E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-19-2013, 04:02 PM   #1
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Dems Drop AWB part of proposed gun legislation

http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/19/politi...html?hpt=hp_t3

Quote:
Washington (CNN) -- Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said Tuesday that a proposed ban on semi-automatic firearms modeled after military assault weapons has no chance of passing the Senate, but he wants to ensure a vote on it will take place.

The proposal to update a similar 1994 ban that expired a decade later was one of four measures passed by the Senate Judiciary Committee in response to the Connecticut school massacre in December.

Reid, D-Nevada, told reporters he won't keep the proposed ban in gun legislation going to the full Senate for consideration because including it would guarantee the measure would be blocked by a Republican filibuster.

The ban proposed by Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-California, and fiercely opposed by the National Rifle Association, Republicans and some Democrats would get fewer than 40 votes, Reid said, far below the threshold needed to defeat a filibuster or pass the Senate.

Instead, Feinstein could propose the ban as an amendment to the gun legislation on the Senate floor in order to get a vote on it, Reid said.

The other proposals passed by the Senate committee would expand background checks, toughen laws against gun trafficking and straw purchases, and design steps to improve school safety.
Discuss.
SamDoe1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:03 PM   #2
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Finally, a shred of sense. Now trash the rest of it.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:04 PM   #3
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
More info:

http://news.yahoo.com/assault-weapon...175804697.html
SamDoe1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:20 PM   #4
CollinsE90

My Ride: 330i
Told y'all so
Old 03-19-2013, 05:03 PM   #5
ddaniel1
CWO4 (Ret)

My Ride: 328i, M3, 525iT
Still gotta watch what the states do....
ddaniel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:04 PM   #6
MpoweredM
Wants to be Orange

My Ride: 1098S; RR Sport; CRZ
VA should remain pro gun. haven't had any issues at all here.

Santa Hats thanks to Scott!
Click for pics of my bikes
Click for pics of my old 335
Click for pics of my old S4 avant
Click for pics of my old M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 5 View Post
Constatine would of thrown his dildo at the kidnapper and proceed to cry in his closet after said kidnapper escaped.
MpoweredM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:22 PM   #7
Sentaruu

My Ride: Xterra
the fight is far from over. i wouldnt call this a victory. they will always want our freedoms, they just havent tricked us into giving them up just yet,
Old 03-19-2013, 06:04 PM   #8
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
It is far from over. They are just moving it to the Senate omnibus committee to try and sneak it in through the backdoor. They want to make it an amendment and probably drag it out. I wouldn't let my guard down on this at all.

The individual states are still going Full Retard. I am still waiting to hear what the NY supreme court rules when Cuomo can't provide constitutional basis for their legislation. If that gets reversed, I'm sure we'll see a massive slew of lawsuits popping up.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:22 PM   #9
brew

My Ride: Sequoia X5 MR2 G20
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/19/politi...html?hpt=hp_t3

Quote:
Washington (CNN) -- Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said Tuesday that a proposed ban on semi-automatic firearms modeled after military assault weapons has no chance of passing the Senate, but he wants to ensure a vote on it will take place.

The proposal to update a similar 1994 ban that expired a decade later was one of four measures passed by the Senate Judiciary Committee in response to the Connecticut school massacre in December.

Reid, D-Nevada, told reporters he won't keep the proposed ban in gun legislation going to the full Senate for consideration because including it would guarantee the measure would be blocked by a Republican filibuster.

The ban proposed by Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-California, and fiercely opposed by the National Rifle Association, Republicans and some Democrats would get fewer than 40 votes, Reid said, far below the threshold needed to defeat a filibuster or pass the Senate.

Instead, Feinstein could propose the ban as an amendment to the gun legislation on the Senate floor in order to get a vote on it, Reid said.

The other proposals passed by the Senate committee would expand background checks, toughen laws against gun trafficking and straw purchases, and design steps to improve school safety.
Discuss.
I believe that's how we wound up with the '94 ban.
brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:48 PM   #10
Sentaruu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post

The individual states are still going Full Retard. I am still waiting to hear what the NY supreme court rules when Cuomo can't provide constitutional basis for their legislation. If that gets reversed, I'm sure we'll see a massive slew of lawsuits popping up.
+1

i could only hope that if the law is reversed that the court's decision can be used to overturn the firearms restrictions brought on by the 94 awb regarding the tele-stocks, pinned muzzle devices and mag capacity

Last edited by Sentaruu; 03-19-2013 at 06:55 PM.
Sentaruu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:52 PM   #11
HiHoBrian
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 05 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentaruu View Post
+1

i could only hope that if the law is reversed that the court's decision can be used to overturn the firearms restrictions brought on by the 94 awb regarding the tele-stocks, pinned muzzle devices and mag capacity
Whoa! I'm all for that! It sounds a little optimistic and Anti gunners might riot if that happens.
Us......I mean THOSE gun owners are still in CT's crosshairs so there is still a good chance of bad laws locally.

sent from my ATARI sc1224
Old 03-19-2013, 08:59 PM   #12
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
Finally, a shred of sense. Now trash the rest of it.
It's too late. Fuktards in NY and MD have already pushed their cr@p legislation through regardless of common sense.

Oh wow, scary black rifles.... ruuuuuuuuuun.

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Wrapping an E46 in Vinyl : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=bronze
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:34 PM   #13
Reedo302

The problem is that this local legislation is violating McDonald vs Chicago and Hellier vs DC. I would suspect that as this stuff gets to SCOTUS, we'll see some movement. Unfortunately, we don't have a legal system that will establish an immediate injunction any legislation until it's been ruled on. Basically, we're going to be guilty and have to prove our innocence, versus the other way around.

Glock Armorer

Old 03-20-2013, 08:33 AM   #14
Sentaruu

i saw something about the president looking towards the UN to pass international gun laws? anyone have anymore on this?
Old 03-20-2013, 08:42 AM   #15
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
Quote:
i saw something about the president looking towards the UN to pass international gun laws? anyone have anymore on this?
This would be the most egregious of all... to say to the world that only the ruling party can have access to firearms... what kind of cr@p is that?

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Wrapping an E46 in Vinyl : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=bronze
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:16 PM   #16
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
It would be a convenient back door for liberal democrats to get what they want. We'd only have to give up a bit of sovereignty.

We've never done that before, but "if we can save just one life, it'll be worth it"
Old 03-20-2013, 04:56 PM   #17
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoBrian View Post
Whoa! I'm all for that! It sounds a little optimistic and Anti gunners might riot if that happens.
Us......I mean THOSE gun owners are still in CT's crosshairs so there is still a good chance of bad laws locally.

sent from my ATARI sc1224
And what are they gonna do? Shoot you with their good ideas?
Old 03-20-2013, 05:42 PM   #18
Reedo302

Quote:
I think either Eric Holder or someone from the Obama administration has contacted the SCOTUS to have them start to determine the legality of the US being required to adhere to a UN resolution domestically, or whether our Constitution superceded the UN.

To people with half a brain like you and me, this is a no-brainer and it's obvious that our Constitution should always trump everything, but there are a lot of stupid people and dirty hippies in this world.

Glock Armorer

Old 03-20-2013, 06:37 PM   #19
Sentaruu

i am sickened by the amount of stupid i am forced to confront on a daily basis. i have no faith that something like that wouldnt pass
Old 03-20-2013, 07:46 PM   #20
zander271

My Ride: 6spd ZHP/5sp XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
It's too late. Fuktards in NY and MD have already pushed their cr@p legislation through regardless of common sense.

Oh wow, scary black rifles.... ruuuuuuuuuun.
That small piece of plastic makes it dangerous!!
zander271 is offline   Reply With Quote