E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 2.71 average. Display Modes
Old 03-19-2013, 10:54 PM   #21
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsounddesign View Post
I changed my thermostat and while I did that I checked my water pump and ET. They were good. Any other areas?
ET is always good until it fails. The failure is sudden and will almost immediately be realized by a low coolant light that is the result of a hairline crack down the side of the tank. From there you have an hour before the tank empties itself depending on conditions. If the tank is original, the tank is a ticking time bomb. Belts and pulleys are other common failure areas. See the first link in my sig. GL!!

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:03 PM   #22
lcoleman

My Ride: '79 Massey Ferguson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
Don't like it, please kindly leave. This is not for you to complain.
Thread-crapping is a right, not a privilege.

I am srsly jealous of you and your almost completely stock e46. srsly.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:07 PM   #23
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcoleman View Post
Thread-crapping is a right, not a privilege.

I am srsly jealous of you and your almost completely stock e46. srsly.
No tolerance policy. Please stop causing trouble. I have to put you on block.

Please keep on topic. It astonishes me when someone tries to help the general public you have these people in here trying to talk down towards you

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 03-19-2013, 11:14 PM   #24
lcoleman

My Ride: '79 Massey Ferguson
I happen to agree with Zell that blasting your message across the forums bi-weekly is unnecessary and pedantic. This is regardless of the fact that I don't agree with your rigorous, wasteful, and expensive PM regimen. Besides, I wasn't talking down to you any more than you were to me. Thicker skin, bro.

That said, the warmer weather will definitely be killing lots of cooling system parts and batteries in the next two months. After that it's the influx of "why doesn't my a/c work?" threads.

The best thing I can say here is if you see the needle move past 12 o'clock, pull over immediately. You will not need a new engine, contrary to what the first post of this thread says.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:34 PM   #25
o///mroalansari

My Ride: 330ci e46
2006 330ci with 93000km. Living in hot Australia. First cooling system. Must i invest in a new one? Where? And how much?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Bimmer App
o///mroalansari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:36 PM   #26
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
Quote:
Seriously stop with the jealous comments.
It's not jealousy.

It's annoying. Like oil threads.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:42 PM   #27
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
It's not jealousy.

It's annoying. Like oil threads.
You don't have to enter this thread, you know.

This thread is to start a discussion among new members as there have been many lately, especially as of today.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 03-19-2013, 11:52 PM   #28
Super Sheep

My Ride: 2005 E46 325 CI
While mango is rigorous (and religious) in his PM, what he suggests is spot on and certainly is no BS.. ****..While even a brand new ET may crack and **** you in the ass, it is highly unlikely. But chances are, depending on the condition of your car and your driving habits and location, cooling issues, if you don't do PM, then there is a high statistical probability something may fail in the various systems that consists of you E46 the more mileage you have and as time goes on. Consider how plastic and rubber (eg. weatherstripping) in our E46 literally turns to dust over time, you wouldn't want your 90% plastic cooling systems to fail like that. Hell you can run with a leaky VANOS, broken PCV hoses, blown LCAB but you can't run without a motor. The proper functioning of your cooling system directly correlates to the health of your motor. No Motor = 3500+ lb paper weight

A wise man once said, "you never are afraid of what is certain to happen, but you are of what might"

I recently (less than a month ago) replaced my thermostat, water pump, expansion tank, all the pulleys (idle, deflector, ac) and new belts. I didn't do the radiator nor the hoses (cause I forgot to order them doooh!!) I am just shy of 100k and expect for the belts, everything else was original. I live in Vegas, which for those living under a rock... Vegas is in a friggen desert. Summer temp runs consistently in the 110F+. I wouldn't want to run the risk of getting stuck in the side of the road literally cooking my nuts off waiting for a tow truck, nor risk having to either scrap the car or get a new motor after I recently put $1200+ in suspension, $600 in brakes, $1000 in other various new parts and $300 in tires. So to me $350 is the price i pay to insure I do not squander the other $3000+ in parts I already spent.. and a peace of mind that future money I burn on my E46 has some longevity.

Of course your situation may vary, and circumstance is different for everyone. So its everyone's own responsibility to figure out what is right and feasible for them. If you don't have the brain power to figure out the yearly weather or your car's overall condition or add up the amount of money you "invested"(aka burned) in your car and if it is worth insuring it against possible catastrophic failure.... WTH are you doing on a forum that focus on a subject (DIY) that requires basic comprehension, some mechanical and minimal intelligence?
Super Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:27 AM   #29
HallisterJ1

My Ride: 2001 325i, 2003 M3
I listened to Mango once, and I replaced my cooling system because I was leaking pretty badly. Everything that was listed in his "sig" was replaced, but I ended up still leaking.

Pissed off and annoyed that I wasted all that money on a problem still not fixed, I took it to a Master Mechanic and he laughed and said that my coolant hose from the expansion tank (PN: 11531436410) was leaking, more specifically "mushrooming". It was a $25.00 part to replace, and it fixed my leaking issue complete.

This list is not "whole".

My two cents on the subject, when new members post in here regarding cooling system problems next time, Mango don't just copy and paste "See sig, do all" because you really don't know.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:33 AM   #30
dznuts007

My Ride: 2001 325i Sedan
You seem pretty pissed off, but it was probably worth it in the long haul rather than having your expansion tank cracking while you're on the freeway on your way to Vegas (that's what happened to me) I have a 2001 325i also and the ET was probably waaaaay overdue for a replacement but of course I wasn't really thinking of that at all.

I can see what alot of you are saying not to completely change every single part out like suggested, but at least take a look at your cooling system and see if any parts look like they need replacement. If you don't like the preventative approach with the cooling system, then don't do it. If you want to prevent being stranded on the side of the road then do something at least, if not all. 2001 was 12 years ago. It's probably time to replace some parts...

Last edited by dznuts007; 03-20-2013 at 12:34 AM.
dznuts007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:39 AM   #31
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

If your E46 is 200k miles and salavaged/supposed to be salvaged, you are bound to have problems with certain cooling pipes/lines behind the firewall or that attach to the block. Those parts are beyond the intent of my thread which is to appeal to as many people as possible, and not a small 1% section. Don't ruin the thread with your hostility.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 03-20-2013, 12:45 AM   #32
HallisterJ1

Quote:
If your E46 is 200k miles and salavaged/supposed to be salvaged, you are bound to have problems with certain cooling pipes/lines behind the firewall or that attach to the block. Those parts are beyond the intent of my thread which is to appeal to as many people as possible, and not a small 1% section. Don't ruin the thread with your hostility.
There was no hostility at all, it was a statement of how at the time I was pissed off but when at any point was I being hostile towards you? Is a simple piece of advice "hostile" nowadays?

Is it really such a big deal to just stop saying "see sig, do all", because even you an authored stickied thread-maker should realize not every single person has the same problem and or E46.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:49 AM   #33
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Zero tolerance. From now on, you are on ignore for your racist comments in another thread. Good luck.

Please, people. Stay on topic.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS

Last edited by Mango; 03-20-2013 at 12:49 AM.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:54 AM   #34
HallisterJ1

Quote:
Zero tolerance. From now on, you are on ignore for your racist comments in another thread. Good luck.

Please, people. Stay on topic.
Calling you "asian" or calling anyone by there race is not racist and if it is I'd like to state I've been called "jewish" by fellow forum members. I'm proud of it, and saw no "racism" in it. It's people like you that will never let the racism debate die.

You were wrong in the tailgating thread, and now you're trying to win every thread. Just stop.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:37 AM   #35
Megalocnus

My Ride: 05 330i ZHP/MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by HallisterJ1 View Post
I listened to Mango once, and I replaced my cooling system because I was leaking pretty badly. Everything that was listed in his "sig" was replaced, but I ended up still leaking.

Pissed off and annoyed that I wasted all that money on a problem still not fixed, I took it to a Master Mechanic and he laughed and said that my coolant hose from the expansion tank (PN: 11531436410) was leaking, more specifically "mushrooming". It was a $25.00 part to replace, and it fixed my leaking issue complete.

This list is not "whole".

My two cents on the subject, when new members post in here regarding cooling system problems next time, Mango don't just copy and paste "See sig, do all" because you really don't know.
Yeah, I had a leak at this hose as well.
But I am afraid you are missing an important point here. The cooling system refresh advocated by Mango and others before him here is about preventive maintenance, not about fixing your existing cooling system problems.

If you have a leak, find the source first, then proceed to replace the failing component(s). While you are doing this, you may replace other cooling system parts preventively.
In most cases replacing random parts in the hopes of fixing an existing issue is not a good idea. This is worth doing for some hard to diagnose, cheap and easy to fix problems. But not in your case for sure.
The leak from that water outlet hose is fairly obvious, one must try hard not to see it, especially when replacing the expansion tank that hose is connected to.

So, your mechanic was right to laugh at you. You are wrong to blame other people for not doing your homework before ordering the parts.
Megalocnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:41 AM   #36
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MercForHire View Post
it's very simple. replace everything. $ is plenty in America
Yep. Any questions?
Old 03-20-2013, 02:01 AM   #37
taibinhvuong

My Ride: E46 99' 328i
What? Mango is Asian? I didn't know that, his bad attitude doesn't fit "Asianian" at all.
taibinhvuong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:45 AM   #38
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by taibinhvuong View Post
What? Mango is Asian? I didn't know that, his bad attitude doesn't fit "Asianian" at all.
Yeah but he's into cars. Have you ever been to a car meet? It seems like 80% of enthusiasts are Asians. Even though I don't picture mango as an Asian, I assume he is. I'll find out one day guys. I'll have a hidden camera and post pics

Last edited by peytonracer4; 03-20-2013 at 04:46 AM.
peytonracer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:44 AM   #39
jdny516

My Ride: E39 ///M5
Okay, I actually have a real question. Thats not about race.

I've already completed a cooling system overhaul around 70k-75k miles, (Car currently sits at 103xxx). I dont remember what the intervals were pertaining to preventive maintenance schedule. Is it recommended the cooling system be overhauled every 50k?
National Capital Chapter #465420
2000 ///M5 ///M Registry
Oxford Green Metallic II (430) | Caramel Nappa Leather (M3CR) | Brushed Aluminum Interior |
Tuning Tech Frank Smith Tune
Tuning Tech IAT Kit
SuperSprint X-Pipe
Eisenmann Race 4x83mm
DINAN Front Strut Brace
Storm Motorwerks Products

My Progress Thread

2000 323Ci | TiAg | Gray | 5MT | SOLD

Last edited by jdny516; 03-20-2013 at 06:45 AM.
jdny516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:17 AM   #40
wildirish317

My Ride: 2004 325Ci vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdny516 View Post
Okay, I actually have a real question. Thats not about race.

I've already completed a cooling system overhaul around 70k-75k miles, (Car currently sits at 103xxx). I dont remember what the intervals were pertaining to preventive maintenance schedule. Is it recommended the cooling system be overhauled every 50k?
Since you know about the E46 cooling system life cycle, it's now a matter of risk management. When you become worried about the cooling system every time you start the car, it's time to replace it.

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”
wildirish317 is offline   Reply With Quote