E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-18-2013, 12:59 PM   #1
Erns

My Ride: 2005 325i
Bluetooth - U Can Hear Me But I Can't Hear U

Hello. Recently bought a 2005 325i. From these boards, I learned that because it had a production date of 11/04, it had bluetooth. (Thanks.) I also learned from the boards that the Bluetooth card that accompanied owner's manual might very well be the wrong one (i.e., listing the incorrect passkey), and that might explain my inability to pair. (Thanks again.) Of course, this led me to learn that the passkey can be found in the trunk behind the left side panel, on the ULF (once again, thanks, although to anyone else who needs to do this, not all of the threads make it clear that the label (at least on mine) is on the underside of the ULF, so you need to remove it to view the label).

So, I have been able to successfully pair my iPhone 5 with the car. Address book auto downloads, etc. The "speaking person" button will initiate or answer a call. The R/T button will switch it over to the phone. When a call comes in (or if I initiate one), the radio mutes. The microphone apparently works, because the person on the other side can hear me no problem. The iPhone shows the BMW as the audio source.

The sole problem is, I can't hear them. Any helpful thoughts?

[In case it might be relevant, the car has an iPod adapter (with the 30 pin coming into the glove box). Not sure which one (BMW or third party), as I have not pulled it out. I have, however, pulled the radio out and can see that the iPod adapter is a silver rectangle with a foam rubber wrap, with two connections, and that the wire going out to the iPod 30 pin connection is a BMW part. Although it didn't work initially, it must've just had a loose connection, as when I pulled the radio out and I pushed on the connections and it is now working. It uses the connection for the CD changer, and appears to be able charge a regular old iPod, but not an iPhone.]

Now that I've written this all out, I'm wondering if it's possible that the volume level between the radio and the phone over bluetooth are independent, and can be so altogether different from each other that it's just that the call volume is somehow unexpectedly low. Since I can't hear anything at all, and I think I already tried turning up the volume while on a call, I don't think that's the problem, but if the car were with me at the moment I would double-check.
Erns is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:50 PM   #2
05 ZHP Man

My Ride: 03 SG M3
I was having the same issue with mine but I found that if you initiate the call from the iPhone instead of using the actual pickup/hang up button you may have those issues. Try using the call button under the R/T button. Sorry if your already doing this and it's not working....
Old 03-18-2013, 10:13 PM   #3
Erns

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05 ZHP Man View Post
I was having the same issue with mine but I found that if you initiate the call from the iPhone instead of using the actual pickup/hang up button you may have those issues. Try using the call button under the R/T button. Sorry if your already doing this and it's not working....
That's what I do (initiate call from the steering wheel controls). But thanks for giving it a shot.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:30 PM   #4
Erns

Okay, I got it figured out and corrected. Whoever installed the iPod adapter (it is the BMW kit) only did the re-wiring for the 17 pin connector. They did not do the re-wiring for the 10 pin connector (which, interestingly, is by far the easier of the two). To be clear, they did sub the 10 pin connector from the iPod kit for the original 10 pin connector. What they failed to do was remove pins 3 & 8 from the original 10 pin connector and put them into the iPod 10 pin connector. I did this, and now all is well.

I found the following to be helpful.

The directions and photos at: http://m3.madrussian.net/diy_ipod.shtml
The installation instructions (pdf) at: https://www.bavauto.com/Assets/inst_pages/ins289.pdf

As a side note, the "Radio I/F cable" in my kit only has three wires coming out for the radio connector, not four like the two sources I list above (the connector has places for four wires - but only three are used). Not sure why, but everything seems to work.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:53 PM   #5
csar2013

My Ride: bmw 325i w/sport
Unhappy bluetooth connectivity

I have just joined the forum looking for info when I happened upon this thread. My question is....I have a 325i manufactured in 11/04...In have bluetooth and my android phone has recognized the car. I did find it helpful that the code card I had was not the right code to pair with the car, but it seems there was an additional card that I found with another code that did work. In any case, I am unable to get the car to connect with my phone and the instructions for the process are relatively vague! I get to the point where I see a message that says: "Activate Phone" but am unclear as to what to do next and what I should see happen. I am trying to do this without going to the dealership. Can anyone help me with this? Please?
csar2013 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2005 325i, bluetooth, iphone 5, ipod kit