E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-28-2013, 10:18 PM   #61
BeMyWhip

My Ride: 01 BMW 330ci
hahaha drifting huh? lol
Old 03-28-2013, 10:46 PM   #62
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaros View Post
Here is a short video for you and please tell me how much body roll you can see in this video... DSC off here, but think about it being on, on a track, in between cones...
that's not going to show sway or worse yet the bounce doing burnouts. the dangerous bounce is the one that happens while going fast on a turn and any little bump sets your off. especially those between the connecting joints on freeway overpasses.

hope your rear subframe has been done on that poor 328i
Old 03-28-2013, 10:49 PM   #63
Barbaros

My Ride: 02 TIAG M5
I know what you mean but never faced that yet lol. Subframe is reinforced and also i have LSD. The car is no joke. Thinking about doing a V10 swap but it might get too complicated, if not i will go with the S54 like everyone did and supercharge it, I haven't decided yet.

Last edited by Barbaros; 03-28-2013 at 10:49 PM.
Barbaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:16 PM   #64
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Your ability to do burnouts in a parking lot does not demonstrate your reduced handling capabilities after stancing your car. With a ride height that low, that means you would need super aggressive spring rates to match. That means your car will be unpredictable, twitchy, and excessively stiff. So either that's the case or your car's suspension bottoms out over bumps. Your car's roll center is also tremendously impacted rendering your ability to gain camber in a corner almost non-existent. In other words, you majorly f*cked your handling. There are no upsides to being that low other than you might get more thumbs up or "dats tite yo" at meets.

Just coming at you with the truth. There's a lot more science to a car's handling capability (especially a strut-based BMW suspension) than you think.

Besides all that, it's dangerous. Unless you transplanted M fenders onto your car, I'll bet that your camber had to be massively adjusted to fit those likely oversized wheels. I'm sure you're a cool guy and all, but I really hope you and other kids like you grow out of that phase. It really is embarrassing

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:30 PM   #65
Alex323Ci

Quote:
I know what you mean but never faced that yet lol. Subframe is reinforced and also i have LSD. The car is no joke.
who told you that you have a LSD? which one?
that rear is not performing like a LSD, i had a LSD on my non-M
Old 03-28-2013, 11:31 PM   #66
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
who told you that you have a LSD? which one?
that rear is not performing like a LSD, i had a LSD on my non-M
The video only appears to show one wheel making most of the smoke... I don't get the point of the LSD (if he has one) on his car anyway since... well... stance

OVER A MILLION VIEWS

Last edited by Mango; 03-28-2013 at 11:31 PM.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:34 PM   #67
BeMyWhip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
Your ability to do burnouts in a parking lot does not demonstrate your reduced handling capabilities after stancing your car. With a ride height that low, that means you would need super aggressive spring rates to match. That means your car will be unpredictable, twitchy, and excessively stiff. So either that's the case or your car's suspension bottoms out over bumps. Your car's roll center is also tremendously impacted rendering your ability to gain camber in a corner almost non-existent. In other words, you majorly f*cked your handling. There are no upsides to being that low other than you might get more thumbs up or "dats tite yo" at meets.

Just coming at you with the truth. There's a lot more science to a car's handling capability (especially a strut-based BMW suspension) than you think.

Besides all that, it's dangerous. Unless you transplanted M fenders onto your car, I'll bet that your camber had to be massively adjusted to fit those likely oversized wheels. I'm sure you're a cool guy and all, but I really hope you and other kids like you grow out of that phase. It really is embarrassing
simply putting this...
very sad!!!
some people should just lease a sentra!!!
Old 03-28-2013, 11:41 PM   #68
Barbaros

Let's just lock this thread.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:21 AM   #69
BeMyWhip

Quote:
Haha, not yet I got another solution for you...
lol. wonder if Mango will approve haha:
here is is, a moat sytle door like the castles had.
notice the bike on top lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	moat.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	497656  

Last edited by BeMyWhip; 03-29-2013 at 12:22 AM.
BeMyWhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:58 AM   #70
Barbaros

I love how you draw! That's mad work though. Since we re there we might widen out the gutter and throw some crocodiles in there. And bam, perfect security as well lol. It's really a great idea but I don't have the skills I think.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:32 AM   #71
serdar255

My Ride: '01 325ci / '90 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
young euro car
It's a silly phase
I thought we were friends mango.

For coding, custom shift knobs, and vinyl stickers: PM me
serdar255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:50 AM   #72
Alex323Ci

Quote:
i'm sorry but i wasn't trying to sound mean. you are polite, rational and i really like they way you haven't come back in this thread like all cursing and name calling. that's all to often the rebuttal of the younger members. you've joked and been real good about all the stuff.

but did you mean to say you already have a LSD to install, which is my mistake as i thought you were stating you had it in for that vid. or do you have a limited slip diff in that vid? if so which brand?

anyway after that back to the ramps. i agree it appears to be deep like that as there is a drainage gate there. just be careful not to clog that up with what ever method you use. i'm sure you can come up with something
that people wouldn't mess with and allow more clearance going up down it.

Last edited by Alex323Ci; 03-29-2013 at 01:56 AM.
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:09 AM   #73
Barbaros

Quote:
i'm sorry but i wasn't trying to sound mean. you are polite, rational and i really like they way you haven't come back in this thread like all cursing and name calling. that's all to often the rebuttal of the younger members. you've joked and been real good about all the stuff.

but did you mean to say you already have a LSD to install, which is my mistake as i thought you were stating you had it in for that vid. or do you have a limited slip diff in that vid? if so which brand?
Yeah well we're all adults here, no need to argue over BS. I have never got into an argument face to face with someone over these kinda stuff but it always happens online. So I don't bother at all, its normal. I do have an M3 differential swap, swapped out of a wrecked M3 with 50k miles. It feels like it works, or maybe it doesn't work properly, I don't really care since I am beginning to feel like that was a waste of money. The video doesn't do it justice either, it looked like the diff was pretty much open for the most part of the video.

I am visiting Home Depot tomorrow lol. Gonna try some plywood first.

Last edited by Barbaros; 03-29-2013 at 02:12 AM.
Barbaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:20 AM   #74
Alex323Ci

^ maybe i just looked at the vid too quickly to see it. anyway enjoy it if it's installed.

Home Depot it is, happy hunting and GL
Old 03-29-2013, 02:21 AM   #75
Barbaros

Quote:
^ maybe i just looked at the vid too quickly to see it. anyway enjoy it if it's installed.

Home Depot it is, happy hunting and GL
Thank you.
Old 03-30-2013, 02:52 AM   #76
JasonSmithed

My Ride: 00 323i
You got close to that street light. Scary.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Bimmer App
Old 03-30-2013, 07:09 AM   #77
dknightd

My Ride: 2002 330 cic
Looks like you're having fun 3/4" plywood might work - get exterior grade You might need to reinforce a bit to prevent flex.

Or just move to a different place

The problem with a lowered car is - there are places you just cannot drive.

Have (responsible, safe) fun

edit: don't mind mango. I'm sure he did some things when he was younger he might look back on and think were not so smart (or maybe not). Most of us did. He is just sharing his experience trying to prevent you from making the same mistakes. This is of course the right thing to do - cars are dangerous - they kill more people than guns do.

Last edited by dknightd; 03-30-2013 at 07:23 AM.
dknightd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:32 AM   #78
Sweetness
E46 is strong with this one

My Ride: '01 325i
This thread is just a coming of age moment for you in realizing that you're one bump away from destroying your car. And that bump is not more than 2 feet from where you start your day.
Sweetness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:49 AM   #79
BeMyWhip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetness View Post
This thread is just a coming of age moment for you in realizing that you're one bump away from destroying your car. And that bump is not more than 2 feet from where you start your day.
I think someone bumped their head...
Old 04-04-2013, 10:11 PM   #80
dirty vert

My Ride: 2001 330ci
Bump.... Get it, or don't.. Have you looked into an air ride suspension? It probrably won't have the same feel as we are used to, but it is definitely adjustable. Hydros are to bouncy, and air shocks just suck.. Years ago I ran wide tires on a lowered Nissan pickup..you could get your finger stuck between the fender and tire (static drop), dragged the frame quite bit at times(no ground effects -broke them off).
Anyway, I'd say 1/2" steel plate-one its heavy as hell, and two it won't rot...ever.

Last edited by dirty vert; 04-04-2013 at 10:12 PM.
dirty vert is offline   Reply With Quote