E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2013, 12:58 PM   #201
bostonsc4

My Ride: BMW 323i
Well today in the gym sucked. My workout was basically ruined by an elitist crossfitter. Gym's only got 1 squat rack / 1 Barbell and this douchebag was on it for 50 minutes straight. He did: legs/ arms / shoulders / asshol3 / pinky toe in his WOD where he bounced around the gym tying up the only rack and 3 other areas at once.

My actual workout after 50 minutes of waiting...
Lots of BB standing overhead press which I was really happy with my numbers, I got 115 up for 4 coming down to the chest (wouldn't have dreamed of that at the beginning of the summer when we had the discussion of how far to come down)
Lots of shrugging and DB work. Idk, too pissed off to have a good workout, I basically wasted my entire pre workout waiting for that phagget to have some respect for other people in the gym.
bostonsc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:10 PM   #202
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonsc4 View Post
Well today in the gym sucked. My workout was basically ruined by an elitist crossfitter. Gym's only got 1 squat rack / 1 Barbell and this douchebag was on it for 50 minutes straight. He did: legs/ arms / shoulders / asshol3 / pinky toe in his WOD where he bounced around the gym tying up the only rack and 3 other areas at once.

My actual workout after 50 minutes of waiting...
Lots of BB standing overhead press which I was really happy with my numbers, I got 115 up for 4 coming down to the chest (wouldn't have dreamed of that at the beginning of the summer when we had the discussion of how far to come down)
Lots of shrugging and DB work. Idk, too pissed off to have a good workout, I basically wasted my entire pre workout waiting for that phagget to have some respect for other people in the gym.
Why do you think people that do multiple things at a time are crossfitters? There is not such thing as a crossfitter unless you're in a crossfit facility. Did you ask to work in?
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:19 PM   #203
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Sounds like you need to find a new gym, I usually have 3-4 back to back exercises in the power rack and purposely design my workouts so I'm not jumping around. Only one squat rack is ridiculous!
Old 08-02-2013, 01:35 PM   #204
DylloS

I just read 1 barbell. That's fuucking ridiculous.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:57 PM   #205
bgsmith

My Ride: No longer an e46
Send a message via AIM to bgsmith
Agreed join a new gym, same boat here I am usually on a power rack for several exercises in a row, but then again my gym has 3 of them plus several barbells, do you mean only one extea that isn't on a bench?
Old 08-02-2013, 02:12 PM   #206
bostonsc4

BostonSC4's Progress Log

Yeah my gym is pathetic. We've got 4 barbells TOTAL in the gym. 2 barbells for flat bench and 1 for incline, one power rack. But what sucks is 90% of the time people are doing non-power rack movements in the power rack. Makes me want to pull hair out of my head. Im just gonna have to start going really early.

Mike I was going to ask if I could work in, but the way his WOD was going was uninterrupted, like one thing to the next to the next to the next, and he had way more weight on the bar than I'd be willing to take off / replace during my set in.

I know how small my gym is, and I'm aware of people waiting behind me for things so when I'm there I am respectful to my best ability to not take an hour or so. I also realize how rude it is in a gym our size to take up 3-4 stations at once during peak hours and not even ask people if they'd like to set in etc. oh we'll, going to basic in a month and will have AF gyms for free so I'm going to just stick this out.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-02-2013, 03:02 PM   #207
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud

My Ride: a franken-e46 325i
Talk to your gym so they can regulate on hoggers like that

[bimmerapp]

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave
Fill that hole in your soul by buying more material goods
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=15286051
buy my sedan rear seats (gray leather)

sell me sedan A pillars!! (black fabric)
XKxRome0ox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 01:32 PM   #208
bostonsc4

My brother is home from deployment!! Our first lift was today. And, I felt like I was going to yack. Its a completely different style of lifting, he's very much into bodybuilding so for the next 3 weeks I'll be doing that type of split. We deadlifted today, and I don't know what the difference was but I put up numbers I haven't come close to before. In summary I did 275 x 3, 275 x 4, and 275 x 5. I tried 315 but couldn't get it Next time.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:48 AM   #209
DylloS

I always thought your lifts were body building style
Old 08-04-2013, 12:15 PM   #210
bostonsc4

BostonSC4's Progress Log

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
I always thought your lifts were body building style
They typically were but this summer it shifted towards a powerlifting routine. I would focus on the primary compound movement of the day and do that for an hour etc. then burn out with isolation stuff but pretty low volume of that.

Old 08-13-2013, 06:27 PM   #211
bostonsc4

So this starts week 2 of lifting with my brother since he's been home from deployment, and while working out with him is amazing because I push myself harder than I ever have before, it uncovers a LOT of flaws in my lifting that went unnoticed by me until I had a workout partner like him.

