E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 2.71 average. Display Modes
Old 03-20-2013, 01:34 PM   #81
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
The poors, ironically, need it more than anyone else. The poors don't have AAA so a preventative replacement of WP for $70 saves them $150 tow, $150 wp, and $200 install. Right there you have the money for an overhaul.

Anyway, got to get back to replacing my engine before it fails me. Nip the problem in the bud.

If you don't support the grand superpatriot, you embolden the terrorists. I think you all should reflect on that a bit!
That's why they don't have any money to begin with. They don't understand these concepts. Then they come in a week later wondering if we approve of installing a used fuel pump because theirs died and they can't wait for a new one to be shipped in.

The mentality of replacing things as they break is just as costly and more inconvenient than preventative maintenance. Wait for my water pump to break? Really? Why would I do that? Most cars get a new WP around 100K. Nobody waits for those to break unless you are stupid and like over heating. Expansion tanks seem to blow up regularly around here. That also makes sense to change. I've seen several fan explosion threads in the past couple months. There are specific parts you need to do PM on. Other things can wait (VCG for example).

To the moron who says over heating will only cost you a head gasket and a milling of the head: How much do you think that costs? It's well over $1000 and you'll still have a broken cooling system to fix. No, you won't have to get a new engine, but have fun without your car for a week while they do this work. You'll replace that broken WP that caused it or whatever, then the next day your ET blows up and you lose another head gasket. This time they can't machine it because you can't put a head gasket that thick on. Peace engine. Anyway, $500-700 now would save you thousands in the future.

*Awaiting response with anecdotal evidence that their PM didn't work because some other part broke*

Last edited by WDE46; 03-20-2013 at 01:38 PM.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:46 PM   #82
Adionik

My Ride: Bavarian Panzer
At the very least I think replacing the expansion tank, water pump and thermostat will save any drastic coolant-exploding-side-of-highway experiences and more importantly overheating.

Replacing a headgasket and warped head is an expensive PITA
Adionik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:50 PM   #83
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
The poors, ironically, need it more than anyone else. The poors don't have AAA so a preventative replacement of WP for $70 saves them $150 tow, $150 wp, and $200 install. Right there you have the money for an overhaul.

Anyway, got to get back to replacing my engine before it fails me. Nip the problem in the bud.

If you don't support the grand superpatriot, you embolden the terrorists. I think you all should reflect on that a bit!
The poors... haha never heart it put that way before. And yes.. don't embolden the terrorists!

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:29 PM   #84
Rocket22

My Ride: 2003 325Ci
Wow, I was a non believer, now converted

For starters, I used to be a "don't fix until it makes a noise or leaks" mentality. At 110K miles and thinking that Expansion Tank stuff is BS, i got the pop and smoke of the ET Failure. Luckily it popped right near my house and I had it towed home.

Hoses, ET, WP, Thermostat, all replaced. You have to figure you are going to replace this once while owning the car, why wait until it fails, replace in the spring/summer. I replaced mine when it was 0 degrees outside, the garage heater got it up to 40, but repairs are much more fun and easy when you plan them!

Note: Yes I did use an AZ water pump since I had a credit there, 15K miles and pump is fine.
Rocket22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:14 PM   #85
cvx5832

My Ride: 325Ci, 325Cic, C300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket22 View Post
Yes I did use an AZ water pump since I had a credit there, 15K miles and pump is fine.
I also have 15k on the Autozone waterpump I put in a pinch. The bearing on the old pump just started making noises and it bugged me enough not to wait for something online. The one I put in was a quality unit and I have no doubt it will go my standard WP interval of around ~60k miles.

That said I went to purchase the same pump for the other car. What they brought to the counter was by far NOT the same pump. Whatever it was, even I knew to stay away. Probably changed suppliers, I don't know.

Last edited by cvx5832; 03-20-2013 at 04:15 PM.
cvx5832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:23 PM   #86
mkodama

I think OP needs to make yet another self-appreciation thread where he can talk about how knowledgeable he is, how his way is the ONLY way to maintain BMWs, and inflate his ego even more.

Seriously Mango, give it a rest. Providing part numbers and information is great but the whole forum doesn't need to be constantly told when they should change their cooling system. Are you just on some mission to get the most amount of replies or views in your own thread or something?

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:36 PM   #87
KaktusJaque
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2003 325xi
I see much debate among you veterans and I can understand some your comments. However I think this post was geared toward us NEW owners. So I wanted to give a shout out of thanks to Mango. As stated before I just purchased my E46, and with the shopping list of other things I need to fix, the cooling system eluded me…until this post. I took apart all the cooling system components and found my expansion tank and tank holder just over a year old as indicated by the mfg lable. However the radiator had a mfg date of Dec 2002 and by the looks of it has been in the car since new. I sprayed it out and black water came through the veins, being that I live in AZ temps in the summer are in the 100s and 110s like dznuts007 in NV. I’m sure this would have been a problem for me this summer. Also found the fan switch leaking at the lower radiator hose too. Sure I would like to spend my money on angel eyes or some other cool stuff, but gots to take care of the go go first,

so...

thanks again Mango!

p.s. will also be replacing the water pump and hoses too.

2003 Touring 325 XiT (KJ's Ride)
2004 Coupe 325 Ci (Mrs. KJ's Ride)
KaktusJaque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:46 PM   #88
Grande D

My Ride: Whiiiite BMW!
Lawwwwd have mercy, that radiator is dirty.

i spend it while i can, if i run out i'll swallow all my meds
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:13 PM   #89
Sweetness
E46 is strong with this one

My Ride: '01 325i
Thread Name: (Mango's Crew gather here)
Sweetness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:29 PM   #90
wildirish317

My Ride: 2004 325Ci vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
I think OP needs to make yet another self-appreciation thread where he can talk about how knowledgeable he is, how his way is the ONLY way to maintain BMWs, and inflate his ego even more.
I think you are missing the point. Most people skip over the Stickies when they join the forum. I didn't, but I'm old, and came here for the wealth of information. Mango noticed a lot of newcomers lately, and simply wanted them to be aware of the cooling system issues. Nothing wrong with that.

Mango is a very black/white person. There are no shades of gray for him. Something is, or it isn't. Nothing wrong with that either. For me, it provides a nice balance to my many shades of gray.

I don't think it's an ego thing at all, at all. We all have egos so, to an extent, every post we make is an ego thing, including this one.

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”

Last edited by wildirish317; 03-20-2013 at 05:30 PM. Reason: grammer/spelling (OCD)
wildirish317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:10 PM   #91
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaktusJaque View Post
I took apart all the cooling system components and found my expansion tank and tank holder just over a year old as indicated by the mfg lable. However the radiator had a mfg date of Dec 2002 and by the looks of it has been in the car since new. I sprayed it out and black water came through the veins, being that I live in AZ temps in the summer are in the 100s and 110s like dznuts007 in NV. I’m sure this would have been a problem for me this summer. Also found the fan switch leaking at the lower radiator hose too.
Wash your car, clean components, change the oil, etc, etc. Since you're new and only did this other thing because someone told you.
You do not need to remove the radiator to clean it. You could have used a hose. Hours of your day saved to do other things. Thank me now.

Sure this is a forum and people giving advice to help out is all good. Which is exactly what this thread was for. All good.
but..
i do see how some point out there is a Sticky at the top and placed there for this very reason. i could bump a dozen threads pertaining to this same thing written years before that Sticky too. but i don't because i figure people come to a forum to learn and the things they may find the most useful in one place are Stickied..no??

I think the best post would be remember to examine one's car or have it inspected.
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:30 PM   #92
wildirish317

How many people read this thread before reading any other?

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=523290

Based on some of the questions posted in the past week, I would say quite a few newcomers zipped right to the "Post New Thread" button without reading any posts. Some have been justifiably flamed, but others have not. Rules are made to be broken, it seems. When you see a 55 mph speed limit sign, and everyone around you is going 70 mph, how fast do you go?

Another problem that newcomers have understanding terms like "sig" and recognizing that underlined words are actually links. (Hard to imagine, but true.) It takes a while to learn the lingo of this forum. We should keep that in mind.

As far as the "Do It All" suggestions, they are just that. It's up to the reader to determine what really needs to be done. If they can't, then they should do it all. There's nothing I've found in the suggestions that will hurt the car. It might hurt the wallet, but not the car.

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”
Old 03-20-2013, 06:42 PM   #93
KaktusJaque
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
You do not need to remove the radiator to clean it. You could have used a hose. Hours of your day saved to do other things. Thank me now.
I took it out because I have ordered a new one to replace it. I take very good care of my cars and I want to start off getting this car to a high level of service.

I just dont know the history of my new car or how it was taken care of (or lack there of) etc. So what better way to start off the best way I can, (money wise) and keep it up from there.

I still have a few things to do, but Im taking it little by little. Once all the yuck stuff is done i.e. leaks, tears, misfires etc,

I will move on to the fun stuff for the car. Cant wait for all that, especially seeing some of the rides on this forum.

2003 Touring 325 XiT (KJ's Ride)
2004 Coupe 325 Ci (Mrs. KJ's Ride)

Last edited by KaktusJaque; 03-20-2013 at 06:43 PM.
KaktusJaque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:28 PM   #94
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Kaktusjaque--awesome. That's exactly what I like to hear.

MKodama, I am in general every single day almost the entire day on weekdays. Lately we've had thread after thread asking what's wrong w/ my cooling system?! I made a comment that people were passing over the cooling sticky. The whole point for stickying the sticky was so that people can click on it. Apparently, I've found, a lot aren't. So by providing yet another PSA on the very most important thing on our cars as summer is approaching, I thought it would be a good idea to promote healthy discussion and sort of a Q/A session for new members. And apparently, it's serving its intended purpose. Lots of people lurk so that's another plus. If I made 10 threads on this subject, I'm not sure why you'd have a problem with it. It's a very important topic that new people need to understand. And this thread is also for those who have or don't have the parts and have been putting it off.

As for the radiator, Alex. Do you have a special technique to use? Because the condenser is sandwiched right up against the radiator and I really don't know of a way to efficiently clean it out besides removing it. I'm actually looking for a good comb to clean my condensor fins. I think I saw them at Harbor Freight.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 03-20-2013, 07:39 PM   #95
wildirish317

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
I'm actually looking for a good comb to clean my condensor fins. I think I saw them at Harbor Freight.
You should have a Grainger nearby. If not, any good HVAC supply house should have them.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/DIV...J76?Pid=search

Old 03-20-2013, 07:42 PM   #96
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildirish317 View Post
You should have a Grainger nearby. If not, any good HVAC supply house should have them.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/DIV...J76?Pid=search
I'll check home depot. thanks for the idea

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 03-20-2013, 08:09 PM   #97
dlmrun2002

My Ride: 325xit
Mango went for a 5 mile run cause his car overheated !!!!
I'm running a 20K in 1:12:19. I bet my cooling system overheats.
Replace all OLD PLASTIC on cooling system. Weak link

dlmrun ny country

Last edited by dlmrun2002; 03-20-2013 at 08:10 PM.
dlmrun2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:30 PM   #98
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmrun2002 View Post
Mango went for a 5 mile run cause his car overheated !!!!
I'm running a 20K in 1:12:19. I bet my cooling system overheats.
Replace all OLD PLASTIC on cooling system. Weak link

dlmrun ny country
dafuq

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 03-20-2013, 09:45 PM   #99
LeMansteve

My Ride: '04 330i 6mt ZSP ZPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
I am in general every single day almost the entire day on weekdays.
...so what do you do for a living?
Old 03-20-2013, 09:50 PM   #100
SeanC

My Ride: 330i

Sapphire Black MetallicNatural BrownSilver Cube e46 330i ZHP/ZCW/6MT - Sold
HellrotDove Grey e36 ///M3 - RIP
Alpine WhiteTanSand High Gloss e46 330i SunRoofLess/5MT
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote