E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 2.71 average. Display Modes
Old 03-20-2013, 07:18 AM   #41
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Someone needs to get to the 0/10 0/40(etc) oil thread and make sure I've done no harm!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:22 AM   #42
Adionik

My Ride: Bavarian Panzer
This forum has some of the most entertaining fights i've seen in a while!

My parts just got here. BMW uses some of the worst materials i've ever seen so I certainly don't trust the cooling system to go another 50-75k without issues.
Adionik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:28 AM   #43
jdny516

My Ride: E39 ///M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildirish317 View Post
Since you know about the E46 cooling system life cycle, it's now a matter of risk management. When you become worried about the cooling system every time you start the car, it's time to replace it.
Really only when I "worry" about it? I could've sworn I saw a scheduling. I mean i've been checking it every 6months-year to make sure its doing well. I guess I'll start my own preventive maintenance schedule for it
National Capital Chapter #465420
2000 ///M5 ///M Registry
Oxford Green Metallic II (430) | Caramel Nappa Leather (M3CR) | Brushed Aluminum Interior |
Tuning Tech Frank Smith Tune
Tuning Tech IAT Kit
SuperSprint X-Pipe
Eisenmann Race 4x83mm
DINAN Front Strut Brace
Storm Motorwerks Products

My Progress Thread

2000 323Ci | TiAg | Gray | 5MT | SOLD
jdny516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:34 AM   #44
wildirish317

My Ride: 2004 325Ci vert
There's much debate on the topic. Some say 30,000 miles, other say 60,000 miles. I would lean more towards 60,000 miles, but remember, that's my opinion. There's no "right" answer to this. It's like the oil change interval.

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”
wildirish317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:38 AM   #45
miweber929

My Ride: 02 330xi
You're giving him **** for making another thread about the cooling system yet in this one 4 people are asking question that have been addressed hundreds of times in the other threads?

Agree with Mango or not, but stop your needless bickering back and forth like a bunch if 14 year old girls making fun of Suzy small boobs in the locker room and accept this thread (and Mangos advise) for what it is: a reminder to watch for potential issues and fix them BEFORE they cause permanent damage.

Jeez, this forum is filled with some of the most immature babies crying look at me I've ever seen!!!

Last edited by miweber929; 03-20-2013 at 07:39 AM.
miweber929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:39 AM   #46
wildirish317

My Ride: 2004 325Ci vert
This is from Mike Miller, of Bimmer Magazine for the M54 engine:

Every 60,000 miles: water pump, thermostat, plastic thermostat housing if so equipped
(or replace it once with the aftermarket aluminum thermostat housing)

Every 90,000 miles: radiator, expansion tank, fan and fan clutch if so equipped (for cars
you're going to keep forever, consider using the all-aluminum radiator and expansion
tank from www.zionsvilleautosport.com and you won't have to do it again at 180,000)

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”
wildirish317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:47 AM   #47
jdny516

My Ride: E39 ///M5
Quote:
This is from Mike Miller, of Bimmer Magazine for the M54 engine:

Every 60,000 miles: water pump, thermostat, plastic thermostat housing if so equipped
(or replace it once with the aftermarket aluminum thermostat housing)

Every 90,000 miles: radiator, expansion tank, fan and fan clutch if so equipped (for cars
you're going to keep forever, consider using the all-aluminum radiator and expansion
tank from www.zionsvilleautosport.com and you won't have to do it again at 180,000)
Thanks for the information, I might be still on my original radiator. May need replacement soon
National Capital Chapter #465420
2000 ///M5 ///M Registry
Oxford Green Metallic II (430) | Caramel Nappa Leather (M3CR) | Brushed Aluminum Interior |
Tuning Tech Frank Smith Tune
Tuning Tech IAT Kit
SuperSprint X-Pipe
Eisenmann Race 4x83mm
DINAN Front Strut Brace
Storm Motorwerks Products

My Progress Thread

2000 323Ci | TiAg | Gray | 5MT | SOLD

Last edited by jdny516; 03-20-2013 at 07:48 AM.
jdny516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:11 AM   #48
spacemaster

My Ride: E46 328i
lucky that I done my coolant refresh 6 months ago... not looking at it for another while
spacemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:04 AM   #49
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
damn some of you guys need to chill out. if you are offended by the thread just stay out or be prepared for a pissing match.
WDE46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:06 AM   #50
terzinator

My Ride: 325iT 5-sp RWD Sport
Quote:
consider using the all-aluminum radiator and expansion
that puppy is $1000!

E46FANATICS Touring Forum!

