E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-19-2013, 11:38 PM   #41
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaput View Post
Apples to oranges. Our military do not harass citizens of our country on a daily basis. Military do not get angry and beat people out of their cars, and put bogus and in some cases false charges on people. The military are not anything like cops.

Cops are d!cks. Their sole purpose is to write reports, and pull people over. Acting way outside common sense and decency, and they get away with it. That cop should be fired, license removed, arrested and jailed for abuse of power, reckless endangerment, speeding, reckless driving and anything else that could get pinned on him.

I wish that driver would have rear ended him, pulled him out of the car, and beat him with a flashlight.
You cannot generalize members of law enforcement or the military as you are doing. Some military personnel kill and rape innocent people under foreign occupation. Some police are guilty of excessive force and abuse of power, sure. There's always an exception. Truth is you do not know the backstory behind the video nor do you know what took place before the video or what led to the video. What we do know is there's an angry meathead in an SUV trying to keep up with a police car all while trying to cause trouble. He's clearly moving much faster than other traffic. Why does he need to go so fast?

If that cop was within his own jurisdiction, do you think that SUV driver would have acted the same way? Or was this a case of a meathead knowing/thinking he technically couldn't get pulled over and trying to do a "OH YEA ILL SHOW U HOW BAD ASS I AM" type of move?

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:41 PM   #42
Zell

My Ride: Has no throttle
It's more dangerous to drive slowly in the left lane and create traffic than it is to let people drive at the general speed of traffic, whatever it may be. Cars will be more spread out that way. Creating congestion is dangerous. This isn't some windy, curvy, tight road. It's a big, straight highway.

The cop was well in the wrong. I hope he gets reprimanded. He was a K-9 unit as well - so he put that dog's life in danger as well...
Old 03-19-2013, 11:44 PM   #43
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
My point is you are defending a meathead in a top-heavy 5,000-lb. speeding missle trying to antagonize a member of law enforcement.

Lets say if it were true the cop was being a prick and "holding up traffic," why would anyone in their right mind tailgate the police officer and try to incite road rage? Just because the SUV driver knows the cop is out of his jurisdiction, that gives him a license to antagonize?

The person shooting the video had the choice to slow down but decided to pursue the cop in an aggressive manner.
Careful, you're on the verge of going full retard...you're about 99% of the way there.

Do you know what the speed limit on that road is? Did you calculate how fast the truck was going? Did you calculate based on the suspension lean how large the driver is? Did you watch the video fully? Did you not see the cop blatantly slice off the truck and then brake checking him?

Dumb cop would have been sorry if he did that to me. I would have slammed him, and had beautiful 1080P video showing that the cop caused the entire accident....and that cop would be responsible for my new house purchase as well as my new 2013 M3.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:48 PM   #44
Devious21

My Ride: is topless
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Careful, you're on the verge of going full retard...you're about 99% of the way there.

Do you know what the speed limit on that road is? Did you calculate how fast the truck was going? Did you calculate based on the suspension lean how large the driver is? Did you watch the video fully? Did you not see the cop blatantly slice off the truck and then brake checking him?

Dumb cop would have been sorry if he did that to me. I would have slammed him, and had beautiful 1080P video showing that the cop caused the entire accident....and that cop would be responsible for my new house purchase as well as my new 2013 M3.
Seriously, if he wanted to slow him down, he's got lights on the car and a PA system. He could have literally just told him to slow down.

Trying to cause an accident isn't protecting and serving. It's endangering lives.

Devious21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:53 PM   #45
Zell

See, now this cop, on the other hand, did exactly what he should have. Guy was driving slow in the left lane, creating traffic, which in turn, creates more risk.

Ignore the obnoxious commentary.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:58 PM   #46
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

My Ride: '99 Techno Violet M3
I reserve the right to drive as fast as I desire within a reasonably safe range. I cannot ****ing stand when some asshole blocks the flow of traffic. Any vehicles in the leftmost lane should always be passing those in the lanes to the right. If you block traffic, I will ride your ass until a gap opens up and shoot it. I'm not afraid to use my high beams either.

1999 Techno Violet Metallic M3
Bilstein | Kosei K1 Racing | Toyo Proxes R888 | BMW CCA #430881

tock172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:58 PM   #47
Devious21

Quote:
You cannot generalize members of law enforcement or the military as you are doing. Some military personnel kill and rape innocent people under foreign occupation. Some police are guilty of excessive force and abuse of power, sure. There's always an exception. Truth is you do not know the backstory behind the video nor do you know what took place before the video or what led to the video. What we do know is there's an angry meathead in an SUV trying to keep up with a police car all while trying to cause trouble. He's clearly moving much faster than other traffic. Why does he need to go so fast?

If that cop was within his own jurisdiction, do you think that SUV driver would have acted the same way? Or was this a case of a meathead knowing/thinking he technically couldn't get pulled over and trying to do a "OH YEA ILL SHOW U HOW BAD ASS I AM" type of move?
Bottom line: It doesn't matter.

There's nothing that could have happened prior to that video that justified the cop casually brake checking him like that.

Want him to slow down?
-flash the lights
-tell him on the PA
-Get in front of him and double TAP the brake lights
-Just report him to the proper jurisdiction

DON'T
-Brake check the ever living sh!t out of him
-Put his life at risk
-Put the other driver's on the road lives at risk

It's not like this was a high speed chase and the cop was doing the worlds shitt!est PIT maneuver. We have enough footage to know he wasn't running from the cop. He blatantly brake checked him, HARD. Doesn't matter what happened before the video started. Period.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:01 AM   #48
Devious21

Quote:
Originally Posted by tock172 View Post
I reserve the right to drive as fast as I desire within a reasonably safe range. I cannot ****ing stand when some asshole blocks the flow of traffic. Any vehicles in the leftmost lane should always be passing those in the lanes to the right. If you block traffic, I will ride your ass until a gap opens up and shoot it. I'm not afraid to use my high beams either.
Depending on your state, people cruising in the passing lane need to merge to the right for faster cars. Flashing your high beams signals the the driver that they NEED to move over. I'm pretty sure if you flash them and they don't, they are breaking the law.

People don't give a sh!t though and act like they're the only person on the road.

Whether or not they are an asshole, a d!ck or a pr!ck, you shouldn't ride them. It's dangerous and puts people at risk. At that point you are fighting a$$hole with more a$$hole.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:03 AM   #49
Born Again

Location: Tis quite a statement. Where do you live - where do we all live? in our minds? our souls? our bodies?
My Ride: She aint much 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
Wow this video had my blood boiling. Cop should loose his license and be forced to eat dog poop for 3 days.
Swriously
Did we not see the same video?

The guy was tail gaiting

best mod to date : OEM grocery bag holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
E46Fanatics - the Honda community of gun owners. Keep staying classy, I'm sure you all are going to be excellent examples of how to keep gun rights from being infringed. :facepalm:
Born Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:06 AM   #50
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Again View Post
Did we not see the same video?

The guy was tail gaiting
Hardly. The cop was holding up the flow of traffic like like some oblivious moron. You should never match speeds with the vehicle in the parallel lane.

Last edited by tock172; 03-20-2013 at 12:07 AM.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:07 AM   #51
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devious21 View Post
Whether or not they are an asshole, a d!ck or a pr!ck, you shouldn't ride them. It's dangerous and puts people at risk. At that point you are fighting a$$hole with more a$$hole.
I don't ride them to teach them a lesson, I ride them (within a reasonably acceptable range) so they get a clue and move over. If they don't I flash them. Sometimes it's a losing game because it takes 10 miles before a large enough gap opens. I truly hate that.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:12 AM   #52
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Tailgate someone and you're asking for trouble. Doing it to a police officer is double retard. It's a two lane road. Exercise patience and wait to go around when there's a safe opportunity. Don't be a meathead and flex your barb-wired tattoo'd biceps. The entirety of that video took place over 90 seconds, 30 seconds of which involved actual waiting behind two cars. No patience?

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:12 AM   #53
Act of God

My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Quote:
Cops put their lives on the line every single day. You act stupid and get dealt with. Simple as that.
Law enforcement is actually a pretty safe job. You have a better chance dying on your commute then a cop does being killed in action.

