E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-31-2013, 10:15 AM   #1
rkneeshaw

My Ride: 330i ZHP
LSD Install Prices

I've been trying to wade through the search results for some time now, and I think I'll just ask: What has everyone been paying for labor to install a LSD unit into their differential housings, and does that include labor to remove the differential housing from the car and reinstall as well?

rkneeshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:05 AM   #2
Steven747

My Ride: 05 330ci
$3,000
Steven747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:05 PM   #3
Snipez4664

My Ride: '00 328i
i would say $500-700 labor if everything is a direct swap. I went the e46m3 subframe route which has cost me $2000+ so far and my car is still on a lift. Most shops wont resize or balance a BMW driveshaft which make anything custom a costly option.
Snipez4664 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:21 PM   #4
Cruzader

My Ride: Alpinweiß facelift
$0. Diy
Old 04-01-2013, 09:26 PM   #5
Steven747

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzader View Post
$0. Diy
+1 love your aw front!
Steven747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:37 PM   #6
rkneeshaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven747 View Post
$3,000
Let me clarify: labor to install a LSD into the differential housing, once you already have a LSD unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipez4664 View Post
i would say $500-700 labor if everything is a direct swap.
thanks. I've gotten quotes from some semi-local shops from $350 to as high as $1000. They're all over the chart, not sure why. So it makes me curious what others ended up paying in the end so I have a better idea what to expect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzader View Post
$0. Diy
Don't you need special tools to set backlash and fit shims, swap bearings and such? From what I've read it doesnt really sound like a DIY job.... Got a link?

Last edited by rkneeshaw; 04-01-2013 at 09:38 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:20 PM   #7
Steven747

On a serious note you need at ask yourself if your a diyer or not but I'm assuming not.. Your best bet is to build a relationship with a guy at a local BMW shop or do d a mechanic here on the forum in your area to help you out. I helped my buddy and he did it for 150 it takes 3-4 hours for just diff swap shops will say 5-7 hours which is prob in the $600 range .. While your in there you will prob wanna do diff bushing but that's a bitch to press out maybe tack on another 100-150 for that...? More on top of all this if your doing the m3 rear end swap.. First step for you is to call some shops and get some quotes .. Comeback and we will say yay or nay.. Best of luck
Old 04-02-2013, 11:22 PM   #8
Steven747

[QUOTE=Don't you need special tools to set backlash and fit shims, swap bearings and such? From what I've read it doesnt really sound like a DIY job.... Got a link?[/QUOTE]
Very easy DIY.. Now you need to explain what your doing but back lash would mean swapping flanges like from 330 to 328 or the other way around what LSD are you installing more info needed
Old 04-03-2013, 05:21 PM   #9
TrippinBimmer

My Ride: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
It is easy to do but TIME COMSUMMING!
TrippinBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:24 PM   #10
SoloII///M

My Ride: Many
It's a pain to do correctly and you do need a set of enormous snap-ring pliers (Snap-on and Cornwell both sell them and I have a set... they're not cheap) and a dial gauge to check the backlash.

Getting the bearings off of the stock open diff is difficult without damaging them, and the bearings are impossible to find. If you get the bearings off and successfully press them onto the LSD and swap the ring gear over, you still need to check the backlash and adjust it with differing shim thicknesses. The gear setup should follow the gears but the LSD is not always perfectly dimensioned as compared to the stock unit. You can't buy the shims from BMW, so you do what diff builders do and buy up a bunch of stock differentials to harvest the shims. I have a huge collection of them and still had to have two of them surface ground at a machine shop to get the right backlash when I swapped ratios last year.

Some guys will get away with just swapping in the LSD and not bother checking any of that and they'll get lucky. Or they won't get lucky and the R+P will eat itself after 5,000 miles. I personally wouldn't take the chance... too much hassle just getting the diff in and out of the car.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...282&highlight= - shows the snap ring pliers you need to get the shims out.

Last edited by SoloII///M; 04-03-2013 at 07:32 PM.
SoloII///M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:34 PM   #11
rkneeshaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven747 View Post
Very easy DIY.. Now you need to explain what your doing but back lash would mean swapping flanges like from 330 to 328 or the other way around what LSD are you installing more info needed
I appreciate you trying to help but you're either not reading what I'm telling you or you know nothing on this subject.

This is what I need to do:

EXCEPT he doesn't check or set backlash, and he didnt have to swap bearings, which i understand are pressed on in our cars and have to be carefully removed so they can be reinstalled on the new LS unit.

So this is a bit beyond a DIY that I would normally undertake (and I've swapped motors before...)

And if you would you would see that I already obtained quotes for this work but they seem to vary significantly

SO.

Looking to see what everyone else has paid for install of a LS unit into their differential housings and into the car.

Last edited by rkneeshaw; 04-03-2013 at 07:36 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:39 PM   #12
rkneeshaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloII///M View Post
It's a pain to do correctly and you do need a set of enormous snap-ring pliers (Snap-on and Cornwell both sell them and I have a set... they're not cheap) and a dial gauge to check the backlash.

Getting the bearings off of the stock open diff is difficult without damaging them, and the bearings are impossible to find. If you get the bearings off and successfully press them onto the LSD and swap the ring gear over, you still need to check the backlash and adjust it with differing shim thicknesses. The gear setup should follow the gears but the LSD is not always perfectly dimensioned as compared to the stock unit. You can't buy the shims from BMW, so you do what diff builders do and buy up a bunch of stock differentials to harvest the shims. I have a huge collection of them and still had to have two of them surface ground at a machine shop to get the right backlash when I swapped ratios last year.

Some guys will get away with just swapping in the LSD and not bother checking any of that and they'll get lucky. Or they won't get lucky and the R+P will eat itself after 5,000 miles. I personally wouldn't take the chance... too much hassle just getting the diff in and out of the car.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...282&highlight= - shows the snap ring pliers you need to get the shims out.
Thank you Solo, great info, and on par with what I'm gathering from my research. Makes me somewhat nervous using a local shop (I live in northern michigan where there are no dedicated BMW indy shops) install this for me. What are the odds that any random transmission shop would have a collection of proper-sized shims they could use to aid the install if I'm not lucky enough to have proper backlash at first crack of the install?

Old 04-03-2013, 07:45 PM   #13
rkneeshaw

Also, if installing just the LSD and not changing the gear ratio, doesn't that mean the shop won't have to remove and reinstall the pinion?

And if I might ask, how does this look for a parts list for when I drop the car off:

* Oil seals
* New bolts for ring gear
* New diff bushings

Anything else?

Last edited by rkneeshaw; 04-03-2013 at 07:51 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:49 PM   #14
SoloII///M

My Ride: Many
Correct, they will not remove and reinstall the pinion. So the pinion depth and torque don't need to be checked.

The only reason I did what I did was I had an installed LSD that was already properly set up, but I wanted a different gear ratio. The BMW shims may very well be used in other cars... but I doubt it. So I would not expect a shop to have them.

I didn't replace the ring gear bolts. My diff bushing was fine so I didn't touch it. You will need new oil seals, the old ones don't come out easily.

Last edited by SoloII///M; 04-03-2013 at 07:53 PM.
SoloII///M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:28 PM   #15
lab rat

My Ride: '02 330iT
I think I paid about $300. That was just to install the gears. Taking the diff out is pretty easy DIY.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:41 AM   #16
MSportBMW

My Ride: E46, EVO8 MR
I would budget 1 days labour
MSportBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:59 AM   #17
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipez4664 View Post
i would say $500-700 labor if everything is a direct swap. I went the e46m3 subframe route which has cost me $2000+ so far and my car is still on a lift. Most shops wont resize or balance a BMW driveshaft which make anything custom a costly option.
OT...cough...96-99 M3 5sp driveshaft...cough...
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:24 AM   #18
lab rat

My Ride: '02 330iT
I heard that it wasn't that easy. Can't remember why. Maybe the output shaft size?

EDIT: nevermind. I misunderstood. I thought you were suggesting e36 diff swap.

Last edited by lab rat; 04-04-2013 at 11:25 AM.
lab rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:38 AM   #19
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
Quote:
Originally Posted by lab rat View Post
I heard that it wasn't that easy. Can't remember why. Maybe the output shaft size?

EDIT: nevermind. I misunderstood. I thought you were suggesting e36 diff swap.
Going OT...but the E46 330 used the same ZF320 gearbox in a US Spec E36 M3. An E46 M3 5sp swap...you swap in the ZF320 and the E36 M3 (96-99) US SPEC driveshaft.

I believe the 328 uses the Getrag 250...same size as the ZF320 I think. So it might work or at least be close.
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:42 AM   #20
wanganstyle

My Ride: 1998 M3 / 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkneeshaw View Post
Thank you Solo, great info, and on par with what I'm gathering from my research. Makes me somewhat nervous using a local shop (I live in northern michigan where there are no dedicated BMW indy shops) install this for me. What are the odds that any random transmission shop would have a collection of proper-sized shims they could use to aid the install if I'm not lucky enough to have proper backlash at first crack of the install?
Chances of a random transmission shop having the proper sized thickness C clip for a E46 non-m transmission??? 0% chance.

BMW does not sell these shims. they come only in a very small range; 3.3mm-3.8mm thickness.

BMW also does not sell the axel bearings; no bearing supplier will sell them either- BMW controls this on purpose- 2007+ newer cars have plastic ball bearings instead of the metal ones- the plastic units are not designed to be removed at all. Metal units can be extracted with precise perfect tools - If the shop doing your bearing removal does not have the perfect tooling...........you may not have any bearings/diff to use.

SKF, FAG, Koyo all make them for BMW OEM but OEM BMW supply only.

I Custom precision grind to exact needed thickness when building these units- the race floats in the e46 case and is not an easy chore to setup.

I use Giant German C clip pliers - Not the cheapest/common tool to find.

Which LSD unit are you going to use? Almost all of them require milling/clearance of case to install.

there is no OEM bmw LSD for e46 non-m that will directly install.

LSD dreamers thread

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=14989087
WSG Billet CNC LSD production Development
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...pdate-backdate
S54B32+E36 1997 M3 Sedan+DTA S100 alpha N
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1437471

Last edited by wanganstyle; 04-11-2013 at 11:43 AM.
wanganstyle is offline   Reply With Quote