E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Home Improvement

Home Improvement
Home Improvement ideas, help, DIYs, and show room. Got a home improvement project you need help with or want to share. Post your project now!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-25-2013, 03:42 PM   #1
SLVR JDM

My Ride: reclining rear seats
Painting steps - don't want to sand varnished wood

I'm getting a new carpet runner down the middle of our staircase in a few weeks, but I'm going to paint the risers and spindles white, as pictured below. The risers, in case you're wondering, are the vertical pieces.

The steps are all wood and varnished right now. I don't want to sand them, just prime and paint. I also hate using oil based primers and haven't had good results with them even when I've sanded, so I'm looking for some sort of latex primer that will not come off and requires no sanding.

Any suggestions? I just need a great primer for this job.

In the end, it will look like this but with carpet down the middle.

** Removed **

Last edited by SLVR JDM; 03-25-2013 at 03:43 PM.
SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:32 PM   #2
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Go to Home Depot and ask them what the best latex primer they have is? Make sure you give each riser and spindle a good cleaning with soap and mild water and you should be good to go.

I don't think you'll need to sand unless they have chips and bumps in them, in which case you should sand anyway. Try and get satin or semi gloss paint for at least the risers so that they can be easily washed and/or scrubbed to get dirt off.

Last edited by SamDoe1; 03-25-2013 at 04:32 PM.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:38 PM   #3
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
Oh..... you'll be sanding. OR don't bother

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
I agree with JonJon.
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:18 PM   #4
zbeam3

My Ride: VQ35
Do not half ass it.

If you don't want to do it right and sand or strip the varnish then sand, the only other alternative is to purchase new spindles, risers and treads. Treads are about 25 bucks each, risers under 10, and spindles can be had for $3 ea.

You are going to pay one way or another, labor...or materials, or both.

I redid my complete staircase from carpet to hardwood. Sanded the railings, stained and finished. Stained, finished and installed new treads, painted and installed new risers and installed new spindles.

The worst part was removing the poly from the railings and sanding, your treads and risers should be a piece of cake.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	497168  

Last edited by zbeam3; 03-25-2013 at 09:19 PM.
zbeam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:15 AM   #5
SLVR JDM

My Ride: reclining rear seats
I spoke with Sherwin Williams last night and they are claiming that if I use their new multi purpose primer (latex based), a light sanding is all that is needed for a good bond. I'm sure I'll end up sanding some, but I'd rather not have to take the varnish completely off. It probably will just take a few more hours to do it the right way, so I should just suck it up and deal with it

I'm sure touch ups are inevitable anyway. I might cover it with a clearcoat over the white so that it is a little more durable. I did a bathroom cabinet that way and it seems to be more durable as a result.

** Removed **
SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote