E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-19-2013, 10:02 PM   #1
Haris330i

My Ride: 03 330i
Car shut off, White smoke, No smoke Help

I go start the car to warm up before work.
10 min later I get in and my check engine light is on. Thinking oh typical bmw again. Half a mile down the road I slow down to stop at the light, RPMs drop to 500, 200, and stalls. It would not start at all.Dip stick showed just a lil bit oil less than the mark, it burned some. My antifreeze light didn't come on but it was at the bottom, close to empty. Temperature never passed regular operating temp. 5 min later we get it to the side. No start after attempts to start. Just clicking. Try again after 10 minutes. Gave it some gas, roughly starts and starts smoking like a steam engine. Feels like the engine was flooded somehow or like cough cough start. White smoke out the exhaust. I shut it off. Hour later I go back to it. Starts right away, still smoking. I drive it home, leaving a cloud behind me (less than half a mile drive) I come home, less smoke, barely any. Couple say that the head gasket is gone. Can't believe this at all... Go to start it an hour ago, starts right away, cold, no smoke at all. Go to O Rileys to scan the check engine and got the second bank lean 2 code or PO1074, Something like that, I'm sure. Just that code. Drove the car back home. Still no smoke. I looked through some posts and I see that the CCV (oil separator) could be shot. I also can see some smoke or some oil sprayed in the back of the engine bay. I don't believe it's the head gasket. Hopefully not. What do I do? I'm going close to crazy. Needs advice. Thank youuu
Haris330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:08 PM   #2
wildirish317

My Ride: 2004 325Ci vert
You may want to contest the selection of the new pope. Seriously, I would suspect the battery. CCV may be the cause, but look at the battery first.

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Miller
I just don't know what I'd do with 560 hp that doesn't involve getting arrested.

Last edited by wildirish317; 03-19-2013 at 10:09 PM. Reason: spelling
wildirish317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:42 PM   #3
Haris330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildirish317 View Post
You may want to contest the selection of the new pope. Seriously, I would suspect the battery. CCV may be the cause, but look at the battery first.
Battery? What about the smoke? I don't think it's the battery. The car didn't wanna crank it over even when it was connected with jumper cables so it shouldn't be the battery. The main issue is that the car stalled and wouldn't start for 20-30 min and when it did , white smoke
Old 03-19-2013, 11:01 PM   #4
Haris330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lszlszx View Post
Unfortunately white smoke indicates coolant burning. The engine may not have turned over because of hydrolock, coolant in the combustion chamber. Did the coolant level drop significantly after this incident?
After the stall before it started again I opened the coolant tank and it was at the bottom, barely any in it. The coolant light never came on, so it probably happened quick. I've added coolant when I got home. I drove it hour 2 hours later to O Rileys to scan the check engine light, came back. Coolant at same level (max mark) , oil still the same. No smoke whatsoever. This is busting my brain cells.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:45 AM   #5
Haris330i

I'll have to check them but I replaced those in the fall sometime i believe or srping last year
Old 03-20-2013, 11:44 AM   #6
Haris330i

I drove it again, still some white smoke coming out, when I pop the engine bay I can see some smaller smoke noticeable coming from the back of the engine bay. I'll let it cool off and check the antifreeze and oil again. If antifreeze is getting burned, does it mean the head gasket could be bad,
Old 03-20-2013, 11:52 AM   #7
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
What were your outside temps in IA when the car first stalled?

Check the 3rd link in my signature, read carefully about the Mayo/Goo issues.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:14 PM   #8
Haris330i

They got down to 10, I see the mayo on the exhaust pipe, I'll read this , btw, less smoke, but still there. Just cheked the antifreeze and oil. Stayed the same, normal level.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:42 PM   #9
Haris330i

Yesterday was the first time it stalled. After we started it white smoke like crazy and it stopped between 5-10 later and still today some. The engine didn't wanna turn for a while when we first tried after stalling. Would I just need to replace the ccv or damage was already done to engine is what i fear the most. I've getting advice to basically get rid of the car, or trade it in. and the head gasket or mroe needs replacement,, I need advice. Stressing
Old 03-21-2013, 04:44 AM   #10
jfoj

You need to remove the oil fill cap and inspect the bottom of the oil fill cap and inside of the valve cover for Mayo/Goo, not the exhaust pipe.

If you read the 3rd link below in my signature and pay attention to the links on Mayo/Goo you will likely find out your CCV became frozen due to a bad thermostat/very short trips in sub freezing temperatures.

Your engine is probably fine, the smoke is due engine oil being sucked into the intake. The oil being sucked into the intake caused the engine to stall and probably hydro locked the engine and this is why when you turned the key the engine did not turn over for a period of time.

You need to replace the CCY system, remove the dipstick tube and clean out the double walled bottom section and probably need a new thermostat.

Then you need to MANAGE your Wintertime driving by checking the bottom of the oil fill cap weekly and make sure you get at least one 45+ minute drive on the car per week during sub freezing temps.

This issue is rather COMMON and most likely does not warrant getting rid of the car. DO NOT get talked into the pulling the cylinder head or valve cover at this point. You may need the valve cover/gasket replaced, but it does not sound like you had enough crank case pressure to break the valve cover/blow the valve cover gasket.

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

Old 03-21-2013, 12:07 PM   #11
Haris330i

That's what I was thinking, I don't wanna get ripped or downgrade basically for something that won't cost me a lot. But the thing is the antifreeze was almost gone when this happened and oil was pretty much the same, I'm sorry I'm not that bright when it comes to the inside of the engine, The ccv causes coolant to get in too somehow? Thanks for the eplanation. I'm going to a mechanic to get advice from him to, he's been working on european brands for quite some time
Old 03-21-2013, 01:03 PM   #12
jfoj

Oil was likely sucked in engine. Coolant is always low on these cars. Level is supposed to be set at 68F. At 10F between small leaks and coolant contraction the level was likely just at the bottom of the expansion tank. If you top off coolant and it stays up to level, do not worry about it.

Likely the fan sensor in the lower radiator hose is leaking, the O-rings all leak. O-ring part number in my signature.

Last edited by jfoj; 03-21-2013 at 01:03 PM.