E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-19-2013, 03:35 PM   #41
rohde88

My Ride: S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
If eating the best quality food / ensuring I get the best nutrients makes me a hipster... Well damn i guess I am one.

And I wouldn't fit into skinny jeans, squatting heavy doesn't allow me the "luxury".
Skinny is a relative term.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:50 PM   #42
bimmerchop

My Ride: spins 4
Send a message via AIM to bimmerchop
Quote:
If eating the best quality food / ensuring I get the best nutrients makes me a hipster... Well damn i guess I am one.
I must be a hipster too. Grain-fed is just too mainstream!

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster." - Jeremy Clarkson

euro.techniks

EPL | TiAL | SDR | APR | Stratmosphere | 034 | ASP | SPEC | Fidanza | STaSIS | H-Sport | AWE | H&R | StopTech | BBS
bimmerchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:58 PM   #43
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!

My Ride: M4 and RRS (sold!)
This debate will never end with all parties agreeing, so we should just agree to disagree. It's like the argument regarding tap water vs spring water vs purified water vs distilled water vs.....

....ad nauseum! Too much chloride....too much this.....too much that.....too little this. By golly! Hell, where you reside (..and the origin of the product) are enough of a variable to throw off any of these "statistics".
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:00 PM   #44
rohde88

My Ride: S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
This debate will never end with all parties agreeing, so we should just agree to disagree. It's like the argument regarding tap water vs spring water vs purified water vs distilled water vs.....

....ad nauseum! Too much chloride....too much this.....too much that.....too little this. By golly! Hell, where you reside (..and the origin of the product) are enough of a variable to throw off any of these "statistics".
To be fair, dabears has reminded us a few times that he lives in Canadia, where beef is cheap and nearby.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:09 PM   #45
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!

My Ride: M4 and RRS (sold!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post
To be fair, dabears has reminded us a few times that he lives in Canadia, where beef is cheap and nearby.

That is probably why he's as adamant as he is. Darn Kanardians!
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:39 PM   #46
wasp9166
Banned User

My Ride: 04 330i jet black
Send a message via Yahoo to wasp9166
this is not new info, however, i just can't afford to spend $40 on dinner and lunch everyday
wasp9166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:53 PM   #47
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
I totally get if it's too expensive or impractical to eat this way. I'm not perfect either, although I do allocate a big amount of my budget to food and sacrifice elsewhere. And while I love giving nutrition advice, I always keep it in the realm of muscle gain / fat loss. I've never really told anyone to eat grass fed / organic food, I think that'd be snobby personally.

I just posted a list showcasing the hierarchy of quality proteins... Beef chicken and fish still reign supreme on top, regardless of feed / lifestyle lol.

But you really can't argue the substantial health benefits. To use an example in here, it is the difference between 91 octane and 87 octane nutritionally. I'm about 89 octane at the moment (a mix) and making improvements everyday to get to 91.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:08 PM   #48
dwass325

My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasp9166 View Post
this is not new info, however, i just can't afford to spend $40 on dinner and lunch everyday
You and I haven't always agreed, but this is a great summary of the topic.

The foods listed in the "winner" category are better than those in the "loser" category - end of story. To argue otherwise is plainly ignorant (as evidenced by the complete and total lack of any legitimate response by those opposed to the statements in the original post.)

There's absolutely a cost/benefit argument to be made, but that's really the only legitimate discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing
dwass325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:03 AM   #49
sweetbro858

My Ride: BMW
Old 03-20-2013, 05:47 AM   #50
wasp9166
Banned User

My Ride: 04 330i jet black
Send a message via Yahoo to wasp9166
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwass325 View Post
You and I haven't always agreed, but this is a great summary of the topic.

The foods listed in the "winner" category are better than those in the "loser" category - end of story. To argue otherwise is plainly ignorant (as evidenced by the complete and total lack of any legitimate response by those opposed to the statements in the original post.)

There's absolutely a cost/benefit argument to be made, but that's really the only legitimate discussion.
i agree ,
wasp9166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:10 AM   #51
217Bimmer
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
Quote:
Is grass fed beef / free range chicken that much more expensive for you solly? A regular grain fed ribeye is about $0.80/oz where a grass fed 28 day aged ribeye is $1/oz here... But we have some of the best beef in the world in my province (alberta, I'm very lucky).

Next time I buy a free range chicken breast ill take a pic for comparison... It's completely different looking / tasting than a grain fed.

I definitely get the $ approach to not doing this, but the health benefits don't lie.

im always going to local farmers markets etc and getting fresh produce, it's completely different than the store bought produce as well.
it's all marketing dude. you're living a lie. it's a mental placebo that spending more makes you feel like the foods you are buying taste different and are more nutritious, but you are throwing money down the drain.

Stanford University did a comprehensive study and they agree with me http://med.stanford.edu/ism/2012/september/organic.html

The Mayo clinic also agrees. No health benefit. Both say that exposure to chemicals may be reduced. So that's good, but does it really affect you? who knows.

price is the only difference between organic and non. taste wise, you can't tell the difference between good municipal water and bottled water, you can't tell the difference between free range and store eggs, you can't tell the difference between free range and supermarket chicken, and grass fed versus grain fed beef is a preference in taste, not quality. farm raised fish is just fine.

I've raised chickens for both meat and eggs and there is absolutely no difference in taste. the yolk color maybe darker depending on what they eat, but it doesn't translate into a different taste.

I do eat mostly venison instead of beef and that is one change i would recommend. good tasting and much leaner. grass fed beef to me has too heavy a taste.
217Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:21 AM   #52
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by 217Bimmer View Post
it's all marketing dude. you're living a lie. it's a mental placebo that spending more makes you feel like the foods you are buying taste different and are more nutritious, but you are throwing money down the drain.

Stanford University did a comprehensive study and they agree with me http://med.stanford.edu/ism/2012/september/organic.html

The Mayo clinic also agrees. No health benefit. Both say that exposure to chemicals may be reduced. So that's good, but does it really affect you? who knows.

price is the only difference between organic and non. taste wise, you can't tell the difference between good municipal water and bottled water, you can't tell the difference between free range and store eggs, you can't tell the difference between free range and supermarket chicken, and grass fed versus grain fed beef is a preference in taste, not quality. farm raised fish is just fine.

I've raised chickens for both meat and eggs and there is absolutely no difference in taste. the yolk color maybe darker depending on what they eat, but it doesn't translate into a different taste.

I do eat mostly venison instead of beef and that is one change i would recommend. good tasting and much leaner. grass fed beef to me has too heavy a taste.
For fruits and veggies I do agree it's a load of sh1t but for meats I think grassfed/free range are better for you. I'm not talking about taste, just health.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:48 AM   #53
SeanC

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakMyWallet View Post
Haha. Seriously. I just had 2 processed sausage dogs and tuna from a can on white bread with mayo. Fug it. Work out harder
Working out harder won't help you much in the long run if you keep consuming tranny fats the way you do (i.e. processed junk).

Sapphire Black MetallicNatural BrownSilver Cube e46 330i ZHP/6MT - Sold
HellrotDove Grey e36 ///M3 - RIP
Alpine WhiteTanSand High Gloss e46 330i SlickTop/5MT
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:50 AM   #54
dabears

If I'm in the supermarket, I don't buy organic... I agree with you it's a waste of money. The term is too loosely thrown around.

But I buy my meats and produce from local farmers, and the difference in taste is completely apparent. I think it's more to do with how fresh the product is compared to the foreign product in the grocery store. The produce is no more nutritious, it grew the same way as the store bought ones. However it doesn't come with the added chemicals, and that fact combined with the taste of something "fresh from grandmas garden" is enough for me.

As far as meats are concerned, I am much more adamant about grass fed / pastured / free range. Ill agree with you about the taste difference in eggs.. It's just not there. But a locally raised chicken / cow tastes better than the store bought variety. But while I buy the fresh produce for the taste / lack of chemicals (not nutrition) the nutrition of properly raised meat is much higher than the alternative.., period. I take omega 3 consumption very seriously, a proper intake prevents many debilitating diseases and also minor issues as well. When you eat the meat of a sick animal you cannot expect good results.

I don't just follow marketing garbage, I study the reasoning behind it and make my decision... This is something I believe in, but am also not obsessed with... I have no issue eating grain fed if that's all I can get at the time.

However I only eat wild fish, fish farms are one of the worst industrial and filthy food sources we have created IMO. In winter my fish consumption goes down which sucks.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:04 AM   #55
217Bimmer
E46Fanatic

I will agree with you that studies do show differences in omega 3 between more naturally raised products and non.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:35 AM   #56
dwass325

My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
Quote:
Originally Posted by 217Bimmer View Post
I will agree with you that studies do show differences in omega 3 between more naturally raised products and non.
Step 1: argue against naturally raised products and say there is no difference other than price and marketing.
Step 2: admit that there are quantifiable differences between the products, specifically in areas with known health benefits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing
dwass325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:36 AM   #57
sweetbro858

My Ride: BMW
Old 03-20-2013, 10:51 AM   #58
217Bimmer
E46Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwass325 View Post
Step 1: argue against naturally raised products and say there is no difference other than price and marketing.
Step 2: admit that there are quantifiable differences between the products, specifically in areas with known health benefits.
should have said may show increased omega 3. in milk. so one benefit. feel better about yourself?
Old 03-20-2013, 01:37 PM   #59
z00

My Ride: E46 M3 Manual
Many misinformed people about nutrition around here. Many studies (google it) show that organic eggs are better for you.

In summary, any products from animals I get them organic (meat, dairy, eggs, etc...). There is a difference in taste and nutrition. For fruits and veggies, there is a list from the FDA about which ones are treated with pesticides the highest like apples or strawberries, only select few I get organic. The rest won't matter.

Want me to prove it to you. Go buy 1 lb of regular chicken breast, 1 lb of organic chicken breast. Cook them both in separate pans, leave them in freg for 2 days. Come back, smell and taste. Non organic one will smell and taste like $hit due to hormones and all of other bad stuff.

For fish, go with wild.

I don't eat out much, maybe like 3-4 times max a month. I spend $600 on groceries a month. It's expensive to eat healthy. But that's the whole purpose of food industry, to make it cheap without telling you what you're really eating. Now you know why one in four Americans is obese, and some people work out very hard but still look like $hit.

Last edited by z00; 03-20-2013 at 01:38 PM.
z00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:52 PM   #60
dabears

Yup... Food industry doesn't care about health and wellness, they care about the bottom line. Why are things like soy, corn, wheat etc and their related byproducts / fillers so inexpensive... They are cheap materials that are even further subsidized. Why use expensive natural products when you can make great tasting product with grain/soy fillers and chemicals that people buy in droves? It's great business. And then just lobby the government to get the "health" label and business is beyond great. Margarine is an example... It is nothing short of destructive for the body, yet is considered "heart healthy", while raw natural butter is considered unhealthy.

The beauty of marketing, right 217bimmer? Except I'm going to say you are the one who is blind.

Eating healthy is expensive, period. And it takes a long time of personal learning to figure out who's advice is genuine and who's has an alternative agenda attached. Which really sucks whatever way you shake it.

Last edited by dabears; 03-20-2013 at 01:53 PM.
dabears is offline   Reply With Quote