E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > The Showroom

The Showroom
This is the place to show off your BMW to other members of the community. Post pictures and videos of your car and the modifications you have done to it. If you need a picture of something on a coupe, sedan, convertible or touring you will probably find it here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-18-2013, 10:56 AM   #1
nimraynn

My Ride: 2000 E46 323Ci SE
Nimraynn's 323Ci SE progress thread

Had the car for nearly two months and absolutely loving it so far. Came from a Vauxhall Astra SRi XP 1.9 CDTi 150 which I'd owned for two years before a bloke in a Saab 9-3 estate wrote it off back in November.

So picked it up at the end of January. Bought it from a mate on another owners club as it used to belong to his brother who left for the US for work so had no need for the car anymore...

It's a 323Ci SE in Topaz Blue with light grey leather. The only real issues with it when I bought it were the throttle pedal was really stiff to press, there were a few marks in the paintwork and a small dent on the drivers door (no cracked/scratched paint and not on a crease so should just pop out). Ideally I wanted a diesel, but this car was so much cheaper to buy, insure and service that it didn't make financial sense to buy the diesel. I'd have saved money in the long term as the diesel is more economical and I do a lot of motorway driving on a daily basis... but it would've been around 1,500 initial purchase on top of the price of the 323, so it made more sense.

So within less than a day, I'd started changing a few bits... I can't leave cars alone Firstly there was the bonnet badge. It was pretty knackered so I bought a carbon style one off eBay. At the same time, I then fitted a set of white LED sidelights. Few days later, I fitted a genuine centre armrest that I won on eBay for just 16 and also a set of DEPO smoked side repeaters... and this is how it stood:

Next up, I painted the grilles gloss black, as I absolutely hate chrome:

Unfortunately most of the clips on the drivers side broke so it kept popping out about 1/2 inch... so I bought a new set on eBay that were already black. They're not gloss black but they still look OK. I may paint them later on.

At the same time, I fitted a set of CCFL angel eye rings:

Also fitted a full set of white LED lighting inside the car:

My last and latest addition was changing the storage section in the centre console from the plain open topped one to one with a sliding top:

My next plans are to get a few bits of the bodywork sorted out. I have an M-Sport style spoiler waiting to be painted and fitted, along with some minor rusting on the front arches and some marks in the paint on the roof that need looking at. I've got a mate that works in a bodyshop locally so I'll be taking it to him at some point in the new few weeks to get some quotes and/or work completed to try and bring it up to standard

Overall, my ideal plans are:

M-Sport front and rear bumper
Projector headlamps with 6000k HIDs
Black weather strips round the windows
Andrive headunit
8" ski-hatch mounted sub
All round speaker upgrade
Custom exhaust (OEM style, just make a bit more noise)
Eibach Prokit springs
Private plate

I'll probably add a few things to that as time goes on

Cheers for looking and I'll try to keep this up to date. When I'm modding my cars, I usually do it piece by piece on a monthly basis

Cheers,
Mike
nimraynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:10 AM   #2
scruffyBrIaN95

My Ride: 1989 BMW 318i Coupe
Yes, I already like this so far, hopefully looking at buying one my self soon!!
Keep up the nice work!
scruffyBrIaN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:41 PM   #3
nimraynn

Next up, bought a set of Tunningart coilovers, second hand but in pretty good nick. Only on the guys car for 6 months so hardly used:

Got some assistance from a few mates fitting them and we ran into so many problems that it took circa 2 weeks to get it back on the road... First main issue though was we fitted the fronts first, but didn't touch the adjusters. They were all the way down and we couldn't get the jack out:

Next issue was that the alloy was rubbing the adjusters. Jacked it up and now it just rubbed the tyre. It wouldn't go high or low enough to stop it rubbing... so we abandoned it in my mates cul-de-sac for a week while I ordered some 15mm hubcentric spacers and got the time to go back:

Got them fitted and the wheels now cleared with no issues. Easily fit your hand between the adjuster and the wheel now. Took it for a test drive and it was making knocking noises whenever you went over a bump, large or small... but as we lost light and I was a fair distance from home, I risked it and drove it home... slowly... Made it no issues. Set out the next day to check the top mounts were tight and snapped a bolt on the top mount somehow... So new top mounts ordered:

Then finally finished the fronts:

Then the next day, in the pouring rain (Typical British weather!!) fitted the rears and got it sorted finally:

Only issue now was a knocking noise coming from one side whenever going over a bump. Top mounts seemed OK. Took the drop link off on the drivers side and it stopped. Turns out the shortened drop links that came with the coilovers (Hyundai Coupe ones I'm led to believe) were too short... so ordered a set of adjustables:

Got those fitted and all is well. Just need to get the wheel alignment done to finally finish it.

Next up, DEPO smoked indicators. Because mine is an early pre-facelift (March 2000), it has the clip type ones and I could only find the screw type ones in the UK... so one of the UK E46 guys ordered me a set from the US while he did another order.

Before:

After:

And my current favourite picture from yesterday's trip to Lydden Hill race circuit:

Unfortunately not out on a track day, but a local car show with my local car club... we just happened to be let in via the actual track, through the pit and onto the grass show ground on the other side. Love that picture though!!
Old 05-07-2013, 04:25 PM   #4
jdny516

My Ride: E39 ///M5
Nicely done so far. Subscribed, and long live 323!
National Capital Chapter #465420
2000 ///M5 ///M Registry
Oxford Green Metallic II (430) | Caramel Nappa Leather (M3CR) | Brushed Aluminum Interior |
Tuning Tech Frank Smith Tune
Tuning Tech IAT Kit
SuperSprint Headers
SuperSprint X-Pipe
Eisenmann Race 4x83mm
DINAN Front Strut Brace
Storm Motorwerks Products

My Progress Thread

2000 323Ci | TiAg | Gray | 5MT | SOLD
jdny516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:32 PM   #5
effay

My Ride: 323Ci
definitely subscribed beaut 323. where did you order your adjustable links from ?
effay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:52 AM   #6
nimraynn

Cheers

I bought the adjustable drop links from Veedubmachine: http://www.veedubmachine.co.uk/adjus...90-p-2243.html
Old 05-08-2013, 07:00 AM   #7
330xIce

My Ride: 2005 330xi
Send a message via AIM to 330xIce
Love it. Great photography in regards to that first group of shots

Follow Me On Instagram: JamesMarshall_E46

///My Progress Thread - How To Set a Signature - Black Sedans FTMFW
-James-
330xIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:16 AM   #8
Brevik

My Ride: Tiag M3
Love the style 44's with spacers
Old 05-08-2013, 07:43 AM   #9
THECLEANERBEAMER

My Ride: 2002 325i
Nice job!
Old 05-11-2013, 12:48 AM   #10
fiv216

My Ride: 2005 325xi
where did you get those roundels !
fiv216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:42 AM   #11
hi its me alec

My Ride: BMWs + 1988 Pathy
Send a message via AIM to hi its me alec Send a message via MSN to hi its me alec
Cheers x 2 !

hi its me alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:48 AM   #12
nimraynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiv216 View Post
where did you get those roundels !
eBay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Blue-C...item2c6888f7ac

I've only got the front one at the moment. The badge was absolutely knackered when I bought the car so I bought this badge even before I bought the car Still need to do the rear, steering wheel and centre caps. Not sure if I'm actually going to bother doing the centre caps as I want to change the wheels and I'm thinking non-OEM like some CH's or LM's.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:03 AM   #13
djnekkon

My Ride: MB3ci Regensburg Bav
sweet looking. enjoy
djnekkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:50 AM   #14
TallSkinnyMatt

My Ride: E92 M3 ZCP
Great looking car! Love the color
TallSkinnyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:14 AM   #15
effay

My Ride: 323Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimraynn View Post
Cheers

I bought the adjustable drop links from Veedubmachine: http://www.veedubmachine.co.uk/adjus...90-p-2243.html
Thank you so much !

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
effay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:27 PM   #16
//MPOSTER

My Ride: 01 AP White 330ci
Send a message via Yahoo to //MPOSTER

Nice car.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
//MPOSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:49 PM   #17
Studdly_Studright

My Ride: 135i
Very clean! I like the gloss black grills I never liked matte on a dark colored car.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:11 PM   #18
domcreates
Banned User

My Ride: Jet Black 1999 323i
Nice clean car!
domcreates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 04:31 PM   #19
nimraynn

Cheers

Got a few things planned for pay day, but in the mean time, I was looking for something cheap/free to do. I read about the golf tee mod and reckoned I'd give it a go, so I went out and found out that my butterfly was actually siezed shut:

Sorted out the golf tee mod anyway, although used a screw instead:

Then went about trying to free the flap. Managed to bend it a bit, but after much persuasion, the whole flap just snapped off!

Pretty happy with the new exhaust note though. I was planning on getting a new aftermarket exhaust soon anyway, so this has saved me a few quid for at least a short while

Before

After

Last edited by nimraynn; 06-23-2013 at 04:31 PM.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:16 AM   #20
nimraynn

Wow, apparently done a great job of keeping this up to date :lol:

The next mod I did after the golf-tee was the brake calipers. Decided I was going to go down a yellow themed route so picked up a tin of yellow Hammerite and went to work:

Next up is quite possibly the biggest thing I've done to the car so far... I really wasn't a huge fan of the style 44's that it came with. I'm keeping those for winter wheels, but for my main wheels, I wanted something a bit nicer, staggered 18's with a bit more space to see through them to show off the calipers and bigger brakes when I finally get round to doing it...

After much umming and arring, spent my 500 and got four nice big boxes

A nice set of 18" staggered CSL replicas. ET35 front, ET40 rear. Slight concave on the rears
Picked up a pair of 225/40/18 part worn Bridgestone Potenza RE040's from a mate for 40, and then another pair of 255/35/18 part worn Bridgestone Potenza RE050's from another mate for 60. Bargain!
Got the tyres fitted, then set about fitting them

You'll notice in these pictures as well that I've changed the chrome weather trims for gloss black. They're actually the originals, just wrapped in black vinyl

The next day, I dropped the front coilovers slightly. Nothing major, just a slight drop. I felt the back sat perfect, but the front was still a little high. I also fitted a set of carbon fibre centre caps to finish the wheels off. They do have a rectangular insert for the ///M badges, but not sure what to put there yet. Don't want ///M badges but can't think of anything else.

This was how she was sitting last weekend at Trax 2013 over at Silverstone race circuit:

Next plans are to get some bodywork sorted. The front arches are rusting a little bit, so need to get those sorted before winter. Don't want them getting eaten by the salt and snow. Same goes for the bonnet, few stone chips going rusty and a bit of flaked paint going rusty on a corner. Get that sorted first... then I think stereo overhaul is the next thing to sort