E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-16-2013, 09:29 PM   #21
AfghanScarface

My Ride: Debadged M3
Send a message via AIM to AfghanScarface
All you guys that got off Adderall send them to me

I have a test on Monday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer4Lyfe View Post
Either pursue her and risk getting Mono, or don't pursue her,...stay home and use your Mano.

It's either Mono or Mano .... You decide
AfghanScarface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:00 PM   #22
davide330

My Ride: 10 ISF
Gotta wonder if Doctors are on some commission kind-of-thing they way they hand out all these drugs nowadays.

Sig by Jase3d at www.jase3d.com
davide330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:08 PM   #23
v8 5

My Ride: 6 speed BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by davide330 View Post
Gotta wonder if Doctors are on some commission kind-of-thing they way they hand out all these drugs nowadays.
They have been for a while

We have 4 websites within the family.
v8 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:47 PM   #24
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by golf_234 View Post
Got an adderall prescription, the negatives of this drug are far far more pronounced than the positives. in moderation maybe it could be good but it is just one of those things that you are likely better off staying away from. I personally got into a cycle of such intense focus that i started to get depressed, like trying to solve every problem in the world at once, which obviously is quite futile in an imperfect world thus leading to a lot of unhappiness. Overall it makes your thoughts seem very very real, much more pronounced than your normal state of consciousness, the whole though construct is so intense and feels so real that i couldn't even really figure out that it was in fact what was making me depressed. Finally i started to make the large scale correlation that the times of most severe depression were around when i was taking ad. the most, so i finally just put it together. waste of time, super unnatural, recommend staying away personally. just tough it out . it also really really removes the "feeling" component of human thought and turns you into a super analytical type which sounds cool at first but it really feels almost robotic and you start to realize how important that part of your thought is. all said and done i am sure it could be used effectively, but the negatives are big on this drug. it is also very hard on your cardiovascular system, overall just a pretty bad thing. i am much happier and the best times in my life have definitely been without it.
I have friends who've had similar reactions as you had.

I was on Adderall and a mild antidepressant for two years. During that period of time, I was getting less sleep than normal. Generally, I was in an acceptable mood, but it kinda left me in the middle all of the time, if that makes sense. I was never extremely upset nor extremely happy. It's an odd sensation when you realize that you're acting like a sociopath.

And the "crash" from Adderall is horrible.

I went off Adderall for a period of several months- and then started it again. My reaction to it changed. It made me incredibly irritable. Ever since that one day- where I was so angry about everything- sitting there waiting for the hours to go by until I came down- I've never used it again.

I am no longer depressed, but will always have a mild case of ADD. Treating it using the basic ways I've described works well enough for me. I also go to a shrink on occasion, who is incredibly helpful. There's no shame in that.

Good riddance pharmaceuticals.

Last edited by Grande D; 03-16-2013 at 10:48 PM.
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:50 PM   #25
unionjack
Conceited Prick

My Ride: 997.2 C2S
That's great to hear Grande. And no, no shame whatsoever.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:09 AM   #26
04cbM3

My Ride: M3
Be careful with addy too. I started taking it around finals time, but before I knew it I was taking it just to do simple homework. I would not go so far as to call it addicting but it makes things easier and that can make it real easy to abuse.
04cbM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:22 PM   #27
Shaban

My Ride: 2005 CBR600
I was told by my doctor that I was born depressed. It makes sense since since I don't remember the last time I wasn't depressed. I've tried working out, eating healthier, getting more sleep, talking to a therapist, going out, making more friends, drinking, and smoking. None of that has really helped. The drinking and smoking help while its happening, but that wears off quickly. The other stuff never helped with my mood.

I've become more violent recently, always arguing with my fiancée, yelling a lot, dropped out of school, more "pissed off at the world". I've had suicidal thoughts my entire life, but never tried it, and I never would. That's probably why I stay away from depression pills... I hear they have caused people to commit suicide.

I tried adderall once, and it made me extremely focused for studying/ a test, but then I didn't sleep the whole night. And the next day all I wanted to do was sleep. Now, I have no clue what to do about my depression and I'm actually considering pills, but I am scared of the side effects. Any advice would definitely be appreciated
Old 03-17-2013, 02:32 PM   #28
Grande D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaban View Post
I was told by my doctor that I was born depressed. It makes sense since since I don't remember the last time I wasn't depressed. I've tried working out, eating healthier, getting more sleep, talking to a therapist, going out, making more friends, drinking, and smoking. None of that has really helped. The drinking and smoking help while its happening, but that wears off quickly. The other stuff never helped with my mood.

I've become more violent recently, always arguing with my fiancée, yelling a lot, dropped out of school, more "pissed off at the world". I've had suicidal thoughts my entire life, but never tried it, and I never would. That's probably why I stay away from depression pills... I hear they have caused people to commit suicide.

I tried adderall once, and it made me extremely focused for studying/ a test, but then I didn't sleep the whole night. And the next day all I wanted to do was sleep. Now, I have no clue what to do about my depression and I'm actually considering pills, but I am scared of the side effects. Any advice would definitely be appreciated
As far as therapists go- do you like your therapist? It makes a HUGE difference. When I went to see a psychiatrist once it didn't help at all- all full of himself and what not.

My shrink (psychologist) on the other hand is the man. I have a friend in a similar situation to you. He went through a bunch of therapists until he found one he liked. Once you get the right one- you know it- and you feel better after every session.

Adderall can make mood swings worse- if it kept you up you probably took the wrong version or took it at the wrong time. I hate the feeling where it keeps you awake. It's like drinking a whole pot of coffee at 8PM when you take one at night.

I have a history of depression in my family, but that doesn't mean it's how it has to be. I don't know if what you're doctor told you is true, but that'd certainly evaporate hope if I were you. Get a second opinion!

What finally "cured" my depression was a change in scenery/life situation. I had a very rough childhood from a family standpoint (I know everyone says that, but it's true), and when I finally picked up my life and moved- things started to fall into place. When I left- most issues had been resolved- but somehow just being there with all of the memories can drag you down.

Is there something in your past that bugs you to this day? Unreconciled trauma? Be 100% honest with your shrink (it's hard the first time) if you aren't- they can't help you if you aren't honest.

These are just my thoughts- I'm not a mental health professional. Best of luck man, and don't give up!
Old 03-17-2013, 02:58 PM   #29
SJZach

My Ride: orient blue 325xi
I've always hated adderral-not worth it imo. I have some fast acting ridalin(10mg) for when I am having a lot of trouble focusing. Get some valarium root op. Just started taking it for anxiety and it definitely chills me out on days with bad anxiety and its also natural which is nice.

edit: I think for me anyway adderral makes my anxiety worse especially coming off it.

Last edited by SJZach; 03-17-2013 at 02:59 PM.
SJZach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:01 PM   #30
Shaban

My Ride: 2005 CBR600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grande D View Post
As far as therapists go- do you like your therapist? It makes a HUGE difference. When I went to see a psychiatrist once it didn't help at all- all full of himself and what not.
I didn't like any of my therapists lol

My shrink (psychologist) on the other hand is the man. I have a friend in a similar situation to you. He went through a bunch of therapists until he found one he liked. Once you get the right one- you know it- and you feel better after every session.
I tried 3 different therapists, each one seemed the same... it seemed as if they didn't care about the issue, they just cared about making sure I sign up for another appointment. One of them told me to move far away...

Adderall can make mood swings worse- if it kept you up you probably took the wrong version or took it at the wrong time. I hate the feeling where it keeps you awake. It's like drinking a whole pot of coffee at 8PM when you take one at night.
I don't drink coffee, but I could imagine that is exactly what it's like. But the weird part is... I took 30mg total, 15 at first, then another 15 an hour later when the first 15 did nothing, and that was at 11am-12pm.

I have a history of depression in my family, but that doesn't mean it's how it has to be. I don't know if what you're doctor told you is true, but that'd certainly evaporate hope if I were you. Get a second opinion!
Yeah, I too have a history of depression in my family. Two doctors said that I was born depressed... my pediatrician when I was younger, and my family doctor about 3 years ago.

What finally "cured" my depression was a change in scenery/life situation. I had a very rough childhood from a family standpoint (I know everyone says that, but it's true), and when I finally picked up my life and moved- things started to fall into place. When I left- most issues had been resolved- but somehow just being there with all of the memories can drag you down.
I moved to Florida (from Virginia) at one point, and I was content. I wanted to stay there, but then I got with my gf (now fiancee), and I started thinking to myself... If I stay in Florida (planning to study aviation), I wouldn't be financially secure to get married/raise a family... Also, it's hard to be a pilot and have a family at the same time... so I moved back and took over the family business (pawn shop). But I guess there were some things about my past that were rough, but I really don't think it's the cause of my depression... I don't think about them at all, and I have talked to people about them.

Is there something in your past that bugs you to this day? Unreconciled trauma? Be 100% honest with your shrink (it's hard the first time) if you aren't- they can't help you if you aren't honest.
I guess that was a problem for me. I wasn't 100% honest, but I wasn't being dishonest... I just wouldn't tell them everything. I guess it's hard to completely open up to someone who you don't even know.

These are just my thoughts- I'm not a mental health professional. Best of luck man, and don't give up!
Thanks for the help! I answered some things above
Old 03-17-2013, 03:02 PM   #31
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Some people need it some people don't. I never popped any kind of pill/drug to help me concentrate. Figured I had enough willpower and self control to make myself do my work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
If there is one thing I despise most it's blacks always pulling the race card. It's so annoying and is often misplaced.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:03 PM   #32
wasp9166
ima touching member

My Ride: 04 330i jet black
Send a message via Yahoo to wasp9166
Quote:
Originally Posted by davide330 View Post

we all have something

i have adhd supposedly

i love it

"if polarity comes from protons, does morality come from morons?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ330 View Post
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."

Last edited by wasp9166; 03-17-2013 at 03:05 PM.
wasp9166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:46 PM   #33
Stankia

My Ride: 4.2FSI S-Line
http://www.reddit.com/r/AskMen/comme...man_up/c7f1p04
Old 03-17-2013, 10:02 PM   #34
Ballistic325

My Ride: slow and steady
Great shares by others here.... I wish you all happiness and success!

A few years ago I had marriage breakdown, new CEO was a total ass hat and workplace bully, money worries etc and I wasn't coping with anything. Went to see my long time GP (15 years at that stage) and he suggested a CBT - congnitive behaiour therapist. Didn't get much out of a coupl of sessions except a prescription for SSRIs (I don't remember the brand name) but it was around 2 x 20mg Fluoxetine daily. I was very apprehensive about taking the tabs but felt I needed some help that I wasn't getting anywhere else.

Result... numbness. Both positive and negative emotions were curbed and I spent most of my time in the middle ground neither here nor there. I was sleeping around 4 hours broken every night, food intake dropped, lost weight, zest for life.... zombie like. It was like this:
Had s e x? Meh.
Dog died? Meh.
Won $20M? Meh.
Got cancer? Meh.
Road rage moment? Meh.

Have you seen the movie 'Garden State' with Zach Braff of Scrubs? That's pretty much what it was like.

Woke up one morning and thought "F*** this" and stopped cold. My GP was pissed-as saying that I could eff up my brain chemistry etc etc. I told him to get stuffed and that I wouldn't be taking anymore. I'm glad I did that. I was finding the chemicals to be a real motivation killer, and years later I still have some feelings of numbness and "Meh".

I faced and sorted my own problems and dealt with the issues little by little in as much as I could manage at a time. Started sleeping better, eating better. Was a better person around my family and for my daughter even with the divorce, psychotic ex etc and everything else happening. Ass hat CEO was fired for stealing company secrets (justice!).

What helped for me most was regular physical activity, routine, discipline, healthy food. All of the above will take time and it takes an almost single minded commitment and consistency to make it happen. Hang around with individuals and groups of people that will lift you, not bring you down. Environment plays a role here too. Get off the colas / sodas / pop (yes, I read the other thread!), preservatives, processed foods. Eat fresh, eat greens and take multi-vitamin supps. The exercise - especially weight bearing and ones that push your heart rate - helps a lot. As a slightly different example, my daughter was having some mood and behavioural issues. We stopped gluten and dairy in her diet and removed anything with preservatives (breads, packaged foods etc) and within a very short amount of time she was better than her 'normal' self.

Chemically (smarter bros jump in here), the anti-depressants give you an unnatural feeling of constant well being using serotonin. The longer you take the pills, the higher the dosage required to maintain the same mood level. As a human you need to feel ups and downs and to know your 'middle level'. Serotonin stops you from experiencing that. Sometimes you might need that, but it is not an extended term solution.

With that said and what others have already related you'll have to decide what works best for you and what you would be happier doing. We don't walk in your shoes or experience your daily life so we can't decide for you... and I hope that the experiences here will help you do what you feel is best.

I can help with
* Reading Codes / Coding your car
* R&R FCAs, Tie Rods, Sway links....
* RTABs

Need an RTAB tool? Or clutch fan and water pump tools? PM me.
Ballistic325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:10 PM   #35
Grande D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballistic325 View Post
Result... numbness. Both positive and negative emotions were curbed and I spent most of my time in the middle ground neither here nor there. I was sleeping around 4 hours broken every night, food intake dropped, lost weight, zest for life.... zombie like. It was like this:
Had s e x? Meh.
Dog died? Meh.
Won $20M? Meh.
Got cancer? Meh.
Road rage moment? Meh.
This is exactly what I felt! I was on a very mild anti-depressant that doesn't work for most people, call Wellbutrin.

However, some may feel normal with medication as everyone is different.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:34 PM   #36
ImPulSe

My Ride: Bentley GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 5 View Post
My doctor recently recommended I take Adderall for work and Xanax for my anxiety.
Horrible idea, even if it's "recommended" by your doctor. Adderall is straight up legal speed and xanax is the complete OPPOSITE. So you know right off that bat that you shouldn't use both...

It took me a good 2 months to get off Adderall and to sweat out all the side effects (after a good daily dosage for 4 years straight). I felt like complete **** but was able to stop and I don't regret it.

Find out the real, fundamental reason for this recommendation and start there.
ImPulSe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:36 PM   #37
Grande D

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImPulSe View Post
It took me a good 2 months to get off Adderall and to sweat out all the side effects (after a good daily dosage for 4 years straight). I felt like complete **** but was able to stop and I don't regret it.
A very close friend of mind had a hell of a time getting off of Adderall. It really destabilized her for a while. It's a can of worms I tell you.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:39 PM   #38
trentcdrums

My Ride: BMW 323i Sedan
I unfortunately got an ulcer after having so much anxiety in 6th grade. After counseling, I learned that all of this anxiety we talk about is all mental. No pills should be able to fix you, you should be able to fix you.

trentcdrums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:40 PM   #39
ImPulSe

My Ride: Bentley GT
FYI, the first time using it, it made me feel amazing and I got a LOT of stuff done. Then one day I remember saying, wait a minute... I don't need this, so I stopped. Then after a week or so I said, wait... I think I need this... then BAM - it was never the same. I would take a pill and feel the kick but I'd be wondering why I was feeling the way I was and it just wasn't "me."

It's a really hard thing to explain but you'll never be yourself, and I honestly think it leaves long-term mental damage or a weird chemical effect.
ImPulSe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:42 PM   #40
Grande D

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImPulSe View Post
It's a really hard thing to explain but you'll never be yourself, and I honestly think it leaves long-term mental damage or a weird chemical effect.
There is preliminary research showing that it does (with longterm use). But- there's nothing to do but move on and life your life. No need to get hung up on it. We all do things that we wish we hadn't.