E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-19-2013, 08:57 PM   #1
TSR6

My Ride: Keg Sled
Help with my next AR-15?

I bought a Colt 6920, fell in love with these guns (always been a bolt-action hunting rifle guy). I originally wanted to put a scope on the Colt, but I decided I like the "original" configuration.... which is an excuse to buy another gun, right? one for the scope!

Wife gave an absolute "no" no buying another AR-15 right now, but OK'ed getting spare parts (in case something breaks, right?). Good news is, I already ordered a "spare" lower receiver.

I'm thinking a heavier build.... heavy barrel, scope & all... anyone go this route? I'd like it to be a bit more of a distance shooter. This is likely a several month build, so i'm just looking for ideas...
Old 03-19-2013, 09:01 PM   #2
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
Go 7.62 if you're doing a "heavy duty" rifle. Look into the LaRue PredatAR... badass rifle

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:25 PM   #3
TSR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
Go 7.62 if you're doing a "heavy duty" rifle. Look into the LaRue PredatAR... badass rifle
300blk was also recommended.

I'm building this slowly, have a PSA lower on the way... I figure at least 4-6 months before I complete it assuming the whole "buying spare parts" continues to work with the spousal unit.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:30 PM   #4
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

My Ride: is slowww
Send a message via AIM to Adam@Euro-Spec
If you have a psa lower on order you can't build it into a 7.62... 300 blackout reloading components and ammo are impossible to find right now too.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App
Adam@Euro-Spec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:42 PM   #5
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
If you are looking for a hunting rifle setup, I would recommend 6.8mm SPC II. It's a phenomenal cartridge and has capabilities that are not far off from the 7.62, but it fits on the AR15 platform. Additionally, the cartridge has serious long range potential both with the standard 115gr OTM which is sort of the standard "BALL" load, as well as with the new 140gr VLD match load by Silver State Armory, which makes it a true 1000yd cartridge.

Another hunting option is the 6.5 Grendel, which has a flatter trajectory than the 6.8 SPC. The downside of the Grendel is that it is better suited to longer barrel platforms for precision, while the 6.8 is more versatile and at home in SBR configuration, as well as a longer barrel precision platform. However, both are good out of a 16" platform.

6.8 SPC components are easier to find than 6.5 Grendel, and there's a lot more options for commercial ammo. There is a very limited amount of availability for 6.5 Barrels, but everything you get from Alexander Arms would work well.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel

Last edited by Reedo302; 03-19-2013 at 09:43 PM.
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:42 PM   #6
TSR6

I assume 7.62 is basically the same as .308? If thats the case, then agreed... I know that much.

I have no problem doing another 5.56 - it'd make it easy for ammo, but a lot of folks are chiming in on the 300blk... which I'm mildly interested in...
Old 03-19-2013, 09:51 PM   #7
TSR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
If you are looking for a hunting rifle setup, I would recommend 6.8mm SPC II. It's a phenomenal cartridge and has capabilities that are not far off from the 7.62, but it fits on the AR15 platform. Additionally, the cartridge has serious long range potential both with the standard 115gr OTM which is sort of the standard "BALL" load, as well as with the new 140gr VLD match load by Silver State Armory, which makes it a true 1000yd cartridge.
Another hunting option is the 6.5 Grendel, which has a flatter trajectory than the 6.8 SPC. The downside of the Grendel is that it is better suited to longer barrel platforms for precision, while the 6.8 is more versatile and at home in SBR configuration, as well as a longer barrel precision platform. However, both are good out of a 16" platform.
I can't say I'm going hunting rifle... more so for fun...

It'd be hard for me to replace my 300wsm for deer (my primary game at this point) - I love the gun I have for deer hunting, plus it's a LW rifle platform... I'll be honest, I'm no ammo expert - so I'm actually not familiar with the rounds you posted here.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:55 PM   #8
Reedo302

.300BLK has been excellent for brush and deer hunting, since the ballistics mirror the .30-30win. It's not a great long range load though, as it was designed as a CQB load originally. Logistically, it's a great option since it's literally a barrel change. Both the 6.8 and 6.5 require a barrel, bolt and magazine(s).

A 5.56 precision setup would also be lots of fun, and I think you'd be pleased with it. The cool thing about precision 5.56 platforms is that you can either do a custom setup, or you can do a copy of a current military SPR like the Mk12 Mod0 or Mod1.
The issue lies with ammunition, since the ammo you'd be using would need to be 68-77gr loads to optimize performance at distance. The 55-62gr ammo you'd typically shoot out of the 6920 would not perform all that well out of a precision 18" barrel.

Also, keep in mind that there are other options you should be looking at, like a good trigger (Geissele).

Glock Armorer

Old 03-19-2013, 10:12 PM   #9
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

I've chosen the 2nd part of reedo reply for my current build.
18" noveske spr barrel and geissele ssa-e trigger
Harris/larue bipod and magpul prs stock. I'm interested to see how it shoots when i get it back...should be fun.

For me since i don't reload 556 is my best current choice.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:42 AM   #10
GasKing

My Ride: 14 Jeep Wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam@Euro-Spec View Post
I've chosen the 2nd part of reedo reply for my current build.
18" noveske spr barrel and geissele ssa-e trigger
Harris/larue bipod and magpul prs stock. I'm interested to see how it shoots when i get it back...should be fun.

