E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-15-2013, 05:35 PM   #1
Bluebeef

My Ride: E46 M3
2001 M3 Recent Buy, Strange Problems

I recently got my hands on a 2001 Laguna Seca Blue M3, and am totally in love with it. I came from a '95 M3. I am having a few issues though, and the shop that tuned it up couldn't diagnose them. I'm hoping maybe you folks had some collective knowledge that might help.

1) If I don't give what seems to me (coming from the '95) excessive throttle while shifting, there is a nasty clunk sound from somewhere in the drivetrain. Feels like it's behind me, maybe the diff? I can avoid the sound by delaying when I would normally release the clutch, effectively giving it a bit more gas than what feels right. I've been driving it for 5 months and still feel like I'm a teenage girl learning my first stick shift. This also goes for when I push in the clutch. If my foot is off the throttle completely and I push the clutch in, I get a nice loud "clunka clunk"

2) When around 35mph and stepping on the throttle, something in the rear shudders. If I'm in 2nd and really pushing it, it can be violent. If I'm in 2nd and going easy, its not noticeable. Same goes for 3rd or 4th. Seems to have to do with the power I'm trying to put down at 35mph.

3) When making slow left-hand turns, something in the rear goes "ruuurrp ruuurp ruuurp". At first it sounded like one tire dragging as if it was a fixed axle. But it makes the same sound on gravel.

Sorry for the long post. I'm new so go easy on me. Some days I wish the E46 shifted and felt more like the E36.

Later!
Bluebeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:02 PM   #2
///M Powerd

My Ride: 2003.5 M3 Coupe
I would start with changing the diff fluid to SAF-JX + FM booster, Part #83222282583.

This should help alleviate some of these symptoms.

Once the fluid is changed you can re-evaluate how the car feels and go from there.
///M Powerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:26 PM   #3
Slyde

My Ride: 2001 M3 TiAg
+1

I second that action. Not a bad thing to do even without problems and it might just solve yours. Take a look a your Guibo while you are under the car.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:45 PM   #4
Brevik

My Ride: Tiag M3
Have you looked at the sub frame yet?
Brevik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:45 PM   #5
Bluebeef

The shop changed the diff fluid with the additive. They also replaced the diff cover and rear bushing - not sure about the front bushings.

Is that diff fluid better than the OEM? I will get under the car as soon as the weather breaks and check the fluid levels just in case. I'll check the joint too. Thanks!
Bluebeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:30 PM   #6
Slyde

My Ride: 2001 M3 TiAg
The aforementioned "SAF-JX + FM booster, Part #83222282583" is the OEM fluid, and there is a lot of consensus that it is the proper (and only) fluid to use in the M's differential.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:52 AM   #7
HunterM3

My Ride: 01 e46 M3
ouch. have the rear subframe looked at, from your description it sounds like you're a victim of a torn subframe.
HunterM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:06 AM   #8
greenhobby

My Ride: 2002 e46 M3
Check your RTABs

Sounds like it needs some work. Check the RSM's and RTABs as well. The diff does have a clunk when driving slow and taking turns (like figure 8 move), but you've got other sounds there as well. I agree with others, have the subframe checked immediately.

-gh
greenhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:44 PM   #9
duramax

My Ride: 2002 BMW M3
strange problems

check your centre bearing around the driveshaft and the guibo .
Old 03-16-2013, 10:36 PM   #10
VTEC_THIS

These were the same issues I had with the torn subframe, for sure the first thing I would look, check the trunk for cracks and get it up on a lift ASAP
VTEC_THIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:40 PM   #11
frank330ci03

My Ride: 2004 M3
Subframe is def number 2. oh god, could be big big money sorry. Number 1 I think we all deal with.
frank330ci03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:47 PM   #12
adamdifilippo

My Ride: The M
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank330ci03 View Post
Subframe is def number 2. oh god, could be big big money sorry. Number 1 I think we all deal with.
Glad I'm not the only one for #1!

Second does sound like subframe to me. I'm not as mechanically inclined as others on here, so maybe I'm wrong
I did just read a few threads about diff bolts coming out, if one bolt fell out causing the diff to sag could it cause this symptom?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App
adamdifilippo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:52 AM   #13
steve bettencourt

My Ride: 2003 m3
check drive shaft spider bearing or as everyone says the sub frame. Its kind of ironic that BMW would make the M3 with the same sub frame as a base model 3 series
steve bettencourt is offline   Reply With Quote