E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-19-2013, 09:35 PM   #1
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Worker admits cutting 10 babies at abortion clinic

PHILADELPHIA (AP) - A medical assistant told a jury Tuesday that she snipped the spines of at least 10 babies during unorthodox abortions at a West Philadelphia clinic, at the direction of the clinic's owner.

And she said Dr. Kermit Gosnell and another employee did the same to terminate pregnancies.

Adrienne Moton's testimony came in the capital murder trial of Gosnell, who owned the clinic and is on trial in the deaths of a patient and seven babies. Prosecutors accuse him of killing late-term, viable babies after they were delivered alive, in violation of state abortion laws.

Gosnell's lawyer disputes that any babies were born alive and challenges the gestational age of the aborted fetuses.

Moton, the first employee to testify, sobbed as she recalled taking a cellphone photograph of one baby left in her work area in 2008. She thought he could have survived, given his size and pinkish color. She had measured him at nearly 30 weeks.

Gosnell later joked that the baby was so big he could have walked to the bus stop, she said.

Jurors saw Moton's photograph of the boy called "Baby A" on a large screen in the courtroom, which took on a bizarre look Tuesday as witnesses testified near a hospital bed with stirrups and other aging obstetric equipment. Denied the chance to bring jurors to the shuttered inner-city clinic, prosecutors are instead recreating a patient room in court.

The mother of "Baby A" testified Tuesday afternoon, describing a painful three-day abortion process that started at Gosnell's clinic in Delaware. She was 17, had an infant daughter and was told by Gosnell she was 24 weeks pregnant - the legal limit in Pennsylvania, but not in neighboring Delaware, where abortions are banned after 20 weeks.

The Chester woman said she given abortion drugs in Delaware and sent home the first two days, then was directed to the West Philadelphia clinic the third day. She was in severe pain by then, pain that only worsened the following week, she said.

Her aunt had taken her to the clinic and paid the $1,300 fee, and they had not told her mother.

"I never felt pain like that, ever," the woman said. "I couldn't talk to anybody and tell anybody."

But the teen ended up being hospitalized for two weeks with a large abscess and a blood clot near her heart. Prosecutors say she is one of countless patients injured during botched abortions or unsanitary conditions.

One patient, a 41-year-old refugee, died after an overdose of drugs allegedly given to her during a 2009 abortion.

Moton, 35, had lived with Gosnell's family during high school because of problems at home, then went to work for him years later. She earned about $10 an hour - off the books - to administer drugs, perform ultrasounds, help with abortions and dispose of fetal remains from 2005 to 2008.

She once had to kill a baby delivered in a toilet, cutting its neck with scissors, she said. Asked if she knew that was wrong, she said, "At first I didn't."

Abortions are typically performed in utero.

Moton has pleaded guilty to third-degree murder, which carries a 20- to 40-year term, as well as conspiracy and other charges. She has been in prison since early 2011, when Philadelphia prosecutors arrested Gosnell, his third wife, Pearl, and eight other employees. Most of them have pleaded guilty and are expected to testify.

Defense lawyer Jack McMahon told jurors in opening statements Monday that Gosnell, now 72, returned to the impoverished neighborhood after medical school when he could have struck it rich in the suburbs. He called the prosecution of his client, who is black, "a lynching."

But prosecutors believe Gosnell made plenty of money over a 30-year career using cheap, untrained staff, outdated medicines and barbaric techniques to perform abortions on desperate, low-income women.

And they say he made even more on the side running a "pill mill," where addicts and drug dealers could get prescriptions for potent painkillers. Authorities found $250,000 in cash under a mattress when they searched his home in 2010.

http://news.yahoo.com/worker-admits-...171908888.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelratr View Post
"They". Again with this idea that white people are a singular organism with a single will.

Individuals make choices and take actions. Sometimes their race informs their choices and actions, sometimes it does not.

Last edited by bimmerfan08; 03-19-2013 at 09:37 PM.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:48 PM   #2
GasKing

My Ride: 14 Jeep Wrangler
Fvckin disgusting.
GasKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:57 PM   #3
ThaHooch

My Ride: e46
Two million babies legally murdered every year in the US...we are a disgrace.

