E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-23-2014, 04:48 PM   #1
password.

My Ride: 325ci convertible
newbie question..

Hi
I have bought a e46 convertible and having issues with the roof so I followed the guide but still no luck front of roof lifts about 2 inches then I get a click from n/s rear I have check the wires for continuity and all ok I have checked neither cable under rear seat is broken ,
The red light flashes when the roof stops about an inch or 2 up from rest position,
Iv checked the storage shelf is set ok boot is closed correctly???

Any other ideas at all??
password. is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:37 AM   #2
E46DrEaMeR

My Ride: 2002 320Cic
just for info, last year I had a similar problem with my roof doing the clicking thing! but i also I had battery trouble too! where it would let me down now n then but not all the time (I didn't connect the 2 problems) in the end I decided to replace the battery as it was the original from 2002 since then the roof problem has not re-occurred, so I wondered if it was the battery causing the roof to play up (low amps or something) may not be the same for you but its something to think about.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:02 PM   #3
taylor192

My Ride: 2003.5 M3
Read the CVM codes, the red light blinking indicates an error code is stored.

It'll cost you some money to have an independent shop do this, yet it is the best course of action after the steps you have taken. You probably have a bad sensor, or broken wire that is hard to diagnose. The code will point you to exactly what sensor is complaining.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 03-24-2014, 05:21 PM   #4
password.

Well I need a new battery any way as it keeps going flat so will get me one tomorrow and I'll bring my scanner home see if I can retrieve a code and post my finding cheers people
Old 03-25-2014, 03:59 PM   #5
password.

No luck any more ideas?
Old 03-25-2014, 04:00 PM   #6
password.

I haven't tried the scanner yet but batter didn't help
Old 04-21-2014, 08:09 AM   #7
shift4inc

You really need to get the codes from the cvm. It's the module that controls the soft top operation. However even that may not totally diagnose the problem. My cvm had no related codes stored to the problem I just solved. With dis (BMW diagnostic software) on my laptop I was able to watch the cvm inputs and outputs in real time. I discovered the cowl unlocked hall sensor intermittently read yes to no. Would not have been possible just testing continuity with the top in a static position. As the sensor only went from yes to no during the top operation and the back to yes after the top stopped halfway. I suspect broken wire in your case as well. The wire can be completely broken (as in my case) but manages to touch again for most of the top operation. Common breakage points are at any of the bends. Mine broke near the base of the tension bow (I believe this is what it's called) but many break near the first bend by the windshield. I have also read the some people have simply run a jumper wire the length of the harness from as near the cvm as possible to as near the cowl panel as possible. If you do this be sure your wires don't interfere with the mechanism. I have also read that typically the smaller wires to the cowl hall sensors are most common for breaking. Green white and blue white I believe are the colours. Good luck!!!

This is where mine broke and the repair I did

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1398082182.668757.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	169.6 KB
ID:	554758

2004 330Ci Vert
shift4inc is offline   Reply With Quote