E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2013, 12:56 PM   #41
wasp9166
ima touching member
 
wasp9166's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: straight out da bronx
Posts: 4,884
My Ride: 04 330i jet black
Send a message via Yahoo to wasp9166
any member in europe can buy and ship them

and website of "some guy that has lsd for $1000 in europe "

please
__________________

"if polarity comes from protons, does morality come from morons?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ330 View Post
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."

Last edited by wasp9166; 05-05-2013 at 12:57 PM.
wasp9166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:32 PM   #42
peytonracer4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Valparaiso, IN
Posts: 6,115
My Ride: '00 328i
so if could get a LSD for under $1000...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander271 View Post
No I meant you
Will send you a pm when I get a chance!
__________________
choose to click or forever hold your peace ;)
peytonracer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:51 PM   #43
paraklas
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Cyprus
Posts: 5,798
My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
More info on the LSD? Ship them at my place, will send them to US, $300-$350 via Fedex, UPS, DHL, with the added taxes though it's not going to be <$1000
__________________
http://www.argyrides.eu/makeyourownsig.jpg
paraklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:43 PM   #44
peytonracer4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Valparaiso, IN
Posts: 6,115
My Ride: '00 328i
so if could get a LSD for under $1000...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasp9166 View Post
any member in europe can buy and ship them

and website of "some guy that has lsd for $1000 in europe "

please
I'd rather not post it as hell probably get a lot of people wanting them and he's clearly stated to me that he won't ship to the us
__________________
choose to click or forever hold your peace ;)
peytonracer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:00 PM   #45
Llink78
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Buffalo ny
Posts: 544
My Ride: 2002 330i
Way to tease us all. But thx for trying. Ill keep searching for a M rear at a decent price.
Llink78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:54 PM   #46
peytonracer4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Valparaiso, IN
Posts: 6,115
My Ride: '00 328i
so if could get a LSD for under $1000...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llink78 View Post
Way to tease us all. But thx for trying. Ill keep searching for a M rear at a decent price.
Sorry man. I'm as sad about it as you. Only reason I'm not going the m rear is because the offsets change and I'm not changing my wheels. And the ratio is too quick. I much prefer my 2.93 ratio.

and i saw your post a few back, yeah i'll send you his info if i can find it again. but like i said, he won't ship to the us. i've sent him a few messages and he says no. if you can get it out of him, let me know though. lol
__________________
choose to click or forever hold your peace ;)

Last edited by peytonracer4; 05-05-2013 at 05:01 PM.
peytonracer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:05 PM   #47
Llink78
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Buffalo ny
Posts: 544
My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
Sorry man. I'm as sad about it as you. Only reason I'm not going the m rear is because the offsets change and I'm not changing my wheels. And the ratio is too quick. I much prefer my 2.93 ratio.

and i saw your post a few back, yeah i'll send you his info if i can find it again. but like i said, he won't ship to the us. i've sent him a few messages and he says no. if you can get it out of him, let me know though. lol
Please if you can find the info. I have a friend in a month traveling across Europe for 2 months. Also I haven't gone with the m3 rear yet either bc when if I do I'll be looking for a 6 speed tranny also. No way can I see myself driving that ratio with a 5 speed.
Llink78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:57 AM   #48
wanganstyle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Northern California; SF BAY
Posts: 174
My Ride: 1998 M3 / 2002 325i
Any one here honestly serious about wanting a Clutch LSD for ~1K with stateside distribution?

Obviously installation, gearing, bearings/seals labor is another issue; No aftermarket LSD is designed to install itself....yet.



There is an upcoming Wanganstyle original design billet LSD in the pipeline for e46 non-M and all upcoming new BMW's this year;
Prototypes are mid process and will be tested on the King of Drift Europe Professional series target end of Q3.

Original Wanganstyle Design does NOT require milling of the differential housing at all; Production is by the same supply chain as willwood and brembo. Will have full range of options on internal settings as BMW customers are used to.

No data or specs released until global testing in europe/USA/asia /australia is completed.
__________________

LSD dreamers thread

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=14989087
WSG Billet CNC LSD production Development
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...pdate-backdate
S54B32+E36 1997 M3 Sedan+DTA S100 alpha N
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1437471

Last edited by wanganstyle; 05-07-2013 at 11:59 AM.
wanganstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:26 PM   #49
peytonracer4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Valparaiso, IN
Posts: 6,115
My Ride: '00 328i
so if could get a LSD for under $1000...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanganstyle View Post
Any one here honestly serious about wanting a Clutch LSD for ~1K with stateside distribution?

Obviously installation, gearing, bearings/seals labor is another issue; No aftermarket LSD is designed to install itself....yet.



There is an upcoming Wanganstyle original design billet LSD in the pipeline for e46 non-M and all upcoming new BMW's this year;
Prototypes are mid process and will be tested on the King of Drift Europe Professional series target end of Q3.

Original Wanganstyle Design does NOT require milling of the differential housing at all; Production is by the same supply chain as willwood and brembo. Will have full range of options on internal settings as BMW customers are used to.

No data or specs released until global testing in europe/USA/asia /australia is completed.
I am seriously interested. Probably not if the price exceeds $1000 but otherwise I am. You say full range of options, by that I assume you mean lockup percentage. But will you offer them in stock ratios? I'm not interested if I have to run anything higher than a 3.07. Preferably I'd want to run my stock 2.93 ratio.
Is this a drop in unit or will it be shipped in the pumpkin?
__________________
choose to click or forever hold your peace ;)
peytonracer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:28 PM   #50
Llink78
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Buffalo ny
Posts: 544
My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
I am seriously interested. Probably not if the price exceeds $1000 but otherwise I am. You say full range of options, by that I assume you mean lockup percentage. But will you offer them in stock ratios? I'm not interested if I have to run anything higher than a 3.07. Preferably I'd want to run my stock 2.93 ratio.
Is this a drop in unit or will it be shipped in the pumpkin?
I'm also super interested. This would be awesome that way I can keep my wheels and and worry about swapping a full rear end.
Llink78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:45 PM   #51
effay
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 163
My Ride: 323Ci
now this is ****ing interesting
effay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:50 PM   #52
zander271
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,365
My Ride: 6spd ZHP/5sp XI
My wife is going to kill me LOL.

Working in her car this week that I just bought and I just pulled the engine out of my old Mercedes for a tear down. Need more projects.
zander271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:30 PM   #53
Russian172
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Aurora, IL
Posts: 1,167
My Ride: Flying brick,e39 b28
i see M3 whole rear ends for around 1000 to about 1500 for a good one might as well do a rear end swap for peace of mind n what not
__________________
Russian172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:10 PM   #54
zander271
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,365
My Ride: 6spd ZHP/5sp XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian172 View Post
i see M3 whole rear ends for around 1000 to about 1500 for a good one might as well do a rear end swap for peace of mind n what not
That's way more work! Some people don't want the higher ratio, wheel offsets are different, and you have to get the front end of the car aligned differently. It may be $850 dollars closer to $1000 with shipping. But its a hell of a lot less work.
zander271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:28 PM   #55
TerraPhantm
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mountain Top
Posts: 5,839
My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
Sorry man. I'm as sad about it as you. Only reason I'm not going the m rear is because the offsets change and I'm not changing my wheels. And the ratio is too quick. I much prefer my 2.93 ratio.

and i saw your post a few back, yeah i'll send you his info if i can find it again. but like i said, he won't ship to the us. i've sent him a few messages and he says no. if you can get it out of him, let me know though. lol
i'm under the impression that there isn't an offset change required with the M3 rear end -- the only reason the M3 has lower offset wheels is because of its flared fenders. And I still think a 3.15 R&P from the E39 M5 would be fine for you guys
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:36 AM   #56
wanganstyle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Northern California; SF BAY
Posts: 174
My Ride: 1998 M3 / 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
I am seriously interested. Probably not if the price exceeds $1000 but otherwise I am. You say full range of options, by that I assume you mean lockup percentage. But will you offer them in stock ratios? I'm not interested if I have to run anything higher than a 3.07. Preferably I'd want to run my stock 2.93 ratio.
Is this a drop in unit or will it be shipped in the pumpkin?
There is No way to avoid paying a differential shop for labor- the LSD does not magically insert itself into the housing.
pumpkins also cost money - I'm sure your diff builder will be happy to supply you a pumpkin - at a cost $$$

BMW makes the pumpkin- its avail brand new from BMW if desired. Cost is ~ $1800 for a brand new BMW genuine OPEN diff in whatever ratio you order from BMW dealer.


Ratio = whatever you supply & order your diff builder to build

Built LSD units are ordered by individuals for racing use; real track/autox competitors need custom configuration of the LSD unit to suit the EXACT CAR.

Competition requires settings that do not fit for street needs; This is what a full range of Options means. Street people who want an OEM LSD do not need options for internal settings; off the shelf basic settings are designed to suit almost all - the e30 OEM lsd is just that. very mild and great for everyday use and occasional motorsports.


LSD unit = Limited slip differential unit - does not include anything besides the LSD capsule itself - ala OS Giken, Quaife, Wavetrac, KAaz.

The Bearings in your existing diff are NOT AVAIL FOR SALE: perhaps this will point to how much a PITA the E46+ newer differentials have been designed............



Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
i'm under the impression that there isn't an offset change required with the M3 rear end -- the only reason the M3 has lower offset wheels is because of its flared fenders. And I still think a 3.15 R&P from the E39 M5 would be fine for you guys

E46M rear crossmember and differential will directly install into a 330 and align just fine - Customers have given me their feedback post install and setup

3.15 or 3.23 ratios are common requests for people with e46 non-M that have installed a rear e46M differential.

One who cares about traction/lap time will replace the M-variable Viscous LSD anyways; it expires quickly-
Clutch type LSD is probably the most popular e46 M3 upgrade for those who have a e46M and dislike the m-varible unit.
__________________

LSD dreamers thread

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=14989087
WSG Billet CNC LSD production Development
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...pdate-backdate
S54B32+E36 1997 M3 Sedan+DTA S100 alpha N
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1437471

Last edited by wanganstyle; 05-08-2013 at 02:30 PM.
wanganstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:11 PM   #57
zander271
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,365
My Ride: 6spd ZHP/5sp XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanganstyle View Post
There is No way to avoid paying a differential shop for labor- the LSD does not magically insert itself into the housing.
pumpkins also cost money - I'm sure your diff builder will be happy to supply you a pumpkin - at a cost $$$

BMW makes the pumpkin- its avail brand new from BMW if desired. Cost is ~ $1800 for a brand new BMW genuine OPEN diff in whatever ratio you order from BMW dealer.


Ratio = whatever you supply & order your diff builder to build

Built LSD units are ordered by individuals for racing use; real track/autox competitors need custom configuration of the LSD unit to suit the EXACT CAR.

Competition requires settings that do not fit for street needs; This is what a full range of Options means. Street people who want an OEM LSD do not need options for internal settings; off the shelf basic settings are designed to suit almost all - the e30 OEM lsd is just that. very mild and great for everyday use and occasional motorsports.


LSD unit = Limited slip differential unit - does not include anything besides the LSD capsule itself - ala OS Giken, Quaife, Wavetrac, KAaz.

The Bearings in your existing diff are NOT AVAIL FOR SALE: perhaps this will point to how much a PITA the E46+ newer differentials have been designed............
My understanding is that this diff from Europe comes pre-build in the pumpkin.

Last edited by zander271; 05-13-2013 at 01:11 PM.
zander271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:33 PM   #58
TerraPhantm
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mountain Top
Posts: 5,839
My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanganstyle View Post


One who cares about traction/lap time will replace the M-variable Viscous LSD anyways; it expires quickly-
Clutch type LSD is probably the most popular e46 M3 upgrade for those who have a e46M and dislike the m-varible unit.
I doubt even 1% of the people here care about lap times. I'm sure they'd all be happy with an e30/e36 LSD if they fit.


M-LSD isn't viscous in the traditional sense... And I still haven't found any evidence I premature failures on primarily street driven M3s. Even Obioban's running the factory LSD, and his M3 leads a rougher life than almost any out there
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:30 PM   #59
iRide113
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Cali | Vegas
Posts: 368
My Ride: 2004 325i
I want.. Group buy?
iRide113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:20 PM   #60
JamusMcFamus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: North Augusta, SC
Posts: 47
My Ride: '02 325iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImolaSix View Post
The problem with that is that you're stuck with a 3.62 gear ratio which is way too aggressive for a 5 speed.
I've got a 3.73 in my wagon with a 5-speed, and I don't find it too aggressive. I get 26mpg highway, doing 70-75.
JamusMcFamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Censor is OFF





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use