E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2013, 12:39 PM   #1
paraklas
OEM ///Member

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
All O2 Sensors and catalytic converters gone, CEL. Options?

Today got a check engine light, I knew this day would come

The check engine light will illuminate when doing prolonged engine braking, i.e. descending a mountain on 3rd gear for 40 minutes and so. The codes are the following (except the last one which is because of the DISA delete, that does not trigger a check engine light)

Apparently it is time for a complete O2 sensor replacement:

Problem is that, I believe both catalyst converters are also gone, as I can see huge chunks of them stuck around the post-cat O2 sensors; that is the reason that the check engine does not get triggered, as the cat fragments act as a defouler. However I think given the codes above that the pre-cat sensors need replacement too.

At price of $450 per sensor and $3100 for catalyst converters, there is no way I'm getting any replacement from dealership.

What options do I have, for the RHD E46? No ebay headers/no cats responses please, I want the car emissions legal.

P.S, car has 4 catalytic converters, 2 right at the exhaust manifold and another 2 where the 2 resonators are placed in US-spec cars. I am seeking options for the first set on the exhaust manifold only.

Edit: This thread is in the F/I as I have the ESS TS2 kit and the alternative options that I'm looking should be "compatible" with it...

Last edited by paraklas; 04-01-2013 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Auto-save 1364834831
paraklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:46 PM   #2
MachRc
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 2003 Technik S1 M3
possibly look for part out of crashed totaled cars in your region. Reset reset the light to see if it comes back(i have and it never came back, peake code reader) and take the time to search for junkyards. If you know some body shops, they may have a list of yards that you may be able to get some used cats with..other than that the 4 sensors, just pay for the new ones. last time I checked bosch sensors 02 were 100$ a pop.

"And all of my limitations begin to fade away. In this place I have freedom It's here I wish to stay.
Thoughts become distant feelings, I'm going with the flow. I'll just sit still now and begin by letting go...
begin by letting go...."
MachRc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:51 PM   #3
paraklas
OEM ///Member

The CEL only comes back at sustained engine braking condition where rpm is in the 2900-3000rpm (I believe 3000rpm is the trigger for the ECU to check for cat sensor operation/efficiency). Last time it appeared it was 1 year ago, in identical condition. All the wrecks here come from UK with 100k + miles on them. Unfortunately not many E46 with low mileage anymore.

Going to check some junkyards for complete exhaust manifold as the last resort though. I was thinking a set of aftermarket cats to replace the ones welded on the exhaust manifold with OEM sensors, but I have no idea what fits underneath
Old 04-01-2013, 08:04 PM   #4
AndyN

My Ride: ESS TS2 325ci
Schmiedmann have introduced a RHD e46 manifold that has race cats in place. The only problem is there is something like a 50 working day wait on them but they are around the 700 euro mark. Check them out.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:49 AM   #5
paraklas
OEM ///Member

I have e-mailed them as I can't seem to find the part you mention on their side, also got negative answer from 1 UK breaker
Old 04-02-2013, 09:22 AM   #6
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
I'd find out what the Bosch part # is for the sensors. I know BMW wants $300 or so for a precat O2 for my 04 330. Same sensor on eBay for $100 in a Bosch box.
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:51 PM   #7
paraklas
OEM ///Member

With the connectors as well? That can be a good solution. Although, I do need the actual catalytic converter as the existing ones are now fragments. A huge chunk of the cat converter resides on the tip of the bank 1 post cat sensor which prevents it from being triggered all the time.

I have found this on ebay, seller tells me they have 77000 miles on them. I am thinking of getting these, as they already come with the sensors, have some new cats welded and be done with it, but that 77000 mile is what puts me off.

The exhaust manifold and sensors are identical on all EU / RHD / E46 from M54B22 to M54B30. I.e. these will fit

Image of the cat chunk on the sensor tip

Last edited by paraklas; 04-02-2013 at 01:21 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:44 PM   #8
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
Yes, plug and play.
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:30 AM   #9
paraklas
OEM ///Member

After some research:

For around $305 I can get the OEM Bosch Pre and Post cat sensors, brand new, delivered, but will also need replacement catalytic converter
For around $250 I can get the OEM exhaust manifolds, 4 sensors, used with 77000 miles, delivered, in good working order
Old 04-09-2013, 01:35 PM   #10
zaharias

My Ride: Now has a 3lt :P
Why don't you weld 2 new 200 cell metal cats? I believe you will be fine with smog and emission and maybe have some gains..
My engine swap (M54B30) came from a RHD vert, so my exhaust system is same as yours.. i have removed the cats (first section and added an x-pipe) and i only have the cats that are on the manifold and car is still legal with emissions..
Old 04-09-2013, 02:11 PM   #11
paraklas
OEM ///Member

I have ordered OEM manifolds with the cats plus 4 sensors. So now I have the luxury of either leaving as it came or cutting/welding new cats. I was quoted 400 euro for 2 "standard" cat converters plus labor to cut/weld to manifold. How much do the 200cell metal cats cost there? I'm mostly worried about triggering the engine light due to cat efficiency below threshold.

I plan to remove the next set of converters when I'm going to deal with the rest of the exhaust system
Old 04-09-2013, 02:23 PM   #12
zaharias

My Ride: Now has a 3lt :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by paraklas View Post
I have ordered OEM manifolds with the cats plus 4 sensors. So now I have the luxury of either leaving as it came or cutting/welding new cats. I was quoted 400 euro for 2 "standard" cat converters plus labor to cut/weld to manifold. How much do the 200cell metal cats cost there? I'm mostly worried about triggering the engine light due to cat efficiency below threshold.

I plan to remove the next set of converters when I'm going to deal with the rest of the exhaust system
You went OEM route..

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...367&highlight= Here is my exhaust mods with videos.

Magnaflow 200 cell metal cat costs 100-130 euros from ebay..
Old 04-09-2013, 02:33 PM   #13
paraklas
OEM ///Member

I bought the manifolds so that I can experiment with cats etc without having my car immobilized I will check the magnaflows too, as I would prefer to have something brand new, better flowing.
80 euros for everything

Last edited by paraklas; 04-09-2013 at 02:36 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:39 PM   #14
robbieracer

My Ride: 2003 M3 6MT
I have the magnaflow 200 cats on mine and they work well. I welded them in at the back of sect. 1 and extended of o2 wires.

ESS VT2-500 | Tein S/Koni | Focal/Zapco | VAC Motorsports High Flow Oil Pump
robbieracer is offline   Reply With Quote