E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 23 votes, 2.74 average. Display Modes
Old 03-24-2013, 02:08 PM   #141
///MPR77

My Ride: 02 ///M3 Tri-Ped
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
Good job bumping both of your own threads, about the same topic, in the same forum. You should bump all your threads on a daily basis as a daily reminder to replace things that break once every 5-10 years. Your bumps are not at all annoying or spamming of the forum.
Come on...really?

I wonder what goes on in the mind of someone who can get annoyed by a thread like this... is it jealousy, are you not getting enough attention?
So this thread doesn't apply to you, and yet it still bothers you, why post in it at all, doesn't that just agitate you more?
You're a knowledgeable guy, why so much animosity, it seems like you, and Mango would be friends.

The Ego is a persons worst enemy, and it seems like it has gotten the better of you...solely based on your posts as I have never met you.

Hopefully we can all just get along.
:rodneyking.gif:

Bewahren Sie ihre ultimative fahrmaschine
///MPR77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:12 PM   #142
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPR77 View Post
Come on...really?

I wonder what goes on in the mind of someone who can get annoyed by a thread like this... is it jealousy, are you not getting enough attention?
So this thread doesn't apply to you, and yet it still bothers you, why post in it at all, doesn't that just agitate you more?
You're a knowledgeable guy, why so much animosity, it seems like you, and Mango would be friends.

The Ego is a persons worst enemy, and it seems like it has gotten the better of you...solely based on your posts as I have never met you.

Hopefully we can all just get along.
:rodneyking.gif:

I've seriously reached out to the guy saying lets be friends. I've always had good things to say about him (see my post history prior to my cooling sticky)

Mike and I have had our squabbles but we met and we don't see eachother as threatening as we do online. Just because you don't like a particular person's posting style doesn't mean that translates the same in the real world. Keep an open mind, Kodama.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:45 PM   #143
skylane5sp

My Ride: 2002 330i 5sp
So I've been reading all this stuff about my first BMW, all the stickies, all the blahblah, all the doom and gloom. I took most of it with a grain of salt, realizing that it's probably something I should do so I was looking at parts prices - ouch, maybe next paycheck. After all, I just got this car a week ago. It's in beautiful condition. 115k. Immaculate. Clean, quiet, everything I've ever wanted. Handles like I wanna do a track day! Yeah.

It was a ticking, effing time bomb! Good thing I had to go in to work yesterday instead of doing the road trip I'd envisioned over the mountains to Eastern WA. I would have been royally screwed. The plastic barb on the very end of the permanently clamped plastic elbow at the top of the plastic exp tank broke off and the hose slipped halfway off. I was sitting in line at McD's when the steam started. If I'd been on I-90 out in the middle of nowhere doing 70 or 80+ I probably wouldn't have noticed a thing until it was too late and my new beautiful toy would have become so much junk.

So, I get it. This newbie says THANKS, MANGO, for your crying in the wilderness. All you other haters, kwitcherbitchen and go read another thread. Maybe your clue should have been "...to all new members".

Last edited by skylane5sp; 03-24-2013 at 04:28 PM.
skylane5sp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:17 PM   #144
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylane5sp View Post
So I've been reading all this stuff about my first BMW, all the stickies, all the blahblah, all the doom and gloom. I took most of it with a grain of salt, realizing that it's probably something I should do so I was looking at parts prices - ouch, maybe next paycheck. After all, I just got this car a week ago. It's in beautiful condition. 115k. Immaculate. Clean, quiet, everything I've ever wanted. Handles like I wanna do a track day! Yeah.

It was a ticking, effing time bomb! Good thing I had to go in to work yesterday instead of doing the road trip I'd envisioned over the mountains to Eastern WA. I would have been royally screwed. The plastic barb on the very end of the permanently clamped plastic elbow at the top of the plastic exp tank broke off and the hose slipped halfway off. I was sitting in line at McD's when the steam started. If I'd been on I-90 out in the middle of nowhere doing 70 or 80+ I probably wouldn't have noticed a thing until it was too late and my new beautiful toy would have become so much junk.

So, I get it. This newbie says THANKS, MANGO, for your crying in the wilderness. All you other haters, kwitcherbitchen and go read another thread. Maybe your clue should have been "...to all new members".
You are welcome sir! + cooling season/pre-summer bump!

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 07-09-2013, 04:41 PM   #145
Mango
A full five stars, son

Seasonal bumpity bump. Visually inspect your cooling system, folks. It's getting hot!

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 07-09-2013, 05:09 PM   #146
2003 325i

My Ride: '03 Orient Blue 325i
Bump for original cooling system! WOOT WOOT, runs like a champ, steady 89-92 degrees. 191K kms and counting and many $$ saved!!! Regular coolant changes every 50K kms.

Don't change your original system, it's the best one you'll ever have!
2003 325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:31 PM   #147
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003 325i View Post
Bump for original cooling system! WOOT WOOT, runs like a champ, steady 89-92 degrees. 191K kms and counting and many $$ saved!!! Regular coolant changes every 50K kms.

1) I doubt you are the original owner. An original owner can afford a new BMW and one who can afford a new BMW wouldn't talk lke that. If you bought your car used, you don't know what you have.

2) I don't do KMs. Doesn't sound like much anyway.

3) I know people with failed 55-75k mile cooling items.

What's your point? Exceptions don't change the rule. They only prove how retarded you are for stretching the rule.

Congratulations.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 07-09-2013, 06:27 PM   #148
hi its me alec

My Ride: BMWs + 1988 Pathy
Send a message via AIM to hi its me alec Send a message via MSN to hi its me alec
Still on original cooling system, 116k miles, build date 10/1998. It was about 90 today

hi its me alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:41 PM   #149
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Where I give Real World advice and don't just criticize others. People here need to RESPECT other's opinions!
My Ride: 03 325iT SportWagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003 325i View Post

Congrats on maintaining your car and getting a lot out of your cooling system!

Engine swap, HG, tranny swap, GM & ZF tranny rebuilds, shocks, struts, brakes, WPs, Thermostats, belts, tensioners, fuel pumps, radiators, window regs, hoses, PS pump, Spark Plugs, VCGs, coils, fuel filters, CVVs, VANOS seals, rack, LCABs, Exp. Tanks, OFHGs, RCABs, OP, boots, ABS, GUIDOs, starter, A/C, DISA, Diff, SAP

Ultra Premium Grand 10 Star+ Super Duper BMW-pedic Sport Plus +++
BMWCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:45 PM   #150
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Where I give Real World advice and don't just criticize others. People here need to RESPECT other's opinions!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
1) I doubt you are the original owner. An original owner can afford a new BMW and one who can afford a new BMW wouldn't talk lke that. If you bought your car used, you don't know what you have.

2) I don't do KMs. Doesn't sound like much anyway.

3) I know people with failed 55-75k mile cooling items.

What's your point? Exceptions don't change the rule. They only prove how retarded you are for stretching the rule.

Congratulations.
Here you go again criticizing someone and telling them they don't know their car. He know s his car better than you do because he can look at it. You just want to diss everyone.

You need to add up all the exceptions like I have and data shows it lasts a lot longer than you are saying. This is fact!

Engine swap, HG, tranny swap, GM & ZF tranny rebuilds, shocks, struts, brakes, WPs, Thermostats, belts, tensioners, fuel pumps, radiators, window regs, hoses, PS pump, Spark Plugs, VCGs, coils, fuel filters, CVVs, VANOS seals, rack, LCABs, Exp. Tanks, OFHGs, RCABs, OP, boots, ABS, GUIDOs, starter, A/C, DISA, Diff, SAP

Old 07-09-2013, 06:48 PM   #151
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi its me alec View Post
Still on original cooling system, 116k miles, build date 10/1998. It was about 90 today
My neighbor has 145k on his original cooling system (except pulleys which I replaced because they were loud and dry) but he's reporting leaks in his driveway and theres visible coolant seeping out of his radiator, expansion tank, and hoses. He doesn't have much longer.

Just because you can stretch it doesn't mean you should. You can potentially cause someone here to get the wrong idea by having a false sense of security.