For me since i don't reload 556 is my best current choice.

Have you used that trigger before? Contemplating it for my new build
Old 03-20-2013, 09:42 AM   #11
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

Not the ssa-e yet, but the ssa is an awesome trigger.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:23 AM   #12
Ghostie

My Ride: What else?
Quote:
.300BLK has been excellent for brush and deer hunting, since the ballistics mirror the .30-30win. It's not a great long range load though, .
Define long? I'm looking for a Deer harvester next, and would prefer an AR if possible

I'm assuming 5.56 is absolutely a no-no

Last edited by Ghostie; 03-20-2013 at 11:28 AM.
Ghostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:32 AM   #13
Wraisil

My Ride: 2010 Infiniti G37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostie View Post
Define long? I'm looking for a Deer harvester next, and would prefer an AR if possible

Depends on the deer and state hunting regulations. 5.56 has been used to effectively hunt deer and other game. The 300blk I wouldn't try to take down a deer with past about 200 yards to ensure a humane kill, and I'd prefer to keep it inside 150 yards.

If you just want an "AR" style then you could go with a LR-308 or AR-10 platform for better longer range capabilities for hunting deer.

Last edited by Wraisil; 03-20-2013 at 12:31 PM.
Wraisil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:19 PM   #14
TSR6

Quote:

If it's similar to a 30-30, I'd imagine it falls flat on it's face after 200 yards... am I correct?

5.56/.223 can't be used for deer around here, I can tell you that much...

Last edited by TSR6; 03-20-2013 at 12:21 PM.
TSR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:24 PM   #15
Reedo302

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSR6 View Post
If it's similar to a 30-30, I'd imagine it falls flat on it's face after 200 yards... am I correct?

5.56/.223 can't be used for deer around here, I can tell you that much...
It looks a lot like the .300BLK starts to go downhill past 200yds. The 110gr offerings are probably better ballistically out to 300yds, but beyond that it turns into a brick. The loads at 125gr and heavier really drop like bricks past 200yds. With a standard 125gr Hunting load at 100yd zero, I found a drop table showing 8.6" drop at 200yds, and 30.4" drop at 300. That's a pretty significant drop. I wouldn't push a .300BLK past about 200yds. It's a good brush round, but out on open terrain in fields and whatnot, it would not be my pick.

If you want a good selection for hunting, look at the 6.8SPCII. That cartridge has a lot of dead deer, hogs and other critters to its credit. It also has a lot of loads available to it.

Glock Armorer

Old 03-20-2013, 07:05 PM   #16
TSR6

Quote:
It looks a lot like the .300BLK starts to go downhill past 200yds. The 110gr offerings are probably better ballistically out to 300yds, but beyond that it turns into a brick. The loads at 125gr and heavier really drop like bricks past 200yds. With a standard 125gr Hunting load at 100yd zero, I found a drop table showing 8.6" drop at 200yds, and 30.4" drop at 300. That's a pretty significant drop. I wouldn't push a .300BLK past about 200yds. It's a good brush round, but out on open terrain in fields and whatnot, it would not be my pick.

If you want a good selection for hunting, look at the 6.8SPCII. That cartridge has a lot of dead deer, hogs and other critters to its credit. It also has a lot of loads available to it.
I may just stay with the 5.56/223 round. It's been a lot of fun to shoot, it's readily available, and according to the charts - hits the ranges I'd like to shoot (I haven't shot .223/5.56 beyond 100 yards yet - long story short, I bought the Colt 6920, intended to scope it, like shooting it with the irons too much to put a scope on it - enter my new "spare parts" list I am creating...)

I don't plan on hunting with it - if I did, likely just coyotes. I have too many deer guns to build another one... not that I can ever have too many deer guns.... but I really....really....reallyy like my primary deer gun. It's a 300wsm Bowning A-Bolt Titanium. Sucker is a tack driver...

This is likely just a fun gun for me. Funny story, I've been shooting guns for ~16-17 years now, since I was 11-12 - but I haven't actually started to go recreation or "for fun" shooting until just recently. I'm so happy to have a gun that I can actually do an afternoon of shooting with... not break the bank... and even more importantly, not kill my shoulder.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:21 PM   #17
GasKing

My Ride: 14 Jeep Wrangler
An AR could never kill my shoulder. Not trying to sound macho but the last 2 range trips I've shoot 100 rounds of 00 buck each time plus slugs and I was fine.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:06 PM   #18
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

^^watch out we got a badass

Old 03-20-2013, 08:59 PM   #19
Reedo302

I get marks from shooting ARs, but I never feel it. I think my max was around 700rds in one day and I never once had any recoil-related pain shooting XM193. The 5.56 is a pretty soft-shooting cartridge.

Glock Armorer

Old 03-20-2013, 09:19 PM   #20
TSR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasKing View Post
An AR could never kill my shoulder. Not trying to sound macho but the last 2 range trips I've shoot 100 rounds of 00 buck each time plus slugs and I was fine.
Quote:
I get marks from shooting ARs, but I never feel it. I think my max was around 700rds in one day and I never once had any recoil-related pain shooting XM193. The 5.56 is a pretty soft-shooting cartridge.
My 300wsm is fairly tame compared to my slug guns... but I also shoot the hot rounds out of my slug guns so I can reach out to 200yrds.