E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 23 votes, 2.74 average. Display Modes
Old 03-20-2013, 12:08 PM   #61
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorman5174 View Post
you guys are all to funny
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:34 PM   #62
FenderGuy05
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i
Wow, it's been a while since I've seen an argument like this. Brings back memories, haha.

I replaced just about everything in Mango's thread about 9 months ago. The piece of mind is what made me decide to take care of the issue before something happened. If I had followed the same logic and had more time I would have been able to avoid my fuel pump failing away from home, and my mechanical fan exploding causing damage to my hood.

I say do what you want with your own car, but in my case I need my car daily and therefore believe PM is a better decision. If I had a second car, I may not feel as strongly but I've been left stranded twice in my e46 and would like to prevent this in the future.

Just my .02
Old 03-20-2013, 12:37 PM   #63
Adionik

My Ride: Bavarian Panzer
Does anyone know roughly how long it takes to complete a cooling system overhaul?
Adionik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:42 PM   #64
lcoleman

My Ride: '79 Massey Ferguson
If you have to ask, budget at least an entire day if not a weekend. Varies wildly depending on experience level, tools, if you break anything, and so on.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:44 PM   #65
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adionik View Post
Does anyone know roughly how long it takes to complete a cooling system overhaul?
I did this for a fanatic last weekend. I was there from 9AM to 2PM. That includes the test drive.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:49 PM   #66
Adionik

My Ride: Bavarian Panzer
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcoleman View Post
If you have to ask, budget at least an entire day if not a weekend. Varies wildly depending on experience level, tools, if you break anything, and so on.
I was budgeting an entire day but I just wanted a rough estimate. I've heard 5 hours. The luxury of 2 cars means it almost never has to be completed!
Adionik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:51 PM   #67
FenderGuy05
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adionik View Post
It was my first DIY job on my engine(or any engine), I did cooling system overhaul (minus the radiator), spark plugs, and oil change in roughly 7-8 hours.

Always plan extra time to be safe as stated.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:01 PM   #68
ryannel2003

My Ride: '04 Cadillac Deville
Again going to back Mango on this one. I see daily threads on cooling failures of some kind and going ahead and getting this out of the way can keep your E46 on the road for many years.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:05 PM   #69
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Where I give Real World advice and don't just criticize others. People here need to RESPECT other's opinions!
My Ride: 03 325iT SportWagon
OMG, I did not replace my engine. I guess it will eventually leave me stranded. NOT!

Don't believe the doomsday kool aid.

You can be sensible and replace parts systematically and on your budget.

Just replace everything on fruit threads are too extreme.

Posters like star fruit don't tell the whole picture.

If you overheat, it does not mean a new engine only. Many have just replaced head gasket or even skimmed head for an inexpensive fix or god forbid, did not harm the engine only.

Fanatics need to make their own decisions. One sided posts don't do members here good.

Engine swap, HG, tranny swap, GM & ZF tranny rebuilds, shocks, struts, brakes, WPs, Thermostats, belts, tensioners, fuel pumps, radiators, window regs, hoses, PS pump, Spark Plugs, VCGs, coils, fuel filters, CVVs, VANOS seals, rack, LCABs, Exp. Tanks, OFHGs, RCABs, OP, boots, ABS, GUIDOs, starter, A/C, DISA, Diff, SAP

Ultra Premium Grand 10 Star+ Super Duper BMW-pedic Sport Plus +++
BMWCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:06 PM   #70
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Mango, Grand Superpatriot is kind of redundant. I think the name could use some honing.

"All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest."
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:16 PM   #71
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grande D View Post
Mango, Grand Superpatriot is kind of redundant. I think the name could use some honing.
That's the point. It's supposed to be flashy. grand kodiak is redundant too but you don't see Alex complaining. It's like an extra extra tough kick ass kodiak bear.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 03-20-2013, 01:26 PM   #72
///MPR77

My Ride: 02 ///M3 Tri-Ped
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCaptain View Post
OMG, I did not replace my engine. I guess it will eventually leave me stranded. NOT!

Don't believe the doomsday kool aid.

You can be sensible and replace parts systematically and on your budget.

Just replace everything on fruit threads are too extreme.

Posters like star fruit don't tell the whole picture.

If you overheat, it does not mean a new engine only. Many have just replaced head gasket or even skimmed head for an inexpensive fix or god forbid, did not harm the engine only.

Fanatics need to make their own decisions. One sided posts don't do members here good.
I have 300k miles and Mango, my friend, has never told me to replace my entire engine.

Perception is a very funny thing. It seems to me, that people who take this type of advice, as a doomsday threat, or brainwashing (kool-aid) are fearful people...don't be scared dude, just handle your preventative maintenance.

To address your comment on over- heating; I agree with you 100% , but can I point out that you indirectly supported this thread by essentially saying: (paraphrasing)
"That overheating may not require a new engine, you may only have to replace a head gasket, or skim the head."
Have you ever done a head gasket?

If so, then why would you ever want to risk having to do that job, only on a hunch that it might be salvageable?

Bewahren Sie ihre ultimative fahrmaschine
///MPR77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:32 PM   #73
FrodoTBaggin

My Ride: 2004 325i
The poors don't like Mango's advice.
FrodoTBaggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:40 PM   #74
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodoTBaggin View Post
The poors don't like Mango's advice.
The poors, ironically, need it more than anyone else. The poors don't have AAA so a preventative replacement of WP for $70 saves them $150 tow, $150 wp, and $200 install. Right there you have the money for an overhaul.

Anyway, got to get back to replacing my engine before it fails me. Nip the problem in the bud.

If you don't support the grand superpatriot, you embolden the terrorists. I think you all should reflect on that a bit!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:53 PM   #75
KaktusJaque
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
In the past couple days alone, I must have seen 12 new cooling problem threads pop up from new members.

New members and seasoned veterans alike:

If your cooling system is original or you aren't sure, you absolutely need to replace the entire cooling system. Drive on blown shocks if you want, leak oil onto the driveway, have CEL codes like no tomorrow but if your cooling system fails, your day is over. You will need a new engine. It's the one thing you don't want to risk or cheap out on.

You chose the BMW badge now you must assume the responsibility that goes with it.

Expect to pay $500 if you are manual or $720 if you are automatic to replace the entire cooling system. The more you replace, the less your chances are of failure.

There is a giant army out there that will back this up, so don't worry. This information is tried, true, and tested throughout generations.

The link is in my sig or here:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=914109

Also remember to see sig, do it all!
Thanks for this Mango, Being a new owner, I find this to be quite valuable. I just changed the thermostat, belts, idler, tensioner pulleys, when I had to replace the Oil Filter Housing gasket. (car is not completly put back together yet) It would be good to get this all done before Im done.

2003 Touring 325 XiT (KJ's Ride)
2004 Coupe 325 Ci (Mrs. KJ's Ride)

Last edited by KaktusJaque; 03-20-2013 at 01:54 PM.
KaktusJaque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:57 PM   #76
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaktusJaque View Post
Thanks for this Mango, Being a new owner, I find this to be quite valuable. I just changed the thermostat, belts, idler, tensioner pulleys, when I had to replace the Oil Filter Housing gasket. (car is not completly put back together yet) It would be good to get this all done before Im done.
You are welcome.

This is exactly why this thread exists.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 03-20-2013, 02:25 PM   #77
terzinator

My Ride: 325iT 5-sp RWD Sport
You all act like Mango's getting rich off people doing Preventative Maintenance.

Um, to be fair, I guess I should ask: Mango, are you getting rich off this?

E46FANATICS Touring Forum!

Last edited by terzinator; Today at 11:56 PM. REASON: Fear.
terzinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:26 PM   #78
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by terzinator View Post
You all act like Mango's getting rich off people doing Preventative Maintenance.

Um, to be fair, I guess I should ask: Mango, are you getting rich off this?
No I am not.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 03-20-2013, 02:28 PM   #79
325inthe510

My Ride: 152ci of madness
I've had everything necessary for a cooling system refresh since November

I think it's about time to get er done

325inthe510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:28 PM   #80
KaktusJaque
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2003 325xi
maybe Mango should have made this post and then locked it for a "for info only" Geezsh!

2003 Touring 325 XiT (KJ's Ride)
2004 Coupe 325 Ci (Mrs. KJ's Ride)
KaktusJaque is offline   Reply With Quote