E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-23-2013, 05:27 PM   #1
Jaystu

My Ride: 323i se
323i won't start!!!

As I was driving earlier this evening I caught my front left wheel on a rock, this blew out my left tyre and subsequently and annoyingly two of my passenger airbags!!! (Which was completely unnecessary!!). The car now doesn't start off the key but will bump start (the battery light is on so there is no power from the alternator).

Is this a fuse or a fusible link??

I'm furious as there was no damage done to the car what so ever!! Only the wheel was damaged and now half of my interior is blown out due to the airbags (I can't hear in my left ear!) and the stupid thing will not start!

Please can somebody help!
Jaystu is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:06 PM   #2
joebox

My Ride: 2001 325i
bmw side impact airbags are triggerhappy. Did the rock debris hit your alternator? it is low on the engine. check belt as well
joebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:21 PM   #3
montikme

My Ride: BMW 325xi
Go to your battery. On the positive terminal is a srs cable that blew.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Bimmer App
montikme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:22 PM   #4
Jaystu

Very trigger happy!!! The rock literally caught the outside of the wheel, it pretty much killed the wheel but did no damage to the car itself so there is no way it could've got anywhere near the alternator, plus the car won't actually start from the key so the problem lies I'm guessing with some sort of accident failsafe fuse.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:29 PM   #5
montikme

Old 03-23-2013, 06:31 PM   #6
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
see battery safety terminal in trunk behind the liner on battery side...realoem.com vehicle electric

But, I believe that the car won't start after an airbag deployment. I could be wrong, but I think you need to have the code cleared by something other than a peak reader...you need a 'real' computer program...see regional forum and ask for help there...and wait...someone will confirm or deny my guess.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:33 PM   #7
joebox

also i read that airbags trigger an explosion in the black box on top of the battery connection to break the power cable and cut high current down in a collision. Mine didn't when the airbags went off for no reason but i bought mine used. dont know if it was rigged by previous owner as the black box is not cheap
Old 03-23-2013, 06:38 PM   #8
joebox

mine started both after the right side blew and then months later when the left went. no reset and he already started his with jumper cables so probly just needs batt fuse thing
Old 03-23-2013, 06:38 PM   #9
montikme

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1364078314968.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	496732  
Old 03-24-2013, 03:35 PM   #10
Jaystu

As it turns out when an airbag is deployed there's a section of fusible cable inline with the positive cable from the battery that automatically blows as a failsafe. New cable ordered off eBay for 30.
A lot of drama for a burst tyre!!
Old 03-26-2013, 03:30 PM   #11
Jaystu

Just pushed the connection back into the black box, took 2 seconds and it's fine again. F**k sake!!!!