E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-18-2013, 03:16 PM   #1
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Top 10 Best / Worst Protein Sources

Wondering where to get your protein from? This is a great writeup (and goes to show all cuts of meat are NOT even close to being equal).

I can tell the difference between grass fed / grain fed beef by the marbling before I even taste it!

Just because it says "Protein" on the nutrition label does not mean it is the same.

Original Article

Here are my ten ideal sources of protein, and their popular but inferior counterparts.

10. Winner: Grass-Fed Beef

Loser: Grain-Fed Beef

The average cow is raised on cheap grain that will kill it after about six months (they're conveniently slaughtered before this happens - but not always). Hardly something I want to put in my body. Grass-fed, organic beef won't make the vegetarians happy, but this beef is rich in beneficial fatty acids that are missing from the factory-raised cattle. It's cleaner, healthier, more flavorful, and richer in nutrients. And grass-fed beef is typically raised in humane conditions. If you eat beef, grass-fed is a must. It's getting quite easy to find these days, but you can order online from many outlets as well.

9. Winner: Organic Chicken

Loser: regular frozen chicken

No comparison. Did you know chicken has flavor? Yeah, bizarre, I know. Chicken raised properly (not shoved by the cluckload into dirty factories) is rich in EFAs and is one of the most efficient, lean sources of protein available.

8. Winner: Wild Salmon

Loser: farmed salmon

Fish is healthy, right? Don't even bother patting yourself on the back for eating salmon if it's from a farm. Farmed salmon is produced in a way that's the seaside equivalent of a chicken factory. As a result, the fish are often sick and infected. They're fed cheap feed that does not yield the desirable Omega-3-rich flesh. They're miserable.

Stick with wild only. Most restaurants use farmed salmon, so you have to get a little aggressive about this.

Notice a trend here with my emphasis on good fats in protein foods? Source makes a huge difference in the quality of protein you get. Meat is - or was - a very valuable food because it's so dense in nutritious fat and protein. What an efficient, rich source of energy! Helpfully, our modern factories have eliminated the nutritional value and left us with weak, flabby, carcinogenic, diseased patties and drumsticks. Hey, thanks, guys. (Although we consumers don't get off easy: maybe if we ate less***8230

7. Winner: Tuna fish

Loser: fish sticks and popcorn shrimp

I don't think I need to go into this one.

6. Winner: Organic DHA-Enhanced Eggs

Loser: egg substitute and/or regular eggs

If eggs were meant to be eaten as mechanically-separated, low-fat, chemically-altered whites in a carton, the chickens would have done it by now. But an egg is a chick in the making. It's rich in antioxidants, good fats, vitamins, and - for the calories - a lot of protein. Things like Egg Beaters are the result of food manufacturers exploiting fears based on grossly inaccurate health information. There's nothing healthy about such unnatural products.

5. Winner: Organic, Plain, European (Greek) Yogurt

Loser: regular yogurt

No comparison. The European stuff is richer, fattier, more nutritious and lower in sugar. Again, when choosing an animal protein source, choose one that also provides valuable fats to maximize nutrition. Don't go for the conventional animal products that are high in chemicals, hormones, bad fats, and sugars. Yogurt isn't a staple of my diet, but if I eat it it's certainly not a plastic cup of sugar-infused strawberry dessert.

4. Winner: Tempeh

Loser: tofu and "mock meats"

Fermented foods ought to be part of everyone's diet, vegetarian or not. Tempeh is one that is chewy and delicious, even to die-hard burger fans. It's healthy and a much better bet than heavily processed tofu or "mock meats" that are brimming with poor-quality modified proteins, sodium, chemicals and starchy fillers. In my opinion it doesn't compare nutritionally or in taste to a juicy steak but as vegetarian options go it ain't half bad.

3. Winner(s): Quinoa

Loser(s): green beans & any large, starchy bean: kidney, great northern, lima

Don't get me wrong, green beans are decent veggies. But these "beans" contain very little protein. Kidney, northern, navy, lima and other starchy beans are also rather limited in their protein amounts and contain a high amount of carbohydrates. Quinoa (pronounced "keen-wah***8221 is a so-called "complete protein" grain - the only one of which I'm aware. Though I stay away from grains entirely, for a vegetarian protein option you could do much worse.

2. Winner: Almonds and Almond Butter

Loser: peanuts and peanut butter

Peanuts are one of the least nutritious nuts (and they're not technically a true nut anyway). When adding a handful of nuts to your salad for protein, go with almonds. Almond butter is less toxic and allergenic than peanut butter, although the protein amounts are similar by comparison (between 6 and 8 grams, usually). Still, this is about quality protein, not necessarily the amount. When it comes to protein, people often think that "more is more". A giant steak will certainly give you "more" protein, but if it's conventionally raised and is an unreasonable portion size, it'll give you a whole lot more trouble, too.

Note: "Cows' milk is for baby cows," the saying goes. You'll notice I left cheese and milk out of this list. I think dairy is less than ideal for human consumption, though I do like yogurt because it's a fermented food. Raw dairy is healthy and enjoyable for many people, but generally, I think quality meat is better for you than quality milk. Less processed cheeses such as ricotta, buffalo mozzarella, goat cheese and mascarpone are superior to more heavily processed cheddar, colby and jack. Cream and butter are fine in cooking, because I don't fear saturated fat, but I am concerned about folks who substitute lean, nutritious meat with highly-processed cheese.

Last edited by dabears; 03-18-2013 at 03:17 PM.
dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:23 PM   #2
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
I love peanut butter and eat five spoonfulls a day

435 Horsepower 328Ci
Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Wrapping an E46 in Vinyl : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=bronze
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:26 PM   #3
dabears

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
Well I love burgers and fries but that doesn't make it healthy lol
Old 03-18-2013, 03:29 PM   #4
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
switch to almond butter.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:31 PM   #5
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
switch to almond butter.
How's it taste/compare? I've never really had it.

And when I say I have a lot, I mean a LOT. If I'm rushing out the door, eggo waffle sandwich w/ peanut butter. Snack on 4 layer pb&j sandwiches, protein shakes with pb, etc.

435 Horsepower 328Ci
Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Wrapping an E46 in Vinyl : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=bronze
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:45 PM   #6
rohde88

My Ride: S2000
seems like we are splitting hairs with the beef/salmon/chicken thing.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:48 PM   #7
DylloS

Quote:
How's it taste/compare? I've never really had it.

And when I say I have a lot, I mean a LOT. If I'm rushing out the door, eggo waffle sandwich w/ peanut butter. Snack on 4 layer pb&j sandwiches, protein shakes with pb, etc.
completely different. Not as sweet and more expensive. It's more grainy too. Chew a few almonds and right before you swallow imagine that's what almond butter tastes like. Are you using natural PB at least? Only ingredients are peanuts and salt?
Old 03-18-2013, 04:27 PM   #8
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!

My Ride: A sexy ass ///M4!
Some of you guys really over-think this stuff.
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:30 PM   #9
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post
seems like we are splitting hairs with the beef/salmon/chicken thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
Some of you guys really over-think this stuff.
i kind of agree. To me it's not worth the extra $50 a week on grassfed stuff. It is healthier I'm sure but I am still a believer in just being consistent and you will get there and you will be healthy on regular grain fed animals.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:45 PM   #10
M3Inline6

Quote:
i kind of agree. To me it's not worth the extra $50 a week on grassfed stuff. It is healthier I'm sure but I am still a believer in just being consistent and you will get there and you will be healthy on regular grain fed animals.
Agreed, and the "benefits" are about as marginal as using 87/89/91 gasoline (..i.e...in majority of the cases it's all mental).
Old 03-18-2013, 04:48 PM   #11
DylloS

Quote:
Agreed, and the "benefits" are about as marginal as using 87/89/91 gasoline (..i.e...in majority of the cases it's all mental).
You're probably right. I used to over think a lot of things but I try my best to just stick with what I think will work rather than worrying about what the next best method is.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:51 PM   #12
M3Inline6

Quote:
You're probably right. I used to over think a lot of things but I try my best to just stick with what I think will work rather than worrying about what the next best method is.

I call it.....the paralysis of analysis. It applies to most people.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:58 PM   #13
DylloS

Quote:
I call it.....the paralysis of analysis. It applies to most people.
especially in this world lol. If you read enough stuff you'll want to switch programs every day.

Lift heavy and often
Eat good
sleep
Old 03-18-2013, 06:15 PM   #14
BreakMyWallet

My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
Quote:
Haha. Seriously. I just had 2 processed sausage dogs and tuna from a can on white bread with mayo. Fug it. Work out harder
Old 03-18-2013, 08:03 PM   #15
dabears

Nope isn't paralysis by analysis, it's about living a long and healthy life free of disease and especially cancer. This **** matters, trust me. Maybe not from a muscle building / fat loss standpoint, but definitely from a health standpoint (which I find more important)

Would you eat the liver of an alcoholic? Gross example but it applies
Old 03-18-2013, 09:24 PM   #16
dabears

I should mention eating things like grain fed chicken isn't going to do any harm in moderation, but when it's a staple in your diet and chronic over the years it will absolutely have an effect.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:02 PM   #17
M3Inline6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
Nope isn't paralysis by analysis, it's about living a long and healthy life free of disease and especially cancer. This **** matters, trust me. Maybe not from a muscle building / fat loss standpoint, but definitely from a health standpoint (which I find more important)

Would you eat the liver of an alcoholic? Gross example but it applies
Okay!
Old 03-18-2013, 10:26 PM   #18
dabears

Haha I definitely get why you laugh, most think I'm crazy. Maybe I am lol but I really believe this stuff
Old 03-18-2013, 11:19 PM   #19
Darkside213

My Ride: 04 TSX daily, 01 M3
I believe in you dabears! You have a follower. But I like M3inline too cause he's huge (that's what she said)
Darkside213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:51 AM   #20
DylloS

Quote:
Okay!
You don't think there's any truth to it? I'm sure there is. I just know I can't afford all Grassfed meats