E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-21-2013, 02:34 AM   #41
zander271

My Ride: 6spd ZHP/5sp XI
Wait a sec you guys are driving like this on a public road...? Sorry I just find this retarded.
zander271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:42 AM   #42
hizhinezz
Outlier

My Ride: 01 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcoleman View Post
This is a car that, uh, looks a lot like mine. Chase car is a good friend in his NA Miata with AST 4100s, 15x9s with 225 RS3s, yadda yadda. He's faster than I am.

I dont see how anyone can get their pants in a bunch over this, this is some nice stylish driving, looks very fun, cars are moving along but never reckless, stay in lane, not a densely populated area and nary a touch of hooliganism anywhere to be found. His car sounds fantastic but it is absolutely great to see old e30 looking so tidy throughout, a testament to its all time sleeper status. Very cool.

Last edited by hizhinezz; 03-21-2013 at 04:49 AM.
hizhinezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:19 AM   #43
pancakes

My Ride: BMW M, VW GTI, BIKE
Man that looks like fun. I'd love to take either my bike or my car through that.
pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:46 AM   #44
fayraree

My Ride: 04 M3 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by hizhinezz View Post
I dont see how anyone can get their pants in a bunch over this, this is some nice stylish driving, looks very fun, cars are moving along but never reckless, stay in lane, not a densely populated area and nary a touch of hooliganism anywhere to be found. His car sounds fantastic but it is absolutely great to see old e30 looking so tidy throughout, a testament to its all time sleeper status. Very cool.
agreed. I don't see any racing or recklessness, but i can see sharp corners where someone who doesn't know the course well could get into a bad accident if they don't (a) know their own limits and (b) respect the road and others. You can see how safely that billy dude stopped his car when regular cars/bikes/trucks were in front of him...and you could hear the squeal of the racing pads that were going to safely stop this car at high speeds.

Last edited by fayraree; 03-21-2013 at 06:47 AM.
fayraree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:18 AM   #45
Silver_Surfer

My Ride: 2006 Lotus Exige
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Disagree. The dragon will test not only your knowledge of your vehicle, but it will also test your limit, and your balls/limit ratio, something a track can't teach you. I am FAR more exuberant on an auto-x than I am on the dragon. There is one guy in our group that no one, regardless of car can touch. Sure, there are faster cars than an s2000 on the dragon, but no one has the balls like him to drive at 11/10ths on the road. This guy talked A LOT of sh!t, and even after he crashed he was talking smack...almost like "dude I almost had you" when he claimed he can keep up with Bill (the guy Im referring to in my post.)

Here is a video of him running the dragon. Dragon starts at 13:40

The exhaust sounds like sh!t because one of the muffler's internals blew out.

I believe I was there when the yellow car went off. I can't see the video at work but if this the "Bill" that I think you are talking about, then yes, that guy is an amazing driver. Killboy himself said at the 2011 Wake the Dragon that Bill was probably the fastest non local that he has seen/ridden with and he is probably in the top 5 drivers he's ridden with on the road..period.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:06 AM   #46
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Surfer View Post
I believe I was there when the yellow car went off. I can't see the video at work but if this the "Bill" that I think you are talking about, then yes, that guy is an amazing driver. Killboy himself said at the 2011 Wake the Dragon that Bill was probably the fastest non local that he has seen/ridden with and he is probably in the top 5 drivers he's ridden with on the road..period.
Yes, that's the one.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:08 AM   #47
lcoleman

My Ride: '79 Massey Ferguson
Quote:
To each their own.
Agreed. I would still love to make a run with that dude someday.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:28 AM   #48
Silver_Surfer

BTW, the G/f picked up a MINI Clubman S this winter, so we will be heading to the Dragon for Minis on the Dragon in May. It will be my first time in the Elise, can't wait! All the previous time have been in the S2K and M3.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:33 AM   #49
BimmerIsMyName

My Ride: 2007 VW Jetta 2.5
Quote:
BTW, the G/f picked up a MINI Clubman S this winter, so we will be heading to the Dragon for Minis on the Dragon in May. It will be my first time in the Elise, can't wait! All the previous time have been in the S2K and M3.
WHen in May are you going down? I saw a clubman on the Dragon. Looked like he was having a good time

2007 VW Jetta Wolfsburg 2.5L
Mods: Smoked headlights and tail lights, Clear Side Markers, Front grill chrome delete, BSH Cold Air Intake, MSW 17" Black Wheels, Eibach Pro-Cup Kit, Eibach Anti-Roll Kit (Front and Rear), Magnaflow Catback, 18" BBS CK
BimmerIsMyName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:40 AM   #50
Silver_Surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerIsMyName View Post
WHen in May are you going down? I saw a clubman on the Dragon. Looked like he was having a good time
May 2 -5th. MOTD is probably the biggest event held at the dragon. So far they have 800 participants showing up with 534 Minis. So it's going to be crowded. And the Mini group is so diverse, you have your hardcore drivers and your oddball owners. So getting clean traffic-less runs will have to wait until night time (my favorite time to run anyways).
Old 03-21-2013, 10:27 AM   #51
fayraree

My Ride: 04 M3 vert
When will there be an M3 trip? I'd be all for the drive down from DC.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:32 AM   #52
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander271 View Post
Wait a sec you guys are driving like this on a public road...? Sorry I just find this retarded.
The road is famous for it. Manufacturers even test their vehicles on it, and cops even allow it. It's one of the most famous "car roads" in the country.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:37 AM   #53
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Elise should be a monster if you have the testicles. The secret to speed on the dragon is driving a car with minimal torque. You don't want a vehicle that's easy to step out. There was a guy there last year with a ZR1 and he was having serious wheelspin issues. Because he had to sit in 1st and 2nd, he could barely touch the throttle before his wheels lit up. I bet that thing was quite a handful. The funny thing, I was a good deal faster around the dragon when my s2k was NA. Ever since I went with a turbo I don't push it as hard.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:38 AM   #54
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
May 2 -5th. MOTD is probably the biggest event held at the dragon. So far they have 800 participants showing up with 534 Minis. So it's going to be crowded. And the Mini group is so diverse, you have your hardcore drivers and your oddball owners. So getting clean traffic-less runs will have to wait until night time (my favorite time to run anyways).
Wow, thats a LOT....almost traffic.

BTW, IMHO, and only IMHO, hellbender>dragon. Its much faster, NEVER has any cops, and is generally completely empty.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:40 AM   #55
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by fayraree View Post
When will there be an M3 trip? I'd be all for the drive down from DC.
I don't think there is an "M3" run, but I do believe a number of BMW clubs go down there. To give you an idea how specific these runs get sometimes, last year, there was a mustang run....it was only yellow mustangs.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:23 PM   #56
Silver_Surfer

Quote:
Wow, thats a LOT....almost traffic.

BTW, IMHO, and only IMHO, hellbender>dragon. Its much faster, NEVER has any cops, and is generally completely empty.
I'm a little nervous with the Elise, only because of the Rear mid-engine don't lift or you will die thing. Other than that it will great. The dragon is actually alot easier to drive than hellbender, As you said, the dragon is slower and most of its corners are banked in favor of the driver. Whereas hellbender is fast flat corners and the road surface tends to be a little less groomed.

It's crazy how much the road has changed since my first visit in April 04 or 05 (can't remember). Back then the NC side of the dragon was crappy, gravel broken asphalt ect.. there were no PAVED pull offs, everything was dirt/gravel with a 3in + drop. Now the place is groomed like a race track, there is now 101 PAVED pull offs. And it never gets old! I've traveled alot for work, but it is still my favorite place in the world.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:26 PM   #57
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
I'm a little nervous with the Elise, only because of the Rear mid-engine don't lift or you will die thing. Other than that it will great. The dragon is actually alot easier to drive than hellbender, As you said, the dragon is slower and most of its corners are banked in favor of the driver. Whereas hellbender is fast flat corners and the road surface tends to be a little less groomed.

It's crazy how much the road has changed since my first visit in April 04 or 05 (can't remember). Back then the NC side of the dragon was crappy, gravel broken asphalt ect.. there were no PAVED pull offs, everything was dirt/gravel with a 3in + drop. Now the place is groomed like a race track, there is now 101 PAVED pull offs. And it never gets old! I've traveled alot for work, but it is still my favorite place in the world.
You can thank Deal's Gap for that. They are pretty active in keeping that road ship shape since the economy thrives or dies based on it. Hellbender isn't AS good as the dragon, I agree. I also agree with the flat corners and unpredictable terrain. After a big storm for instance, the deals gap crew will go out and make sure there are no branches, twigs, etc on the road. Hellbender is as the crow flies...sometimes you'll come around a turn, and you'll see a huge branch just laying there on the road. I always do one pass in each direction at normal speed to make sure the coast is clear and safe. I love Hellbender because there is almost never any traffic on it. No one uses that road, so I generally get a clear run from start to finish. Cherohala skyway is a blast as well.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:59 PM   #58
lcoleman

My Ride: '79 Massey Ferguson
Hellbender is a blast. The surface transitions are pretty scary, though.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:06 PM   #59
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.5
Wait, there are paved runoff areas now? It's been a long time since I was up there, easily 7-8 years.

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?

Buy my W126!

Last edited by cowmoo32; 03-21-2013 at 03:06 PM.
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:08 PM   #60
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
Wait, there are paved runoff areas now? It's been a long time since I was up there, easily 7-8 years.
Yup. All the run offs are now paved. I remember years ago a motorcycle ran me off the road before the runoffs were paved. My s2000 didn't like it. I caught up to the biker later on at the Gap and gave him a piece of my mind.