Last edited by terzinator; Today at 11:56 PM. REASON: Fear.
terzinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:14 AM   #51
GDubois

My Ride: is slow
When I was driving with my dad in the E39, the ET blew up. This was at about 50K. There was plenty of time to drop it into neutral and shut off the engine. Why is everybody overdramatizing this? Your engine will not be damaged instantaneously.

Not trying to cause trouble, just speaking from a first hand account.

Congratulations.
GDubois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:24 AM   #52
WDE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDubois View Post
When I was driving with my dad in the E39, the ET blew up. This was at about 50K. There was plenty of time to drop it into neutral and shut off the engine. Why is everybody overdramatizing this? Your engine will not be damaged instantaneously.

No you are right. You have plenty of time if you notice your needle is out of the proper range. Unfortunately, a lot of people don't seem to notice the needle until it is in the red zone with the light on. Then you wonder how long it's been there. Apparently it doesn't take long to blow out the head gasket once the needle reaches the red zone (that's what I've heard).

To solve that problem, you can buy the Coolant Snitch. Is it worth the $90? I don't know, but it could be.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:38 AM   #53
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDubois View Post

As WDE said, not everyone is that lucky. That's evident by all the threads we get on warped headgaskets. Even if you did know and had the "perfect" plan of attack in case of a failure, it's nice to even not have that failure in the first place. That will cost you extra time and money you'll never get back.

As far as the color of my skin, who cares? Why anyone would even bring that up blows my mind. If you're genuinely interested, you'll know when you meet me. If you want to know just to have an angle of attack or exploitation of some sort to suit your anti-mango agenda, forget about it. It's silly

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:51 AM   #54
taibinhvuong

My Ride: E46 99' 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by HallisterJ1 View Post
Calling you "asian" or calling anyone by there race is not racist and if it is I'd like to state I've been called "jewish" by fellow forum members. I'm proud of it, and saw no "racism" in it. It's people like you that will never let the racism debate die.

You were wrong in the tailgating thread, and now you're trying to win every thread. Just stop.
Calling someone "Asian" if not racist, but if it followed by some racist statements then it is racist, I didn't read Hallisters post so I can't really comment on it but I assume he's not for good fate.

Anyway, by law racist or race discrimination is against the law.
taibinhvuong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:56 AM   #55
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by taibinhvuong View Post
Calling someone "Asian" if not racist, but if it followed by some racist statements then it is racist, I didn't read Hallisters post so I can't really comment on it but I assume he's not for good fate.

He has been trolling me in this and other threads because I disagreed with him in another thread a couple weeks back. Calling someone Asian in and of itself is not racist, but in this case the intent is when you're trying to use it as an attack because your argument isn't going your way. That's clearly evident in that it was brought up in a totally car-related (cooling) thread.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS

Last edited by Mango; 03-20-2013 at 09:56 AM.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:23 AM   #56
WDE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by taibinhvuong View Post

Being racist is not illegal. Practicing discrimination when it comes to businesses and the like is illegal though. That's about it. It's legal to go around yelling about how much you hate *insert minority racial slur*, but you might get your ass beat.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:35 AM   #57
Adionik

My Ride: Bavarian Panzer
lol @ being illegal to be racist
Adionik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:46 AM   #58
pic3

My Ride: 05 330i zhp
Quote:
Originally Posted by HallisterJ1 View Post
I listened to Mango once, and I replaced my cooling system because I was leaking pretty badly. Everything that was listed in his "sig" was replaced, but I ended up still leaking.

Pissed off and annoyed that I wasted all that money on a problem still not fixed, I took it to a Master Mechanic and he laughed and said that my coolant hose from the expansion tank (PN: 11531436410) was leaking, more specifically "mushrooming". It was a $25.00 part to replace, and it fixed my leaking issue complete.

This list is not "whole".

My two cents on the subject, when new members post in here regarding cooling system problems next time, Mangno don't just copy and paste "See sig, do all" because you really don't know.
You took your car to a "Master Mechanic" because you couldn't find a bad hose!!
Old 03-20-2013, 10:50 AM   #59
InlandEmpire325Guy

My Ride: 325 '01
Quote:
Originally Posted by pic3 View Post
you took your car to a "master mechanic" because you couldn't find a bad hose!!
+1

-Tony
InlandEmpire325Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:59 AM   #60
raptorman5174

My Ride: 330i ZHP
you guys are all to funny

18 VMR CSL's
Koni FSD's
Eibach Sport Spring's
UUC Power Pullies
Sprint Booster