E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-26-2013, 03:14 PM   #1
328ci_steez

My Ride: 2000 328CI
New, question regarding sub frame..

hey guys, been lurking on here for a while, finally decided to sign up. basically because i have a few questions...

reading about the sub frame issue and im planning on taking the car to get it looked at here soon (this week). i dont have any sounds/noises coming from the back but id like to have the guy look at it, tell him the usual "problem" with these cars and get an estimate to do some preventative maintenance, weld in the reinforcement kit and whatnot..

one of my questions is, is what ELSE should/could i possibly have him do while hes down there? just looked through a thread, saw whats involved. dropping the driveshaft and gas tank, etcetcetc...the main problem im seeing is the sub frame deal but is there anything ELSE i should be concerned about, anything else i could have him do or fix (even if its not broken but possibly will be soon) while hes down there with the car torn apart?? you know, to save on labor in case i have to get all that pulled AGAIN *crosses fingers that doesnt happen*

and also ive seen different kits, some seem to come with parts to reinforce a whole bunch more. something about rear camber plates, orrrr??? im not a mechanic by ANY means so if thats wrong, my bad. i wish id bookmarked that page of that kit but i didnt...but does that sound right? is there more to reinforce than the subframe area near rear axle carrier bolts (i hope i said that right but i doubt it haha)

oh and this is my first bmw, its a 2000 328CI with 145K on her. unfortunately shes an automatic :/ but oh well, for my first bimmer and i couldnt be happier wanted a 3 series for as long as i can remember...anyways, any help would be greatly appreciated. i love reading through posts on here and thank everyone for any/all the advice/info. so, umm...yeah. anyone?
328ci_steez is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:17 PM   #2
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Click the suspension link in my sig and see stage 3. I'd highly recommend doing all those if you plan on keeping your car a long time. Not something you want to drop the subframe again for.

As for PM on the subframe, epoxy + plates + foam injection is my personal recommendation.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:37 PM   #3
328ci_steez

My Ride: 2000 328CI
nice, thanks man. ill have to read that more in depth later (work coming up). ill have the guy im taking the car to read it, too. he said to bring whatever id like to show him about this online. he has his own shop, hes never done THIS exact thing but he builds like hot rods and custom suspension work or custom everything work i guess? rides from the ground up, so to speak. i called a few different places and they all told me to get a hold of this guy, so....

and do you mean epoxy the actual reinforcement plates as opposed to welding them? that just...i work in the fishing industry, done plenty of fiberglass and epoxy work. so i know how strong epoxy can be, especially with the right fillers and additives, but i just cant imagine even with all that that would even come close to the strength of something welded in there...maybe i read that wrong though?

and do you know if i need to get an actual kit or could he just fabricate his own pieces? im just worried, i mean i know he does all his own stuff, but wouldnt it be better to just get the kit anyways so he has everything he needs and doesnt need to figure it out on his own?? i mean, hes never done this before....id just feel more comfortable bringing him a kit. am i being just totally anal in thinking that?? bah, gotta get to work. thanks for any help, anyone. be back to check this later. later
328ci_steez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:41 PM   #4
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxesinsoxes View Post
nice, thanks man. ill have to read that more in depth later (work coming up). ill have the guy im taking the car to read it, too. he said to bring whatever id like to show him about this online. he has his own shop, hes never done THIS exact thing but he builds like hot rods and custom suspension work or custom everything work i guess? rides from the ground up, so to speak. i called a few different places and they all told me to get a hold of this guy, so....

and do you mean epoxy the actual reinforcement plates as opposed to welding them? that just...i work in the fishing industry, done plenty of fiberglass and epoxy work. so i know how strong epoxy can be, especially with the right fillers and additives, but i just cant imagine even with all that that would even come close to the strength of something welded in there...maybe i read that wrong though?

and do you know if i need to get an actual kit or could he just fabricate his own pieces? im just worried, i mean i know he does all his own stuff, but wouldnt it be better to just get the kit anyways so he has everything he needs and doesnt need to figure it out on his own?? i mean, hes never done this before....id just feel more comfortable bringing him a kit. am i being just totally anal in thinking that?? bah, gotta get to work. thanks for any help, anyone. be back to check this later. later
He could fabricate his own pieces, I'm sure.

As far as epoxy/weld, I have no experience with either, but common sense tells me the modification is about distributing load and has less to do with the strength of method of attachment. In theory, you shouldn't need to weld/epoxy anything but since there's no natural cavity for the plates to fall into, epoxy/welding helps. With welding you are just going around the perimeter of the plates and there could be a pocket of air in there where no load would be applied (in theory anyway) but with epoxy you have a thin layer of structure to evenly disperse the load. That's why personally I'd go epoxy. Plus I don't know how to weld

The important thing is that you do it. GL!

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote