E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-22-2013, 12:45 PM   #1
crazyseaman

My Ride: e30
Adjustable damper settings in a vert?!

Hey,
So i picked up a set of BC Racing Coilovers. (i assume this question will apply to anyone with a vert).

My question is.. How do you adjust the rear damper settings? Unlike the front (or a coupe for that matter) there is no opening. Taking the rear shock out isnt too hard but its pretty obnoxious. (Also wouldnt this fuk up your alignment?)

I had the idea to pick up a set of extenders and drilling a small hole and extending it up into the vert roof compartment. This may work IF you can cut the length of the extenders- and if it doesnt effect the roof. (by rubbing on it ect inside the compartment)

I planned on using a bottle cap with some double stick tape and some chalk on it to see if it leaves a mark on the top when its down in this compartment. (too see where the mark is)

ANY IDEAS? HAS ANYONE DONE SOMETHING TO FIX THIS PROBLEM?

THIS IS A PIC OF THE TOP OF THE SHOCK:

Thanks an advance.
crazyseaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:10 PM   #2
taylor192

My Ride: 2003.5 M3
You can drill another hole, it will not interfere with the operation of the top. Just make sure you find a grommet to fill the hole with. Otherwise you'll find your trunk fills up with water as the top storage area is not water proof.

Caps lock is a sure way not to get a good answer.
Removing the shock will not change your alignment.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:34 PM   #3
crazyseaman

well rather then drilling a large hole to sqeeze my fingers in, I wanted to drill a tiny hole big enough for these extenders HERE trim then down so they sit as low as possible - still able to make adjustments, and then use a rubber O ring or something to prevent leakage.

You are positive the top doesn't lay on this area- I am not trying to create a friction hole.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:19 PM   #4
taylor192

My Ride: 2003.5 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyseaman View Post
well rather then drilling a large hole to sqeeze my fingers in, I wanted to drill a tiny hole big enough for these extenders HERE trim then down so they sit as low as possible - still able to make adjustments, and then use a rubber O ring or something to prevent leakage.

You are positive the top doesn't lay on this area- I am not trying to create a friction hole.
I didn't consider you wanted to keep the extenders permanently installed. I had considered an access hole to put them on when needed.

The best way to check the clearance would be to try it. Personally I would not want anything in that storage area that could possibly come loose and damage the top, and would lean towards a larger hole.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:42 PM   #5
crazyseaman

to my knowledge the extenders need to be attached with an allen key so It wouldn't be possible to remove it easily.

what if I made the two circles into one large oval? what would work as a plug?