start to realize how important that part of your thought is. all said and done i am sure it could be used effectively, but the negatives are big on this drug. it is also very hard on your cardiovascular system, overall just a pretty bad thing. i am much happier and the best times in my life have definitely been without it. stuff freaks me out now.

2008 135i | Year 1 of the 1 | AW/Black Boston Leather | N54 | JB4 | Map 5 | 19" Matte Black CSLs | Comfort Access
Adaptive Xenons | Premium/Sport | Cold Weather | Brembos | Clear Bra | Auto Dim | Rain Sensor | 350 WHP

Last edited by golf_234; 03-17-2013 at 03:01 AM.
golf_234 is offline   Reply With Quote