E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:17 AM   #61
'busa

My Ride: E90 335i (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
Let us also not forget that there are non-religious people who are against gay marriage. Heck, my gay friends are split down the middle on it.
Do you have <insert demographic here> friends?

How many gay friends do you have? How many times did you discuss gay marriage with them? How many are for/against? What are the reasons for being against?
Old 04-03-2013, 07:21 AM   #62
Act of God

My Ride: 3.5 Liters of fury
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
Do you have <insert demographic here> friends?

How many gay friends do you have? How many times did you discuss gay marriage with them? How many are for/against? What are the reasons for being against?
I actually have several, my family business was a huge hair salon. Also, I live in New York.

“They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns then it will be through the bullet.” - Saul Alinsky, quoting Lenin

Last edited by Act of God; 04-03-2013 at 07:21 AM.
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:57 AM   #63
'busa

Quote:
I actually have several, my family business was a huge hair salon. Also, I live in New York.
So what's the breakdown for/against?

What's the reasoning against?
Old 04-03-2013, 08:12 AM   #64
Act of God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
So what's the breakdown for/against?

What's the reasoning against?
Well the half or so (we're only talking about like 8 people here) that are for it are generally hardcore democrats anyway so they are talking point regurgitators/facebook posters. I have one friend that is super GOP and he is on my train of thought that government has no role in it for anyone. He's also religious though. Our other friend thinks that marriage has a definition just like bicycle, and you can't petition the government to call a tricycle a bicycle. A couple just don't care and think its much ado about nothing. These are all people in their 30's. 3 of them I lived with in my fraternity house in college.

“They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns then it will be through the bullet.” - Saul Alinsky, quoting Lenin
Old 04-03-2013, 08:17 AM   #65
'busa

Thanks for the answer.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:38 AM   #66
rdsesq
ouroboros autorotica

My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelratr View Post
But it's stupid to try to look down on the guy over this "incident".
It is stupid to try, it is absolutely acceptable to do.
"Do. Or not do. There is no try"

Its perfectly fine to crucify this guy in the court of public opinion for his statement. He comes back with some insincere apology (perhaps to try and reduce the financial damage his statement made to his foundation) and call him out that such an apology is also . He wants to be a public figure, pontificating over the airways...(as Sherlock Holmes said) "well, well, well..such is the price of fame."

There are those here which have sided with the basic tenant of his statement, referring to homosexuality as abhorrent. Such is their right, but such is the right of other so express their scorn as well. Free speech cuts both ways.

quis custodiet ipsos custodes
rdsesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:47 AM   #67
rdsesq
ouroboros autorotica

Quote:
Well the half or so (we're only talking about like 8 people here) that are for it are generally hardcore democrats anyway so they are talking point regurgitators/facebook posters. I have one friend that is super GOP and he is on my train of thought that government has no role in it for anyone. He's also religious though. Our other friend thinks that marriage has a definition just like bicycle, and you can't petition the government to call a tricycle a bicycle. A couple just don't care and think its much ado about nothing. These are all people in their 30's. 3 of them I lived with in my fraternity house in college.
Well, if two of the eight, truly don't care, you can hardly put them on one side or the other. At best you would have to drop the list from eight to six and say that it is a 2 for 1 split for. With some additional who don't care either way. To count "no comments" as either for or against is bad statistical representation, would you not agree?

Old 04-03-2013, 02:56 PM   #68
Rhumb

My Ride: 2001 M3 Coupe
Question: Aren't most pedophiles heterosexual? If so, using Carson's logic, should we thus ban heterosexual marriage as somehow condoning, even encouraging pedophilia?
Rhumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:18 PM   #69
Act of God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhumb View Post
Question: Aren't most pedophiles heterosexual? If so, using Carson's logic, should we thus ban heterosexual marriage as somehow condoning, even encouraging pedophilia?
I always imagine a kiddie toucher touching little boys with weird mustaches and eye glasses that are too big for their face.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:33 PM   #70
phrozen06
NA V8

My Ride: E46, E92 M3, R32 VW
Send a message via Yahoo to phrozen06
Quote:

S65: 4.0 Liter, V8, 414 hp @8,300 rpm, 295 lb/ft @3900 rpm, 445 lb, DOHC, 12:1 C/R, crankshaft 44 lb, wet sump.
2 oil pumps,double vanos variable valve timing, EMS: MSS60, 8 electronically controlled individual throttle butterflies.
4 valves per cylinder, cracked trapezoidal connecting rods, brake energy regeneration. Ion-flow combustion monitoring.

phrozen06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:45 PM   #71
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
What "logic" are you referring to? Carson didn't say homosexuals are pedophiles.

Yes
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:15 AM   #72
Rhumb

My Ride: 2001 M3 Coupe
Quote:
What "logic" are you referring to? Carson didn't say homosexuals are pedophiles.
Carson: "...no group, be they gays, be they NAMBLA, be they people who believe in bestiality - it doesn't matter what they are, they don't get to change the definition."

The not so subtle inference of equivalency between NAMBLA (National Man/Boy Love Association) and gays in regards to marriage, a rather crude old rhetorical sleight of hand inserting emotional red herrings as part of one's argumentative logical structure. Why then does he even mention NAMBLA or bestiality in his statement? Why not, say, the Catholic Church or the Family Research Council. The man is no dope and he clearly knew what he was saying when he was trying to create/infer a level of logical equivalency.
Rhumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:24 AM   #73
'busa

Quote:
Carson: "...no group, be they gays, be they NAMBLA, be they people who believe in bestiality - it doesn't matter what they are, they don't get to change the definition."

The not so subtle inference of equivalency between NAMBLA (National Man/Boy Love Association) and gays in regards to marriage, a rather crude old rhetorical sleight of hand inserting emotional red herrings as part of one's argumentative logical structure. Why then does he even mention NAMBLA or bestiality in his statement? Why not, say, the Catholic Church or the Family Research Council. The man is no dope and he clearly knew what he was saying when he was trying to create/infer a level of logical equivalency.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:32 AM   #74
Xcelratr

Quote:

He's not inferring equivalency, he's outright stating equivalency. There's nothing subtle about it.

However, he's stating their equivalency with regard to his statement about who has the authority to change the definition of marriage. And from his POV, it's a factually correct statement.

Just because he states that lack-of-marriage-definition-changing-authority is something they have in common doesn't mean he's saying they are otherwise the same.

If I say "no one can convince me to buy a lottery ticket, not an astronaut, a Nazi, a giraffe, no one" does that mean I think astronauts are long-necked Nazis? No, it doesn't. It means none of them (along with everyone else) can influence my lottery ticket decision. If you choose to extrapolate my unstated feelings on the similarities between astronauts, Nazis and giraffes without relevant statements from me, that's your responsibility.

Yes

Last edited by Xcelratr; 04-04-2013 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Typed "inferring" in 2nd paragraph, meant "stating"
Old 04-04-2013, 12:03 PM   #75
Act of God

Quote:
He's not inferring equivalency, he's outright stating equivalency. There's nothing subtle about it.

However, he's inferring their equivalency with regard to his statement about who has the authority to change the definition of marriage. And from his POV, it's a factually correct statement.

Just because he states that lack-of-marriage-definition-changing-authority is something they have in common doesn't mean he's saying they are otherwise the same.

If I say "no one can convince me to buy a lottery ticket, not an astronaut, a Nazi, a giraffe, no one" does that mean I think astronauts are long-necked Nazis? No, it doesn't. It means none of them (along with everyone else) can influence my lottery ticket decision. If you choose to extrapolate my unstated feelings on the similarities between astronauts, Nazis and giraffes without relevant statements from me, that's your responsibility.
Agreed, excellent point.

Old 04-04-2013, 12:11 PM   #76
Xcelratr

Quote:
Agreed, excellent point.
Thanks.

Don't get me wrong, I completely disagree with Carson's stance on gay marriage, and he and I probably would agree on very little when it comes to religion's role in society at all.

But I also disagree with people that want to take a statement like this and blow it up into more than it is just to advance their cause.

Yes
Old 04-04-2013, 12:21 PM   #77
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
Limited government. Gays do what they want. Straights do what they want. Whites, blacks, browns, yellows do whatever you want... Just don't come to me to foot the bill for your desires and mistakes. Make your tomorrow's via hard work today.

You want to do drugs? Fine, but don't ask me to cover your healthcare.

You want to illegally come into the country? Fine, but don't look to me for your healthcare, children's education, food, etc.

We need to get away from this religious right v atheist left and move towards nanny state and tyranny v self reliance and choice.

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Wrapping an E46 in Vinyl : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=bronze
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:38 PM   #78
'busa

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
Limited government. Gays do what they want. Straights do what they want. Whites, blacks, browns, yellows do whatever you want... Just don't come to me to foot the bill for your desires and mistakes. Make your tomorrow's via hard work today.

You want to illegally come into the country? Fine, but don't look to me for your healthcare, children's education, food, etc.

We need to get away from this religious right v atheist left and move towards nanny state and tyranny v self reliance and choice.
Not sure that's what we're discussing here, but glad to see you're back.

Where do you stand on gay marriage?
Old 04-04-2013, 12:39 PM   #79
rdsesq
ouroboros autorotica

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post

And "gays doing what they want" includes them using the term marriage, right?

You want a military to defend the land, sea, & air? Fine, but don't look to me to pay for it. I'll take my chances on my own.

You want any public roads, or water quality standard, or any recourse to legal action against someone? Fine, but don't expect me to pay for your use of them. Cough up the money yourself.

Face it Chase. If you want any semblance of something which is not complete anarchy? You have some variant of a nanny state. The question is not "do we need a nanny state?" The question is "how much of a nanny state should we have?"

Old 04-04-2013, 12:41 PM   #80
'busa

Quote:
Hmmm... I disagree. If you list one thing, then follow it up by two disgusting ones (NAMBLA and bestiality) it's kind of clear to me.

Listing an astronaut, a Nazi and a giraffe is not only weird, but follows no logic.

If you list three wildly different things, it implies that you mean to encompass many different things. If you list one and follow it by two things that have something clearly in common (disorder of a sexual nature) and that first one happens to have a sexual component, you're clearly saying something.

He's lumping them in together, and there's no two ways about it.

Last edited by 'busa; 04-04-2013 at 12:42 PM.
'busa is offline   Reply With Quote