E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-20-2013, 12:10 PM   #81
simsima325
'a certain moderator'

My Ride: Honda Civic
this devolved quickly.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:13 PM   #82
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

My Ride: '99 Techno Violet M3
Regardless of what everyone's idea of 'tail gating' is, there is no debate that the cop clearly feels he is above the law, as evidenced by his unbelievable brake check.

1999 Techno Violet Metallic M3
Bilstein | Kosei K1 Racing | Toyo Proxes R888 | BMW CCA #430881

Last edited by tock172; 03-20-2013 at 12:13 PM.
tock172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:15 PM   #83
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by tock172 View Post
Regardless of what everyone's idea of 'tail gating' is, there is no debate that the cop clearly feels he is above the law, as evidenced by his unbelievable brake check.
Judging by the video, it seems he was 2-3 car lengths behind, which is a perfectly acceptable following distance for the conditions (dry and sunny.) Furthermore, this is completely irrelevant to the brake check.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:17 PM   #84
Mango

My Ride: M54B30
In any case, it's clear the SUV driver was the instigator. Tailgating extremely aggressively, changing lanes. All could have been avoided if he simply had a bit of patience. Traffic doesn't always go your way. C'est la vie

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:17 PM   #85
Mango

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Judging by the video, it seems he was 2-3 car lengths behind, which is a perfectly acceptable following distance for the conditions (dry and sunny.) Furthermore, this is completely irrelevant to the brake check.
You forgot the part where the SUV proceeded to get right up to the Crown Vic's bumper

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 03-20-2013, 12:18 PM   #86
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

Quote:
I agree. I did not feel the driver of the truck was tailgating the cop. Even if he was tailgating him, the cop is in the wrong by obstructing the flow of traffic and matching speeds with the vehicle in the parallel lane - something you're never supposed to do.

And yes, I agree it is irrelevant, but people continue to make the assertion that the cop was justified in brake checking him because the driver was supposedly tailgating.

If you ask me, the entire thing was a result of the cop being oblivious and obstructing the flow of traffic. He's just a human like the rest of us, he is not above the law. **** him.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:24 PM   #87
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

What the cop does at 1:30 is leagues more dangerous than the supposed tailgating the truck driver was engaging in. He literally cuts him off with inches to spare to avoid looking like a fool.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:26 PM   #88
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
In any case, it's clear the SUV driver was the instigator. Tailgating extremely aggressively, changing lanes. All could have been avoided if he simply had a bit of patience. Traffic doesn't always go your way. C'est la vie
Wow, you can tell he is the instigator huh? You should work for the CIA and solve crime! He changed lanes because he was stuck behind a slow vehicle. He also didn't change aggressively. Furthermore, aggressive is what the cop did, cut him off completely and then slammed his brakes.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:27 PM   #89
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
You forgot the part where the SUV proceeded to get right up to the Crown Vic's bumper
So what? That gives the cop the right to potentially cause a deadly accident? Do us all a favor and slam your skull against your desk until something useful comes out.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:27 PM   #90
new//M3fan

My Ride: 77' 924 87' E30
Quote:
And we know he's a shitty cop from a 1 minute youtube video? For all you know, that barbwired tattoo'd bicep meathead could've been weaving in and out of traffic and that cop was trying to put a lid on it.

Someone said that cop was being a douche for sitting in the left lane not letting faster cars pass. Lets assume that's true. So what? Following too closely is dangerous. The driver in back had full control. He chose to follow closely instead of wait for an opening. Before that video started filming I bet that cop was probably responding to a radio call, texting, whatever when the meathead was tailgating him. The cop looks up and noticed this and goes WTF? So continues to drive at the same speed just to put a lid on the situation.

Truth is we don't know what happened before the video. So why would you side with a cussing road rage inciting civilian vs a member of law enforcement? You can just tell that SUV driver is a total gun-slinging meathead. Just listen to him go off in the car. I bet his face was all red and blood pressure high while the cop was just relaxing.

I like how you know exactly how these two people are from a short video...

There was no need for the cop to speed up cut him off slam on his brakes. If he really wanted to put a lid on it that was not necessary. Sort of along the lines of not continuing pursuit if the pursuit itself puts more people in danger. If anything if the camera man was doing something illegal he should have called 911 and have them deal with him. Instead of growing a big DICK!

Last edited by new//M3fan; 03-20-2013 at 12:30 PM.
new//M3fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:29 PM   #91
Mango

Quote:
Wow, you can tell he is the instigator huh? You should work for the CIA and solve crime! He changed lanes because he was stuck behind a slow vehicle. He also didn't change aggressively. Furthermore, aggressive is what the cop did, cut him off completely and then slammed his brakes.
The cop changed lanes and the SUV happened to be coming up behind the officer at excess speed (did you see his speedometer pegged?) That's never happened to you?

Not sure what's up with the disregard for authority. This isn't Kazakhstan. Be respectful.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 03-20-2013, 12:30 PM   #92
Mango

Quote:
Originally Posted by new//M3fan View Post

I like how you know exactly how these two people are from a short video....
You mean the video where the driver is swearing like a sailor? Maybe my speakers are deceiving me.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS

Last edited by Mango; 03-20-2013 at 12:30 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:33 PM   #93
new//M3fan

Quote:
You mean the video where the driver is swearing like a sailor? Maybe my speakers are deceiving me.
That's not your problem.

The cop was more out of line then the SUV driver. Even cops say to yield to faster traffic EVEN if they are doing 20 over. and have THEM (COPS) deal with them.

He had no jurisdiction the best he could and should have done is called local PD and have them pull him over. instead of GROWING A BIG DICK! that is the issue at hand, regardless of how big of a red neck HS drop out the camera guy may be.

If I am already doing 10 over in the left lane and someone comes up behind me doing 20 over, I move over and let them go. live and let live.

Because sometimes I like doing 20 or 50 over in the left lane well used to

Last edited by new//M3fan; 03-20-2013 at 12:36 PM.
new//M3fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:35 PM   #94
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
The cop changed lanes and the SUV happened to be coming up behind the officer at excess speed (did you see his speedometer pegged?) That's never happened to you?

Not sure what's up with the disregard for authority. This isn't Kazakhstan. Be respectful.
1) There is no authority.
2) Cop has no authority out of state.
3) What kind of truck is that? I thought so. My Wrangler has 100mph as the MAX, so if Im going 75, the speedo is "almost pegged."

Stop playing backyard detective. There is one thing obvious from the video...the cop attempted to cause a car accident...simple as that.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:35 PM   #95
Mango

Quote:
Originally Posted by new//M3fan View Post
That's not your problem.

The cop was more out of line then the SUV driver. Even cops say to yield to faster traffic EVEN if they are doing 20 over. and have THEM (COPS) deal with them.

He had no jurisdiction the best he could and should have done is called local PD and have them pull him over. instead of GROWING A BIG DICK! that is the issue at hand, regardless of how big of a red neck HS drop out the camera guy may be.
I never said the cop was a saint. All I am doing is stating it takes the decision of one person to avoid a bad situation. He could've pulled over to the shoulder. Take a 5min break, stretch. Check his email. Then proceed.

Beats high blood pressure and a near accident. no?

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 03-20-2013, 12:36 PM   #96
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
I never said the cop was a saint. All I am doing is stating it takes the decision of one person to avoid a bad situation. He could've pulled over to the shoulder. Take a 5min break, stretch. Check his email. Then proceed.

Who nearly caused the accident? So now you are going to allow cops to inconvenience you? Maybe a cop will ask you to pull over and wax his cruiser.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:36 PM   #97
Act of God

My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Quote:

Disregard for authority? Be respectful? The cop was a douche bag and out of his jurisdiction. Respect is earned, not given based on a job title.

"You don’t burn books because they’re irrelevant. You burn books because you’re terrified that they’re not. You don’t muzzle people who have no audience. You muzzle people only when their voices are amplified far beyond your liking."
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:37 PM   #98
new//M3fan

Quote:

Would you have done that? doubt it. I would have done the exact same thing the redneck did.

It's obvious the cop was asking for a DICKIN'
Old 03-20-2013, 12:39 PM   #99
new//M3fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
Disregard for authority? Be respectful? The cop was a douche bag and out of his jurisdiction. Respect is earned, not given based on a job title.
This. I hardly ever see a cop signal a lane change in my area. Wished I could pull them over, waste their time, and see what I can ticket them with, and search their police car. Just like they are legally allowed to.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:42 PM   #100
Mango

Quote:
1) There is no authority.
2) Cop has no authority out of state.
3) What kind of truck is that? I thought so. My Wrangler has 100mph as the MAX, so if Im going 75, the speedo is "almost pegged."

Stop playing backyard detective. There is one thing obvious from the video...the cop attempted to cause a car accident...simple as that.
Judging by your posts in this thread... I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that you did NOT vote for the current POTUS? Just wondering cause I don't get your hate for authority.

Also, I can find out what kind of truck that is, who is driving it, and what the vin# is if I wanted to. you'd be surprised as to the access i have. That's not important though. The point is good decisions are thought out and well executed. We've all been there before. SUV driver could have been patient and waited. that is all. Disagree with that? I'd say it's a pretty intelligent analysis. Isn't the best thing to do is to be patient?

OVER A MILLION VIEWS