E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2013, 11:07 AM   #21
alexapps1

My Ride: BMW 330i E46 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by hacksawmark View Post
Don't forget, the wider and lower profile the tires are, the more it will tramline. Not really a fault, just the nature of the beast. Good article about the subject on TireRack.com. You've got a lot of money and time invested into this. You may be at this point, just chasing a ghost.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=47
I know low profile wide tyres can tramline and something to always bear in mind. I have always had the same wheels and 30k miles ago it was nothing like it is now.

As I don't know how I can test if it is the rack or upper uj (and I do think it will be one of these), I think I will try swapping the rack next weekend with a recon one and I'll post back the results.
alexapps1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:14 PM   #22
swawrench

My Ride: 2002 325i, 94 318ic
any updates?
swawrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:06 AM   #23
alexapps1

Ordered steering rack on Tuesday so I'll let you know when I've fitted it. Fingers crossed it fixes it!
Old 05-09-2013, 03:10 AM   #24
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
The list you post is nowhere near everything. you've left out at least 17 items. See my suspension link. Further, you've negelcted the inner tie rods. Make sure you get a proper alignment. Tires also play a big role. As mentioned, if you are on low-profile tires, the car is supposed to follow the road to some degree. If you are expecting a fully soft and compliant ride/handling nature, then you've bought the wrong car. GL

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:17 AM   #25
alexapps1

I thought I'd replaced the tierod section as far as I can without replacing the steering rack? Did you see this picture that I posted? That shows the tierod sections that I replaced. Is there another part that I have missed?

Would a hunter alignment count as a proper alignment?

Looking through your suspension thread I can see there are a couple of parts that you have said to replace that I haven't as yet. I haven't done the front and rear swaybar bushings yet. Would you say these are more likely to cause my issues than the steering rack? When you did yours did you use powerflex bushings or just standard replacments?

From reading other threads, certainly the fronts seem pretty easy to do. I'll change these too when I do the steering rack.

Thank you.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:27 AM   #26
seobookmarkings

My Ride: SX4
great post..
seobookmarkings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:04 AM   #27
alexapps1

Quick update;

Replaced the steering rack. (Wasn't too difficult, apart from putting the torx bolt through the coupler the wrong way). Still no joy.

I spent the day at both BMW and Imperial Tyres (Swindon) yesterday, they both agreed there was a problem but neither could suggest a solution. BMW said that the car was still pulling left ever so slightly so go back to Imperial Tyres as their alignment wasn't good enough.

Imperial Tyres said it wasn't pulling enough to constitute a bad alignment, it was possibly just the tyres(?).

Both looked at all the suspension components and said that everything was 100% solid. The only thing Imperial Tyres said was that the tyres I have, Nokian Z G2, could be the problem. They said they had a Lexus in with similar problems to me and that turned out to be the tyres.

At the moment the only two things I have left on my shortlist are, tyres, and that top universal joint. (Both Imperial Tyres and BMW said there was not enough play to cause this, though both did agree after driving it that there was a problem).

I have a trackday booked for 2nd July so maybe I'll just destroy these tyres there and get some new ones afterwards. These tyres have great reviews generally, they have won 'Best Tyre' awards all over the place. I did however see a review from one guy that had a bad experience with these (on a BMW I think).
Old 06-18-2013, 06:12 AM   #28
David McMahon

My Ride: 15/Dec/98 E46 328i
How about trying some random tyres to try and rule it out? Cheap eBay wheel/tyre sets for example.
David McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:56 AM   #29
alexapps1

I have a spare set of wheels with winter tyres on at home. I could actually just try these. I'm not sure it would be completely fair as the winter ones are by nature softer than summer anyway. However, I don't remember having these same problems when I was running those the winter before last.

I don't know if this would be a fair enough test to rule out tyres. I might check out ebay and see what is around.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:46 PM   #30
David McMahon

My Ride: 15/Dec/98 E46 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexapps1 View Post
I could actually just try these... I might check out ebay and see what is around.
Good luck and keep us posted.
David McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:34 PM   #31
LeMansteve

My Ride: '04 330i 6mt ZSP ZPP
Tires can have a huge impact. I remember when my OE Continental ContiSportContact 2 tires were replaced with Continental ExtremeContact DWs, the steering response was reduced significantly, especially during hard cornering. At first it was actually scary but then I got used to it. I thought staying within the Continental summer tire lineup would give similar results but I was wrong. The grip is the same but the sidewalls absolutely stink for response.
Old 06-18-2013, 04:44 PM   #32
alexapps1

I think this is the bad review I saw before. Maybe all the good reviews are for non low profile tyres?

I've driven this tyre for some months now and for the most part it is ok, but there are a few things that let the tyre down on my car.

In the wet the tyre behaves good, and grips well.
In the dry it lets go a bit fast. If you drive a bit hard and spirited the tyre slips on dry asphalt sooner than you would expect. This have happende to me a couple of times. I'm used to driving conti sport contact 3 on the car, and this had a lot more grip in the dry.

The biggest let down of the tyre however is that it is not able to drive in a straight line. You do constantly have to make minor corrections to the steering wheel to keep the car straight. The tyre follows tracks in the road like they were railroad tracks, and it is hard to keep the car from following deep tracks in the road.
When braking hard the tyre can't go straight either, and will pull the car to the side. This can be scary at high speeds, as you suddenly use two lanes when braking hard, because you have to correct the dirrection the tyres send you in.

On the pluss sides the tyre is very quiet and grips good in rain.
If it had been more direction stable, it would have been good. But the "unstabilty" of the tyre lets it down big time on a sports car.

I'va also tried the tyre on trackdays. If you are thinking about doing this:
In the rain it can be done. In the dry: DON'T do it.
If you are travelling at 180 km/h and brake hard, you will use the whole track to keep the car staight.
I have tyres with the XL sidewalls. This may cause these problems.

However I would not buy these tyres to any car. They are to expensive compared to what they offer in preformance.

Next time I'm probably buying goodyears or bridgestone.
Old 06-18-2013, 04:44 PM   #33
alexapps1

Source: http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Nokian/Z-G2_2.htm
Old 06-18-2013, 04:47 PM   #34
alexapps1

There again, a couple down there is a guy with a BMW 740i giving them an amazing review.

I'm kind of hoping someone on here will have fitted them and pipe up and say 'these tyres are awful and will be causing all of the described problems'.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:01 PM   #35
Yewzer B Lewzer

My Ride: 2003 325i
Replaced nearly everything,

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexapps1 View Post
Quick update;

...The only thing Imperial Tyres said was that the tyres I have, Nokian Z G2, could be the problem. They said they had a Lexus in with similar problems to me and that turned out to be the tyres.

At the moment the only two things I have left on my shortlist are, tyres, and that top universal joint. (Both Imperial Tyres and BMW said there was not enough play to cause this, though both did agree after driving it that there was a problem).
Have you ruled out radial pull? A tire defect where the outer circumference of the tire is slightly conical rather than cylindrical. Move front tires side to side and see if the pull follows.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

'03 325i. '74 Jeep CJ-5. '93 Sailfish 170XL. '12 Westside SS Longboard. One of these four are sure to be running at any given point in time.
Yewzer B Lewzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:19 AM   #36
alexapps1

I now also have the issue described throughout the thread linked below. Front end clunk. I'll tighten everything up and if that isn't it probably check and possibly replace the FCAB that BMW said was starting to leak oil. Hopefully I'll sort the clunk and it will be the same thing causing the handling issue!

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=919733
Old 06-24-2013, 11:32 AM   #37
ZemogFC3S

My Ride: '02 330xi
Are you sure your wheels aren't bent? Have you tried swapping the wheels lately? I didn't see you say anything about checking the rims.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:41 AM   #38
alexapps1

They look okay, and I have had them off quite a few times. The tyres are fairly knew so they would have balanced them then. Wouldn't they cause a vibration through the steering wheel at speed?

Tags
handling, rack, steering, tramlining