E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Australia

Australia
Check out other E46Fanatics members rides in the Enthusist Directory!

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-31-2013, 06:31 AM   #1
Casho

My Ride: e46 330ci
Good value?

Hi

Does anyone have any feedback on this M3?

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d...d&sort=default

S
Casho is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:50 AM   #2
DesiredM

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casho View Post
Hi

Does anyone have any feedback on this M3?

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d...d&sort=default

S
It's been listed on eBay 3 times and sold each time to different buyers but for some reason never ends up actually selling. It's sold for $25k, $26k and $27k. I contacted him once on eBay out of curiosity and offered $26k cash and ill pick it up tomorrow (just to see his response) and he said deal where and when. So he is obviously desperate to sell for some reason.

His description is concerning - arm rest removed for enthusiastic drivers (means he has probably thrashed it a lot or tracked it). Before he had the subframe was always checked and isn't cracked - that comment is now removed. All service done locally through a trusted mechanic - it's either a mate, himself or some dodgy bloke down the road....best to check service records.

Obviously a reason why he is selling so cheap. I would be cautious!
DesiredM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:54 AM   #3
Casho

Thanks for the advice.

Anyone with number plates "ondole" is obviously not some 60yo gentlemen

S
Old 03-31-2013, 06:55 AM   #4
DeclanM3

My Ride: 332Ci
Things to note:

ONDOLE was last attached to a VS Ute (1998 holden commodore ute) which has since had it's registration cancelled - So plates have not officially been attached to this car which could mean any thing from short ownership and big upgrade leading to low budget maintenance or that the owner sold their second car and was going to put the plates on this car.. Either way, something to question.

The car has HK sound but no HK emblems on the doors

Range left on the tank is 37km and the car has travelled 368km since last reset - if the owner is like most people who reset the trip when they fill up then the car is driven hard or in traffic for at least the last tank

Not sure why the owner would say the rego expires in December 2013 but has that rego isn't included at that price, only RWC - Kind of implies it's not registered which raises an eyebrow.

I've had a manual E46 and the arm rest never got in the way when shifting gears. He states it was for 'enthusiastic manual drivers' perhaps meaning it's seen some hard shifts in it's life - get the sub frame checked.

No real alarm bells, just things to check more thoroughly than you perhaps would. Good luck with your purchase!

DeclanM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:03 AM   #5
Casho

Thanks Declan

I currently own a 330ci manual and I doubt the positioning in the M3 is any different. I'm a tall person with long arms and I've never hit the arm rest! Very odd that he mentions that.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:05 AM   #6
DeclanM3

Quote:
Thanks Declan

I currently own a 330ci manual and I doubt the positioning in the M3 is any different. I'm a tall person with long arms and I've never hit the arm rest! Very odd that he mentions that.
My thoughts exactly. Even more strange with such a high shifter, I had a M sport shifter in my 3 series which was much lower and it still never got in the way.

I did a quick search on the plates and the only thing of interest that came back was a guy that had a WRX with the same number plates in Syd got into some road rage and got stabbed in the head with a screwdriver 3 times :-/

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/...934165208.html

Old 03-31-2013, 07:22 AM   #7
Casho

Geezuz say no more!
Old 03-31-2013, 07:43 AM   #8
DeclanM3

Quote:
Geezuz say no more!
That was NSW plates and this car has VIC plates so don't let that story have any impact on your purchase!

Old 03-31-2013, 07:46 AM   #9
Rob32R

My Ride: BMW 530i E60,VW R32
It's a lemon it was slid into a lamp post and heavily damaged and then repaired after it was purchased from a breakers yard I heard. Somewhere on this forum there is a thread about it's faults and why you should not go near it.

Last edited by Rob32R; 03-31-2013 at 07:47 AM.
Rob32R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:42 PM   #10
M3_Aaron

The muffler hangers are stuffed but they're probably the least of your worries though. I don't think the arm rest delete is a big deal, there is an OEM console that allows this.

Last edited by M3_Aaron; 03-31-2013 at 05:45 PM.
M3_Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:59 PM   #11
braaang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob32R View Post
It's a lemon it was slid into a lamp post and heavily damaged and then repaired after it was purchased from a breakers yard I heard. Somewhere on this forum there is a thread about it's faults and why you should not go near it.
interesting.. i was going to go look at it before i bought my m3, but this bloke never replied to my carsales enquiry.

hopefully this would be identified during a PPI..
braaang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:00 AM   #12
BMW E465

My Ride: 1dirty5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob32R View Post
there was a 2003/4 silver manual m3 (rear quarter guard into post, no other damage) for 20k on gumtree early 2012/late 2011
BMW E465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:05 AM   #13
DeclanM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by braaang View Post
interesting.. i was going to go look at it before i bought my m3, but this bloke never replied to my carsales enquiry.

hopefully this would be identified during a PPI..
They can be a bit hit and miss. I was really impressed with the detail they went to when I was selling my old car and really disappointed with the one they did on my M3. Still always worth getting IMO

Old 04-02-2013, 01:31 AM   #14
CortinaD

My Ride: lots
Drivers side a pillar also looks like it has been off before or the car has been out in the sun a fair bit.
CortinaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:50 AM   #15
Jimmy_46

My Ride: bmw e46 m3
i was actually going to buy that car. the reason he is selling it so cheap is because its been in a accident left rear quarter panel was hit i think i still have the photos he sent me
Jimmy_46 is offline   Reply With Quote