E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-14-2013, 12:51 PM   #81
kaboo0m

My Ride: 04 325xi
Send a message via AIM to kaboo0m
very XI autotragic specific issue. steering coupler. cannot understand why but a reputable BMW mechanic on this forum identified the issue and even reported to BMW NA a few years ago. replaced pretty much the entire drivetrain to figure that one out.
kaboo0m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:58 PM   #82
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaboo0m View Post
very XI autotragic specific issue. steering coupler. cannot understand why but a reputable BMW mechanic on this forum identified the issue and even reported to BMW NA a few years ago. replaced pretty much the entire drivetrain to figure that one out.
That was while driving not at idle. Also, Xi coupler is much different than RWD coupler.

Last edited by SamDoe1; 05-14-2013 at 01:59 PM.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:44 PM   #83
jonnie325xi

My Ride: 2004 325 XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashinc View Post
Thanks Jonnie325xi, sounds like a plan. What did that job cost you?
I did the work myself and parts were @ 150 bucks,
That did not do much to fix the vibration, the motor mounts were the greatest improvement.
I have done front axels, control arms, all the front end bushings, tie rod ends, steering u-joint, guibo, drive shaft support mount and bearing. But the one that made the best improvement were the motor mounts.
I can sit at a light and read my watch now!
jonnie325xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:17 AM   #84
ashinc

My Ride: E46 325i Touring 02
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnie325xi View Post
I did the work myself and parts were @ 150 bucks,
That did not do much to fix the vibration, the motor mounts were the greatest improvement.
I have done front axels, control arms, all the front end bushings, tie rod ends, steering u-joint, guibo, drive shaft support mount and bearing. But the one that made the best improvement were the motor mounts.
I can sit at a light and read my watch now!
thanks for reply and lol @ "I can sit at a light and read my watch now". My vibration not that bad, I also assume that the motor size plays a big role, I doubt this happens in a 318i.
ashinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:46 AM   #85
jasonbimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330xi
it also can be the cylinders are not firing the same anymore being that many years of wear and tear (burning oil is a sign).
jasonbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:54 AM   #86
jonnie325xi

My Ride: 2004 325 XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbimmer View Post
it also can be the cylinders are not firing the same anymore being that many years of wear and tear (burning oil is a sign).
I just replaced the fuel pump, plugs and coil packs. At 165,000 OEM pump I felt I was on borrowed time, Compression was even across all 6 cylinders and the old plugs that came out all looked to be burning properly.
Does not burn a drop between 5000 mi oil changes.
I was looking at a 07 530XI but I figure a few more parts in this one and its NEW!
jonnie325xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:59 PM   #87
djbradle

My Ride: 2002 325 xit
Crazy vibration while idling in D or R

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaboo0m View Post
So this would cause vibration at idle? My upper joint certainly has play, that knock knock when the wheel is turned side to side. It's about 150 bucks though and I wouldn't do that without doing the double cardan joint below as well, another 150 bucks.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
djbradle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:01 PM   #88
djbradle

Crazy vibration while idling in D or R

Quote:
I was looking at a 07 530XI but I figure a few more parts in this one and its NEW!
Seriously. You have one joint done that I haven't done and now it's hard to get rid of this car because of it! I've replaced so much now at 170k. . .

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-15-2013, 08:55 PM   #89
Big Rick

My Ride: 325Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbradle View Post
Seriously. You have one joint done that I haven't done and now it's hard to get rid of this car because of it! I've replaced so much now at 170k. . .
I kind of know what you mean... BUT... The BMWs aren't "disposable" cars like a Ford Focus or Chevy Cavalier. With a little PM these stay driving sweet and strong for 300k miles.

Figure it this way... For the price of a down payment on a new car... You can make your E46 new again, for the most part. If you take care of it... It will take care of you!

NWS and Advertising Removed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by choxor View Post
You don't outgrow stupid.
Big Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:09 AM   #90
jasonbimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Rick View Post
I kind of know what you mean... BUT... The BMWs aren't "disposable" cars like a Ford Focus or Chevy Cavalier. With a little PM these stay driving sweet and strong for 300k miles.

Figure it this way... For the price of a down payment on a new car... You can make your E46 new again, for the most part. If you take care of it... It will take care of you!
yes you can make your BMW new again but unless you never gonna sell it, you will never make the money you putting into it back.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:10 AM   #91
jasonbimmer

Quote:
I just replaced the fuel pump, plugs and coil packs. At 165,000 OEM pump I felt I was on borrowed time, Compression was even across all 6 cylinders and the old plugs that came out all looked to be burning properly.
Does not burn a drop between 5000 mi oil changes.
I am not sure really. when I had my 330xi it was the same. vibration in gear and smooth when not.
I think it has something to do with having an AWD configuration the torque of the engine is being transmitted to the front of the car.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:31 AM   #92
association16

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbradle View Post
Maybe something to do with the output shaft, torque converter engaging, front input shaft from the transfer case to the front axle before engaging . . .only seems to affect xi's. If someone has changed their transfer case bushing and can attest to this as a solution out there that would be grand.
How much would you be looking at paying out for this kind of repair/replacement in money and time? I am planning a nice long weekend to get some stuff done on my xi and I might just do it along with everything else.
association16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:28 PM   #93
djbradle

It's a wash unless the vibration can be guaranteed to an affected part and I mean absolutely attributing to that one or more parts. I just deal with it now. It's not that big a deal and I'm usually such a perfectionist that I take issue with any and all imperfections. At 172k and going strong it's a very smooth ride with an excellent original BMW suspension feel do to my replacing almost everything. The engine is smooth. The ride is just like I want it so I figure to keep it running at this point to save for the next ride in a year or two.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:33 PM   #94
djbradle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbimmer View Post
yes you can make your BMW new again but unless you never gonna sell it, you will never make the money you putting into it back.
I agree with what you and Jasonbimmer relate too. If the lower door trims were not starting to rot I would hinge on your assement Big Rick. Everything BUT that show that this car will run forever. I could find the doors but hundreds of dollars I am not willing to put down at this point. Into the ground it goes. (I never follow through on that claim though )
Old 06-29-2013, 09:51 AM   #95
CantDrive55

My Ride: 325xi
Bought my 2004 with 133K, now at 181K. Had this same annoying vibration problem when stopped and in gear. Replaced motor mounts, front axles and those helped some, but the problem didn't go away completely until I replaced the tires that came on the car with a new set (Michelin Primacy MXV4) on my 16" stock rims. Good luck finding your solution, I would have had to trade the car it annoyed me so much.
CantDrive55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:59 AM   #96
ashinc

Re: Crazy vibration while idling in D or R

Okay I am always open to new ideas, but tires? The vibrations discussed in this topic comes from engine vibrations particularly on standstill. Can we just keep that the central focus.

Sent from my GT-P3100 using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 06-29-2013, 01:06 PM   #97
CantDrive55

My Ride: 325xi
Just relaying my personal experience and how vibrations in my case under those same circumstances were resolved. I can't explain it, it's just the way it was. Good day.
CantDrive55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 01:52 PM   #98
ashinc

Re: Crazy vibration while idling in D or R

Thanks for the share, I didn't mean anything by it, just trying to keep the focus linear. This is really a frustrated topic for everybody who has this problem.

Sent from my GT-P3100 using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 12-26-2013, 02:24 PM   #99
snowpunk84

My Ride: 03 330Xi
Any updates?
snowpunk84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 09:38 PM   #100
djbradle

Not from me . . sold it three months ago