E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-17-2013, 01:48 AM   #1
JoeyLovesM3

My Ride: Cayenne Turbo S
Slow, but ... How slow?

Looking at an amazing deal for a 325xi with the sport package. Won't go into details, but it's pretty mint and has low miles, clean title, etc.. I'm going to take a trip and test drive it, but, first, I wanted to know if its a good daily driver and still has that BMW driving experience before I waste my time. Is it possible to give this engine any power or not much? Please excuse my little knowledge of 325s. Prefer to hear from people who've actually driven/owned one. Thanks.

-Joey

J2
JoeyLovesM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:54 AM   #2
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Drive it and see if it's good enough for you. That's the only way to answer your question. For some people they might have had very low powered cars and a 325 is fast for them and for some they have stronger cars so it makes the 325 slow.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:58 AM   #3
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
It's isnt fast but it's enough. I had a 318is with 130 some hp and even that wasn't too slow for me.

Last edited by peytonracer4; 03-17-2013 at 03:59 AM.
peytonracer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:40 AM   #4
e4ortysix

My Ride: 03 325ci vert
I came from an E36 M3. I now own a 325cic.It is not a fast car by any means but it has enough power for me. It would take FI to make any significant power upgrade.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:59 AM   #5
KOpower

My Ride: 325ci
Dude enough power for the streets

More so if a manual

Not enough power for a race though - you will need M3 for that

My Ride:
2002 e46 325ci Manual - Sport & Premium Pkg
KOpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:23 AM   #6
shovelit

My Ride: 03 325xi and 04 330x
I own a 2003 325 xi with almost 150,000 miles on it. I think it's an excellent daily driver. It has enough power for me. Definitely not a race car though.
shovelit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:27 AM   #7
oAllElseFailo

My Ride: 328Ci
Coming from a Cayenne Turbo S - you might find it slow
Old 03-17-2013, 11:38 AM   #8
JoeyLovesM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oAllElseFailo View Post
Coming from a Cayenne Turbo S - you might find it slow
Lol this is true...

J2
Old 03-17-2013, 11:44 AM   #9
PH03NIX46

My Ride: '03 M3
I suggest you try your hand at a 330xi.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:44 AM   #10
sunsetcoast

My Ride: '99 323i & '00 323iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyLovesM3 View Post
I wanted to know if its a good daily driver and still has that BMW driving experience before I waste my time. Is it possible to give this engine any power or not much?
In general, the BMW driving experience is not about "power". It is about balance and refinement. Other than an M3, any e46 is going to feel underpowered after a Cayenne Turbo S.

Today's 4 cyl cars have the same output of the 2.5L six in the 325 (although they tend to be a bit heavier). Both our e46s are 323s (nearly identical output to the 325) and, with manual transmissions, they are excellent DD cars. But nobody should confuse a 325 for a Cayman.
sunsetcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:52 AM   #11
terzinator

My Ride: 325iT 5-sp RWD Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetcoast View Post
In general, the BMW driving experience is not about "power". It is about balance and refinement.
This is how I see it, too. Plenty of cars out there if you just want sheer, unadulterated power. (Or if you want to mod for quick and dirty HP... Audi & VW 1.8- & 2-liter turbos come to mind...)

E46FANATICS Touring Forum!

Last edited by terzinator; Today at 11:56 PM. REASON: Fear.
terzinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:53 AM   #12
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
It's isnt fast but it's enough. I had a 318is with 130 some hp and even that wasn't too slow for me.
Yes, but the M42 has the most soulful delivery of 130hp I've ever felt. Love that motor!

The 325xi should be enough if it's a stick. If it's automatic- I'd say too slow. But that's just my opinion.

The M54B25 is actually slightly sweeter- because it doesn't have the same harmonic challenges as the B30. It is an amazing motor. However, you won't be beating people at the jump at stoplights.

I'd drive a mint 325 with no complaints.
dont listen to these fuQ faces... just go to a junk yard and get a used complete left rear end. i cracked my left rear control arm on the highway because i was driving w/o shocks... lol! ***Was too busy caking on these bitches instead of taking care my car!***

Last edited by Grande D; 03-17-2013 at 11:53 AM.
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:54 AM   #13
boatshoe

My Ride: '03 330xi
I looked a bunch of xi's before I chose my 330, but the 325 is still not underpowered imo. No matter what car you get, you'll get bored with the power eventually and want more.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:55 PM   #14
Sweetness
E46 is strong with this one

My Ride: '01 325i
M54B25 > M54B30

Why? Harmonic Challenges, Oil Pump Issues, Seemingly More Reliable

Add a supercharger for $4000 (since you drive a Porsche, money shouldnt be a problem), and you'll have the nicest experience with these cars you can ever ask for.
Sweetness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:25 PM   #15
Grande D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetness View Post
M54B25 > M54B30

Why? Harmonic Challenges, Oil Pump Issues, Seemingly More Reliable

Add a supercharger for $4000 (since you drive a Porsche, money shouldnt be a problem), and you'll have the nicest experience with these cars you can ever ask for.
Not quite that simple. The oil pump issue and the harmonic issue are the same thing- and that's really only valid if you hang out at higher RPMs a lot. "Seemingly more reliable" is baseless.

The M54B30 is a "better" motor in most peoples books, but the B25 has some redeeming qualities too.
dont listen to these fuQ faces... just go to a junk yard and get a used complete left rear end. i cracked my left rear control arm on the highway because i was driving w/o shocks... lol! ***Was too busy caking on these bitches instead of taking care my car!***
Old 03-17-2013, 04:48 PM   #16
JoeyLovesM3

So it is possible to over time, through modifications, to gain more power? Or not very much? I'm not knowledgeable when it comes to mechanical things like this. Very unfortunately this one is automatic which is upsetting to me, the only pro to that is that it's an easier daily driver, traffic, drinking coffee, etc. although, I do love a nice six speed. Oh well, I guess, in the end, I'll just have to go see for myself and see if its enough for me.

...But what fellow fanatics think is also important. I do take advice into consideration, so I appreciate everyone's opinions. Thanks.

J2
Old 03-17-2013, 04:55 PM   #17
terzinator

My Ride: 325iT 5-sp RWD Sport
supercharger is one way to gain lots of power with these, but I'm not familiar with that stuff...

the previous owner of mine added some nice Dinan mods that extracted perhaps a few extra horsepower out of the engine (throttle body, muffler, chip and CAI), but I have no idea how many. Feels plenty peppy, but mine's a 5-speed manual.

E46FANATICS Touring Forum!

Last edited by terzinator; Today at 11:56 PM. REASON: Fear.
terzinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:00 PM   #18
Grande D

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyLovesM3 View Post
So it is possible to over time, through modifications, to gain more power? Or not very much? I'm not knowledgeable when it comes to mechanical things like this. Very unfortunately this one is automatic which is upsetting to me, the only pro to that is that it's an easier daily driver, traffic, drinking coffee, etc. although, I do love a nice six speed. Oh well, I guess, in the end, I'll just have to go see for myself and see if its enough for me.

...But what fellow fanatics think is also important. I do take advice into consideration, so I appreciate everyone's opinions. Thanks.
It's not cost effective to gain much power out of the engine. If you feel the 325 is too slow now, buy a 330.

You could also do FI down the road but that increases maintenance costs.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:16 PM   #19
Blocked Out

My Ride: Imola 330i M-Sport
with any natural asparated BMW it would be difficult to gain alot of power through modifications. Big power increase is definitely possible but would require alot of money spending.

With cars like 325/330 you can make about 25-35hp more with about 2000$ and if you plan on making any more naturally aspirated power, the cost will just into tens of thousands . This is exactly why most people buy a simple supercharger that can be bolted on within a couple of hours and will deliver 85-100 more HP for as little as 4000$, some kits go up to 7500$.

That said , if you really want to get into an E46 I would strongly suggest to look for a 330 manual. These cars are VERY old by now and alot of good units are available at little cost. I see absolutely no reason to buy an Xi for example, its a waste of time because a RWD E46 is just as good in the snow, providing you have a set of good winter tires. And plus the Xi is only something like 75/25 wheel split , so it still feels like a RWD car and ever handles the same is the snow. Xi will add over 350lbs to your cars weight , this will reduce MPG and reduce driving experience. Not to mention the problems that XI has with transfer case and front axles.

I strongly recommend that you look for a 330 in a manual trans. Look for a 03+ car, this is when the new updated version of an E46 came out where they changed some exterior features and fixed ALOT of problems found with earlier models.

If you go and drive a clean 03+ manual 330 and then go drive that auto 325, you will feel a day and night difference and you would have to hesitations writing a check for a 330.

Please read this artickle about E46, it will give you a general sense of what they are and some common problems with them

http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/index.php?title=BMW_E46

====>>> E46 Coupe Airbags
IMG_1725
Blocked Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:16 PM   #20
ac_2007

My Ride: 2004 M3, 2001 325i
Yesterday I started and drove my 325 for the first time this year.
It felt quick with the 16" wheels, which broke loose easily simply accelerating to the top of 1st gear.

An automatic Xi will feel significantly slower by comparison. Id only consider a 330Xi, AWD adds about 400-600lbs depending on configuration.
ac_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote