E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-01-2013, 04:16 AM   #81
RayPooley

My Ride: 320i SE Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by metlic53 View Post
lol i don't worry, i mean its on its 3rd engine in a few months plus i like to fix things myself and save money instead of paying mechanics.

i'm probably going to swap in a LS1 Vette motor in a year

i don't think a LAMBO could keep up with my camaro, not much can. ive had it at 188...little scary.
To be honest you are coming across as a bit of a dickhead. The kind that shouldn't really be allowed on public highways. Maybe the cops will deal with that in time. Do they have driving bans in the States?
Old 04-01-2013, 06:07 AM   #82
jayb328i

My Ride: E46 2000 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcollins View Post
Well, if you look at the prices other countries pay, you can see that we actually don't pay nearly as much. In Germany, for instance, 95 gas is 1.66 Euros/litre. This is 6.28 Euros per US gallon. That is $8.04/gallon. You can see why I don't complain about paying $4.05/gallon for Shell V-Power 93 yesterday.

My car averages approximately 18.3 mpg due to a combination of almost no highway driving, AWD, and a lead foot on takeoffs, (though I'm cutting back on this). At $4.05/gallon, this works out to $0.22/mile. I don't know of any other form of transportation that is so convenient and yet so inexpensive. You can take 2-8 people in most cars, which lessens that cost per person making it extremely cheap to drive.

But it's not just the economies of scale. Most people will decide to go to McDonald's for lunch, drive 20 miles round trip, and complain about gas prices. I try to limit these frivolous trips, except for pleasure drives, and combine trips into bigger ones. I don't run all the way to Wal-mart just because I suddenly ran out of milk. I wait until I need more things in that area. I think overall, Americans just spend way too much time in their cars for dumb reasons.
Yes, you are right about Americans complaining about the price of gas. But at the same time they have no hesitation to drive a mile to get the newspaper, then later the same morning drive again several miles to get something at the store, and again, the same day drive right back there to buy something else. Total lack of any concern for saving on gas usage (or personal cost of paying for it). On top of that I watch so many people buying super SUV that get perhaps 8 or 10 mpg and complain. Over and over again you will see rural home owners stop their car at the end of the driveway to get the mail, and some cases open it to read, while idling the engine and wasting gas. Americas are spoiled and are not really concerned about gas usage--just want more at lower prices. On top of that, just watch how many drivers on the road during rush hour--one to a car, when public transportation (or car pooling) is available in some (many) cases. Just look at the SIZE of cars in the US vs Europe. That shows you what the consumer is really thinking regarding gas usage.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:37 AM   #83
RayPooley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusticles View Post
Please elaborate.
UK here. Currently paying $9.75 for a gallon of unleaded. Nearly 80% of that is tax.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:50 AM   #84
jayb328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayPooley View Post
UK here. Currently paying $9.75 for a gallon of unleaded. Nearly 80% of that is tax.
You need to go one step further in your explanation. Many people in the US do not fully understand the impact of this...but will if you say it takes $150 to $200 to fill the tank with gas. Now they understand.
I have driven in the UK many times, and when I was there several years ago and was use to paying $30 per fill up in the US--I quickly recognized the impact of filling up and costing close to $60 to $80 at that time. Now it would be over $150.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:18 AM   #85
RayPooley

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayb328i View Post
You need to go one step further in your explanation. Many people in the US do not fully understand the impact of this...but will if you say it takes $150 to $200 to fill the tank with gas. Now they understand.
I have driven in the UK many times, and when I was there several years ago and was use to paying $30 per fill up in the US--I quickly recognized the impact of filling up and costing close to $60 to $80 at that time. Now it would be over $150.
Ok. With my 16.6 gallon tank thats $165.85 to fill it which I do once every 10 days. So that's $5970 a year in petrol costs 80% of which goes to the taxman to fund our out of control welfare bill. Then I have to pay another $400 a year road fund license to drive use the roads. Then another $1200 a year mandatory insurance to drive on them. You guys think you got problems?

You'll be doing it soon if Obama has his way.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:44 AM   #86
jayb328i

Quote:
Ok. With my 16.6 gallon tank thats $165.85 to fill it which I do once every 10 days. So that's $5970 a year in petrol costs 80% of which goes to the taxman to fund our out of control welfare bill. Then I have to pay another $400 a year road fund license to drive use the roads. Then another $1200 a year mandatory insurance to drive on them. You guys think you got problems?

You'll be doing it soon if Obama has his way.
Ray--Agree fully with you. But we need to highlight one other IMPORTANT item. That is consumption. You say once ever 10 days you fill the tank. In the US that is probably rare for many (most) people. More common in the US is probably once a week (5 to 7 days). Gasoline is used at the same rate as water.
In regard to the $400 and $1200--I suspect that is not unusual for the US --perhaps not in those categories. The $1200 insurance (personal liability/collision/property damage) is probably low in the bigger cities (equivalent to Liverpool).
Old 04-01-2013, 08:15 AM   #87
mjpgolf1

My Ride: 00 328i ZSP,05 745LI
Quote:
To be honest you are coming across as a bit of a dickhead. The kind that shouldn't really be allowed on public highways. Maybe the cops will deal with that in time. Do they have driving bans in the States?
+1.

I want to know how the OP is making over 6 figures a year driving back and forth to college. My experience is that anyone who has to come on a public forum and tell everyone they make big money is usually broke, and anyone that talkes about how fast they drive their camaro is trying to compensate for something else.

If you make all that money why don't you go buy an M3 or a 330 zhp instead of patching up a car that is pieced together and not running right. Just go get a nice car and then pay to go to a nice racetrack instead of running around on public roads endangering you and other innocent people.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:42 AM   #88
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

My Ride: '99 Techno Violet M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusticles View Post
Please elaborate.
Crude oil is traded in the world reserve currency, which just so happens to be the US dollar.

1999 Techno Violet Metallic BMW M3
2005 Audi B6 S4 quattro 6MT
2004 BMW 330i
1986 BMW 535i

Last edited by tock172; 04-01-2013 at 10:42 AM.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:14 AM   #89
Schlag96
Slightly Modded ///Member

My Ride: 1999 323i
Quote:
Yes, you are right about Americans complaining about the price of gas. But at the same time they have no hesitation to drive a mile to get the newspaper, then later the same morning drive again several miles to get something at the store, and again, the same day drive right back there to buy something else. Total lack of any concern for saving on gas usage (or personal cost of paying for it). On top of that I watch so many people buying super SUV that get perhaps 8 or 10 mpg and complain. Over and over again you will see rural home owners stop their car at the end of the driveway to get the mail, and some cases open it to read, while idling the engine and wasting gas. Americas are spoiled and are not really concerned about gas usage--just want more at lower prices. On top of that, just watch how many drivers on the road during rush hour--one to a car, when public transportation (or car pooling) is available in some (many) cases. Just look at the SIZE of cars in the US vs Europe. That shows you what the consumer is really thinking regarding gas usage.
There's a lot of space here compared to Europe. And we have a certain dynamic here that you guys don't have as much of - the commute. Since things are more spread out, we drive farther to get to things. And ride sharing is great and everything but what are you supposed to do if your kid's school calls and tells you that he's sick and come get him? Then three other dudes at your office have to leave work early too? And we have great public transportation in the areas where it makes sense. Unfortunately that just doesn't include most of America. Any why can't we complain about the price of gas when we drive an SUV? Most people have an SUV because they need it. And the people who drive an SUV because they can't fit their $5000 28 inch motorized spinning rims on anything else aren't the ones complaining about the price of gas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpgolf1 View Post
I want to know how the OP is making over 6 figures a year driving back and forth to college.

If you make all that money why don't you go buy an M3 or a 330 zhp instead of patching up a car that is pieced together and not running right.
Haha well I'm evidence that you can make six figures and not afford the car you want. Of course i'm living in southern CA and have a family of six. But i keep Betsy running right. I just can't afford my supercharged imola ZHP just yet.

Oh, and one more thing:

Last edited by Schlag96; 04-01-2013 at 11:16 AM.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:30 AM   #90
Marshmallow
Yacht Club Libertarian

My Ride: E46, E30, Quattro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlag96 View Post
There's a lot of space here compared to Europe. And we have a certain dynamic here that you guys don't have as much of - the commute. Since things are more spread out, we drive farther to get to things. And ride sharing is great and everything but what are you supposed to do if your kid's school calls and tells you that he's sick and come get him? Then three other dudes at your office have to leave work early too? And we have great public transportation in the areas where it makes sense. Unfortunately that just doesn't include most of America. Any why can't we complain about the price of gas when we drive an SUV? Most people have an SUV because they need it. And the people who drive an SUV because they can't fit their $5000 28 inch motorized spinning rims on anything else aren't the ones complaining about the price of gas.
I appreciate that you are a patriotic American, but you can't honestly believe that everyone who owns an SUV, truck, or crossover needs it. Especially as someone living in SoCal, who probably sees 20 trophy wives in Mercedes GL's everyday. I think big vehicles are part of someone's pursuit of the power and influence they are lacking in life. Women and men with insecurities are the biggest proponents of large and flashy vehicles.

2003 BMW 325xiT "Audrey"
1987 BMW 325i "Lydia"
1990 Audi 90 Quattro Sport 20v "Chloe"

Old 04-01-2013, 11:31 AM   #91
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Haha makes 6 figures, attends college, and drives a broke ass E46 and camaro. Good one. He's a bullshitter. No one who has that bad of grammar makes 6 figures at a chemical company. Maybe he counts x,xxx.xx as six figures.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:00 PM   #92
RayPooley

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
Haha makes 6 figures, attends college, and drives a broke ass E46 and camaro. Good one. He's a bullshitter. No one who has that bad of grammar makes 6 figures at a chemical company. Maybe he counts x,xxx.xx as six figures.
Delivery boy for a meth lab? That low profile would be beneficial. Would also explain why he drives everywhere at 90mph. Keep the cops off his ass.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:02 PM   #93
jayb328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcollins View Post
I appreciate that you are a patriotic American, but you can't honestly believe that everyone who owns an SUV, truck, or crossover needs it. Especially as someone living in SoCal, who probably sees 20 trophy wives in Mercedes GL's everyday. I think big vehicles are part of someone's pursuit of the power and influence they are lacking in life. Women and men with insecurities are the biggest proponents of large and flashy vehicles.
I can walk down the blocks within 2 miles of my house and the SUV count is probably 1 for every 3 houses. And I guarantee you that almost all of these SUV is nothing more than purchased because they look good. I am not thinking of the exception, but the rule. Just sit outside of the schools and see how many of those Mom's are using it to drive their kids to school everyday, or using it for grocery shopping. I agree that in some cases people cannot use public transportation because it does not exist. But if you look at many of the big cities in the US, people prefer to drive, and do, instead of using existing public transportation. And the reason--they want the comfort and flexibility of their car. That is understood, but that means high gas usage and pollution.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:11 PM   #94
seattle330

My Ride: '05 330i ZHP
It's easy for these cars to do that, but you shouldn't get into a pissing match with other drivers, that rarely ends well....
Old 04-01-2013, 12:13 PM   #95
Marshmallow
Yacht Club Libertarian

Quote:
I can walk down the blocks within 2 miles of my house and the SUV count is probably 1 for every 3 houses. And I guarantee you that almost all of these SUV is nothing more than purchased because they look good. I am not thinking of the exception, but the rule. Just sit outside of the schools and see how many of those Mom's are using it to drive their kids to school everyday, or using it for grocery shopping. I agree that in some cases people cannot use public transportation because it does not exist. But if you look at many of the big cities in the US, people prefer to drive, and do, instead of using existing public transportation. And the reason--they want the comfort and flexibility of their car. That is understood, but that means high gas usage and pollution.
It's pretty funny because my E46 touring has the same amount of interior space as the X5, as well as the same AWD. It also handles better, gets better fuel economy, is more comfortable, and more of a driver's car. And yet I still get station wagon and soccer mom jokes. In reality most moms have minivans or suv's. My car can act like an SUV when needed, but act like a regular e46 when you don't. The only time you notice it's a wagon is when you need the space.

2003 BMW 325xiT "Audrey"
1987 BMW 325i "Lydia"

Old 04-01-2013, 12:14 PM   #96
metlic53

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330i
Most people online are penny millionaires...all talk. its the internet, if it really bothers you why are you here?
and i can tell you i am not broke, i own 7 vehicles and most are new. its funny how your on here bad mouthing e46's. i have a major in english and my dad owns the chemical company, he hired me but i have to go to college at night 3 days a week, i work 12 hour shifts.
i had 35k in the bank when i turned 17, working 50hrs plus working at a golf course.
i have a lot of toys, that is where all my money goes.
you say you have to pay alot for gas but what kind of pay do you get.
i can have bad grammar if i want, i may have an english major but i'm not going to waste my time typing out to you.
I love coming on here and riling you all up. and because i speed lol, i'll speed everywhere cuz i am a dickhead and i'll run you off the road cuz i just don't care hahaha
lets see how long this thread can get shall we
Old 04-01-2013, 12:18 PM   #97
metlic53

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
You sir can blow out your a** all day long
i have an english degree but am taking process technology nights so i can have that as well...since i work as an operator.
No one has that bad of grammar?
you must be kidding me. Its quite easy to make 100,000 or more a year. My dad has done it for 28 years, i'm going to follow his footsteps and do the same.

(I actually drive slow)
Old 04-01-2013, 12:28 PM   #98
HiHoBrian
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 05 M3
Imo the MOST important thing when driving high speeds for extended periods is tire pressure,tire condition,and tire ratings. Higher speeds require higher pressures. I couldn't give 2 sharts about my cooling system or oil if I was over 100, but the condition and choice of tires can mean the difference between eating steak with a fork and a knife,or drinking through a straw and having a social worker wipe your azz till you die.

sent from my ATARI sc1224
Old 04-01-2013, 01:09 PM   #99
Marshmallow
Yacht Club Libertarian

This is the thread of many topics, and is probably the most aggressive outside of OT.

Can't we all just get along? Or have we forgotten the words of the Reverend King?!

2003 BMW 325xiT "Audrey"
1987 BMW 325i "Lydia"

Last edited by Marshmallow; 04-01-2013 at 01:10 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:48 PM   #100
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Awe got a job through nepotism with daddy. Congrats. Realize how lucky you are. You'll regret buying 7 cars later. English major hahaha. What kind of operator makes 6 figures. What a joke.

Common Sense is officially dead.

Last edited by WDE46; 04-01-2013 at 01:51 PM.
Closed Thread