And @BeMyWhip, stop causing trouble and +1ing any post that seems to go against me. Neglecting your cooling system and bragging about it is not "maintaining your car." Your complacency with not maintaining your car should be kept to yourself.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 07-09-2013, 06:59 PM   #152
wildirish317

My Ride: 2004 325Ci vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCaptain View Post
You need to add up all the exceptions like I have and data shows it lasts a lot longer than you are saying. This is fact!
In for data; let's see it. I think we have a resident statistician on the forum who can analyse it. (Data without analyses is simply numbers.)

Quote:
Just because you can stretch it doesn't mean you should. You can potentially cause someone here to get the wrong idea by having a false sense of security.
+1 See my sig; peace of mind is everything when it comes to your E46.

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”
wildirish317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:44 PM   #153
asdetail

My Ride: 2002 325ci coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sheep View Post
While mango is rigorous (and religious) in his PM, what he suggests is spot on and certainly is no BS.. ****..While even a brand new ET may crack and **** you in the ass, it is highly unlikely. But chances are, depending on the condition of your car and your driving habits and location, cooling issues, if you don't do PM, then there is a high statistical probability something may fail in the various systems that consists of you E46 the more mileage you have and as time goes on. Consider how plastic and rubber (eg. weatherstripping) in our E46 literally turns to dust over time, you wouldn't want your 90% plastic cooling systems to fail like that. Hell you can run with a leaky VANOS, broken PCV hoses, blown LCAB but you can't run without a motor. The proper functioning of your cooling system directly correlates to the health of your motor. No Motor = 3500+ lb paper weight

A wise man once said, "you never are afraid of what is certain to happen, but you are of what might"

I recently (less than a month ago) replaced my thermostat, water pump, expansion tank, all the pulleys (idle, deflector, ac) and new belts. I didn't do the radiator nor the hoses (cause I forgot to order them doooh!!) I am just shy of 100k and expect for the belts, everything else was original. I live in Vegas, which for those living under a rock... Vegas is in a friggen desert. Summer temp runs consistently in the 110F+. I wouldn't want to run the risk of getting stuck in the side of the road literally cooking my nuts off waiting for a tow truck, nor risk having to either scrap the car or get a new motor after I recently put $1200+ in suspension, $600 in brakes, $1000 in other various new parts and $300 in tires. So to me $350 is the price i pay to insure I do not squander the other $3000+ in parts I already spent.. and a peace of mind that future money I burn on my E46 has some longevity.

Of course your situation may vary, and circumstance is different for everyone. So its everyone's own responsibility to figure out what is right and feasible for them. If you don't have the brain power to figure out the yearly weather or your car's overall condition or add up the amount of money you "invested"(aka burned) in your car and if it is worth insuring it against possible catastrophic failure.... WTH are you doing on a forum that focus on a subject (DIY) that requires basic comprehension, some mechanical and minimal intelligence?
this could apply to any make of vehicle with high klms, not just bmw,my message is,if your vehicle has more than 90000klm,get it serviced by a competent service centre regularly,check under the hood once a week for potential issues and you should catch issues early enough to rectify,works for me anyway
asdetail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:18 PM   #154
mjpgolf1

My Ride: 00 328i ZSP,05 745LI
Cooling System Season: Grand reminder to all new members

This comes down to whether or not you want to chance getting stuck on the side of the road. Not doing preventative maintenance on a BMW is just plain stupid. There is enough documentation out there that proves that certain parts on our cars will fail in time including the cooling system. If you choose not to refresh it you will get stranded at some point and its just a matter of where it will happen and not if it will happen. Like anything else that's nice there is a price that comes with it to maintain it and keep it nice. I can't believe that people would dispute this. You want to drive a BMW but you don't want the responsibilities that come along with it. Just replace the cooling system and enjoy your car knowing you are keeping it happy and healthy. Sometimes I think people on here disagree for nothing more than to have a dispute.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
mjpgolf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:20 PM   #155
BMWCaptain

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdetail View Post
this could apply to any make of vehicle with high klms, not just bmw,my message is,if your vehicle has more than 90000klm,get it serviced by a competent service centre regularly,check under the hood once a week for potential issues and you should catch issues early enough to rectify,works for me anyway
We are on a forum that helps e46 fanatics with their cars and most do their own work on their cars, DIY.

We should not have to take it to get serviced at a competent service center. We are more than competent to do the work ourselves.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:04 PM   #156
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCaptain View Post
We are on a forum that helps e46 fanatics with their cars and most do their own work on their cars, DIY.

We should not have to take it to get serviced at a competent service center. We are more than competent to do the work ourselves.
In fact many of us are way more competent than the mechanics that have an 8-5 at a service center. Speaking for a core contingent of the fanatics, we take the time to do the job right, cleaning everything in our path, evaluating and analyzing everything we touch. Sure it takes longer that way, which is precisely the point. Shops work on a clock to stay competitive and lucrative, which means they aren't going to take the time to do the job the way we will. I don't know what I would have a shop do, ever - but I speak as a fanatic!

/// MODS
/// Auto => 6-Spd Manual Conversion | Apex EC-7 | Koni/Ground Control Coilovers | Vorshlag Camber Plates | Meyle HD LCA | PowerFlex bushings | GruppeM rep CAI | Shark Injector | 6000k HID's and Fogs | BMW European MTechII | BMW Performance Shifter | ACS Mirrors and Rear Spoiler ///
TitaniumCranium is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:17 PM   #157
Mango
A full five stars, son

I keep getting BMWCaptain mixed up with BeMyWhip. I swear they are the EXACT same person. Typing style, word usage, hostility, etc. is 100% identical.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 07-09-2013, 09:21 PM   #158
BMWCaptain

Quote:
I keep getting BMWCaptain mixed up with BeMyWhip. I swear they are the EXACT same person. Typing style, word usage, hostility, etc. is 100% identical.
Yes, your mind is mixed up!

Just don't hate me because I am beautiful!

Last edited by BMWCaptain; 07-09-2013 at 09:22 PM.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:04 PM   #159
hi its me alec

My Ride: BMWs + 1988 Pathy
Send a message via AIM to hi its me alec Send a message via MSN to hi its me alec
Quote:
My neighbor has 145k on his original cooling system (except pulleys which I replaced because they were loud and dry) but he's reporting leaks in his driveway and theres visible coolant seeping out of his radiator, expansion tank, and hoses. He doesn't have much longer.

And @BeMyWhip, stop causing trouble and +1ing any post that seems to go against me. Neglecting your cooling system and bragging about it is not "maintaining your car." Your complacency with not maintaining your car should be kept to yourself.
I don't have any leaks or seepage, the only problem to report is that my thermostat is a little off, it takes a while to fully warm up when it's below 20 or 30 degrees outside. (I'm ok with that.) I think my luck has something to do with flushing my coolant back in 2006 when I had about 50k miles.

Sorry your car exploded prematurely I have a thermostat and water pump in my trunk (along with fuel pump relay, fuel pump, and mini-ipod speakers.) So I'm kinda prepared for anything except for a flat tire, your stab at my 'unwillingness to maintain my car' isn't really based on anything in reality. I understand how dire of a situation the cooling system is, and I probably knew about it before you did, with all due respect. My car is also megalostanced, so it has that awesomeness going for it as well. Instant 2x multiplier on all maintenance points because it's stanced.

Last edited by hi its me alec; 07-09-2013 at 11:06 PM.
hi its me alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:07 PM   #160
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi its me alec View Post
I don't have any leaks or seepage, the only problem to report is that my thermostat is a little off, it takes a while to fully warm up when it's below 20 or 30 degrees outside. (I'm ok with that.) I think my luck has something to do with flushing my coolant back in 2006 when I had about 50k miles.

Sorry your car exploded prematurely I have a thermostat and water pump in my trunk (along with fuel pump relay, fuel pump, and mini-ipod speakers.) So I'm kinda prepared for anything except for a flat tire, your stab at my 'unwillingness to maintain my car' isn't really based on anything in reality. I understand how dire of a situation the cooling system is, and I probably knew about it before you did, with all due respect. My car is also megalostanced, so it has that awesomeness going for it as well. Instant 2x multiplier on all maintenance points because it's stanced.
Actions speak louder than words.

And my car never exploded.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS