E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-15-2013, 02:42 PM   #21
TallSkinnyMatt

My Ride: E92 M3 ZCP
Yeah that makes no sense. Nothing needs to be coded. Just plug and play! He might be talking about recoding the airbag light? Not sure... I bought my first SMG wheels here. If you find a good seller you'll be fine. Bought my second one locally though. Are you looking specifically for an M3 wheel or just a sports wheel?
TallSkinnyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:01 PM   #22
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Only cars that need anything coded are my99 an early 00 e46s.
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:10 PM   #23
GATORSHOES2

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallSkinnyMatt View Post
Yeah that makes no sense. Nothing needs to be coded. Just plug and play! He might be talking about recoding the airbag light? Not sure... I bought my first SMG wheels here. If you find a good seller you'll be fine. Bought my second one locally though. Are you looking specifically for an M3 wheel or just a sports wheel?
I like the look of the M wheels bottom spoke, Vs the sport wheel that has a split. As far as the airbag light, that shouldn't even pop up if the battery is disconnected? Even if so, I have the tools to clear it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
Only cars that need anything coded are my99 an early 00 e46s.
I feel like the guy was talking out of his ass. Maybe if I had a 99 with a single stage airbag and was upgrading to the dual? But even then, I told the guy I had an 02.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:25 PM   #24
webster

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Its not about "wannabe fast"... if you maintenence is up to date, why not upgrade your steering wheel? The M3 wheel is much nicer while driving than a stock wheel. I love my M3 wheel! Probably one of my favorite mods.
i was talking about the bumper and exhaust, not the steering wheel.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:36 PM   #25
GATORSHOES2

Quote:
Originally Posted by webster View Post
I can see it from your point of view, but anyway, I plan on keeping the car for as long as I can, then later in the future up to a clean M3.

Not trying to look like I have power. Just a clean look in the rear? ._.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:48 PM   #26
TallSkinnyMatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by GATORSHOES2 View Post
I like the look of the M wheels bottom spoke, Vs the sport wheel that has a split. As far as the airbag light, that shouldn't even pop up if the battery is disconnected? Even if so, I have the tools to clear it.
Ah well i'm selling my sport wheel if you want it!

Quote:
Oh gotcha! Well even so... OEM Mtech bumpers look nice much better than stock, and everytime I hear my UUC TSE3 its But I can see where you're coming from. I wouldn't do quad exhaust setup like an M3. But I love the Mtech look!

Last edited by TallSkinnyMatt; 03-15-2013 at 06:49 PM.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:21 PM   #27
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Your 330ci has the same bumper from the factory and barely makes any more power...
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:35 PM   #28
GATORSHOES2

Just wanted to post an update. I got the steering wheel today, guy put it on for me there to verify all was good.

Man.. This wheel is so much more comfortable to drive with, no idea it would be this much of a difference.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:37 PM   #29
TallSkinnyMatt

Quote:
Just wanted to post an update. I got the steering wheel today, guy put it on for me there to verify all was good.

Man.. This wheel is so much more comfortable to drive with, no idea it would be this much of a difference.
Glad you like it Post some pics!
Old 03-16-2013, 07:49 PM   #30
GATORSHOES2

Quote:
Glad you like it Post some pics!

Old 03-16-2013, 07:51 PM   #31
TallSkinnyMatt

Looks great!!

(still think you should have done the SMG retrofit though) haha.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:56 PM   #32
GATORSHOES2

Quote:
Looks great!!

(still think you should have done the SMG retrofit though) haha.
This is just my opinion. But having an automatic, the closest I get is using the stepstonic shifter. So using paddle shifters would take a little away from that.

I mean, regardless, it's still an automatic.. But the paddle shifters do look cool.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:58 PM   #33
TallSkinnyMatt

Quote:
This is just my opinion. But having an automatic, the closest I get is using the stepstonic shifter. So using paddle shifters would take a little away from that.

I mean, regardless, it's still an automatic.. But the paddle shifters do look cool.
True true... but considering almost every new car now a days uses paddle shifters its kinda of nice. Obviously it doesn't compare to a manual... but it makes driving a lot of fun

But everyone has their own opinions. Thats what makes each fanatic unique The wheel looks great regardless!
Old 03-16-2013, 10:00 PM   #34
GATORSHOES2

Quote:
True true... but considering almost every new car now a days uses paddle shifters its kinda of nice. Obviously it doesn't compare to a manual... but it makes driving a lot of fun

But everyone has their own opinions. Thats what makes each fanatic unique The wheel looks great regardless!
It's definitely a nice retrofit. I probably wouldn't use it though is basically what I was saying. Props to anyone who did it too.

How is it shifting with the paddles VS the shifter? I'd imagine it's much easier.

I can't explain my preference of shifting with the shifter without it getting weird...

Thanks BTW. Done with the interior. Have yet to find a cure for the "mod bug" Time to get ready for a cooling refresh.

Last edited by GATORSHOES2; 03-16-2013 at 10:01 PM.
GATORSHOES2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:31 PM   #35
David McMahon

My Ride: 15/Dec/98 E46 328i
Judging from some the replies, am I right in thinking that a Pre Facelift E46 will need wheel coding if it's changed to an M wheel?

My Wheel does not have buttons but I assume that would need coding, if I got a wheel with more buttons?!
Old 03-16-2013, 11:55 PM   #36
GATORSHOES2

Quote:
Originally Posted by David McMahon View Post
Judging from some the replies, am I right in thinking that a Pre Facelift E46 will need wheel coding if it's changed to an M wheel?

My Wheel does not have buttons but I assume that would need coding, if I got a wheel with more buttons?!
Since you don't have controls, your plugs may be different.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=655912

As for coding, I'm pretty sure you will not. UNLESS there is a way to program your car from a single stage airbag to a dual stage? If so, maybe that's what the dealer was talking about. But anything past the year 2000 is a dual stage if I read correctly.

Edit again:

Looks like you can retrofit the controls. But as far as the steering wheel itself, it might just pop in, I'll search through the forums.
Like this thread, I couldn't find anywhere if the steering wheel from the 5er was exactly the same as the 3er. You guys came through though!

Last edited by GATORSHOES2; 03-17-2013 at 12:10 AM.
GATORSHOES2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:16 AM   #37
TallSkinnyMatt

Quote:
It's definitely a nice retrofit. I probably wouldn't use it though is basically what I was saying. Props to anyone who did it too.

How is it shifting with the paddles VS the shifter? I'd imagine it's much easier.

I can't explain my preference of shifting with the shifter without it getting weird...

Thanks BTW. Done with the interior. Have yet to find a cure for the "mod bug" Time to get ready for a cooling refresh.
Shifting with paddles is much easier for me. Especially when i'm driving up the Napa backroads and then doing some canyon runs... its nice not having to take my hands off the wheel! But like I said... its something that I really really enjoy... other people might not! haha.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:23 AM   #38
GATORSHOES2

Quote:
Shifting with paddles is much easier for me. Especially when i'm driving up the Napa backroads and then doing some canyon runs... its nice not having to take my hands off the wheel! But like I said... its something that I really really enjoy... other people might not! haha.
Stop making me reconsider! The SMG wheel is completely different correct? There's no "adding" the paddles to mine. I don't think it would make sense if you could add them.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:26 AM   #39
TallSkinnyMatt

Quote:
Stop making me reconsider! The SMG wheel is completely different correct? There's no "adding" the paddles to mine. I don't think it would make sense if you could add them.
Haha no i'm not trying to make you reconsider... the M3 wheel is amazing regardless!! The SMG wheel is completely different. I don't believe you can add them... But even so, with an SMG wheel you need a different clockspring. So you need to change that. As well as get some connectors and wires from the dealer, then extending the wiring and tap it into the steptronic wiring. So it takes some work... haha. You can always do it later if you really want!
Old 03-17-2013, 12:38 AM   #40
GATORSHOES2

Quote:
Haha no i'm not trying to make you reconsider... the M3 wheel is amazing regardless!! The SMG wheel is completely different. I don't believe you can add them... But even so, with an SMG wheel you need a different clockspring. So you need to change that. As well as get some connectors and wires from the dealer, then extending the wiring and tap it into the steptronic wiring. So it takes some work... haha. You can always do it later if you really want!
Yeah wiring is never a problem for me, unless it's my dynavin clone unit.. >.>
The wheel is amazing, I more than likely will never do the SMG wheel, but it does seem really cool. I'm assuming you can still use the shifter when in manual mode?