"You don’t burn books because they’re irrelevant. You burn books because you’re terrified that they’re not. You don’t muzzle people who have no audience. You muzzle people only when their voices are amplified far beyond your liking."
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:14 AM   #54
mkodama

Quote:
See, now this cop, on the other hand, did exactly what he should have. Guy was driving slow in the left lane, creating traffic, which in turn, creates more risk.

Ignore the obnoxious commentary.

That was so awesome. I love that cop and he redeems mr. brake check cop.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:15 AM   #55
Zell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
Law enforcement is actually a pretty safe job. You have a better chance dying on your commute then a cop does being killed in action.
Can you cite that stat? I find that kinda hard to believe.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:05 AM   #56
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Law enforcement is not even in the top 10 most dangerous jobs. I'll pull up the statistics for you...I just had this conversation with another group.
Just press the next button to see the 2011 top 10.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/44344096/page/2

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 03-20-2013 at 01:09 AM.
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:57 AM   #57
scott0482

My Ride: 2001 530i
Send a message via AIM to scott0482
The peace officer of the law was in the left lane driving at a speed that was lower than the normal traveling speed of the road, but at the same time slightly above the posted legal speed limit.

the work that is most applicable in the current situation is that he was in the left lane..

the main concern of the conversation is that he was purposely driving slow and/or antagonizing other motorists with his driving behaviors in the left lane..

short story long is.. will the court prosecute him as doing something wrong. because it was on video..
probably not.. that is his job.. he does it all day.. hopefully he knows his legal rights and exercises them...

as far as who was a jackass, and who was not..

i typed this already.. and i don't care.. so ........
Old 03-20-2013, 02:24 AM   #58
mkodama

Quote:
The logic in that statement about a cop having a less dangerous job doesn't even make sense. Unless a cop spends his nights at the police station, he has to drive to work just like anyone else, so there is no way being a cop could be less dangerous than driving to work.

Any job involving poor weather conditions, fire, electricity, chemicals, heights, machinery/vehicles, or weapons is going to have a high likelihood of serious injury dying. Police deal a lot with weapons and vehicles, and are often exposed to all of the others being first responders.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:24 AM   #59
tks

My Ride: slower than yours
Should the police officer acted better because he was a police officer?

Today, I flashed someone to let me pass and the lady immediately brake checked me, I had to swerve to avoid hitting her and as I passed her, she gave me the finger. As we reached the toll, we stared each other down and she pointed at me and what looked like a hissing motion a cat would do. Three miles later down the road, right in front of my exit awaits a storm trooper, and as I coast past him, put on my hazards and slow down to a stop. Comes up and tells me that there are reports of me speeding through traffic, brake checking, swerving, etc.. so I show him the dash camera where it clearly shows the woman brake checking me first, so he says "Have a good day." Actually, he really wasted 20 minutes of my time because I couldn't get the camera to playback the recording because it's configured in Chinese.

amnotsrs

Last edited by tks; 03-20-2013 at 02:25 AM.
tks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:30 AM   #60
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devious21 View Post
Depending on your state, people cruising in the passing lane need to merge to the right for faster cars. Flashing your high beams signals the the driver that they NEED to move over. I'm pretty sure if you flash them and they don't, they are breaking the law.
Even if that's true, it's likely that there's an exception built in that they're not obligated to do so for anyone that's violating traffic laws. So if they've set up residence in the passing lane BUT they're doing the speed limit, anyone that comes up behind them is speeding and that's their trump card for ignoring them.

I hate left lane campers. Sometimes people move left to pass someone and then shut their brains down and stay in the left lane. But some people just get on the freeway, immediately move as far left as they can and then sit there. I'd like to flay those people alive.

I've done a lot of charity bike rides in the last few years, and honestly, I see it with riders, too. At some of the bigger rides, we sometimes have a lane blocked off (esp near the start) and I'm annoyed by the number of bike riders that just brainlessly move all the way left in the lane and just sit there with no regards for faster riders coming up behind.

Yes
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote