E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-31-2013, 01:27 AM   #41
metlic53

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
So, I don't understand how a V1 protects you from a blow out at 140 mph. Nor those around you on public roads. I don't understand if you're thinking about the forces involved in going 140mph and then stopping in a few feet because of a tree...these are, in case you missed that day in Physics class, death guaranteeing forces. Severe.

I don't understand how you've had such bad luck with engines, either, but this might be why. To go this speed your car needs to be in top trim, and given that you asked this question, I'm thinking that you either need a close friend as mechanic who keeps your car in race condition, or that you need to slow down, read Fanatics until you puke, and stop doing stuff like this, or you will not be around for long.

...and yes, I'm assuming you weren't on a local track where there were ambulances standing by.
my V1 protects from getting a ticket which i never have had a ticket...knock on wood
Old 03-31-2013, 02:06 AM   #42
jayb328i

My Ride: E46 2000 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by metlic53 View Post
I have to drive my bmw about 50 miles to college 3 times per week and its on the freeway, i usually cruise 65 all the way there, a couple times this past week a newer bmw wanted to race me to houston so we were cruising anywhere from 70-95 all the way there, can my 2001 325i with a 3.0 swap handle 90 for 20-30 minutes at a time?
Also wondering about this when im going to take a trip across the states, i like to drive around 85 and set the cruise on, can it handle that for hours on end? the engine only has 65k on it and it runs smooth, just wanting to make sure, my rpms are sure up there, running 90 i'm doing about 4k rpms.
Interesting that the newer BMW determines YOUR speed. Who is in control? What speed do YOU want to do? Based on this, I am not sure what is a safe speed for YOU.
Old 03-31-2013, 02:52 AM   #43
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
I have trouble keeping mine below 80mph. It just seems to want to be there, when cruising on the Interstate. Anything less just feels wrong.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:03 AM   #44
RayPooley

My Ride: 320i SE Coupe
Quote:
I have to drive my bmw about 50 miles to college 3 times per week and its on the freeway, i usually cruise 65 all the way there, a couple times this past week a newer bmw wanted to race me to houston so we were cruising anywhere from 70-95 all the way there, can my 2001 325i with a 3.0 swap handle 90 for 20-30 minutes at a time?
Also wondering about this when im going to take a trip across the states, i like to drive around 85 and set the cruise on, can it handle that for hours on end? the engine only has 65k on it and it runs smooth, just wanting to make sure, my rpms are sure up there, running 90 i'm doing about 4k rpms.
Harsh driving will always take its toll on components no matter what car you are in. Fluids and belts are your greatest enemy. Make sure your engine oil and filter are clean and topped up. If you are goinfg to do this routinely then service your vehicle fluids first, although its very much a matter of reducing risk of failure rather than prevention.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:21 PM   #45
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayPooley View Post
Harsh driving will always take its toll on components no matter what car you are in. Fluids and belts are your greatest enemy. Make sure your engine oil and filter are clean and topped up. If you are goinfg to do this routinely then service your vehicle fluids first, although its very much a matter of reducing risk of failure rather than prevention.
Driving 90mph with the engine turning around 4000rpm for 3 hours or so is not what I would consider "harsh" conditions for a BMW.
In fact, it probably causes less wear and tear than a 1.5 hour commute in stop and go traffic in 95 degree heat. Most of our cars would probably be better off if we could all drive it at 90mph a few days a week.
But, I am not disagreeing with your advice on oil and belts. I would also add that you should be sure your cooling system is in good shape as well. But that advice applies to everyone who drives an e46, no matter how far, how long, or how fast they drive it.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:40 PM   #46
qhong85

My Ride: e46 330ci
I'm sure it would handle it without a problem! Just went down to florida for spring break doing 80mph the whole way and I'm from upstate NY.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:46 PM   #47
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by qhong85 View Post
I'm sure it would handle it without a problem! Just went down to florida for spring break doing 80mph the whole way and I'm from upstate NY.
I was riding not that far behind you! Saw the speed cameras lighting up your license plate all thru Virginia and the Carolinas.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:06 PM   #48
qhong85

My Ride: e46 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
I was riding not that far behind you! Saw the speed cameras lighting up your license plate all thru Virginia and the Carolinas.
haha should have pulled up next to me
Old 03-31-2013, 09:20 PM   #49
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by qhong85 View Post
haha should have pulled up next to me
Why when you were running interference for me?
Old 03-31-2013, 09:41 PM   #50
Mango
Grand Superpatriot Sport+

My Ride: M54B30
your biggest concern should be the oil you're running and your oil pump nut if near redline for extended periods of time

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 03-31-2013, 11:05 PM   #51
auto180sx

My Ride: '02 Steel Blue 330Ci
Quote:
yall are funny and yes i am 21 years old and i get paid over 6 figures a year at a chemical company so i pay for everything.
The guy that swapped the engine said i had 10 codes for mis fire in all the cylinders, misfire at low fuel, he said it all leads to the Mass Air Flow sensor, other than that it is in as you say "Top Trim" condition and has had everything replace including the cooling system, tranny and clutch, brakes new tires everything. He told me the MAF will only mess with it occasionally when in traffic which it does but other than that, changing the MAF i wont notice ANYTHING. Thats just what he has told me.
When i speed in my BMW or my 2002 SS Camaro with headwork, built trans, stall, HP Torque Converter, 150 Shot of NOS, Forge Pistons Cam, Racing fuel its either at the drag strip or a circle track or at 3AM when not a single person is on the freeway and if i see someone i slow down., (yes i have got on a circle track in the BMW and topped it out a few times, i know people).
I'm not trying to sound like an arrogant young teenager who thinks he knows it all but dang who REALLY cares.
Here comes the "where do you live so i can stay off the roads"

I stopped reading here... SOOOO

To answer your question, please drive as fast as possible into a tree. The amount of money you make =/= intelligence.

I have regularly made 8 hour trips cruising at 85 +/- seeing a high of 28MPG through mostly mountains on I40.

OKI BMW
BMW CCA Member #444186
Old 04-01-2013, 12:21 AM   #52
metlic53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
your biggest concern should be the oil you're running and your oil pump nut if near redline for extended periods of time
I had the guy put a tack weld on it while the engine was out.

I changed the oil last week, i put castrol 0w-30 European formula. That good? very expensive...
Old 04-01-2013, 12:23 AM   #53
metlic53

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayb328i View Post
Interesting that the newer BMW determines YOUR speed. Who is in control? What speed do YOU want to do? Based on this, I am not sure what is a safe speed for YOU.
I like to go fast when its just me in the car...when i have my wife or friends i tend to stay the speed limit.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:25 AM   #54
metlic53

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto180sx View Post
I stopped reading here... SOOOO

To answer your question, please drive as fast as possible into a tree. The amount of money you make =/= intelligence.

I have regularly made 8 hour trips cruising at 85 +/- seeing a high of 28MPG through mostly mountains on I40.
Well thats not very Christ like...
But thats my religion i guess.
I get 33 on the highway.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:30 AM   #55
auto180sx

Quote:
Well thats not very Christ like...
But thats my religion i guess.
I get 33 on the highway.
Whats religion have to do with it? I think I posted after 12am origionaly...
Nice to see 33MPG, what speed do you average? I'll be making the trek down to the panhandle of Florida beginning of June so I'm hoping to see 32-33+ this time around since its all flat...

OKI BMW
BMW CCA Member #444186
Old 04-01-2013, 12:35 AM   #56
metlic53

Quote:
Whats religion have to do with it? I think I posted after 12am origionaly...
Nice to see 33MPG, what speed do you average? I'll be making the trek down to the panhandle of Florida beginning of June so I'm hoping to see 32-33+ this time around since its all flat...
i was just joking,
mines a 325 with a fresh 3.0 engine instead of the 2.5 it originally had, when i get 33 i usually set cruise between 70-75 and i get shell v-power
Old 04-01-2013, 12:37 AM   #57
Lusticles

My Ride: 325Ci
Quote:
yall are funny and yes i am 21 years old and i get paid over 6 figures a year at a chemical company so i pay for everything.
The guy that swapped the engine said i had 10 codes for mis fire in all the cylinders, misfire at low fuel, he said it all leads to the Mass Air Flow sensor, other than that it is in as you say "Top Trim" condition and has had everything replace including the cooling system, tranny and clutch, brakes new tires everything. He told me the MAF will only mess with it occasionally when in traffic which it does but other than that, changing the MAF i wont notice ANYTHING. Thats just what he has told me.
When i speed in my BMW or my 2002 SS Camaro with headwork, built trans, stall, HP Torque Converter, 150 Shot of NOS, Forge Pistons Cam, Racing fuel its either at the drag strip or a circle track or at 3AM when not a single person is on the freeway and if i see someone i slow down., (yes i have got on a circle track in the BMW and topped it out a few times, i know people).
I'm not trying to sound like an arrogant young teenager who thinks he knows it all but dang who REALLY cares.
Here comes the "where do you live so i can stay off the roads"
Over 6 figures? Fix all the codes and stop worrying. or buy a Lamborghini, then you go over 90mph.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:41 AM   #58
metlic53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusticles View Post
Over 6 figures? Fix all the codes and stop worrying. or buy a Lamborghini, then you go over 90mph.
lol i don't worry, i mean its on its 3rd engine in a few months plus i like to fix things myself and save money instead of paying mechanics.

i'm probably going to swap in a LS1 Vette motor in a year

i don't think a LAMBO could keep up with my camaro, not much can. ive had it at 188...little scary.

Last edited by metlic53; 04-01-2013 at 12:42 AM.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:42 AM   #59
auto180sx

Quote:
i was just joking,
mines a 325 with a fresh 3.0 engine instead of the 2.5 it originally had, when i get 33 i usually set cruise between 70-75 and i get shell v-power
Nice numbers! Hopefully I can get close to that here in June! I couldn't tell if it was sarcasm or not btw; there has been a lot of people with sand in their vagina today.

+1 on Shell V-Power, its all I use! Even in my city driving the car seems to be much happier then anything else I've used while owning it!

OKI BMW
BMW CCA Member #444186
Old 04-01-2013, 12:45 AM   #60
metlic53

Quote:
Nice numbers! Hopefully I can get close to that here in June! I couldn't tell if it was sarcasm or not btw; there has been a lot of people with sand in their vagina today.

+1 on Shell V-Power, its all I use! Even in my city driving the car seems to be much happier then anything else I've used while owning it!
yeah i've noticed the same thing, i get valero gas or conoco and its just missing something on take off, i try to stick with shell. now my jeep on the other hand doesn't care what it gets lol
Closed Thread