E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-26-2014, 03:38 PM   #1
petemo94

My Ride: 2004 325CiC
Strange Phenomenom - Windows rolled down automatically

So this happened once, but I didnt think anything of it.

But then it happened again, however this time it POURED for 45 minutes and when I walked up to my car at the end of the day, I found this. There was at least 1.5 inches of water in my map pocket on my door. Back seats, front seats and carpets were soaked.

What the heck could be causing my windows to unroll like this?

I am aware of the feature where you hold down the OPEN button on the key fob to unroll and take down your top. Could this be tripping when I have my key in my pocket?

Or is there other electrical gremlins that are showing up? Anyone else have this happen to them?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WindowsOpen.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	570820  

PeteMo94
2004 325Cic, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW, Owned since 12/1/12
///M3 Floor Mats - Power under my feet!

petemo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:40 PM   #2
petemo94

Why do the images all show up rotated 90-degrees? Frustrating!

PeteMo94

Old 08-27-2014, 03:05 AM   #3
SilberVogel
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2002 330Ci Conv.
Most likely your driverís door lock actuator is at fault. Holding the unlock position in the door is similar to holding the unlock button on your key fob, and thereís a sensor in the actuator that can malfunction, causing your windows to roll down. Itís a common issue, although Iím curious why (fortunately) the top didnít lower after the windows did.

This actually happened earlier this month to another member; hereís the thread they started: forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1047696.

And hereís another topic that mentions a few other possibilities (DME, central locking button, windshield cowl, etc.) that's worth reading about http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=795497. Usual culprit is the driver's door lock actuator, though.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:15 AM   #4
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
Bad drivers door actuator. This is a common problem in all of the E46 models, the problem is the convertible top is the same logically as the sunroof, so the windows will drop and the top will open with the key in the door.

There are 2 options, replace the drivers door actuator (best solution) or get software like BMW Scanner 1.4.0 and disable the comfort open feature for the windows and top/sunroof which would ignore the bad drivers door lock actuator.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 12:25 PM   #5
petemo94

Yea for some reason, the car stops unfolding the roof once the front latches are unhooked. Thats it. All 4 windows rolled down, roof unlatched and then STOP.

Happened once in the garage, got into the next morning and noticed the top-open button was flashing RED. The during a torrential rainstorm, it did it again. Soaked the heck out of the car, but all seems good. Will monitor for strange issues.

Thanks guys for the instructive links and commentary. Much appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilberVogel View Post
Most likely your driverís door lock actuator is at fault. Holding the unlock position in the door is similar to holding the unlock button on your key fob, and thereís a sensor in the actuator that can malfunction, causing your windows to roll down. Itís a common issue, although Iím curious why (fortunately) the top didnít lower after the windows did.

This actually happened earlier this month to another member; hereís the thread they started: forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1047696.

And hereís another topic that mentions a few other possibilities (DME, central locking button, windshield cowl, etc.) that's worth reading about http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=795497. Usual culprit is the driver's door lock actuator, though.

PeteMo94

Old 08-27-2014, 01:34 PM   #6
SilberVogel
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2002 330Ci Conv.
Quote:
Originally Posted by petemo94 View Post
Yea for some reason, the car stops unfolding the roof once the front latches are unhooked. Thats it. All 4 windows rolled down, roof unlatched and then STOP.

Happened once in the garage, got into the next morning and noticed the top-open button was flashing RED. The during a torrential rainstorm, it did it again. Soaked the heck out of the car, but all seems good. Will monitor for strange issues.

Thanks guys for the instructive links and commentary. Much appreciated!
That makes sense why it was just your windows then, and now that you mention it, I can actually see the top unlatched in your first picture. That's something that might be an easy fix after you tackle the door lock actuator.

I'd recommend reading though this thread (also a sticky) on convertible top electrical troubleshooting: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=854059.

You may have frayed or split wires in the wiring loom that runs along the driver's side of the top. A common place for that to happen is right at the first bend above the driver's seat. Read through that thread for more details and photos (post #6), but I had a situation similar to yours where the top would stop just after unlatching, and this was the fix for me. It's a straightforward DIY if that's your issue.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:30 PM   #7
petemo94

Well in this case, the fact that the roof stops unfolding at that point is a GOOD THING! Otherwise the entire car would have been subjected to the rain

However, the roof works perfectly when the car is running and the open-button is pressed. So I'm not worried about why it stopped, I'm very THANKFUL that it stopped.

Next step - replace the actuator and see if it happens again. It has only happened twice over the course of 2 months. Not sure what triggers it but glad I was directed toward this fix.

Thx for the help, much appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilberVogel View Post
That makes sense why it was just your windows then, and now that you mention it, I can actually see the top unlatched in your first picture. That's something that might be an easy fix after you tackle the door lock actuator.

I'd recommend reading though this thread (also a sticky) on convertible top electrical troubleshooting: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=854059.

You may have frayed or split wires in the wiring loom that runs along the driver's side of the top. A common place for that to happen is right at the first bend above the driver's seat. Read through that thread for more details and photos (post #6), but I had a situation similar to yours where the top would stop just after unlatching, and this was the fix for me. It's a straightforward DIY if that's your issue.

PeteMo94

Old 08-27-2014, 04:57 PM   #8
dknightd

My Ride: 2002 330 cic
Now I have this horrible vision of me sitting inside during a hail storm - and having my car open its roof and windows while I wait helplessly inside. Oh wait, I have a motorcycle helmet in the basement - problem solved as long as I am at home and see it happen
dknightd is offline   Reply With Quote