E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-19-2013, 03:31 PM   #61
Fergo

My Ride: still a gay 135i

2 easy 2 make hp turbos
Fergo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:59 PM   #62
Ballistic325

My Ride: slow and steady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaban View Post
This is pretty much me, but without the pills.
So you usually have some feeling of detachment from reality?

Do you think it might be an engagement thing, where you're not fully open to the experience (for some reason) and therefore not living in the experience?

I can help with
* Reading Codes / Coding your car
* R&R FCAs, Tie Rods, Sway links....
* RTABs

Need an RTAB tool? Or clutch fan and water pump tools? PM me.
Ballistic325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:49 PM   #63
Shaban

My Ride: 2005 CBR600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballistic325 View Post
So you usually have some feeling of detachment from reality?

Do you think it might be an engagement thing, where you're not fully open to the experience (for some reason) and therefore not living in the experience?
Not really detached from reality, but I just don't care about anything. Rarely get excited and that is usually short lived. Rarely show or feel any emotion other than "meh" or anger (towards myself and others).
Old 03-20-2013, 12:14 PM   #64
AfghanScarface

My Ride: Debadged M3
Send a message via AIM to AfghanScarface
Chemical imbalance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer4Lyfe View Post
Either pursue her and risk getting Mono, or don't pursue her,...stay home and use your Mano.

It's either Mono or Mano .... You decide
AfghanScarface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:53 PM   #65
914kid

My Ride: many
I take adderall for tests but it sucks. The crash suck. I take it in moderation but still. After I started taking it two years ago I can't sleep well at all. I lay in bed for hours just not being able to sleep despite not having adderall for a few weeks. Doesn't matter what time I sleep. 10, 11, 12, 1, I cant sleep until 4-5 and I usually only get 2-3 hours of sleep. I constantly find myself having to take random naps during the day just so I can stay focused. When I am off the medicine for 6-8 weeks (summer), I start sleeping well again but as soon as I take it again the sleepless nights come back.

Adderall truly sucks. After taking it, the weeks after the crash everything is a haze where nothing matters. Unfortunately the pros are good because it really helps me focus for my classes but the cons honestly outweigh the pros.

I don't want to be put on some sort of stupid sleep medicine so I cope with the sleepless nights and just take naps 2-3 hours a day between classes. :/

Last edited by 914kid; 03-20-2013 at 05:53 PM.
914kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:00 PM   #66
Shaban

Quote:
Originally Posted by aretardedorange View Post
I take adderall for tests but it sucks. The crash suck. I take it in moderation but still. After I started taking it two years ago I can't sleep well at all. I lay in bed for hours just not being able to sleep despite not having adderall for a few weeks. Doesn't matter what time I sleep. 10, 11, 12, 1, I cant sleep until 4-5 and I usually only get 2-3 hours of sleep. I constantly find myself having to take random naps during the day just so I can stay focused. When I am off the medicine for 6-8 weeks (summer), I start sleeping well again but as soon as I take it again the sleepless nights come back.

Adderall truly sucks. After taking it, the weeks after the crash everything is a haze where nothing matters. Unfortunately the pros are good because it really helps me focus for my classes but the cons honestly outweigh the pros.

I don't want to be put on some sort of stupid sleep medicine so I cope with the sleepless nights and just take naps 2-3 hours a day between classes. :/
Ever tried zzzquil? Non-habit forming sleep aide?
Old 03-20-2013, 06:01 PM   #67
Shaban

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfghanScarface View Post
Chemical imbalance?
I have no clue, I'm going to area therapist (hopefully that works out this time) in a couple weeks and see what they say.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:42 PM   #68
NIVO

My Ride: 2004 330Ci ZHP
Send a message via AIM to NIVO
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 5 View Post
My doctor recently recommended I take Adderall for work and Xanax for my anxiety, though I'm not sure if it was one or another since I'm not sure you can mix the two.

I'm not very keen to taking pills to change my brain chemistry and wanted some input. I was put on Prozac as a child, when not depressed, but the doctors and my parents insisted I was, and after I got off it seeing little change I became a very depressed person.
I myself went through an episode where in Feb. 2009 I had a panic attack, felt like I was having an actual heart attack!

My daughter was at work at the grocery store and she called me and said she was done with her shift. I drove there everything was fine, I walked into the store and saw her, everything was fine... all of a sudden I feel sweat dripping down my back, I felt hot. I start to feel what I call the internal jitters. Then my heart rate starts to climb, I had the feeling like my chest was caving in, like someone was sitting on it. Now, I felt like I was about to pass out, that lightheaded feeling.

I right away felt like I was possibly having a heart attack so once my daughter was out and with me I asked her if she wanted a drink, so without alerting her we got drinks and I bought some aspirin. Took the aspirin, dropped my daughter off and drove myself to the hospital.

At the hospital they did all the tests, on the 3rd day the doctor says "have you ever been told you have anxiety?" I said, well no.. what wrong with me?

Well all your vitals are good so we think you had vasovagal syncope.

They released me and I still felt like I was going to pass out. I had that, with chest pains and pressure, always had the tingly feeling on my left side as someone suffering from a heart attack would, I started becoming a Hypochondriac thinking I had brain tumors and sorts of stuff and always going to the hospital and doctors. Among others, I also had trembling, shivers, heart pounding really hard (150bpm), cold left side of my body. unstable hands followed after night sweats with the feeling like I was spaced out or derealization, unconnected to my life...

I had at least 30 physical symptoms from 2009-2011. From that time they gave me prozac, xanax you name it and they all made me feel worse. Mind you I still went to work that whole time with the feeling of passing out first of all along with all the other symptoms. Once I got home I would just go to bed since that is the only time I felt at peace.

I took effexor ER which helped some but then It game me sexual side effects so I slowly got my self off of them and started to look for alternatives. SO a support group, the right state of mind and continuing with my hobbies helped. I did some herbal stuff which didn't work for me. But, having something you like a lot and keeping your mind off things does the trick.

Currently since 2011 I haven't taken any drugs for anxiety or panic. I haven't had any issues since training my brain on thinking positive.

Also I have helped a few others get off meds.

When people think of anxiety they think of being anxious before performing or an interview but never of G.A.D. this is when you suffer from Anxiety and physical symptoms for weeks or months on end. For me it was 2 years of constant symptoms and thinking I was dying.

So in short, I giggle and say it is all in your head and you can train your brain to do the correct thing. I used to tell myself and think to myself, wtf am I thinking, that my life sucks when there are people with down syndrome loving life, there are kids born with progeria, know they will live a short life but they live it to the fullest, then there are kids born with no limbs and still go on with life not hating it, the blind becoming painters, the deaf become composers. I have my 2 legs and arms, I have my sight, I have my hearing, I am smart, I am not dying any time soon, I have a job, cars, kid and all I ever wanted so why am I thinking of this bad crap?!

Just think about the above before thinking your life sucks more then the person next to you...

Anxiety symptoms:
http://www.anxietycentre.com/anxiety-symptoms.shtml

www.E46Turbo330Ci.com
WARNING: This modification is known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm due to the extreme G forces once turbo kicks in. ~ Nivo
The rest of my signature is reserved for pointless modification bits like: Halos | window Tint | carbon fiber roundels | short shifter
NIVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:52 PM   #69
Fergo

My Ride: still a gay 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIVO View Post
I myself went through an episode where in Feb. 2009 I had a panic attack, felt like I was having an actual heart attack!

My daughter was at work at the grocery store and she called me and said she was done with her shift. I drove there everything was fine, I walked into the store and saw her, everything was fine... all of a sudden I feel sweat dripping down my back, I felt hot. I start to feel what I call the internal jitters. Then my heart rate starts to climb, I had the feeling like my chest was caving in, like someone was sitting on it. Now, I felt like I was about to pass out, that lightheaded feeling.

I right away felt like I was possibly having a heart attack so once my daughter was out and with me I asked her if she wanted a drink, so without alerting her we got drinks and I bought some aspirin. Took the aspirin, dropped my daughter off and drove myself to the hospital.

At the hospital they did all the tests, on the 3rd day the doctor says "have you ever been told you have anxiety?" I said, well no.. what wrong with me?

Well all your vitals are good so we think you had vasovagal syncope.

They released me and I still felt like I was going to pass out. I had that, with chest pains and pressure, always had the tingly feeling on my left side as someone suffering from a heart attack would, I started becoming a Hypochondriac thinking I had brain tumors and sorts of stuff and always going to the hospital and doctors. Among others, I also had trembling, shivers, heart pounding really hard (150bpm), cold left side of my body. unstable hands followed after night sweats with the feeling like I was spaced out or derealization, unconnected to my life...

I had at least 30 physical symptoms from 2009-2011. From that time they gave me prozac, xanax you name it and they all made me feel worse. Mind you I still went to work that whole time with the feeling of passing out first of all along with all the other symptoms. Once I got home I would just go to bed since that is the only time I felt at peace.

I took effexor ER which helped some but then It game me sexual side effects so I slowly got my self off of them and started to look for alternatives. SO a support group, the right state of mind and continuing with my hobbies helped. I did some herbal stuff which didn't work for me. But, having something you like a lot and keeping your mind off things does the trick.

Currently since 2011 I haven't taken any drugs for anxiety or panic. I haven't had any issues since training my brain on thinking positive.

Also I have helped a few others get off meds.

When people think of anxiety they think of being anxious before performing or an interview but never of G.A.D. this is when you suffer from Anxiety and physical symptoms for weeks or months on end. For me it was 2 years of constant symptoms and thinking I was dying.

So in short, I giggle and say it is all in your head and you can train your brain to do the correct thing. I used to tell myself and think to myself, wtf am I thinking, that my life sucks when there are people with down syndrome loving life, there are kids born with progeria, know they will live a short life but they live it to the fullest, then there are kids born with no limbs and still go on with life not hating it, the blind becoming painters, the deaf become composers. I have my 2 legs and arms, I have my sight, I have my hearing, I am smart, I am not dying any time soon, I have a job, cars, kid and all I ever wanted so why am I thinking of this bad crap?!

Just think about the above before thinking your life sucks more then the person next to you...

Anxiety symptoms:
http://www.anxietycentre.com/anxiety-symptoms.shtml
I've had several panic attacks

Click image for larger version

Name:	i_hug_that_feel.png
Views:	25
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	496445

2 easy 2 make hp turbos
Fergo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:51 PM   #70
Green_Shine

My Ride: Back seat riding
Took Adderall for a year or so in college and that was a game changer for everything in so many ways. Minus the occasional dry mouth, I had no side effects at all. The key is to be properly diagnosed and properly prescribed the correct dosage.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:46 PM   #71
hi its me alec

My Ride: BMWs + 1988 Pathy
Send a message via AIM to hi its me alec Send a message via MSN to hi its me alec
I have a very good friend who's about to graduate with a mechanical engineering degree and has been dependent on addy for the entire time. Before he started doing that, he failed algebra twice in his freshman year of college. This scares me in so many ways. F this shiz

hi its me alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:45 PM   #72
fayraree

My Ride: 04 M3 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIFFIN View Post
masterbation.
this. only spelled correctly.

Last edited by fayraree; 03-20-2013 at 11:46 PM.
fayraree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:29 AM   #73
06E46M3
Banned User

My Ride: L;KL;KL;KL;LKL;;KLL
something to think about...ADHD is only diagnosed in 0.03% of kids in england..vs 7-10% in the states. honestly i don't know if it's a real disease as much as a personality trait...but people have used speed for more than the past century as a performance enhancer and maybe it should be treated that way instead of just medication. it also fvcks the curve when kids buy addies off their friends and take em. but again, i doubt ADHD is a real disease

Last edited by 06E46M3; 03-21-2013 at 12:29 AM.
06E46M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:12 AM   #74
v8 5

My Ride: 6 speed BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06E46M3 View Post
something to think about...ADHD is only diagnosed in 0.03% of kids in england..vs 7-10% in the states. honestly i don't know if it's a real disease as much as a personality trait...but people have used speed for more than the past century as a performance enhancer and maybe it should be treated that way instead of just medication. it also fvcks the curve when kids buy addies off their friends and take em. but again, i doubt ADHD is a real disease
The trick is, ADHD is not a disease - it's a disorder (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder)

and after studying so much Psychology, basically EVERYTHING a person does can and is classified as a disorder. Everything.

We have 4 websites within the family.
v8 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:04 AM   #75
SJZach

My Ride: orient blue 325xi
Generally people who are ADHD also have some other mental disorder. It can be anxiety, learning disabilities, etc...

Last edited by SJZach; 03-21-2013 at 07:04 AM.
SJZach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:13 AM   #76
Act of God

My Ride: 3.5 Liters of fury
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 5 View Post

and after studying so much Psychology, basically EVERYTHING a person does can and is classified as a disorder. Everything.
This. Turns out people like to find ways to explain to themselves why they (or their kids) aren't special or the best at things.

“They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns then it will be through the bullet.” - Saul Alinsky, quoting Lenin
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:38 AM   #77
scrace

My Ride: 03.5 M3
There is no biological free lunch. We also don't know the long term effects of these drugs.

The US sick care system just wants your $$$, you will depend on them forever, because with their "medicine" nothing has really been achieved, it's just the symptoms are gone without getting to the root of them problem. Healing is a slow process.

Your choice, but I wouldn't touch it, just like I wouldn't touch heroin or meth.

2001 Topaz Blue 325Ci 64-120k miles SOLD
2003.5 Silver Gray M3 70k miles
scrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:49 AM   #78
mistrzmiasta
I screwed up and can't post

My Ride: GLK350,ML63, Duc1098
there were times when social anxiety disorder was called shyness and you didn't need a prescription drug for it. now they come up with serious sounding names for common and NOT SERIOUS "disorders" in order to sell more pills. i was listening to a comedian the other day that said the same exact thing. these "disorders" have like 100 symptoms that when you read them you're bound to find a few that fit your problems. then they advertise PRESCRIPTION drugs directly to the public (which is fvcking retarded and don't know how it's still legal) and pay the doctors to push these pills (almost always unnecessarily) to people that ask for them. so basically you have people walking in to a doctor's office asking for ______ because they they feel they need it. the doctor checks the blood pressure and prescribes an unnecessary pill because he gets a kickback from the drug company. if i could make 3 things disappear it would be : drug companies as we know them today , the FDA , and Lair.

Last edited by mistrzmiasta; 03-21-2013 at 07:53 AM.
mistrzmiasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:09 AM   #79
Vin Vega

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistrzmiasta View Post
there were times when social anxiety disorder was called shyness and you didn't need a prescription drug for it. now they come up with serious sounding names for common and NOT SERIOUS "disorders" in order to sell more pills. i was listening to a comedian the other day that said the same exact thing. these "disorders" have like 100 symptoms that when you read them you're bound to find a few that fit your problems. then they advertise PRESCRIPTION drugs directly to the public (which is fvcking retarded and don't know how it's still legal) and pay the doctors to push these pills (almost always unnecessarily) to people that ask for them. so basically you have people walking in to a doctor's office asking for ______ because they they feel they need it. the doctor checks the blood pressure and prescribes an unnecessary pill because he gets a kickback from the drug company. if i could make 3 things disappear it would be : drug companies as we know them today , the FDA , and Lair.

^^^ This.

I had a friend that was prescribed to a few different anxiety pills, even though he had so much going for him. He attempted suicide (by taking all of these pills he had laying around) And everyone's like WHY WHAT THE HELL!

Oh yea.... suicidal thoughts are a SIDE EFFECT OF THE ****ING PILLS!

So what do they do? Hold him for a few days, and then prescribe him MORE PILLS! with a "wait and see what happens" approach.

I've had 3 kids from the street I grew up on OD on pills they were prescribed. Granted I've had more friends die from overdoses of harder drugs accidentally, I still see the prescription drugs being a bigger problem.

By kids I mean they were 24 / 25 / and 18.

Last edited by Vin Vega; 03-21-2013 at 09:10 AM.
Vin Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:17 AM   #80
casino is no lie

My Ride: M54B30
Simply because some doctors may needlessly over prescribe drugs does not diminish the fact that there are people out there who may legitimately need the medication. To down play GAD as simply being "shy" is intellectually dishonest and erroneously contributes to the confirmation bias of others with similar, while unfounded, beliefs.