** Political sig removed **
ThaHooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:59 PM   #4
Fergo

My Ride: S52 E30(dead)08 135i
Wow, that is way disturbing.

Gasprince loves teh peen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven747 View Post
v10 was awesome new m5 is just fast dosent have a soul just 2 easy to make hp turbos
Fergo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:06 PM   #5
farmdog

My Ride: Acura TL
Fml.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:40 PM   #6
HBizzo88

My Ride: 2002 bmw 330ci
Sick
Old 03-19-2013, 10:54 PM   #7
jonel1225

My Ride: 02 325ci
I've given up on humanity.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:00 PM   #8
SLVR JDM

My Ride: reclining rear seats
Words cannot describe how sickening this is.

** Removed **
SLVR JDM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:02 PM   #9
ThaHooch

She once had to kill a baby delivered in a toilet, cutting its neck with scissors, she said. Asked if she knew that was wrong, she said, "At first I didn't."

Really, how does someone become so morally bankrupt?

Old 03-19-2013, 11:07 PM   #10
Lexie330ci
ILCUTAWOOTIE

My Ride: 330ci
Send a message via AIM to Lexie330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaHooch View Post
Where did you get this stat from? That is ridiculous...

Need brakes? Bother Anthony Here!
Lexie330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:11 PM   #11
Act of God
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 3.5 Liters of fury
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
If someone is going to get an abortion, they should really do it as soon as they find out they are pregnant.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:26 PM   #12
Fergo

My Ride: S52 E30(dead)08 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
If someone is going to get an abortion, they should really do it as soon as they find out they are pregnant.
Exactly, why would someone want to wait that long?

Gasprince loves teh peen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven747 View Post
v10 was awesome new m5 is just fast dosent have a soul just 2 easy to make hp turbos
Fergo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:46 PM   #13
ThaHooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexie330ci View Post
Where did you get this stat from? That is ridiculous...
Sorry...it's been a while since I last looked it up, and my memory failed me. It's 1.2 million according to this: www.census.gov/.../2012/.../12s0103.pdf

Old 03-19-2013, 11:59 PM   #14
Grande D

My Ride: Whiiiite BMW!
Didn't this happen several years ago?

i spend it while i can, if i run out i'll swallow all my meds
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:40 AM   #15
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
"Legally murdered" is a bit of an oxymoron.

Quote:

She's likely just saying whatever her attorney told her to say, or whatever will cast her in the best light. It's possible she's telling the truth, which isn't necessarily reassuring. But people say self-rationalizing stuff all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grande D View Post
Didn't this happen several years ago?
The acts happened over years and it seems to me this dude was arrested a long time ago. Guess it's just now coming to trial.

EDIT: He was arrested a little over 2 years ago: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_1...96-504083.html

Last edited by Xcelratr; 03-20-2013 at 02:42 AM.
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:52 AM   #16
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergo_the_mule View Post
Exactly, why would someone want to wait that long?

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:55 AM   #17
wasp9166
ima touching member

My Ride: 04 330i jet black
Send a message via Yahoo to wasp9166
fin guy is spineless

"if polarity comes from protons, does morality come from morons?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ330 View Post
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."
wasp9166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:41 AM   #18
BoogetyBoogety

My Ride: 2010 SL550
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
Defense lawyer Jack McMahon told jurors in opening statements Monday that ... [he] returned to the impoverished neighborhood after medical school when he could have struck it rich in the suburbs. He called the prosecution of his client, "a lynching."
Maybe they should sentence him to have his neck cut with scissors by a $10/hour "medical assistant."

BoogetyBoogety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:03 AM   #19
Carskibum

My Ride: E90
Send a message via AIM to Carskibum
Quote:

I guess I can challenge that if you work for an abortion facility, this stuff is more clinical than anything else. This is beyond messed up but where is the line drawn with abortion? Aren't they legal into the 2nd trimester?
Old 03-20-2013, 07:25 AM   #20
Top_Bunk

My Ride: Ram-Air Nylon
SPDSKTR gives his approval.
Top_Bunk is offline   Reply With Quote