E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-14-2013, 12:39 AM   #1
Rkatek321

My Ride: 2000 323i
ECU upgrade...which is better?

I'm looking into software upgrades for my Bimmer. Looking for input/ opinions. Which company is good to go with? Active Autowerkes...Dinan...Shark...or Epic? Shark and Epic seem to be DIY (thats cool)...and there is a shop near me that does AA and another that is a Dinan dealer, so getting either one of those won't be hard to do either......your thoughts guys?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fantasia Painting.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	495517  
Rkatek321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:57 PM   #2
SPDSKTR

My Ride: E30 with an S52
I have never seen any dynos from Active Autowerke, only claims. Shark is by and large the most "proven" out of the choices. Not too familiar with Epic. Dinan is going to be more mild, but still sporty.
SPDSKTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:42 AM   #3
HakenTT
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 323i with S54
stock is the best, so don't waste your money
HakenTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:12 PM   #4
Bino5150

My Ride: 99 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by HakenTT View Post
stock is the best, so don't waste your money
I have very rarely ever found this to be true. As a matter of fact, I can't think of one single time this has ever been true.
Bino5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:42 PM   #5
Rkatek321

There's ALWAYS better than stock!!!
Old 03-18-2013, 09:39 PM   #6
rkneeshaw

My Ride: 330i ZHP
I find it very hard to find good independent before/after dynos of tunes that show any major impact except for the "shark", which I believe has been documented to show an improvement. Its my opinion that you might only see a couple hp at best from a tune, especially if you dont have any other mods.

rkneeshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:09 PM   #7
Rkatek321

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkneeshaw View Post
I find it very hard to find good independent before/after dynos of tunes that show any major impact except for the "shark", which I believe has been documented to show an improvement. Its my opinion that you might only see a couple hp at best from a tune, especially if you dont have any other mods.
yeah...I'm finding that the case when searching. Only Conforti shows any dyno results. The others I hear about through word of mouth here on the forum. Found a lot of guys here that like Epic and Shark mostly. I'm not looking to go super fast, just make my Bimmer quicker when she needs it. So I know HP gains aren't going to be much, even with a CAI and exhaust. One thing I noticed, is that some people seem to have being fast and being quick mixed up. BMWs are very effecient cars, but there's always room for improvement. So I may just go with the Shark because it, as you said..."has been documented to show improvement"
Old 03-20-2013, 09:25 AM   #8
SPDSKTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkneeshaw View Post
I can't remember who it was, but they showed a consistent 6 or 7 WHP gain from the Shark Injector on the dyno.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkatek321 View Post
yeah...I'm finding that the case when searching. Only Conforti shows any dyno results. The others I hear about through word of mouth here on the forum. Found a lot of guys here that like Epic and Shark mostly. I'm not looking to go super fast, just make my Bimmer quicker when she needs it. So I know HP gains aren't going to be much, even with a CAI and exhaust. One thing I noticed, is that some people seem to have being fast and being quick mixed up. BMWs are very effecient cars, but there's always room for improvement. So I may just go with the Shark because it, as you said..."has been documented to show improvement"
The Shark Injector is your safest bet. There's one company, Bren Tuning, who supposedly got a gain of 20 WHP from a ZHP on a tune alone. I don't know how they fudged the numbers or how they rated them, but the guy who had the tune done says it FEELS like 20 WHP.

Last edited by SPDSKTR; 03-20-2013 at 09:26 AM.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:31 AM   #9
2002topasblueM3

My Ride: 2002 M3
http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...software-cable

This was posted on the forum a while ago. It sounds amazing.... But you never know if it's too good to be true. If I had $800 to experiment a tune different from the one I'm running now I'd do it, but that's not the case. Perhaps it may interest you though
2002topasblueM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:15 AM   #10
lcoleman

My Ride: '79 Massey Ferguson
Epic will probably net the most power, but I would tend to think any of these are a waste on an otherwise stock 323.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:33 PM   #11
Rkatek321

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcoleman View Post
Epic will probably net the most power, but I would tend to think any of these are a waste on an otherwise stock 323.
I agree...putting them on a stock car will not net any results. But...as a start....I will be adding a CAI and custom exhaust along with the software upgrade.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:35 PM   #12
lcoleman

My Ride: '79 Massey Ferguson
CAI won't do anything, and will likely make less power due to higher intake temps. Unless you're getting catless headers, a "custom exhaust" won't be anything but loud either. Most guys that ditch the cats go for the EU2 tune, I think.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:04 PM   #13
SPDSKTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcoleman View Post
CAI won't do anything, and will likely make less power due to higher intake temps. Unless you're getting catless headers, a "custom exhaust" won't be anything but loud either. Most guys that ditch the cats go for the EU2 tune, I think.
A single-pipe 3" exhaust with catless headers ends up showing gains of nearly 15 WHP. Toss in the Euro2 tune and it MIGHT be closer to 20 WHP. I don't rightly know what the actual figures are for the Euro2 tune, but it supposedly makes a pretty significant difference in the lower RPM range.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:30 PM   #14
effay

My Ride: 323Ci
im learning more about bmw softwares, but is there anything negative about these tunes?
effay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:59 AM   #15
Mrob

My Ride: '01 3-Pedal 330i
I feel like if you tried to go with the the Dinan tune, you wouldnt make anything significatn unless you bought the stage 3 tune as well as the CAI, throttle body and free flow exhaust. Im looking to do this but I also realize it's going to be expensive to "do it right."
Old 08-16-2013, 12:06 PM   #16
Ken@BavAuto
Bavarian Autosport

My Ride: 1989 325is
Just so you guys know our Power Programmer is a Shark Injector. The tuners on these cars do make a noticeable difference especially in throttle response. But the actual horsepower gains are far more modest than they were on cars back in the 80's where a chip alone could net 25-30 horsepower on some models. The Power Programmer/Shark injector is perfectly safe. About the only downside is the car won't be as tolerant if you run low octane fuel in it.

CONNECT WITH US
Facebook | YouTube | DIY Tech Blog | Twitter
Ken@BavAuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 02:15 PM   #17
HakenTT
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 323i with S54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken@BavAuto View Post
Just so you guys know our Power Programmer is a Shark Injector. The tuners on these cars do make a noticeable difference especially in throttle response. But the actual horsepower gains are far more modest than they were on cars back in the 80's where a chip alone could net 25-30 horsepower on some models. The Power Programmer/Shark injector is perfectly safe. About the only downside is the car won't be as tolerant if you run low octane fuel in it.
I agree. The whole 'pop culture' of getting more horsepower from your engine is from 1980s when the computer controlled engines started. On American V8s headers were brutally restrictive with small ports and sharp 90 degree angle plus conservative stock chip program. With performance chip and good heads you get 30hp, those days are over. Now cars are made with the least restrictive parts and with best tune possible, do to stiff competition of car makers to make less emissions and more power.
Best tune you can put on your E46 is European stock software, they were made for less emissions and more power.
HakenTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:45 PM   #18
Tbone8ty

My Ride: 2003 330i
OE tuning vs. AA. vs Shark injector?

which is best for stock 2003 330i 5 spd running on 93 octane?

dont care about down time or paying extra for dyno time.

however im in CT

anywhere that does this in the CT area?

Last edited by Tbone8ty; 08-18-2013 at 07:43 PM.
Tbone8ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:40 AM   #19
sedanpowersc

My Ride: 330i 5 speed
I'm waiting to get a dyno tune, I feel like there's more power to be had than any off the shelf tune, if I had to choose I'd get a shark

| BB Gen 3 Headers | Cosmos Racing V2 CAI | Muffler Delete | RE Underdrive Pulleys |
| 3.46 Diff | Tein S-Tech | Bilstein Sports | Hawk HPS | ASA AR1 | 35% Tint |
sedanpowersc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:44 AM   #20
Tbone8ty

My Ride: 2003 330i
That's makes no sense.

Shark is off the shelf tune
Tbone8ty is offline   Reply With Quote