My body is unevenly developed. My strength too. We aren't 100% sure why that is, but I've got a few good guesses. So he noticed this because today we did chest, and while spotting me he noticed that my form is very uneven. On BB flat bench, the bar is crooked the entire path. When I reach my chest with the BB, the left side has good elbow angle, the bar is right below my pec where it should be, and the right side the BB is up above my nipple. Right elbow angle was flared way out. When I put the bar up, it goes up cleanly, but it travels a crooked path instead of linear across my whole chest. My left arm locks out before my right, and the bar follows. To me this whole time it felt great and fine, I never even noticed. As soon as he pointed that out, and spotted the bar properly to be more linear and use both arms, my right arm and pec were tired instantly, could hardly do the sets I was asking it to do. I was pretty surprised and a little discouraged.

We then thought back and I know that the definition of my pecs is not as developed on the right, my arm itself isn't as developed as my left, to include the trap! I'm right handed, and always using that side, but I think the culprit is my awful posture. I slouch so badly, shoulders are always rolled forwards and sulking the top of my torso downwards. Its just been like that my whole life, and I've tried working on it but its at a point where a brace might not be a bad idea. So for now I'm going to stop BB all together, and focus on DB presses to strengthen my right chest a lot. I've got to start focusing more on contracting that chest portion and not allowing my left to take over the weight.

But I'm going to basic training in 2 weeks, so all of this is almost irrelevant until I graduate there, to which I'll be starting over entirely.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:56 PM   #212
bgsmith

Don't worry, they'll teach you to stand up straight at basic.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:07 PM   #213
bostonsc4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsmith View Post
Don't worry, they'll teach you to stand up straight at basic.
I am hoping so. I would love to not have to force myself up straight and puff out my chest on purpose, I'd like to just do it naturally.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:33 AM   #214
bostonsc4

So I'm starting to get pretty nervous I leave for basic training in 5 days. I know for a fact I'm in the best shape conditioning wise of my life, but as you all know I did a ridiculous amount of miles this summer doing a cross country track pre season regiment. Well all the miles caught up to me, and I have really bad tendinitis in my right knee. I've been icing every day and taking triple fish oil servings and ibuprofen. It muffles the pain but I can tell when I'm off the NSAIDs the discomfort comes creeping back. I took 3 weeks off running, and went on a 3 mile run with my girlfriend the other day to see how I felt; by the end of the 2nd mile my knee was feeling uncomfortable again. Any tips of anything to just surpress this inflamation as much as humanly possible this week? I cannot go to basic in pain, I just won't make it through the tasks there that I've been training all summer for.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:52 AM   #215
bostonsc4

Saw a physical therapist today. He diagnosed me with Plica syndrome. Said its when you have your cartilage in your knee like normal, and you get a small fold in the cartilage over itself. Those appear genetically but in people with the syndrome they get that fold inflamed and irritated. It feels like a small thumb tack is pointing the wrong way under my knee cap. From over use type injury.

Good news he said that its the type of injury that isn't going to get "worse" in terms of the actual injury, I'm not going to tear anything not going to break something... The pain is just going to become linear and always present in basic but I should be able to push through it. Cannot believe I'm going to boot camp in 3 days.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:36 AM   #216
bostonsc4

Well I'm off to Boston to stay in the hotel before being shipped out to basic training in the morning. Its been great around here fellas, I appreciate each and every one of you and wish you success in accomplishing your fitness goals.

Off to basic, guys!
Old 11-08-2013, 08:03 PM   #217
bostonsc4

BostonSC4's Progress Log

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1383962494.306587.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	156.7 KB
ID:	534001

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1383962517.791779.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	197.5 KB
ID:	534002

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1383962554.352918.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	534003

Last is night before BMT and my first day out of basic.

Old 11-08-2013, 08:03 PM   #218
bostonsc4

Whats up everybody? Guess whose back!

I just graduated Basic Military Training last weekend, and I can honestly say it has changed me in a ton of ways. So basically it was 2 months of waking up at 430am every day, going outside and PT'ing, then sitting through class and training. Lots and lots of screaming, failure, broken pride, and at the end a new person. I feel incredibly proud of who I've become, both physically and mentally. I graduated as an honor graduate in the top 10% of 800 graduating airman. I was a student leader, and got a 98% on my final PT test. Finished up at 69 pushups/ min, 60 situps / min, 15 strict pullups, 9:01 mile and a half run. Now I'm currently at tech school, but I'm at a Navy base enrolled in Navy Seabee school. My AFSC is structural apprentice in the Air Force, so I've got 17.5 weeks of construction combat training ahead of me before I find out where I'm getting stationed. I put in for Hawaii, San Francisco, and South Carolina, but we'll see what happens. Debated going overseas, but thats another disucssion I may open up in OT. Its great to be back, I've got a ton of reading to do to see how you all have been holding up, and I can't wait to become a presence again on the boards.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:14 AM   #219
DylloS

They are starving you to death!
Old 11-11-2013, 09:23 AM   #220
bgsmith

That's what basic will do to you, I bet he is an inch taller too from learning to stand up straight.