E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-25-2013, 07:54 AM   #1
bostonsthename

My Ride: 2003 Jet Black 330xi
Post XI Specific Steering Guibo Replacement

So I have my '04 330XI with 132xxx and was having a sticky steering wheel issue (i.e. It would get hung up while turning and then smooth out, and it got progressively worse). Well I narrowed down the problem to be the double u-joint in the steering column with a guibo (rubber flex disc). Decided to tackle the project yesterday morning and had it out and the new one in in just about an hour. I figured I would do a quick DIY since there aren't many threads on doing this on the XI's.

1. Jack up car in front and but jack stands under each side. Then Remove the driver's side wheel and I also removed the front-most plastic shield under the car.

2. Pop the hood and remove the air box, MAF, Upper intake hose (the one with the F-connector attached to it), cabin air filter and the tray/housing it sits in, the DISA (i found it to be in the way of removing the next item) and the black heat shield that is next to the brake reservoir. This part lets you get better access to the U-joint for pulling it off of the lover part of the column.

3. With the car jacked up, you can turn the steering column by hand which makes it easier to access the 2 E-12 inverted torx heads. Get under the car and using an E-12 socket with a long extension you should be able to easily reach and unscrew the 2 bolts.

4. Once the bolts are out from the top, grab onto the knuckle (u-joint) and wiggle/pull it up and off of the bottom part of the steering column. Once that is off, then slide it off of the telescopic part of the steering column.

5. Installation of the new one is just the reverse order, except I put the joint on the lower column first (matches up with the spline) and then attached the upper (telescopic) column.

Hope this helps anyone who had the same issues I did.
bostonsthename is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:20 AM   #2
lovesm3s

My Ride: '03 330xi 5 speed
Thanks for the write up. Been wanting to do this but haven't had time. Glad to know its about an hour. I've been just spraying wd40 which has worked
lovesm3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:51 PM   #3
TR4G-

My Ride: '01 325xi
Nice DIY. How was pulling the coupler off the rack for you? It was mad hard for me and drew a fair amount of curses from my mouth before I got it. Also I could have sworn it was an E10 not 12 for the pinch bolt
Old 03-25-2013, 02:07 PM   #4
bostonsthename

I had the e12 from when I tried to do the starter and that's the one that fit. At first the coupler was being a pain then I removed the stuff I listed and went in from the top

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Bimmer App
Old 03-26-2013, 11:28 AM   #5
ixtoxi

My Ride: 02 330xi, 88 325iX
Did this take care of your steering issue?
ixtoxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:31 PM   #6
djbradle

My Ride: 2002 325 xit
My issue is with the U-joint before the firewall on the lower joint assembly itself. Would this write-up give access to that proximal joint? My double universal is perfectly fine but I may replace it too just for PM purposes. About $285 is the cheapest I can find for both.

Did anyone have vibration issues based on either of these two parts? Still tracking down this issue. I have the thump thump sound back and forth and this is with the proximal joint but I can't determine if the assembly is causing vibrations on the highway.
djbradle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:48 PM   #7
bostonsthename

Yeah, she's driving so smooth again, I had to steer with 2 hands before because it got so bad.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Bimmer App
Old 09-19-2013, 04:13 PM   #8
djbradle

Just Bumping this thread.

I was going to buy both the upper joint assembly and the double universal joint at the rack side. I am not having any binding issues as OP primarily had issue with. I believe the highway vibration in some respect, notwithstanding everything else, is caused by both these joints being worn. I removed the airbox to reach down there and the upper joint definitely has play knocking back and forth as I turn it and the lower joint also has some play.

Did anyone who replaced one or both of these column assemblies have vibration issues that were solved? How was the change with highway driving? Did it make a night and day difference? Thanks so much
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	upper.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	527287   Click image for larger version

Name:	double shaft joint.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	527288  

Last edited by djbradle; 09-19-2013 at 04:16 PM.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:22 PM   #9
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Wait.

There is absolutely no reason to remove all of the things in #2 above.

It can all be done from the bottom after removing the second underpanel shield.

Last edited by Kubica; 09-21-2013 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Autocorrect
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:36 AM   #10
jonnie325xi

My Ride: 2004 325 XI
Great write up!
When I did mine I loosened the telescopic steering wheel lever and pulled the steering wheel back towards the driver seat,
made it easier to work the u joint off.
jonnie325xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:55 AM   #11
bostonsthename

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnie325xi View Post
Great write up!
When I did mine I loosened the telescopic steering wheel lever and pulled the steering wheel back towards the driver seat,
made it easier to work the u joint off.
Yes I Did the same made it much easier.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:16 PM   #12
djbradle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubica View Post
Wait.

There is absolutely me reason to remove all of the thing in #2 above.

It can all be done from the bottom after removing the second underpanel shield.
I'm a little confused by this statement Kubica. Are you responding to me?

To check the Double joint itself it was easiest to remove the airbox. If I went to replace it then I would go the usual route.

Again, did anyone get a resolution to these questions:
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbradle View Post
Did anyone who replaced one or both of these column assemblies have vibration issues that were solved? How was the change with highway driving? Did it make a night and day difference? Thanks so much
Old 09-21-2013, 02:00 PM   #13
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbradle View Post
To check the Double joint itself it was easiest to remove the airbox. If I went to replace it then I would go the usual route.
Got it.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote