E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 04-06-2013, 02:07 PM   #81
sfcjetjr

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i
I bet 99% of my Bmw is made in Germany, by Germans.
sfcjetjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:11 PM   #82
sfcjetjr

I live in Florida and we grow millions of tons of citrus products, but when going to the grocery store, why do I see oranges from other countries, along with other produce from Europe and Mexico.
Old 04-06-2013, 02:12 PM   #83
VaderDave
Invictus

My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
I think a lot of people are mistaking "not produced here" for "cannot be produced here." If the US decided to be self-sufficient within its own borders, it could be done in fairly short order. As has been said, most of the reason things are produced outside of the US is because it is cheaper to hire labor in other countries.
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:14 PM   #84
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post
I think a lot of people are mistaking "not produced here" for "cannot be produced here." If the US decided to be self-sufficient within its own borders, it could be done in fairly short order. As has been said, most of the reason things are produced outside of the US is because it is cheaper to hire labor in other countries.
Unfortunately, the side-effect of that is the loss of tooling, loss of labor force (trained laborforce) and general loss of knowhow (if the job has been done elsewhere long enough.)

IMHO, the US can absolutely be self sufficient, but it would take years for everything to start running like clockwork if the rest of the world was cut from the US.
Old 04-06-2013, 02:15 PM   #85
sfcjetjr

True that Vader!
Old 04-06-2013, 02:20 PM   #86
sfcjetjr

I spent 2 years in the most forward deployed inf battalion in northern Germany during the Cold War, 18 months in the closest inf unit to the 38th parallel, 3 years between Iraq, Egypt, and Israel with the MFO. So been there done and seen that! We control airspace first, then ground forces move in. That's how we operate.
Old 04-06-2013, 02:21 PM   #87
Raymond42262

My Ride: Is German
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockMan View Post
Regardless of all the BS in the last few pages, the facts are there...

North Korea is threatening the US and South Korea and in turn the rest of the world. They are ignoring previously agreed on treaties and are trying their best to make weapons to destroy other countries.

Should we just wait until they launch? Or maybe until they launch and its in an allied's airspace? Or maybe we wait until it actually hits an allied? Or wait until two actually hit? Or until there are at least 100 dead? or 1000? or ?

Just bomb the sheit out of them before the war starts.

The last person to openly threaten the U.S. and our allies with nuclear war was Nikita Kruschev in October 1962, and we know how that story almost ended.
Old 04-06-2013, 02:21 PM   #88
badfast

My Ride: A Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Thats where you and I differ. I don't believe in what politicians like to call "rebuilding a nation." And yes, if by counterinsurgency you mean going after terrorists, then I have been in the heart of it.
counterinsurgency requires more than "going after terrorists".
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:31 PM   #89
GlockMan

My Ride: Suburban LT 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcjetjr View Post
I live in Florida and we grow millions of tons of citrus products, but when going to the grocery store, why do I see oranges from other countries, along with other produce from Europe and Mexico.
It's called "comparative trade advantage."

Just because we buy from other countries, doesn't mean we have to.

As far as your oranges go, lets say it costs us $2 per orange here, we may buy them from Mexico for $1 and sell to Canada for $3.

Ranting about Panny plasmas, Canon cameras, Glocks, BlueNile, and HDMI cables on a BMW board since 2005.

2007 Chevy Suburban LT 4x4 with Nav/Bose/DVD/JL (works for me)
1968 Ford Mustang with Polk/ADS (my first car)

2007 Lexus GS350 with every option
2000 BMW DINAN M5
2001 BMW 330ci

Last edited by GlockMan; 04-06-2013 at 02:32 PM.
GlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:38 PM   #90
VaderDave
Invictus

My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
Quote:
Unfortunately, the side-effect of that is the loss of tooling, loss of labor force (trained laborforce) and general loss of knowhow (if the job has been done elsewhere long enough.)

IMHO, the US can absolutely be self sufficient, but it would take years for everything to start running like clockwork if the rest of the world was cut from the US.
I dunno about "years," but it would take a little while, for sure. I doubt that we've lost too much general know-how--even for products that we don't produce here, we help set up the manufacturing processes and, in many cases, supervise them closely in other countries.

Either way: hopefully we never have to find out.
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:42 PM   #91
sfcjetjr

Good point Glock...
Old 04-06-2013, 02:50 PM   #92
GlockMan

My Ride: Suburban LT 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcjetjr View Post
Good point Glock...
"In economics, comparative advantage refers to the ability of a party to produce a particular good or service at a lower marginal and opportunity cost over another. Even if one country is more efficient in the production of all goods (absolute advantage in all goods) than the other, both countries will still gain by trading with each other, as long as they have different relative efficiencies.

For example, if, using machinery, a worker in one country can produce both shoes and shirts at 6 per hour, and a worker in a country with less machinery can produce either 2 shoes or 4 shirts in an hour, each country can gain from trade because their internal trade-offs between shoes and shirts are different. The less-efficient country has a comparative advantage in shirts, so it finds it more efficient to produce shirts and trade them to the more-efficient country for shoes. Without trade, its opportunity cost per shoe was 2 shirts; by trading, its cost per shoe can reduce to as low as 1 shirt depending on how much trade occurs (since the more-efficient country has a 1:1 trade-off). The more-efficient country has a comparative advantage in shoes, so it can gain in efficiency by moving some workers from shirt-production to shoe-production and trading some shoes for shirts. Without trade, its cost to make a shirt was 1 shoe; by trading, its cost per shirt can go as low as 1/2 shoe depending on how much trade occurs.

The net benefits to each country are called the gains from trade."

Ranting about Panny plasmas, Canon cameras, Glocks, BlueNile, and HDMI cables on a BMW board since 2005.

2007 Chevy Suburban LT 4x4 with Nav/Bose/DVD/JL (works for me)
1968 Ford Mustang with Polk/ADS (my first car)

2007 Lexus GS350 with every option
2000 BMW DINAN M5
2001 BMW 330ci

Last edited by GlockMan; 04-06-2013 at 02:51 PM.
GlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:11 PM   #93
5Serious

My Ride: 2002 525i
Haha spot on glockman. Takes me back to micro economics... Or was that macro? I went to PSU so class was secondary... Oops.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Bimmer App
5Serious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:33 PM   #94
Act of God

My Ride: 3.5 Liters of fury
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
Finally, which people deserve to be punched in the face? The millions of people that live in stark poverty and are fed nothing but lies from their government with little to no contact from the world south of the 38th parallel?
Honestly, eff 'em. They have free will.

“They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns then it will be through the bullet.” - Saul Alinsky, quoting Lenin
Act of God is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:01 PM   #95
MDydinanM

My Ride: is a ///M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
They have free will.
If only it were that simple.
MDydinanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:03 PM   #96
AlpinTXiX

My Ride: 03 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDydinanM View Post
Don't disagree with you, but never said they weren't unbeatable. I said we shouldn't underestimate them - despite their inferior military capabilities. Like you mentioned, they do have a ton of troops, and we should also take into account intangibles such as their military culture, esprit de corps, and willpower/will to fight.
Oh I didn't mean to say that you were. I Just don't think we should view them as that much of a danger as they're only really dangerous under certain conditions. But I agree in no way underestimate them. I mean, look what happened last time we dismissed a potential enemy
Old 04-06-2013, 04:28 PM   #97
MDydinanM

My Ride: is a ///M
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpinTXiX View Post
Oh I didn't mean to say that you were. I Just don't think we should view them as that much of a danger as they're only really dangerous under certain conditions. But I agree in no way underestimate them. I mean, look what happened last time we dismissed a potential enemy
No worries.
MDydinanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:54 PM   #98
Act of God

My Ride: 3.5 Liters of fury
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDydinanM View Post
If only it were that simple.
Not my chair, not my problem. That's what I say

“They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns then it will be through the bullet.” - Saul Alinsky, quoting Lenin
Act of God is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:55 PM   #99
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
Honestly, eff 'em. They have free will.
Dangerous thinking my friend. Free will is often not enough. I definitely see your point, but when the populace is completely unarmed, it really isn't easy. The interesting thing about NK (and relating to your point) is that a lot of their defectors are actually on duty military. This does signify that many of their armed forces are not "down with the cause" and if the people were to revolt, there would not be THAT much opposition. A lot of the soldiers (not enough to win anyway) would not fight against the people.

On the flipside, their situation was the same as we had in the USSR. Completely controlled propaganda, and if you try anything, off to Siberia you go. My father was threatened 4 times to 'cooperate' or else. Having a wife, kids, and family makes things difficult because they went after them as well, not just the subject at hand.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:00 PM   #100
badfast

My Ride: A Car
Quote:
Dangerous thinking my friend. Free will is often not enough. I definitely see your point, but when the populace is completely unarmed, it really isn't easy. The interesting thing about NK (and relating to your point) is that a lot of their defectors are actually on duty military. This does signify that many of their armed forces are not "down with the cause" and if the people were to revolt, there would not be THAT much opposition. A lot of the soldiers (not enough to win anyway) would not fight against the people.

On the flipside, their situation was the same as we had in the USSR. Completely controlled propaganda, and if you try anything, off to Siberia you go. My father was threatened 4 times to 'cooperate' or else. Having a wife, kids, and family makes things difficult because they went after them as well, not just the subject at hand.
You don't understand the Korea situation much at all.
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote